[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a more useless team mate than a sniper. Protip: You can't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13
File: lolwookies275.jpg (194 KB, 575x275) Image search: [Google]
lolwookies275.jpg
194 KB, 575x275
Name a more useless team mate than a sniper.

Protip: You can't.
>>
A pyro that cant airblast
>>
A good sniper could win the game for your team.
>>
A teammate who blames others for their own problems.
>>
>>333012701
>>333012880
Snipershits detected.

>>>/Free for all/
>>
>>333012983
Nah, I suck ass at sniping.
>>
>playing MGO on Virtuous Vista
>set up with a perfect view of the building on the other side of the map
>kill anyone coming out of the building, not even allowing them to do anything
>teammates going what the fuck over the mic
Don't remember what game mode it was. I didn't play tdm much so might have been one of the objective modes, though someone keeping the other team from moving around can be a help in an objective based game still.
>>
>>333012701
Can you think of games where the sniper fulfills some sort of vital role that enables victory? Sure, you can carry an incompetent team as a sniper in most games, but wouldn't you be able to do that even better as some other role with some other gun?
>>
Medic > sniper

Medic master race.
>>
>>333013215
Well, in Red Orchestra, its really important that the squad sniper takes out MGs, or else you just get wrecked when trying to take objectives. You also only get like 2 snipers per 64 man team.
>>
>>333012320
>That recon guy that went in close and personal in rush mode, fucking shit up with a pump action shotgun or that automatic silenced sniper rifle, based pokeball sensors, and laying C4 traps
Best teammates. I would do the same while my friend used an assault, fucking unstoppable. I stopped using the rifle because it was ridiculously OP.
>>
I remember in CoD4 my entire team was sniping. It was one of the city maps with multiple levels. Normally that goes horribly. But we managed to get the enemy team confined to one building for the whole match. If they spawned outside, one or two guys would be looking around for them. We had like constant UAVs. Pretty much everyone was chilling in their own little nook with a good view of each other. Shit was the comfiest CoD match I've ever played.
>>
File: 42e.gif (150 KB, 278x200) Image search: [Google]
42e.gif
150 KB, 278x200
>>333013381
Thats me nigguh.

870C Slugs was my jam. I can countersnipe the shit out of any randy a mile away with a scope and peg anyone who is at least 3 feet from me.

Beepy bomb pokeballs were also my jam. I'd rig a high traffic building with C4, and when I heard the beepy-beepy, I'd blow that thing to kingdom come.
>>
>>333012320
A highly-skilled sniper is arguably the most useful unit on the battlefield, while an unskilled sniper is arguably the least useful. It's all about who's being the controls and what their gameplan is.
>>
>>333013686
My negro.

>I'd rig a high traffic building with C4
I got the biggest boner in rush match in Nelson Bay. I was attacking in the first base and got my ass to that MCOM within a building's second floor. I laid 6 C4s around to bring the building down, but was discovered by the enemy at the last moment. I ran the fuck out but I was under fire and had no cover, had to pull the switch. Unforunately the C4 blast still caught me, but the scoreboard was fucking ridiculous. I got 5 C4 kills, and brought the building down, destroying the MCOM and killing another 5 dudes inside.

I came buckets.
>>
>>333012320
machine gunner
>>
File: ISHYGDDT.jpg (158 KB, 512x677) Image search: [Google]
ISHYGDDT.jpg
158 KB, 512x677
>>333013972
>Sniper
>the best
>Not medic
>Not engineer

Okay.
>>
File: Unit_M4_Sherman.jpg (157 KB, 730x650) Image search: [Google]
Unit_M4_Sherman.jpg
157 KB, 730x650
Good snipers can carry the whole game. Too bad there aren't any good snipers.
Tank commanders master race.
>>
>>333014312
>medic
>relies on others needing their help to be useful to the team
>engineer
>relies on maps that are vehicle oriented to be useful to the team

Whatever a medic or engineer can do after that can be done better by other classes.
>>
>>333014108
Back when shit like this happened in Battlefield and it "wasn't tacti-cool gun simulator TM".
>>
Snipers can be useful if they support the objective instead of just trying to get the best k/d ratio
>>
>>333012320
CS:GO an awper/based af scouter can carry the entire team on the volition of the weapon.
>>
>>333014715
That's the best part of battlefield, really. I remember crashing a chopper into some guy by accident, then getting out just in time to live and shooting another one with my shotgun.

Couple of hours later I read a story online by a guy saying how some badass in his squad saved him when he was about to get killed, by crashing an apache into an enemy outside the window and shooting his way through a door to kill the other assailant. I felt like the baddest motherfucker while reading that.
>>
>>333014150
that's only true in games with bad machine guns.

in good games like Project Reality the SAW gunner usually topfrags in terms of kills with small arms, and GPMG operators can do even more.

machine gunners suck for example in BFBC2 (besides the fact that they're medics) because in terms of weapon performance the MGs are worse than the assault rifles in almost every way.
>>
>>333014379
>master race
>in a Sherman that's literally on fire

HMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>333014664
>relies on others needing their help to be useful to the team
Which is a constant thing. there will always be wounded or dead team mates.

>engineer
>relies on maps that are vehicle oriented to be useful to the team
Less common than medic but if Engineer has a rocket launcher than can be 10x better than any sniper in a gay tree.
>>
>>333013194

Snipers on MGO2 were fucking devastating when they were skilled. I remember 2 good snipers taking out 4 players in the first 10 seconds of a vv rescue.
>>
>>333015097
>Except for the prepatch M60

>MMMM that pre-patch M60
>>
File: image.gif (6 KB, 50x50) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
6 KB, 50x50
>>333012320
Engineer my two favorite classes
>>
most games don't have ranges long enough to warrant the use of bolt-action rifles or really any rifle in a caliber larger than .308. snipers are shit in mainstream FPS because those games don't have very long ranges. even "big" maps like MW2's Wasteland don't actually have long range firefights compared to real life sniping conditions. this is why BF2 and BF4 have pretty good sniping, they have actually big maps.
>>
>Play Bad company
>Be Sniper
>Use JDAM to lock onto enemy's anti air gun from afar.
>Move missile to hit anyone leaving the base.
>Snipe anyone who enters AA Gun
>Successfully lock down the entire enemy team by yourself.
>>
File: HPT CARL.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
HPT CARL.jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
>>333014664
Someone was never served a nice, thick, hot carl.
>>
>>333015254
Medics are useless to a team that knows what the fuck they're doing. Not enough people will die or get wounded for the medic to be useful.

Engineer with a rocket launcher can be done way better by an Assault class with a grenade launcher because they have stronger weapons to use after their grenades are gone. The only reason the rocket launcher is there is to take down vehicles.
>>
File: 13216519651.jpg (17 KB, 570x574) Image search: [Google]
13216519651.jpg
17 KB, 570x574
>>333015583
>Hitting snipers with your CG
>>
>>333015578
Wait, it was the artillery gun. Not AA gun.
>>
>>333015097
What the hell are you talking about? Medics were overpowered in BFBC2 partially because machine guns were so good. Tap fire was perfectly accurate, every gun had a 200 round magazine standard, and they all killed in like two headshots.
>>
>>333015704
Medic was only useful in hardcore, when health regen was slow/nonexistant
>>
>>333013215
It's like you've never played CSGO
>>
>>333015704
>Medics are useless to a team that knows what the fuck they're doing.
But they are still needed in case of something going bad.

>Engineer with a rocket launcher can be done way better by an Assault class with a grenade launcher
Nothing can out perform the carl gustav.
>>
>>333013215
Insurgency
Snipers are absolutely vital on long maps
>>
a designated marksman type sniper is incredibly useful. that faggot who is just prone on the edge of the map taking shots at 2km is a useless nigger
>>
File: Sniper time.jpg (822 KB, 3712x2712) Image search: [Google]
Sniper time.jpg
822 KB, 3712x2712
>>333012983

Games are for having fun, stop projecting your life into it.
>>
>>333016052
I don't agree, everyone has access to decent optics, including bipod machine guns.

Besides, most of the time you need warm bodies or proximity to capture or blow up objectives.
>>
>>333016075
Yeah they have a name for that. Designated marksman. 'designated marksman sniper is nothing.
>>
Man, I really want a good sniping simulator game. There's plenty of more arcade like games like Sniper Elite but I want something a bit more in depth. I understand an actual hardcore simulator would be boring as fuck but the current offerings for sniping games just isn't doing it for me even if I like Sniper Elite.
>>
File: 1340372401315.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1340372401315.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>333016167
>Games are for having fun

>>>/Reddit/
>>
>>333015875
>sniper
>30m engagement distance

"sniper" refers to a long-range combatant, not a just any man with a bolt-action rifle.
>inb4 "but they've been called snipers since 1999"
doesn't make it any less wrong
>>
>>333012320
I'll do you one better.

Game treats sniper rifles like BB guns and lets people jump around like retards and 360 noscope
shit hitboxes / weapon spread system
shotguns suck or randomly one-shot people with a single pellet

And now for the worst part.

20-fucking-16 and games still don't use per-poly hit detection because "muh grafex"

And now to piss off CS babies

weapon swapping is near-instantaneous and encouraged
>>
>>333016167
>Games are for having fun
games aren't fun when your shit sniper can't play their class or understand that they have a sidearm for a reason
>>
>>333016332
I think per poly hit detection would still be too much computation, especially in multipleyer games, but games could definitely do better than simple health bars.
>>
>>333016428

If you were good you could compensate for the bad player. But you aren't good so all you are left with is complaining about others being bad.

Such is the fate of average people.
>>
>>333015196
Sherman isn't on fire its the car behind it. If you don't like Sherman your probably a naz.
>>
>>333012320
you
>>
>>333015729
You CG fags are the worst and I hope you all die.
>>
>>333013215
>Can you think of games where the sniper fulfills some sort of vital role that enables victory?
All of them? They're used for zone control. I think you got owned something fierce by some sniper and are throwing a hissy fit because you're a homo and a sore loser. That always turns out to be the case whenever these threads pop up.
>>
>>333016686
>you should compensate for other people being bad
>this is bait but people actually think this in real life
>>
>>333013215

A good sniper was absolutely essential to stopping cappers in Tribes: A back when there was no speed cap.

Good luck getting a flag back when a pathfinder sanics that shit off your stand at 600 sanics in a direct line for his cap.

People would get so fucking salty and cry for the removal of snipers precisely because of assblasted pathies that got upset their epic flag carries got stopped.
>>
>>333016034
But what if nothing goes bad? You just wasted an entire player slot on a class that is half useless.

What happens when the Carl Gustav runs out of ammo? You gonna shoot the enemy from across the field with your Uzi?
>>
>>333016992
I haven't played BC2 for quite a while but didn't the underbarrel grenade launcher of the assault class have less ammo than the CG? And that's what you were saying should be the replacement.
>>
>>333016992
True CG fags always seem to have unlimited ammo. They are a true cancer.
>>
>>333017195
The grenade launcher in BC2 was very underpowered, too. It was only useful to open up walls, as a killing tool it was kinda shit when compared to the 40MM shotgun, that thing was a beast that could net you 3 kills per shot.
>>
>>333013215

In Battlefield, having a good sniper who knows how to position themselves in relation to the action going on in game can be vital to victory, your squad can just keep spawning on the sniper and return to the contested zone much faster.
>>
>>333017195
I'm saying that the grenade launcher does similar things that your CG (except for be useful against vehicles) does but also has the backup of an assault rifle to go along with it.
>>
>>333016306
Sniping requires being "hidden" and having an unfair advantage.

Hiding behind a corner an waiting for people to walk into your cross hair, even if it's one foot away, is sniping.

Sneak attacking someone is considered sniping.

A true "sniper rifle" is a gun that exceeds the range of average gun fire. No matter how well someone aims at you, they will not be able to hit you, but you will be able to hit them.

However, that line has been blurred as gun technology improves.

There's nothing wrong with sniping, but there's everything wrong with being a lazy selfish fuck who takes advantage of a game design flaw and brags about it.

Habitual campers are as cancerous as exploit/cheatfags. Rather than taking a strategic spot to assist the team, they take the spot to exploit a crutch in the map/gameplay to feel elitist.
>>
>>333013215
in gears of war a sniper usually guards the power weapons from far away and kills any enemy that tries to pick one up
>>
File: 465346234512.jpg (253 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
465346234512.jpg
253 KB, 1920x1080
>>333012320
Snipers in ARMA games are fucking ASSHOLES

Fuck I get so assblasted when they fuck my shit up from +1km with their faggot ass rifles

Only hope is to catch them with a counter-sniper, good positioned snipers usually take out entire squads

That being said they are usually useless against armored vehicles unless they are laser designating targets for jets/launchers

Almost everyone in ARMA thinks they are a god-tier nothin personal elite sniper (unless they are jet/heli shitters) so it turns into 800+ m firefights that exclude anyone with a gun that doesn't have a 15x scope or some shit

I prefer grenadier/AT type classes though so I guess its just me, at least sniper teammates are semi-useful in this though
>>
>>333016456
"expensive" hitboxes are no different than per-poly hit detection. You can specify what the sever reads or not, eliminating things like cosmetic items from hindering hit detection. The server is what gains more load/stress, not the player latency.

The problem is that developers of multiplayer games shovel polygons around and have no sense of optimization. Also owning servers is expensive and "legally frustrating" thanks to ISP oligopoly.

Online Multiplayer games simply do not need extravagant polycounts.

Small-scale FPS games like CS, TF, Halo, etc would greatly benefit from PPHD.

Larger scale/player games like Battlefield or Planetside would not.
>>
File: guy.jpg (26 KB, 599x398) Image search: [Google]
guy.jpg
26 KB, 599x398
>mfw going sniper in PR , finding a superfob 1km away in the middle of the desert and picking them off one by one as they try to man it
kashan is such shit.
>>
>>333014312
>medic
>revives you mid combat
>die again and shit up your kdr because of medics

>engineer
>does nothing except fix useless things all match while people are killing each other
>>
>>333012320
support class that doesn't put down suppressing fire and teamflashes for the lulz
>>
>>333013215
a good tf2 sniper will fuck the enemy composition up you idiot
or have you only played games with 3 sec respawn timers
>>
Frontline sniper in battlefield can be useful though with spawn beacons/motion sensors.

Just pick a weapon that you dont use 300m away from your target, like a shotgun or p90.
>>
>>333018297

I always roll with a LMG 2x optics.
>>
>>333019535
>Just pick a weapon that you dont use 300m away from your target, like a shotgun

Yeah we wouldn't want to have fun in our game again with slug shotguns like BC2.
>>
>hanging back wwatching while everyone else is in the thick of it

Snipers are literal cucks
>>
>>333019826
Currently the Navid in Arma 3 is broke as fuck, it kills in 1-2 hits and has really low recoil for a LMG

I see a lot of people use them now but I really prefer the Katiba rifles and the MK18

The Arma 3 weapons fucking suck though, nothing compared to the weapons available in Arma 2 and I can't find populated modded servers because everyone plays fucking AltisLife/KOTH servers

My only hope would be joining a Unit but its hard to find one that isn't run by a hardass
>>
>>333019247
>tf2
>sniper
>good

Sure if you have an invite player on your server they'll wreck shit, but they would do so as any other class. The majority of snipers don't do much, however.
>>
File: russian cluster munitions.webm (3 MB, 640x564) Image search: [Google]
russian cluster munitions.webm
3 MB, 640x564
Snipers are way overrated. Artillery is the true king of the battlefield. In FPS, I roll with any artillery-like thing I can. Such as rocket launchers, noob tubes, tanks, grenades out the ass, etc. There's nothing more satisfying watching a slow powerful projectile hit its mark.
>>
>>333012320
BC2 recon is fucking whack
>SV98 to one-hit enemies close-up, snipe them long-distance, and kill them at medium range with pistol easily too
>motion sensor OP as fuck, easily taking flags solo with it
>c4 to kill vehicles easily, blow up cover and buildings
Of course every class in that game is viable but he's the most fun to me
>>
Skilled snipers are fucking scary.
Most are tryhards but there will be this one game where the sniper just carries the whole team.
>>
>>333021890

You can't call in artillery strike on everything though because of danger close, unless you are Russian.
>>
>>333019949
I'll be banging your wife because your testicles were obviously blown of in your glorious front line combat ;) :)
>>
>>333014379
WHAT'S THIS MORON MOTORCYCLE THINK HE'S DOING

WE'VE LOST OUR MAIN GUN, WE'RE FUCKED
>>
>>333012320
running class faggots
>>
>>333015583
>>333015729
Most satisfying weapon
>>
File: ;).png (39 KB, 330x165) Image search: [Google]
;).png
39 KB, 330x165
>>333015583
>>333015729
CG was the best damn weapon in the game
>>
>>333015583
It's just a sniper rifle for low aim scrubs
>slower rof
>slower bullet speed
>lower ammo count
>way too obvious
CG a shit
>>
>>333022584
>Lock on enemy vehicle with CG through objects or terrain.
>Quickly aim high and fire.
Shit was like a Javelin.
>>
>>333012320
>playing original DayZ not long after release
>banditos have just started becoming a concern
>zombies are bugged to all fuck and fun
>buddy and I are in the server clans TS
>we're stalking around cherno
>suddenly, shots fired
>we hit the deck shitting ourselves
>hear a thundering crack and a chuckle in TS
>a guy with a deep voice that speaks once every so often is like "I got your back"
>the whole time he was on top the huge water tower watching us with a rifle
>we happily prance around cherno and he kills another two players who come close to us

what a cool guy
>>
>>333013215
The one shot kill potential of the sniper in tf2 is game changing, almost nothing from direct combat in that game has 1 hit kill potential or the ranged capability
>>
>>333013215

counter-strike and gears of war for one.
>>
I miss back before DayZ ruined the ARMA community where sniping was actually a fucking thing and you could spot for people. It was so much fun.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.