[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game any good? Looking for something to hold me over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 225x225
Is this game any good? Looking for something to hold me over until ds3. I don't really play jrpgs but it looks interesting.
>>
Probably not for you if you're looking for something to hold you over for DS3

It's good yes but I think something like say, Hyper Light Drifter or Kingdom hearts could do that job better, or play Bloodborne if you havent tried it.
>>
Some may swear differently, but I thought it was a little mediocre.

If you want a nice RPG on the PS2, I'd look into Shadow Hearts or Wild Arms 3.
>>
File: 1381979865247.jpg (50 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1381979865247.jpg
50 KB, 540x720
I just started this game yesterday. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, but the story is definitely JRPG tier so if that stuff bothers you that might ruin it for you.
>>
File: Expand augmented dong.jpg (75 KB, 305x750) Image search: [Google]
Expand augmented dong.jpg
75 KB, 305x750
tfw emperor beetle
>>
It's pretty boring. The combat is really barebones and you've basically experienced all it has to offer within a few hours. You unlock special moves eventually but that doesn't matter because they're all cutscene attacks you activate by pausing the game. The dungeons are ass and the story is so stupid that it hurts.
>>
>>333014180
I don't mind checking out different stuff. I just got done playing wot and wanted something single-player and a little weird. Hyper light isn't in ps4 it seems. Thanks though! Definitely already played the shit out of bb.
>>
>>333014493
>The dungeons are ass and the story is so stupid that it hurts.

This problem really plagues Shadow Hearts Covenant, but the tragedy is that it has one of the best RPG battle systems out there.

When characters are so flat-out retarded it really kills your motivation to play in a genre that is built around moving you from cutscene to cutscene.
>>
>>333014690
>When characters are so flat-out retarded it really kills your motivation to play in a genre that is built around moving you from cutscene to cutscene.

This is exactly what took me so long to push myself through Grandia.
>>
Op here, is dark cloud any fun?
>>
>>333014930
>This is exactly what took me so long to push myself through Grandia.

=(

Hey the Grandia gang are all like 8 years old, cut them some slack.
>>
File: 1457784744766.jpg (47 KB, 487x487) Image search: [Google]
1457784744766.jpg
47 KB, 487x487
>>333014180
Not OP and I finished HLD just yesterday, it was really short compared to what was promised.

I've played quite a few rpgs, finished xenosaga 1 awhile back, started 2 but its just awful.

Really liked xenogears even though the second disc is ehh-quality.

If you guys know of any shit that has a decent story or even a mediocre one please let me know.

Also have played a lot of the typical bioware junk like ME,dragon age, baldurs gate, neverwinter.

I'm beginning to think i've finished all the decent rpgs.
>>
>>333015769
That's how I feel...
>>
>>333013978
If you think of it more as an anime and less as a game it's pretty entertaining. Steve Blum does a good job.
>>
File: cover_alundra.jpg (69 KB, 500x512) Image search: [Google]
cover_alundra.jpg
69 KB, 500x512
>>333015769
This is a zelda-type game but if you want an RPG with a great story that explores the timeless theme of "Just how shitty/awful can life get?"...
>>
>>333015769
>>333013978
Both of you disregard plot, story and characters and go for the real deal, play SaGa and Wizardry
>>
>>333015769
Digimon cyber sleuth
>>
>>333013978
No, it's not good.

The dungeons design is abysmal with halls of copy/pasted rooms. The combat is unbalanced as fuck where upgraded AoE attacks reach damage cap mid-fucking-game without even trying, making every single fight end after using one skill, bosses after a couple of uses. Because certain skills are so overpowered, the intricately designed crafting system is rendered useless. The story is bullocks.

The tits are pretty nice though.
>>
File: 1451364106082.jpg (54 KB, 479x498) Image search: [Google]
1451364106082.jpg
54 KB, 479x498
>tfw you never got the emulator to work right
>>
File: shrug.jpg (77 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
77 KB, 384x313
>>333014180
Can someone seriously explain what HLD is? It looks like any other shitty pixel indie game.
>>
>>333015283
Except for the 1000-year-old Italian Yoda rabbit, the girl married to the bull, and Gadwin. Gadwin's admittedly pretty cool.
>>
>>333016253
I don't see the appeal of SaGa.

The PS2 game is basically playing slot machines, occasionally interspersed with cutscenes. I think the "hardcore" fanbase of SaGa takes for granted just how niche it is.
>>
This or Dark Cloud 2?
>>
File: 1443209545193.gif (2 MB, 420x240) Image search: [Google]
1443209545193.gif
2 MB, 420x240
>>333014368
>>
>>333016459

>The PS2 game is basically playing slot machines, occasionally interspersed with cutscenes.

Unlimited Saga is a giant departure from the other Saga games, and such a shitty game in general that it basically killed the series.
>>
>>333016490
Dark Cloud 2 is a fantastic game, Rogue Galaxy is fun but has flaws. I think the best part about Rogue Galaxy was the exmilitary dog companion you get, and Steve Blum. Voice acting is pretty weird in both games mostly due to how spaced out the dialogue is, like one person will talk and then 3 seconds later they respond, but RG is quite a bit better in that regard.
As far as mini games go I think the bug catching was better than fishing, and the weapon synthesis/upgrade system was a lot more varied in RG than DC2. The gameplay can do interesting things in RG but then it tends to get repetitive, climbing the hunter rankings is fun though
>>
>>333017104
>bug catching was better than fishing
I know its weird to get uppity about games that aren't typically part of flame wars, but I really can't abide by your above statement.

Probably overall I think Rogue Galaxy is a better game than Dark Cloud 2 though. I like 'em, but I really hate how their action-y games feel on that engine.
>>
>>333016253
Which wizardry? I want some cool gameplay.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.