[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have EXACTLY 10 fucking seconds to explain why Dark Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 20
File: DaS2.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DaS2.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
You have EXACTLY 10 fucking seconds to explain why Dark Souls 2 (Vanilla and/or SotFS) is so bad and you have another 5 fucking seconds to explain why these complaints outweighs all of the good parts and improvements.
>>
>>333004736
Because my opinion is law, and if you don't agree you're not allowed to exist.
>>
Mobs in front of bosses, soul memory, no interconnected world, NPCs are lifeless and boring, took the Prepare to Die meme too far

They are a step back from what Dark Souls did and are unnecessary changes.
>>
Non-respawning enemies removes requirement to git gud, just keep throwing yourself at the game.
Immediate fast travel removes tension
Demon Souls style hub world completely inferior to metroidvania style world
>>
>>333004736
you guys are fucking dumb. I've played and beaten every souls game and das2 is by far the most I've played.
>>
>>333004736
It's not REALLY a bad game, but if Dark Souls 2 was released as the SotFS version back in 2014, it would had a way better reception.

That said, the linearity of DaS 2 is a real problem. And many areas having as a challenge the "5 enemies ganking on you".

Besides that... not much. The pvp was good although soul memory was a real pain.
>>
File: disgusted_kitty.png (427 KB, 514x662) Image search: [Google]
disgusted_kitty.png
427 KB, 514x662
>>333004736

its not as bad as people say. vid very related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9jrShSwjPU
>>
Downgraded graphics, graphics being sold as an update, i-frames on rolls being tied to a stat which fucked up the perception of hitboxes, dark magic was stupidly overpowered, bland boss designs.

It outweighs the good parts because there were none that I couldn't get with a better overall experience in DS1.
>>
It wasn't as good as DaS or DeS so that makes it complete garbage
>>
I never thought it was a bad game
I just didn't enjoy it as much as the first dark souls
>>
It's not.
It is a better game than the severely unfinished Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, even despite its development process.
>>
>>333004736
Horrible Artstyle
Horrible Level Design
Horrible design decisions like having i-frames and animations tied to a stat (AGI, through ADP)
Feels floaty as fuck and generally worse than Demon's or Dark Souls
Ruined the pretty much perfect nature of Estus by nerfing it into the ground and introducing lifegems
Horrible ganksquad bosses
Every other boss that isn't a ganksquad is bland and completely forgettable
Soul Memory
Instant Bonfire Warp made shortcuts pointless, also bonfires every 10 steps
Return of the level up waifu for no reason other than to pander, is objectively a downgrade in terms of gameplay since it just makes you go through 2 loading screens (warp to Majula, warp back to wherever you came from)
Blunt and Piercing weapons are supremely overpowered, magic miracles and hexes were absolutely nerfed into the fucking ground basically meaning you're just going to powerstance maces for every build

The only thing I really like about Dark Souls 2 is Majula as a hub, but it doesn't work nearly as well in the context of the game, especially when compared to The nexus or Firelink shrine.
>>
Going back and playing DaS again for the first time since DaS2 came out made me appreciate DaS2's improvements way more.
>>
>>333004736
>Game uses gank squads as bosses as a cheap way to make a fight difficult
>Non-sensical level design
>Boring level designs
>The new lore didn't fit in with the already established lore
>Health bar reduction
>Estus system and god awful healing crystals
>>
>>333005030
>Mobs in front of bosses
DaS did this too
>soul memory
It's a better system
>no interconnected world
only first half of DaS did this
>NPCs are lifeless and boring
that's like your opinion man
>took the Prepare to Die meme too far
agreed
>>
>>333009549
There are "interconnections" in things like lost izalith being visible while in tomb of the giants, as well as being able to see a lot of the trees from Ash Lake from tomb of the giants as well.

But obviously New Londo counts, since it connects to firelink and valley of the drakes (in multiple places), with the Abyss being the boss arena.

The only one that isn't connected to anything else is the dukes archives, and that's largely because Anor Londo is isolated.
>>
>>333004736

>soul memory
>broken hitboxes on thrust weapons
>hexes being broken as fuck at release
>boring bosses that are samey with no unique feel
>bosses that are interesting have no story or interesting plot to them(see artorias vs allone, both could have been interesting characters but everyone remembers artorias whereas there will be no such popularity for allone)
>nothing memorable at all during the entire game
>PvP moved from invasions to duel in a box system
>>
>>333004736
shitty hitboxes, disconnected areas, lots of unimaginative bosses, soul memory
didn't outweigh the good parts and improvements for me though, because ratfagging was the most fun I've ever had in a souls game
>>
>>333004736
Easy

>Horrible Level Design
>Elevators that take you into a fortress sinking in lava in the sky
>Endless pointless references to DS1 and DsS
>Endless filler bosses each more boring then the last
>Soul Memory
>Incoherent World
>Washed out visuals
>General enemy design
>>
>>333009549
>Soul Memory
>Not a completely shit system that puts a hard cap on PVP and inhibits friends playing with each other.
>NPC's being shit is an opinion
>NPC's do jack shit after reaching Majula. Some NPCs that are directly related to each other never interact in any way.

It's fucking trash pal.
>>
>>333009549
>soul memory
>It's a better system
You best be pulling our legs you double nigger.
>>
>>333010454
Boy are you going to love DS3
>>
>>333010882
Just finished my first run. About to start caster. DS3 is miles ahead of DS2 in every possible way
>>
File: 9f5.gif (94 KB, 600x638) Image search: [Google]
9f5.gif
94 KB, 600x638
>>333004736
What's with all the Dark Souls 2 threads? You see that shit in every single thread now, I thought you guys hated the game?
>>
>>333011114
/v/ is incredibly tsun for DS2, never noticed?
>>
>>333011114
It's the latest game in the series and Dark Souls 3 is coming out soon so people are playing 2 for the first time without playing Demon's, Dark 1, or Bloodborne and wondering why people don't like 2.
>>
File: Lore Friendly.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Lore Friendly.webm
3 MB, 640x360
how bout i take two seconds to knock you the fuck out
>>
File: Dark_souls_2_8.jpg (160 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dark_souls_2_8.jpg
160 KB, 1280x720
>>333004736
You can thank consoles for making the game look like shit, otherwise it would've looked like this
>>
File: screaming pepe.jpg (21 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
screaming pepe.jpg
21 KB, 1280x720
>>333010690
>I got all hyped up when I heard Carhillion say "I might conjure new sorceries here"
>I thought it was going to be an in depth questline where you learn more of the sorcerer and unlock new skills as you progress sort of like logan in DS1
>mfw he doesn't do shit and barely changes for the rest of the game
>>
>>333011276
>It's the latest game in the series
Wasn't it the ps4 exclusive? The one in the post modern/modern era with werewolves and shit?
>>
Adaptability
Soul Memory
Dead zones
>>
>>333004736
But a sequel is supposed to have improvements, OP. DaSII's improvements are sufficient to justify its existence, but it's not enough to make it good. A good sequel takes its source material and improves/trims it in a way that transforms it into a novel experience. In other words:

Good sequels
>X like you've never seen before!
>e.g. Suikoden II, Civ IV

Meh sequels
>We made some improvements to X
>More X
>e.g. HL2, AssCreed: Brohood

Bad sequels
>We wanted to cater X to a wider audience
>Roster update to X
>e.g. yearly releases, DmC
>>
>>333011113
does it rival DS1 though?
>>
>>333011527
DS1 was weaker than both
>>
>>333011457
Yeah but calling Bloodborne a souls game incites a shitquake and that's something I want to avoid.
>>
>>333011723
Alright PCuck :3
>>
>>333011527
I don't think anything could be better then DS1 for me, since it took my Souls virginity it always has a special place. DS3 is still really solid and i can see playing for a long time.
>>
>>333011861
How'd you even pronounce that, explain yourself
>>
I had only played a little bit of DeS and DaS when DaS2 came out, and DaS2 was the first Souls game I completed, even went to NG+++++ on it. I enjoyed the fuck out of it I finally went back last month and finished DaS, and it was easily the most fun I've had with a game in years. I'm now playing through DaS2 Scholar for the first time and I'm seeing all of the issues that DaS2 has in a new light. Hitboxes and tracking are wonky as hell, and the level design is subpar at best.
>>
>>333005043
>Non-respawning enemies removes requirement to git gud, just keep throwing yourself at the game.
It takes like 15 kills or something for them to respawn, right? I'd argue that by the time you've killed the exact same enemy 15 times, you've proved you're more than capable of killing that enemy, and all the game is doing is removing tedium for the player. Also, if you're 100% shit, it gives you an option to progress slightly in the game (some people like playing for more than just gitting gud)
Also, limits farming which is a shitty mechanic and ruins the game for everyone
>Immediate fast travel removes tension
Agreed, though it also gets rid of some of the tedium of running back and forth through easy levels just to buy/repair shit. I'd say they're about equally good
>Demon Souls style hub world completely inferior to metroidvania style world
Firelink shrine was basically a hubworld m8, though I do partially agree here too
>>
>parry system screwed, take damage even when successful, punishing good play
>clunky controls are part of the "difficulty"
>lips still don't move when characters are talking (because this is a PSOne era game, right?)
>soul memory
>>
>>333011861
My PC is too shit to play games and I don't like spending a shitload of money regularly on updating, I have bad luck with tech, so I'm a ps4 and wiiu baby.
>>
>>333012024
Can't you read, PCuck? It's not hard, here, I'll spell for you P as in Pee then Cuck, as in you :3
>>
>>333009549
>interconnected world
>only first half of DaS did this

The finished half, you mean.
>>
File: 1459200552593.webm (332 KB, 418x314) Image search: [Google]
1459200552593.webm
332 KB, 418x314
>>333004736
Shit level design. The Forest of Fallen Giants is probably one of the better areas in the game, but almost everything else was pretty bad until the DLC got released.
Too many bonfires placed within such short distance of each other
Pointless shortcuts
Visuals look worse than the previous games and lighting that looks like garbage.
Didn't improve at all on Dark Souls' covenant system and has 2 almost entirely useless covenants to boot.
Strike damage is overpowered and a lot of bosses are weak to it because they're big armored dudes. The mace you can buy at the blacksmith can carry you through the game easily.
Enemy tracking is horrendous. It's a terrible solution to a problem that they already showed they could fix with the turtle knight, but decided to give every single enemy incredible amounts of tracking to almost every single one of their attacks.
Enemies permanently despawning after killing them a certain number of times is pointless.
Having to go back to Majula every time you wanted to level up was a complete downgrade compared to being able to do it at any bonfire.
A lot of NPCs just don't do anything important, even when it seems like something would happen
>the blacksmith and his daughter never talk to each other even though they're right next to each other at Majula
>Carrillion and Fiora the Pyromancer never talk to each other even though they're only a few steps away
>Cale just looks at the map for the whole game, and you need his hat for a quest I guess
Having to babysit 2 of the NPCs through boss fights to finish their quests is also pretty stupid
Hiding weapons and armor sets behind Black Phantom NPCs that only spawn once per NG was a terrible idea and whoever thought of that needs to be fired

cont., I guess
>>
no sheaths
>>
>>333009549
>>soul memory
>It's a better system
Stopped reading, no use in arguing with an actual retard.
>>
BB > SotFS = DaS1 > DeS

If we put EVERYTHING on a balance, the games were improved as time went by, anything else is just opinion, nostalgiafagging and just plain shitposting.

I'll bet DaS3 will be at the top or at least on the same level as BB.
>>
I'm level 65 in SOTFS (PC) and at the end of the game. I have no drive to fight the last boss. Should I go ahead and finish it? I already finished vanilla DS2 on my ps3 when it came out.
>>
>>333013630
You can't seriously have this opinion.

Demons >= Dark > Bloodborne > Darksouls 2 regardless of DLC
>>
>>333013824
how can you put a game that literally becomes cancer after the first half over BB ?

just answer me that and then you can keep shitposting all you want
>>
It didn't feel like a connected world like the first Dark Souls, couldn't get into it. Tons of dudes in armor
>>
>>333004736
It's a valid sequel, pretty fun overall, I'll give it a solid 8/10.
It's pretty much Dark Souls 1 but a little generic, on every aspect, it was a little more generic than the first, from animations to bosses, aside some things they did really well, things like:
>Connectivity to other worlds, silky smooth 60 fps, huge variety with weapons and armor, menus and slots, DLC (some bosses were eh but Alonne, Raime and Ivory kind were pretty fucking baller). It's pretty clear that the people who hate this game are just trying to make an argument, it's a very good game.
However the places where it really fucks up:
>The characters (no one really hollowed aside from lucatiel, I didn't feel sorry for any of the bosses, it all felt, hollow ), soul memory and the overall feeling of the world, where are the themes? where's the soul of the game?
>>
File: 1459175732330.gif (549 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
1459175732330.gif
549 KB, 400x302
>>333013081
DaS2 also had a lot of bosses, but a lot of them were not that good. Dragon Rider is one of the biggest jokes of a boss in the series, and putting two of them in a room at a time doesn't make him any scarier. Ornstein coming back without Smough or another enemy to complement him makes him way too easy. Pursuer cannot touch you if you just get up in his face and circle strafe him. Ruin Sentinels were 3 exact copies of one enemy type and didn't do much to stand out from the rest of the big armored dudes other than there being 3 of them. Lost Sinner's gimmick is alright I guess, even if you can see her in the darkness if your brightness is high enough. Flexile Sentry is way too easy and you'll probably never see his gimmick if you're half decent at the game.
Covetous Demon is a joke. Mytha is bullshit unless you looked up that you need to burn the windmill, and then she's super easy. Smelter Demon is basically every other big dude with armor, but with fire aura. Old Iron King is so easy that you're only going to die if you accidentally walk into the hole at the back of the map.
Success with the Royal Rat Authority is determined by if you can kill the four rat guys before he jumps down.
Royal Rat Vanguard is a game of Where's Waldo. The Rotten is another big dude in armor boss, but without the armor.
Looking Glass Knight has a neat gimmick that you'll probably never see, so he's basically just another big dude in armor. Demon of Song has a neat design, but is really easy.
Vendrick needs at least 4 giants souls so your weapon won't break before you kill him, and all you're going to be doing is hugging the right leg.
Ancient Dragon just has a bunch of one-hit-kill moves and very tedious to fight.

DaS2's biggest problem is that it went through development hell and it shows. The team can make some good areas when they are able too, see pretty much everything in the DLCs, but the base game just reeks of unfinished content that had to be slapped together.
>>
>>333013081
i agree with most of this except for two things
>Didn't improve at all on Dark Souls' covenant system and has 2 almost entirely useless covenants to boot.
Being able to switch between covenants freely was an improvement, and the only truly useless covenant is the way of the blue. Compared to DS1 where princess guard, way of the white and chaos servants were pointless while gravelord servants didn't work properly and were never fixed.

>Enemies permanently despawning after killing them a certain number of times is pointless.
I think this change came from how a lot of people thought the most annoying part of DS1 was running back to a boss, especially through enemies, because that was very easy to do and just took time. By making them despawn after killing them enough times, it would make the player feel like they're still making progress even when retrying bosses.
i think that's the idea anyway. in practice it doesn't really matter since the runs are so much shorter in DS2, and there aren't many places difficult enough that you'd need to try more than 10 times anyway.
>>
I... i actually enjoyed both games quite a lot :(
>>
>>333014406
I agree with this but i seriously want to kill the jap who designed Frigid Outskirts and Iron Passage

these almost completely destroyed my enjoyment of an otherwise perfect DLC
>>
What fucking improvements? More ring slots? Maybe the graphics?

please don't bring up PvP and character builds, Soul Memory already ruins that.
>>
My biggest complaint is the awful animations that everything has. For me the tracking that enemies have with those vertical swings is terrible because of how bad it looks. Instead of having the monsters move their fucking legs to walk in a circle they ice skate around. This goes for most enemies in the game. If anyone has that webm of the fire salamander please post it to prove my point.
>>
>>333014083
Bloodborne literally becomes cancer after Shadows of Yharnam, and is only "redeemed" by fights like Gehrman, Master Logarius and the DLC.

Bloodborne has some of the stupidest bullshit in any of these games. It's flat out fucking boring, there is virtually no build diversity outside of going "arcane" or doing a very specific build like bloodtinge. The DLC introduced a few unique builds, but almost all of them are just some level of quality or full retard arcane/bt.

Shitty aesthetics for parts of it, and some seriously terrible enemy and boss design. A lot of incredibly wonky hitboxes and again, really shitty weapon variety pre-DLC.

Shitty NPC interactions with literally 2 questlines worth a damn with Eileen and Alfred, and you barely interact with them. Gehrman acts as your "guide" but literally fucks off for 90% of the game after telling you to go find a fucking chalice.

In Summation:
Bloodborne just wasn't that good or interesting.
Some of the worst bosses in the series.
Weak exploration.
Weak customization, to the point where it makes me question why even have stats? Oh right. It's legacy from Dark Souls and they didn't want to make it too different to not alienate the fans.

That's Bloodborne's biggest offense. It's literally trying to be Dark Souls. It could have actually been a really solid action game, but they were held back because they wanted to stick with a working formula instead of branching out and trying something new.
>>
>>333015698
https://youtu.be/cRiHNNj_G64
Yeah, this is fucking MMO tier.
>>
File: 1459558939494.png (211 KB, 577x625) Image search: [Google]
1459558939494.png
211 KB, 577x625
>>333014445
There's some improvements, though.
Adding more ring slots, giving some bosses multiple phases to change up fights which was brought over and done better in Bloodborne, adding new items like the Giant Tree Seed and Bonfire Ascetics, changing upgrade paths to the infusion system, adding a respec option although I know not everyone will agree with me on this, adding some more unique spells and miracles, and giving the player a bit more freedom in the beginning compared to Dark Souls were all good in my opinion, but the good does not outweigh the bad for me
>>
File: enb 2016_01_05 23_26_51_08.jpg (748 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
enb 2016_01_05 23_26_51_08.jpg
748 KB, 1920x1200
>>333011364
that looks like fucking shit, is this 2005?
>those horrible water textures
>terribad lighting
>over-saturated greens that are just flat textures

pic unrelated
>>
>>333015805
the lack of proper questlines in BB really irked me. thankfully they've rectified that in DS3 but BB felt oddly incompletely in certain areas, especially towards the end. places like mensis are terribly designed and the fact that it places two lanterns within a minute of each other is absolutely baffling
>>
File: Vica Kerekešová.jpg (657 KB, 3216x2136) Image search: [Google]
Vica Kerekešová.jpg
657 KB, 3216x2136
>>333004736
Does SotFS have any negatives compared to the original? Like bad changes or something like that?
>>
>>333016378
It wouldn't surprise me if Bloodborne was a very different game in early development, then Sony or maybe Miyazaki himself stepped in and said

"needs to be more like Dark Souls" and adjusted it, adding the NPC questlines, and the levels and shit.
>>
>>333016681
Heide's Tower of Flame is now worse than before.
There are more statue people that you have to unpetrify, but you also get more branches of yore to balance it out, and items have been moved around to compensate for paths that are now blocked off, like Ruin Sentinels is now an optional fight.
Other than that's it's fine.
>>
>>333016868
>Heide's Tower of Flame is now worse than before.
Explain
>>
>>333016868
Branches of Yore are fucking terrible.

It literally restricts you. It's not even something that can be bypassed, especially considering in the original game if you wanted to be a pyromancer you straight up had to find one to get access to more basic pyromancies, and the easiest one to get was probably down in the gutter which requires a minimum level and the cat ring just to survive falling down there OR getting Gilligan's Ladders which requires you to get to Earthen Peak which is basically murdering
>Dragon Rider
>Skeleton Lords
>Covetous Demon
Maybe even the other one, I honestly can't remember her name, but the Medusa. Before Gilligan even shows up.

>>333017063
Way more enemies, added a Dragon infront of Ornstein for no reason.
>>
>>333017063
There are a bunch of heide knights on top of the original stone ones.
>>
>>333017063
So now almost every Heide Knight in the game is at the Tower of Flame. They aren't hostile until after you kill Dragon Rider, but after that they get up and start wandering around. There's also a Dragon in front of Old Dragonslayer, basically acting like the dragon bridge scenarios from DeS and DaS1. It's fucking awful.
>>
>>333017329
What were they thinking?
>>
>>333017165
>>333017303
>More enemies
That's a problem because?
>>
>>333004736
Soul Memory
>>
>>333017403
If that's your mentality then DSII is just for you.
>>
>>333017063
Respawning heide knights that become permanently aggroed after attacking them once. Also there's a fucking dragon at Ornstein.
>>
>>333011363
Reminder that bastard swords are only used by wapanese faggots who want to be croud strife
>>
>>333017604
They kept fucking Dark Souls 2 with every single patch, and SoTFS went full retard.
>>
>>333009549
Are you actually fucking retarded or just pretending?
>>
>>333016369
>ambient occlusion
Eat shit.
>>
>>333017496
This is odd, because adding more enemies isn't really a problem, it adds gameplay and challenge, the vanilla Dark Souls 2 was way too easy and empty.
>>
>>333005212
You just have shit taste
>>
>>333017763
What they change from the original game to the last patch?
>>
>>333017604
>that become permanently aggroed
Not true, they sit back down if they were sitting, they only go aggro if you kill the dragonrider
>>
>boot up ds2 in prep for 3
>that clunky ass movement
How did I ever play this for 200 hours
>>
Dark Souls 2 is bad because they nerfed rolling. Rolling is the most important gameplay mechanic in the entire series, and Dark Souls 2 made it shit. Also too many enemies at once.
>>
File: 1400026192425.jpg (192 KB, 425x750) Image search: [Google]
1400026192425.jpg
192 KB, 425x750
>>333017875
Nerfed the fuck out of many weapons, spells and miracles and made them useless in PvE so that they can match player resistances, which are well known to be way lower than any enemy's resistances. If you're playing in NG+ or higher you're gunna have a real bad time.
>>
>>333004736
its shit
>>
Souls games are boring as fuck. Bloodborne was dope tho
>>
>>333017875
Tons of shit.

Most notably by gutting magic in it's entirety. Faith builds were really fun and strong, now they're basically non-viable. Hexes are significantly weaker, and still have their soul cost which is really stupid.

Basically every single change ruined something fun. The Santier Spear used to be really fun to use, but guess what? Nerfed.

They literally nerfed everything that was moderately fun, and you're left with using the same shit over and over because nothing else is strong and fun to use.
>>
>>333004736
It's not bad, it's just not amazing like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
>world design is linear and bland
>bosses suck
>NPCs are boring, the only one I even remember is Straid. Besides Lucatiel but that's because she was just "we're trying as hard as we fucking can to force a souls npc! like her! LIKE HER!" and was shoved in our faces
that said the weapon variety was a lot of fun and the pvp was great (except not having a red eye orb that was a pain in the dick)
>>
Anyone want to help me out with Father Gascoigne? Currently in NG+ but nobody's online it seems
>>
I don't like any of From Software's games beyond Armored Core.
>>
File: 1403005335221.gif (1 MB, 1266x712) Image search: [Google]
1403005335221.gif
1 MB, 1266x712
>>333011364
>not the gif
>>
>>333018038
That's a good thing though, you could cheese bosses way too easily on launch, that happened with Dark Souls 1 too, they just didn't nerf it.
>>
>>333017797
adding a shitton of enemies to empty sparse areas doesn't make them more fun. dark souls' combat system is ill equipped to deal with multiple enemies
>>
>>333011364
>>333018230
What's the story behind these?
>>
>all this contrarian DaS2 faggotry

it's a shit game and will be erased from history

get over it
>>
I'm playing through Dark Souls now. Should I play 2 after or skip straight to 3?
>>
>>333018294
They restarted development or something half way after the initial 15 minute ign video and the graphics got downgraded hard.
>>
File: 12.jpg (70 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
70 KB, 600x800
>>333004736
just started playing this tonight having no prior knowledge of it besides the fact that everyone says it sucks
all i want to know is if i ever get estus flasks or are these consumable healing stones their replacement?
obviously not very fart into it yet
>>
Designed with PC gamers in mind
Scrapped half way through development
Needed 3 dlc and 1 re release
>>
>>333018358
Flip a coin

Heads - 2
>>
>>333005212
How's life with a mental illness?
>>
>>333018358
Play 2 so you can form your own opinion.
>>
>>333018338
You're a cutie aren'tcha?
>>333018254
Why is it ill equipped to deal qith multiple enemies?
>>
>>333004736
>all of the good parts and improvements
and those are?
>>
>>333018521
Different guy here.
You're free to have different opinions but please don't act smarmy. You lock on to one enemy. Many weapons and attacks can only hit one enemy at a time. Fighting one enemy can expose you to backstabs from another. It goes on. A real issue with DS2 was the use of ambushes and mobs in general.
>>
I wouldn't call it a bad game, just a bad souls game. Level design is inferior to DaS, i.e. shitty interconnectivity and they feel too small, there's no room to get lost, to truly explore, making them feel lifeless and shallow. The game also bought it's own "hurr, so hard" propaganda and made unnecessary changes like the slower healing and nerfing items like the the repair powder. Combat feels stilted starting out thanks to adaptability, hindering skilled players, ti's a bad all around mechanic because at the end of the day, you're forcing the player to be allowed to play normally by dumping points into a stat, there's no skill involved. Those are my main complaints, like I said, not a bad game, just a bad souls one.
>>
You know what is the most jarring assumption dark souls 2 fans make?

That every time you criticize something, you are referencing the first one.

Think about it. Try for example telling them that there are too many ganks. Or that bonfire placement can be a bit retarded. Or that the level design isn't stellar. Do you know what the immediate answer will be?

"Dark Souls I did it too, so your opinion is invalid and you are a hypocrite. Look how smart I am".

Where in the fuck is DaSI in that sentence, besides in your mind? You are so scared, so fearful of just admitting that the problem is real that you can only minimize it by saying stuff like "it has always been like that" ot "it wasn't a problem then and it isn't a problem now".

And even if people WERE referencing the previous game, aren't you kinda confirming their own point with your phrase? Aren't you just trying to move the goalpost? You are saying "yes, you are perfectly right and I have no arguments to dney how shit dark souls 2 is. BUT THE FIRST ONE WAS SHIT AS WELL, TAKE THAT, CHECKMATE!"

These topics make no sense. Fuck.

Now listen, fuckers. I'm posting a picture of best girl, Hatate. If you are sick of these topics you better post more cute vidya grills because this is all such a topic can be good for.
>>
>>333020745
Also too much ganking and the penalty for Dying, though protection rings help a lot with the second one.
>>
>>333011363
What? Modded to give CB the farron sword moveset?
>>
File: 1406769162647.jpg (394 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1406769162647.jpg
394 KB, 560x560
>>333005365
>>333014459

i just had to ragequit the iorn keep area because i was getting repeatedly gang raped by at least 3 if not 5 sanic knights.

jesus fuck those things, i swear the speed on them is broken, iv seen them try to drop onto the stairs from a ledge, only to speed past it and overshoot.

and fuck their archers too
>>
>>333021582
>Dark Souls 3 has the same parry window as 2
JUST
>>
Soul Memory.

I typed it in 1.3 seconds.

Fuck you.
>>
>>333004736
I shitposted about 2 for a very long time because I was stuck at amana shrine and ended up selling it. Let me tell you that area and cave tseldora are dogshit. However I got SOTFS and powerleveld the fuck on to get passed those easier and beat the game, I have to say it was very good. Ending was satisfying and just plain awesome, the plot was great, I loved seeing the dragons and ancient dragon, the weapon possibility in 2 is great there's so many choices, went with a twinblade it was great, vendrick was harder than Gwyn, vendricks entire story is awesome, the game has wonderful atmosphere too. Just a few shitty areas bring it down I think.
>>
>>333018391
you get estus, from youre leveling girl at home base, its got 1 sip on it though, but upgrades can be found
>>
Soul memory isn't an actual issue for anyone but people who use the game like their personal fighting sim and definitely does not ruin you playthroughs.

Terrible enemy placement even in Scholar version, locking a shitload of items behind incredibly low drop rates, not properly adjusting damage calculation, not scaling NG+ damage/HP properly, completely fucking the lore to the point where Dark Souls 3 completely ignores most of it, and the terrible choices on stats such as ADP are all valid complaints.
>>
>>333004736
soul memory
>>
>>333021985
Explain how it fucks the lore
>>
>>333021694
please no

i dont often try to parry, but i tested it and you cannot parry the fast attack unless you press the button ahead of time by seeing the future, and the slow attack dosent leave enough time to try again if i predict them wrong.
>>
>>333004736
smelter demon, Aava.
Blue smelter, twin Aavas
>>
>>333022130
SUFFER
Dark Souls III Parrying Information: http://youtu.be/wsQdF7-CTAQ
>>
>>333022091
It introduces a lot of themes but either goes nowhere with them or leaves too many stupid, loose threads. The whole theme of 'want' is never explored as well as it should, and the moment they patched in Aldia they forgot to give an explanation for him so he's just a big slap in the face of how uncoordinated and thoughtless the story of Dark Souls 2 was. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne all had perfectly understandable plots (with very few vague points that may have been left open to interpretation) and you can get the gist of the story without having to use a chalkboard and research for days.

Dark Souls 2 tried to replicate all that by tossing shit into the game without any real planning.
>>
>>333022268
What's wrong with smelter?
>>
>>333021824
Vendrick is only "harder" because he one shots you. He's shit, just like ancient dragon, a tedious chore of a boss fight.
>>
>>333004736
ADP
No Estus at the beginning
Lose health on hollowing
Those healing stones always keeps you topped up

It's all very annoying shit
>>
>>333022384
This is all very vague. Aldia is Vendrick's elder brother. The ending makes perfect sense in the souls universe, the want was the chosen undead coming this far for a cure but in the end you can either link the fire or leave the kingdom in darkness, same as DaS.
>>
>>333022431
Nothing, he was a pretty cool boss and I enjoyed learning his move set and helping people beat him.

Blue smelter and his entire area can go eat the fattest cocks, however.
>>
>>333022496
Yes that makes him harder because he can hit harder and has a longer reach, fucking moron. Just because you're a scrub doesn't mean it is a bad boss, he couldn't one shot my build.
>>
>>333004736
Soul Memory breaks more than it fixes.
>>
>Nobody talks about how shit the parrying is in this game
>>
>>333017709
That's not a bastard sword you dingus.
>>
File: DarkSouls2DLC2Review-Image1.jpg (399 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DarkSouls2DLC2Review-Image1.jpg
399 KB, 1920x1080
Old Iron King was best dlc
>>
>>333022948
Shit or just harder? Seriously remember the bullshit that was backstabs and easy parries in DaS1 making online play a fucking nightmare?
>>
>>333022790
(You)
>>
>>333021582
Were you playing on 60fps? Some enemy animations are sped up.
>>
Soul Memory
Adaptability
Taking longer to heal or roll or inputs failing entirely at certain HP thresholds (75/50/33/25%)
Losing HP when hollowed

The list goes on and on, Dark Souls 2 is in every way shape and form a bad game.

It's not difficult, just designed to be incredibly tedious and frustrating under the disguise of being hardcore.
>>
>>333022750
I agree about the area, but didn't notice anything significant with blue smelter to make him hateable, except being a repeat I guess. What did he have if anything, longer range?
>>
>have abysmal last boss
>add in a new last boss
>it's more boring than the last one
JUST
>>
>>333023257
There really is a secret boss after Incarnation of Kings? Kind of like moon presence?
>>
>>333023427
I was talking about ds2. They added in aldia after nashandra.

Aldia being a rock that teleports around the room and has 3 moves.
>>
>>333023237
>I agree about the area, but didn't notice anything significant with blue smelter to make him hateable, except being a repeat I guess. What did he have if anything, longer range?
He's entirely magic based, he delays his attacks randomly (he'll start an attack and pause so while you're used to dodging at a certain moment, he'll swing just as you finish your dodge.) I don't know why else but I had a REALLY fucking hard time against him (died 7 times in NG++, my first run of the DLC) and countless times just trying to get to his boss room.

I do everything in all souls games solo unless I'm helping people co-op for easy souls though.
>>
>>333022948
I hate it with all of my soul. Enemies don't help matters, they either attack like they have glass bones syndrome or like the flash on meth.
>>
>>333023169
>lists a few things
>every way shape and form a bad game
>bringing back mechanic from DaS is bad
>>
>>333023505
Aldia is more story purpose though
>>
File: FznvraN.png (366 KB, 950x245) Image search: [Google]
FznvraN.png
366 KB, 950x245
The game has way too much negative space. All of the levels feel too big by half in terms of scale. You spend so much time in the game just walking around in big square areas with an over-fitted texture. Seriously compare it to DeS, DaS and BB and you'll realize how much time you spend literally just walking in a straight line.
>>
>>333023641
I cleared it all so fucking fast on the second play that I didn't even notice, you're nitpicking.
>>
The durability system was garbage, NPCs were boring as fuck, More RNG bosses than DS1, Story was utterly fucking trash and the game didn't deliver what it promised in terms of atmosphere (i.e. using the torches in dark areas, ASIDE from the gutter).
>>
Does Dark Souls 3 have the soul memory system shit? I want to play with friends.
>>
>>333023514
>I do everything in all souls games solo unless I'm helping people co-op for easy souls though

Same. Funny, since I tend to go pure melee in RPG's magic usually wrecks me, but I had no problems with blue smelter, beat fume knight in six tries and alonne in 3. I found shulva the hardest to get through, and Avva and two cats were just bullshit.
>>
>>333023123
nope. they randomly speed up, especially when they are far away.

the hied knights also have a somewhat bullshit move, where they randomly slash in two different directions. problem is theres no windup for the attack, which starts hitting on frame 1, and they will use it in response to being hit on occasion.
>>
>>333004736
Floaty movement and slow ass animations

Disjointed world that feels like a mishmash of several ideas that absolutely don't create a coherent setting.

Terrible NPCs quest lines

Fanfic-tier lore and story

Awful balance and hitboxes.

PS1-tier textures and environments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-LgsWKWfGE

The only redeeming quality of the game is the PVP aspect and not everyone is interested in Souls games for PVP.
>>
>>333004736
the fact that you lost health is a piece of shit, the abundance of campfires and shit durability was dumb, the bosses are unoriginal and just another armored dude

they don't desu but dark souls is till better
>>
>>333023782
No
>>
>>333023727
It's not a time thing, retard. It's a comment about the level design. Most of the areas are too open and lack density in terms of gameplay variation. Just compare the starting areas to see what I mean. In the other 3 games they're areas with a lot of verticality, traps and enemies while in Dark Souls 2 you have a big long flat path with a few branches and a couple of those cyclops things.
>>
>>333023873
>Floaty movement and slow ass animations

What does "floaty movement" even mean? It is only slow if you're weighed down

>Terrible NPC questlines

I disagree, Lucatiel, and benhart both had interesting stories. The mage with a split personality who had you assassinating people was cool too.

>Fanfic-tier lore and story

How?

I agree hotboxes are pretty bad but the game runs at 60fps solid on SOTFS and it is great, fuck the textures at that point.
>>
File: AVGN.jpg (14 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
AVGN.jpg
14 KB, 400x300
>>333017397
>>
>Finally beat Laurence
>Beast mode doesn't look as good as I hoped
>You cannot even put a little top hat on your hairy werewolf

Fuck I'm disappointed, I wanted to go full Cleric Beast not this shit.

Brador's Testimony doesn't even have the jaws of the Cleric Beast, it looks like a lump of hairy shit with horns.

I wish there'd be more DLC for BB only to be able to get a full Cleric Beast form.
>>
>>333024101
Bloodborne did the same thing, plus DaS2 you're talking about the fucking tutorial zone. Game doesn't even start until Majula. What about the giant beast right after the very first spawn point? The drops you can die from? Gender swap coffin?
>>
It looks horrible
The world design is awful
The animations are ridiculous
Adaptability is a joke
Mob damage is all over the place

Felt like one giant mess
>>
>>333004736
It's bad because I say so
>>
>>333024232
>What does "floaty movement" even mean? It is only slow if you're weighed down

There is a bigass deadzone when using controller thumbsticks, which is not present in Dark Souls 1.
>>
It overvalues 'le hard game' rather than making an interesting world
>>
>>333024454
Sounds like a problem on your end
>>
My weapons broke after 10 hits
I had to carry 6 caestus to finish the game
>>
File: elfen lied pink.jpg (22 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
elfen lied pink.jpg
22 KB, 400x250
>>333011271
>i-it's not that I LIKE you or anything DaS2...baka...
>>
>>333024232
>What does "floaty movement" even mean
It means that animations are slow as fuck and don't have any weight to them, especially when the hit connects with the enemies. Their feedback on an attack is also terrible, like you're attacking a balloon filled with water.

>I disagree, Lucatiel, and benhart both had interesting stories
Lucatiel didn't have any conclusion. What was the point in encountering her if she just disappears from the game either way and hasn't even met her brother. Also, what was the reason of Benhart appearing in the dream world? What was his conclusion? All the quest lines are just shit.
>>
>>333024371
I'm aware I'm talking about the tutorial zone, but compare it to the tutorial sections of all those games, especially DeS and DaS. Compared to Vanguard's Domain, Undead Asylum and Central Yarnham and Things Betwixt is too big, flat and desolate.
>>
DS2 felt like a shitty fan sequel to the original game that harped on the "hardgame4hardgamers" thing too much and in a shitty way. My biggest gripe, barring the shit level design etc, was the bosses. They were fucking god awful minus a few. If it wasn't DUDE ENEMIES LMAO which was either forgettable or anger inducing, it was a single armored dude or big dude that you circled right to beat. Every. Fucking. Time. And the sheer amount of these bosses didn't help either, they all felt boring as fuck because you KNEW it would be one of those three categories. The only exceptions I can think of are Raime and Alonne. Even the Ivory King had that fuckfest of enemies before him you had to fight EVERY TIME if you fucked up. The game felt like it lacked the sort of refinement of the first and just threw shit at the wall hoping it stuck.
>>
Miyazaki says "there will be two directors for Dark Souls II, which I have secured myself", later says "the decision about the new assignments was not made by me; it was made by FromSoftware and Namco Bandai as a whole". (Might be a translation error) "It was a company decision," clarifies Namco Bandai producer Takeshi Miyazoe.

Miyazaki says he's working on a new title as director, but refused to answer when asked if it was a new IP. In response to an unrelated question, he says "sometimes I'd like to work on a warmer game - not necessarily casual, but warmer in terms of the atmosphere and environment".

"...Tomohiro Shibuya sees an opportunity in the very opening moments of Dark Souls II to provide a warm welcome for new players. Though he claims what he's envisioning isn't a difficulty ramp or tutorial, he talks about limiting players' options for the very first portion of the game, making it simpler for them to understand the core gameplay concepts of this new Dark Souls. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, there will apparently be an instance where players 'will immediately feel the Dark Souls experience'."

"[Shibuya's] initial flurry of answers are vague. We're able to establish that Dark Souls II will be a direct sequel to Dark Souls, and it will take place in an open world of similar dimensions to its predecessor but more dense with content. The game will not take place in Lordran, yet Shibuya will not disclose the name of the setting. "The name of the world will be key to the story," he says.

"The team working on Dark Souls II is 'substantially bigger"." "...he points out that the studio has nearly doubled the internal team focused on world creation alone, in addition to adding new members across every other department."
>>
>>333011364
>You can thank consoles
I love this meme.
Despite consoles both DaS and DeS looked miles better and they were the target market for these games.
If anything, SOTFS had no excuse not to deliver the original promises, B-team had no excuse this time, but no, same old shit with only godrays added.

Blame the incompetent developers, not the platforms.
>>
>>333024863
The asylum is much bigger than things betwixt though
>>
>>333004736
I've had an odd relationship with this game. The story/lore was half-baked, things like adaptability and soul memory were obviously not well thought out before being implemented, it lacks the 'connectivity' of Lordran, or the atmosphere of Boletaria/Yarnham...but I like it. I've always found it to be the most difficult of all the Souls games (including Bloodborne) - in part due to the sinister as fuck enemy placement of "HOHO, LET'S PLACE 9458 ENEMIES IN A TINY ROOM" and such, but also due to a fair few of the bosses being tricky motherfuckers. The DLC was absolutely brilliant, SotFS really does breathe new life into the game and the sheer weapon variety along with dual-wielding really does allow you to play a truly wide variety of builds. My second playthrough of the game was with a strict dual-caestus (and eventually ring of champions) build, which was absolutely hilarious and surprisingly effective.
>>
Do the NPCs' lips move in Dark Souls 3?
>>
>>333025469
Maybe in total square footage, but there's also a lot more to do and it has actual level design.
>>
The biggest problem for me was that they've turned it into a 3rd person action game with tons of enemies ganking you because prepeare to die so hardcore lol while everything else is mediocre.
I feel like they've completely misunderstood Miyazaki and the what makes a souls game so good. It's not just the difficutly, it's the sum of all parts; combat, NPCs, world, atmosphere etc.
>>
>>333004736
Soul Memory
It doesn't DS2 was on-par with DS1 but they didn't do the same areas but it evens out
>>
>>333004736
Lifegems and bonfires fucking everywhere completely ruins the atmosphere of risk and fear
>>
>>333004736
Turn rate.
Horrible mocap animations.
Getting hit puts you in a weird sliding stagger which people abused for stun locks.
Quantity > Quality.
ADP
Tons of encounters with huge groups of strong enemies.

Because the game is bad at its core. Any good that's in the game will never live up to it's full potential because of the core mechanics.
>>
>>333026034
Worst part is that you can't really just say "Oh, I won't use lifegems" because I'm seriously starting to think that they designed enemies around it. It's so much easier and less of an hassle to trade hits and finish a combat faster and pop one of your endless lifegems.
>>
>>333004736
too many humanoid bosses
soul memory fucking up your game and limiting the control you have over the online aspect
weapon durability change was a good idea and an excellent way to have the player not just greatsword2win but was executed poorly
still one of the best games ive played
>>
oh look its this post again
>>
aside from soul memory, i liked DaS2 a lot more.
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.