[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this so good and everything after it so terrible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9
Why was this so good and everything after it so terrible?
>>
it was serviceable

Rome was a well realized location, but the game was starting to show its retardation with the more video-gamey enemy classes, instead of having the more grounded approach of AC1 and 2

the game was also starting to get bloated with a feature that was completely unnecessary (reqruitment) because the ez-mode combat never warranted it as an essential mechanic. These bloated features all became even worse in Revelations, but from there on out the franchise turned into joke
>>
>>333040907

GOD TIER
Assassins Creed 2
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

OKAY TIER
Assassins Creed 1

SHIT TIER
Assassins Creed Revelations
Assassins Creed 3

STOPPED GIVING A SHIT TIER
all the other games after IV
>>
Reminder 2 and black flag are the only games in the series of any value
>>
Rogue is the only one worth playing because you're not forced to be one of the bad guys.
>>
>>333041458
I think Brotherhood is when the extra features actually worked though. It became bloated later, but the recruitment system was a fun little addition.
>>
>>333041728
Pretty much this.

Brotherhood was just 2 with one new mechanic
>>
Funny how most of /v/ said BF was the second best after 2 but it was hardly an AC game.
>>
>>333041845
And Rome. You can't underestimate the importance of Rome.
>>
>>333040907
Because the series' creator left after that.
>>
>>333042070
after AC1, nothing qualified as an AC game

you were just some faggot putting on daddy's clothes for revenge, and even then Ezio didn't have the balls to kill the retard, never mind that he murdered half of Italy to get himself into a position to do so, cuz muh history

I heard that Unity was 'brought back to its roots' or whatever fuck marketing-sounding bullshit they were saying at the time, but the series lost me after playing III
>>
>>333041458
>more video-gamey enemy classes
how is that a bad thing?
>>
>>333042070
>BF second best after 2
Its the best in the series
>hardly an AC game
That is a good thing
>>
>>333042786
it's fucking boring, that's why

you're also just argueing semantics, you know damn well why it's such an inspirationless convention; don't get your tits in a knot because the definition of 'video gamey' is being used as a negative connotation

to trigger your ass even further; other examples might include; flimsy wooden doors that are locked and you can't break open, chainway fences that you can't climb over, ankle-height blockades that you can't step over, etc. etc.
>>
All Ass Creed games (much like almost all ubisoft games) are complete shit at worst or just average at best.

Ass Creed 1 was the best mission wise. You're given a target and then you have to figure out one of the many different approaches to assassinating him without being noticed and then leave. There were a bunch of different scenarios to mix this up and make it interesting. It felt more like a minimalists Hitman. Almost everything else outside of those missions was boring though.

Ass 2 began to switch up the gameplay a little more which was nice but they added too many thing that made assassinations too easy. The actual assassinations themselves became much more linear than the first game too.

everything after that just went download fast. If they want a good Ass creed game they'd just have pure open assassin missions similar to 1 with some shit from 2 and then nothing from the other games and no other gay missions where you follow or listen to people. Just make the game shorter and make it all open assassination missions with different events and tools for each one.
>>
>>333042701
Unity was even worse
You revenged for a Templar as an Assassin, being controlled by some retarded council, no real French's revolution, get tricked by the final boss, killed own ally. Arno should switch to Templar from the start when he realized that Elsie was one.
>>
How shit was Syndicate?
>>
>>333041625
/thread
Asscreed rogue is a pretty decent spin-off of IV.
>>
>>333041625
I put revelations in okay tier. It wasn't great but it wasn't absolute shit either.
>>
I feel that Assassin's Creed games would benefit hugely from a stamina bar, it's quite evident that they want to make an ARPG, but are too scared to go full ARPG.
>>
File: identity2.jpg (389 KB, 770x578) Image search: [Google]
identity2.jpg
389 KB, 770x578
>>333044954
>it's quite evident that they want to make an ARPG, but are too scared to go full ARPG.
They actually kinda did that with that newer iOS game.
>>
>>333042070
>but it was hardly an AC game.

Funny, I wish it was even less of an AC game than it is. The pirate shit is the best part of the game. The story quests are just tedious.
>>
>>333045034
>Ubi wasted more manpower for this shit instead of fixing the real game
wew lads
>>
Assassin's Creed Unity is £11 on PS4
Thinking of buying it for my pleb little brother, is it worth that price?
>>
>>333045653
That's not too bad for it. Unity's above average for an Ass Creed game.

>inb4 the average is shit
>>
>>333045653
I paid $9 for it on PC, if you're in the mood for an AC game and just want to run around in France, then it's worth the money. If you just want a good story then maybe not. It's also one of the glitchiest AC games out there so go into it expecting to fall through the ground and people floating around.

Gameplay is an improvement on the older games and they made it tougher at the start on top of forcing stealth rather than running out to stab everyone like in the other games, and it's enjoyable to run around, but in the end it's still an AC game, so if you get burnt out easily this probably won't be worth it.
>>
I don't understand why everyone liked brotherhood so much
I liked 2 but I thought it was reaching at that point
brotherhood was boring as shit to me
>>
>>333045917
>It's also one of the glitchiest AC games out there so go into it expecting to fall through the ground and people floating around.

I've seen zero glitches the entire time I've played it. Why are people still insisting it's riddled with bugs two years later?
>>
>>333045653
I had fun exploring Paris. Didn't care much for the story and gameplay though.
>>
>>333046069
Haven't played the game in almost a year but I remember pedestrians spawning midair fucking everywhere but perhaps that's been fixed.
>>
>>333046069
I only got it a couple months back. I've fallen through the floor twice requiring a checkpoint reset, I've gotten stuck into a barrel twice while going for cover which also required a checkpoint reset, I've been stuck half way into the ground more than once with no way out like in picture related, I've had the stretchy limbs syndrome when it came to lockpicking, people and items float all the time when running around, I've seen people run through walls a couple times, and I've clipped into walls while going for cover more often than once. This is all after all the patches and DLC came out by the way.
>>
>>333045034
I played Syndicate recently and I think the combat would be a lot better with a Stamina system of sorts.

Just endlessly being able to press buttons in the combat just makes things too easy, there needs to be a degree of challenge other than "this enemy is off screen so you don't know if you have to counter them before it's too late"
>>
>>333046294
I dunno, man. I'm not denying this shit happens but it really feels like it's a rare case today after the patches.
>>
>>333045653
Part of the game is to get skill points. Skill points lets you gain new abilities, so it's rather important. How to get skill points you wondering? Obligatory co op missions, no joke. You won't find anyone to play it with at this point.
>>
>>333041625
This nigga gets it
Rogue is alright as well, worth a rush through the story missions. Borrowing multiplayer mechanics for the singleplayer was a neat idea

Bought Unity last sale and got a code for Syndicate with my 980, hoping they're decent
>>
>>333041625
Revelations was okay

best Ezio outfit, hookblade has two parts is fun
>>
>>333046747
Syndicate is "okay". It's really mediocre at times, and kinda okay at other times. It's less glitchy than unity.
>>
>>333046747
I played Rogue almost immediately after playing Black Flag and I got burnt out on it. The biggest mistake was bringing sailing back and making more maps as large as the world map from Black Flag. Other than that, Shay's story is a nice change up.
>>
>>333047197
Same here, played them back to back. Felt really burned out and ended up just rushing through Rogue. Figured that if I want to free-roam, I'd rather go back to BF and do it there.
>>
File: 1446515124076.png (32 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1446515124076.png
32 KB, 150x150
>>333046294
When will they learn?
>>
>>333047374
Honestly, I would've preferred a Rogue that has Shay's backstory as a prologue but then the rest of the game be Shay in Europe doing shit. Bring back the AC 2 location select thing. It would've made so much more sense and you could still have the tie-in with Unity.
>>
I really liked the first 3 games and black flag, revelations was ok as well. Wish they went back in that direction with just neat historical places/characters and playing a charming mofo that gives no fucks instead of trying to pander to every demographic and force in all the animus bullshit
>>
>>333046445
I don't know how bad it was earlier, but it's at least pretty stable than what people lead me to believe. That didn't stop me from getting a stupid amount of glitches here and there, and there were so many bodies sinking into the floor after dying for no reason.
>>
GOD TIER
AC 2
AC Brotherhood

GOOD TIER
AC 1

OK TIER
AC 3
AC Revelations

GOOD GAME, SHITTY AC TIER
AC Black Flag

SHIT TIER
Everything after Black Flag. Heard that Rogue is good but didn't play it.
>>
>>333048830
Rogue is Black Flag in AC3s setting
>>
Black Flag was good but the feels were out of control near the ending
>>
>>333040907
Because you were 15 when it came out and thus are clouded by your faggot opinions.
>>
>games I had fun playing
>games that I didn't have fun with
brotherhood
rev
unity
twinsanity
>>
>>333049357
I liked twinsanity
>>
>>333050246
good for you. thanks for telling me.
>>
>>333050546
thanks for telling me what you enjoyed too
>>
A
>>
>>333042070
It hardly being an Ass Creed game was what made it decent in the first place.

Stabbing people gets old pretty fast.
>>
>think desmond is going to become some modern day god assassin and save everything in a later title
>nah we're just going to make him sacrifice himself and keep shitting out gimmicky titles

series is a shadow of it's former self now
>>
>>333041625
There are no "God Tier" in Assassins Creed.
But if you take what you wrote and put everything down a step it's pretty correct.
>>
>>333049357
>games I had fun playing
brotherhood
rev
>games that I didn't have fun with
unity
twinsanitye
>>
>>333041728
I'd add the first one. But only for creating the franchise.
>>
>>333051280
They might resurrect him if it suits them, but the modern day story has been irreversably fucked at this point so I dont think it would matter.

Should just drop the animus bit entirely for further titles
>>
>>333051850
1 also had the best atmosphere after ac2 forli, and stoic Altair was great
>>
>>333042070
My biggest problem with the game is that it still is an AC game. If only they had made it stand alone, or that you didn't play as an assassin, it might have been really good..
>>
>>333051878
Actually for me the Animus and modern world shit was what made half of the amazing atmosphere in older titles, but I agree that they probably don't even know what it's about anymore in the new titles. The series really died with Desmond.
>>
>>333051981
Yeah. The setting was GOAT. There are WAY to few games set in the middle east before everything was bombed to shit.
>>
>>333052150
Same here but that was before they ruined any sense of adventure. In AC1 before 2 was released I was genuinely pondering what would come and the ways you'd fight the templars or if desmond would make it. And even 2's revelatory ending left things nice but they went nowhere with it
>>333052275
My thoughts exactly
>>
>>333048830
Rogue is better than 3, Unity and Syndicate
>>
>>333051981
>>333052582

>that guy who yelled ''Careful Altair!'' every time you left the assassin's area
>>
>>333052150
I completely gave up on the series 15 minutes in when playing Revelations.
But I'm checking out BF at the moment. And the best part about being in the "real world" is how fucking stupid everything is surrounding first civilisation. It's so obvious that they have NO CLUE about how to handle the story and just pulls everything out of their ass. But the first person view is nice.
>>
>>333053413
>It's so obvious that they have NO CLUE about how to handle the story and just pulls everything out of their ass

Yeah they should have just left it to a one/two time cameo when it comes to first civilisation, clue to their existence but no outright direct encounters, or maybe let Patrice finish the story instead of shoving him away and trying to milk the series
>>
>>333041625
>Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
Most overrated piece of shit ever.

Sure, the game looked nice and was comfy for a while, with the ship and signing and being a pirate. But the problem is that it has the worst mission variety of ALL assassins creed games - yes, even the first one.

Literally all you do is you tail a guy on foot, or you tail a guy with a ship (and that's really annoying). You maybe have like 5 missions where you need to kill something, but other than that this is it.

Both Unity and Syndicate are better games, even though they are still overdesigned Ubisoft: The game pieces of shit.
>>
>>333051280
I remember telling my pals about the end of AC3 since we were pretty hyped for it and how it's one big FUCK YOU, BUY AC IV.

Which was good. Black Flag was pretty great.
>>
I have played up to AC IV, but not completed it. Strangely I enjoyed all of them. Maybe I'm just easy to please or perhaps it's because I didn't play them all back to back? The only one I truly did not enjoy at all was the one with the nigress. I dropped it after the early mission to save that slave girl.
>>
File: 2015-02-05-095422.jpg (130 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2015-02-05-095422.jpg
130 KB, 960x544
>>333054742
I love the series but Liberation was pretty bad, so you didn't miss much. The starting area is the most fun area in the game since you can actually wander around and find stuff, but the story goes nowhere at all and the system for making money is horrendous. Playing as anything besides Assassin was also pointless, Slave was a poor man's Assassin and Noble couldn't even climb so it was unusable. It was also super glitchy like AC3. I had times where I could just swim on the ground and dive into it which was silly.
>>
>>333053935
The mission variety in these games have always been terrible. Syndicate was alright but as I was playing it I just wish I was fighting off the Spanish and selling rum with my mates. That and I couldn't get used to the awful controls. I don't even play these games for the story missions, I just love climbing shit in historically recreated cities. Who gives a shit about some retarded storyline about ancient aliens and how everyone in history was either an assassin or a templar?
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 477x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 477x324
>>333040907
>he didn't like raping and murdering as a pirate in Black Fag
>>
>>333055121
Edward didn't rape anyone. He just felt like his in-laws hated him because he was poor trash so he went off to become rich only to learn that the woman he did everything for was already dead. Then he dies to some Templar fuckos in his own home, his daughter becomes a sex slave and his son a Templay
>>
Holy shit why is syndicate uglier than unity?
>>
>>333055582
Didn't they revert back the engine they used in AC4 and then just ported over the gameplay changes from ACU because the ACU one was giving them a huge amount of trouble?
>>
>>333041625
Disturbingly accurate
>>
File: 1339112869527.png (266 KB, 659x563) Image search: [Google]
1339112869527.png
266 KB, 659x563
>playing rogue
>reading employee manual
>"IF YOU SEE ANYONE WEARING A HOOD REPORT THEM IMMEDIATELY"
>mfw
>>
>>333056573
The encyclopedia entries in Black Flag and Rogue were much better than "le sarcastic british man" writing in the other ones.
>>
>tfw wanting to play unity badly since muh napoleonic period
>tfw you need a supercharged pc to run it at smooth 25fps
>>
>>333055891
It's a shame, unity is one of the best looking games ever I think. Besides the glitches
>>
>>333041458
>>333041840
recruitment was cool for the fact that you could whisper in deadly rains of knives

Sending people onto missions to level them up purely so you could send them on harder missions was unneeded circlejerk
So was the addition of endless strings of random items and recipes
>>
Does the plot ever advance again outside of the animus after Desmond dies? All this absterfo office faceless character shit is boring as fuck.
>>
>>333053935
This. Black Flag is a terrible fucking game that only gets credit on /v/ cause "muh pirates, muh comfy".
>>
>>333059360
The Templars are trying to get into First Civ genes so they can use an Animus on them, that's been the main story behind that while Juno or whoever farts around trying to take control of The Cloud while the Assassins try and convert the few people inside Abstergo and those who are using the at-home Animus systems. That's pretty much all modern day is now.
>>
>>333058089
I felt the same about Syndicate.

Then I got a good PC and realised the game itself was trash
>>
Going from Brotherhood after playing 2 (Those Subject 16 segments, sweet Jesus), both are pretty top tier but I prefer the addition of streak kills and the crossbow
>When you realize heavy weapons are throwable

>>333059129
Replaying Brotherhood, fuck those shop quests they take forever to come across the items and even then it's not always a guarantee
Also am I the only one that misses that challenge/training mode?
>>
Black Flag and Rouge is better than Brotherhood
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.