[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point in sprinting in FPS games? Why not just increase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 200px-ReachAA_-_Sprint.png (28 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
200px-ReachAA_-_Sprint.png
28 KB, 200x200
What is the point in sprinting in FPS games? Why not just increase the normal running speed?
>>
because casuals can't think/react quickly enough
>>
>>333061946
Bad players can only deal with speeds so slow that actually trying to move across the map at those speeds would be excruciating.
>>
Sprinting actually has a downside compared to just moving.
>>
Because in most cases sprinting leaves you vulnerable. You have a choice between moving and getting to objectives faster, without being able to defend yourself. Or moving slowly while being able to return fire the entire way to the objective.
>>
Casuals and console peasants
>>
>>333062168
>>333063975
>>333062930
How is sprinting casual?
>>
>>333064150
Go play quake or UT and find out you stupid cod fag
>>
>>333064150
Effectively it makes people move slower, both for shooting and getting shot. Shooting somebody while you and your enemy are moving slower is easier than when they're moving fast.
>>
Sprinting is supposed to be a way to use your character against the map, but all it ever does in modern shooters is increase running speed. If a map is huge, you're supposed to be able to run over it quickly so you aren't an easy target, but in games like Call of Duty and Serious Sam 3 it's just a thing to do to move faster.
>>
TICTACS FOOL
>>
>>333061946
Creates a risk/reward element.

It's really not that bad of a mechanic for modern military shooters.
>>
>People say it's casual

>It's a small layer of depth *added* to a game where you exchange speed for positioning and movement in return for being vulnerable.

That's all there is to it. I like it, it's a clever mechanic, what is actually casual is the movement speed of games like halo 1 where you jog along at snails pace allowing guns like the magnum to annihilate everything.

desu everyone in here is just baiting. I've played quake and I've played UT99 (this one since the day it was released) and this thread reeks of underage.
>>
A good sprinting mechanic is when it prevents you from shooting and makes your footsteps louder, so it's only good for traversing the map, not running and gunning like a kid with adhd.
>>
>>333061946
>What is the point in sprinting in FPS games? Why not just increase the normal running speed?

Because you don't always want to be running at full speed. Sneaking up on the enemy, or making only sight changes to position is what you need, and it's better if you're moving at a slowed pace.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.