[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Happened?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: the-evolution-of-samus-aran.jpg (24 KB, 296x164) Image search: [Google]
the-evolution-of-samus-aran.jpg
24 KB, 296x164
These three games were the foundation of 2D action adventure. You were dropped off on an alien world with nothing. You had to explore these mysterious Chozo planets in an open-ended fashion to find all of Samus's weapons and abilities. Players used Samus's abilites to progress further within the alien worlds. After Super Metroid what happened, why did the main series become so linear? Why did the main serious dropped the foundation it started on?
>>
>Complains about games becoming linear
>Posts metroids 1 and 2
lol
>>
The issue isn't that the games became linear, the issue is that the games stopped fooling you into thinking they're non-linear.

Metroid has never been that open, it's just had fantastic level design that leads you to where you want to go based on visual, sound, and gameplay cues.

If you wanted a real open 2D action adventure game, you play La-mulana.
>>
>>333133457
>What happened

Retro did
>>
>>333133556
Metroid 2 wasn't linear though.
You had to backtrack quite a lot.
>>
>>333134119
>If it has backtracking it's non-linear.
No, you idiot. It means you're still going along the line, you're just turning around at some points.
>>
>>333134189
metroid 2 does not have a set order in which you have to collect power ups/defeat metroids in
it's non-linear
>>
>>333134189
So going back the exact same tunnel to kill a metroid almost at the beginning when you're in mid point of the game isn't back tracking? And the game didn't have any shortcuts either.
>>
>>333133457

>These three games were the foundation of 2D action adventure.
Stop. Metroid is my favorite Nintendo property, but it did not create 2D Action/Platformers.
>>
File: metroid2_map1.gif (46 KB, 1550x900) Image search: [Google]
metroid2_map1.gif
46 KB, 1550x900
>>333134312
Sorry my definition of "Non-linear" was completely changed by La-mulana. How exactly is this not linear?

>>333134315
I never said it isn't backtracking, I'm saying backtracking doesn't make something non-linear.
>>
>>333134189

Metroid II gives you the option to go back to any previous area. As well as killing metroids and finding power ups in any order you choose, as long as it is an area you have unlocked from the lava.

What you're complaining about is that it doesn't have 'sequence breaking'. But if you're going to claim Metroid II doesn't have freedom, you can say the same about every Metroid game. Just replace Lava with certain items and bosses you have to kill before a new area is open to you.
>>
>>333134442
>I never said it isn't backtracking, I'm saying backtracking doesn't make something non-linear.
Yeah, sorry. I misinterpreted what you wrote first, so I take it back. Yeah, in that case, metroid 2 is sort of non-linear. You can deviate the path you take slightly, but not as much as in Super Metroid.
>>
>>333133457
>Why did the main serious dropped the foundation it started on?
Because the only mainline Metroid after it that wasn't a remake made for newcomers was Fusion, which took on a mission based structure so it could focus more on set pieces, combat and bosses. It's way more interested in being a cool handheld run and gun than a slow atmospheric exploration game, and does a good job at being that.

If you're including the Prime series then that assumptions wrong. The first Prime follows the same formula as Metroid 1 and Super with an optional hint system, and Echoes has a similar structure to Return of Samus with its "hunt for shit in sub-areas connected by a larger hub that opens up over time" design philosophy. Only Corruption was particularly linear.
>>
File: 1458564150333.png (2 MB, 1563x3500) Image search: [Google]
1458564150333.png
2 MB, 1563x3500
>>
File: Metroid.jpg (1 MB, 2096x1680) Image search: [Google]
Metroid.jpg
1 MB, 2096x1680
>>333134836
>Posting that outdated image
lol
>>
>>333134875
>Skipping Metroid II when it's a perfectly fine game
I like AM2R too but it's not even finished yet anon.
>>
>>333134875
>fusion

shit list tbqh
>>
>>333134875
AM2R isn't finished yet, though.
>>
>>333134875
>skipping M2
Its like you hate fun
>>
File: o5ueT[1].png (8 KB, 645x253) Image search: [Google]
o5ueT[1].png
8 KB, 645x253
Would you prefer if Metroid 5 was closer to Metroid 2, Super Metroid, or La-mulana in terms of Linearity?
>>
>>333135019
Fusion only gets shit because it has to compete with fucking Super Metroid, it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination and it's miles ahead of what we ended up getting later
>>
>>333135227
It gets shit because its the most linear game in the series and the stupid ass navigation and elevator room conversations.
>>
>>333135224

I want a focus on hunting Metroids like Metroid II in a more open ended world like Super/Zero Mission. Game could have both Metroids and other bosses.

But I'd like them to do something besides Space Pirates for once. Maybe have it be a Metroid infestation on a Federation world. And stuff like Federation security robots and experiments attack you along with the Metroids and indigenous alien enemies.
>>
>>333135227
>People say Fusion is shit because Other M borrows a couple of elements from it

Are Disney movies shit because of Made for TV Sequels then?
>>
>>333134875
original metroid and metroid 2 should be in a "hardcore" tier thou
>>
>>333135227

>Fusion only gets shit because it has to compete with fucking Super Metroid
Before Other M came out, Fusion got 'shit' because it completely changed the formula of the 2D games. Limiting much of your exploration to the one area the story let you go to.

Its still a decent game. But was a sign of how linear and story driven Sakamoto wanted the series to be. Which is not what Metroid should be.
>>
>>333135408
Hence, it has to compete with Super Metroid. I'd kill to get another Fusion game in the current market, linearity or no.
>>
>all these anti metroid 1 and 2 babies

The fuck? They're short and simple games, it takes nothing to beat them
>>
>>333135727
I can see skipping M1 because of ZM, but not M2
>>
>>333135939
Skipping M1 because of ZM
Skipping M2 because of AM2R
>>
>>333136326
>Skip M2 because of AM2R
That's like saying you should play a game with mods before playing it vanilla.
>>
>>333136326
AM2R isnt complete, so im not wrong yet
>>
File: met.png (295 KB, 806x626) Image search: [Google]
met.png
295 KB, 806x626
>>333134875
>>
>>333136865
Yes? You're supposed to play STALKER with mods.
>>
>>333136932
>Go from a fast paced colourful atmospheric open ended 2D sidescroller to a slow-paced linear backtrack-fest with only two colours and a grating OST.
Do you not realize how retarded you sound?
>>
>>333137024
>Implying Metroid 2 is a bad game
>>
>>333137063
It's not a bad game, it's just going to be extremely jarring.
>>
>>333136932
The list is still shit on the count you put Metroid as optional and Zero Mission as must play.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.