[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Over/under Wii U sales?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 22
File: NintendoNX.jpg (25 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
NintendoNX.jpg
25 KB, 1200x674
I'll take the under.
>>
Under.
Save for the Wii, Nintendo console sales have been in constant decline.
>>
>>333003452
Over, just because the hype is already bigger than the Wii Us, also new Zelda.
>>
>>333003452
There's a slim chance Wii U will not even break 15M. Are you suggesting Nintendo can do worse than that?
>>
File: Amiibo scalpers.png (318 KB, 396x347) Image search: [Google]
Amiibo scalpers.png
318 KB, 396x347
Depends, you can't really assume

It all depends on Nintendo's advertisement, and more important Third Party

They HAVE to get back third party support

Like seriously, pay Activision for FIRST ON NX Call of Duty DLC, just fucking Do it
>>
How the fuck should I know?
Kimishima is a good businessman but Nintendo has been alienating their already present fanbase to a degree and NoA can't market for shit
>>
>>333004257
>Are you suggesting Nintendo can do worse than that?
Yes. I don't think they will get any third support at all at launch. I think the system will be less powerful than the current Xbox One, and it will be released alongside new consoles from Sony and Microsoft [how well that ends up working out for Sony/MS, who knows].

I truly believe Nintendo is basically dead in the US and I think outside of the Wii have never really sold well in Europe even going back to the NES. I also don't think Nintendo has the internal talent or technical knowledge to pull themselves out of it. They keep reusing that same CPU from Gamecube because they don't have the confidence to program on something else or the will to invest in training and internal software tools.
>>
>>333004078
Didn't Skyward Sword sell less than 5 million? I really don't think Nintendo has any big time system sellers anymore that aren't already being scooped up by the same ~10 million people who are left on Wii U. I anticipate a significant chunk of these people aren't going to bite again.
>>
Over.

People won't think it's just a peripheral for the Wii this time since they'll have proper naming sense this time.

Also, if rumors are true and it's launching with Zelda U port as well as a few Namco games (including Sm4sh port with all DLC in the box), it'll have a strong lead over Wii U's launch line up.

Definitely curious to see if Square Enix will support the platform this time compared to pretty much no games outside of Deus Ex which they hired another company to port anyway.
>>
>>333004285
>peachisshockedtofindthatmarioandbowserhadcamealloverluigisbuyfagcollection.jpg
>>
>>333004903
>Didn't Skyward Sword sell less than 5 million?
Yes. It barely broke 4 million, on a system with 100 million units sold. Wind Waker did more on a system that sold a fifth of what Wii sold.
>>
>>333004752

>less powerful than the current Xbox One

That doesnt mean shit, PS2 was the weakest of it's gen

and Nintendo uses their hardware well without even using all it's power

>>333004903
Thats why Nintendo needs to prove they are serious with the NX with GOOD launch titles and a strong third party support
>>
>>333004903
Skyward Sword also required Wiimote Plus though didn't it?

Doubt too many people were willing to shell out extra for dat controller.
>>
>>333004980

Having a 3D Mario at Launch will most likely help as well

Nobody asked for NSMBU, as great of a game as it was, 3D World shouldve been the launch title.

It's a high chance, and given Retro's new game will also possibly be a launch game as well.
>>
Over if they market it right this time, the wii sold because it targeted the more casual, often untargeted side of the market, they should do it again
>>
>>333005452
It's 2D Mario that sells systems, not 3D Mario. With that said, you're right no one wanted another effortless NSMB. If only Nintendo puts the same care and love into another sidescrolling Mario game as they do 3D Mario.
>>
File: 1426037284199.png (217 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1426037284199.png
217 KB, 680x680
>>333005459
>This is how NoA did marketing during the Wii U's launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVGQ3M8qO8Q
>This is how NoA does marketing today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwVr1pY9tc

It's like they learned nothing
>>
>>333005336
>PS2 was the weakest of its gen
No, that was Dreamcast, but it's not a realistic comparison at all. PS2 was the successor console to a previous model that sold ~100 million units and had a year head start on both Gamecube and Xbox AND had massive third party support.

The third parties have simply moved on and Nintendo's games aren't good enough anymore.
>>
>>333005459
>they should target the more casual crowd
Those people aren't coming back and Nintendo has totally lost the demographics who actually spend money on games.

Nintendo can't compete with $1 tablet games for mind share with super casual normalfags.
>>
File: tumblr_ms94o990u31r2g7mto1_500.jpg (66 KB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ms94o990u31r2g7mto1_500.jpg
66 KB, 500x343
lol @ everyone asserting their future telling prowess, thinking they know everything

we literally know next to nothing about it. How can you even make a prediction about how well it'll sell?
>>
File: 1459633215236.jpg (62 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1459633215236.jpg
62 KB, 550x550
>>333003870
>Patterns can never be broken
>>
>>333005837
>Nintendo's games aren't good enough anymore.
The highest fucking selling games on their consoles are Nintendo games

If you slap Mario on it, it's bound to sell over a million
>>
>>333007587
Kinda hard to break a "pattern" that's been going on for 30 years, but ok.
>>
>>333007783
Their handhelds did it just fine
>>
>>333007742
>The highest fucking selling games on their consoles are Nintendo games
The highest selling games on the worst selling console. You're taking away the wrong information from this. Nintendo games are selling to Nintendo fans who only buy the system for Nintendo games.

The larger problem is all of the people who know where to find Nintendo games if they want to play Nintendo games and choosing not to.
>>
>>333007923
The 3DS is Nintendo's worst selling handheld. I think the ~50+ million it pulled in [and how many were double dippers upgrading to N3DS?] is Nintendo's new normal. That's not good enough to prop up a poor performing console.
>>
>>333008070
>The larger problem is all of the people who know where to find Nintendo games if they want to play Nintendo games and choosing not to.
That's really moot because we don't really know if that's what's happening

>>333008253
>Ignoring Virtual Boy
Every time
>>
Depends on how the annoucement goes

Nintendo started fucking up the moment they announced the damn thing back in 2011
>>
there i s rumor that the nx will be more powerful then the ps4, i hope this is true and that they focus on handheld.
its will be like going in full sphere, they started in the video game industry with hand helds and a handheld would save them
>>
>>333008343
>we don't really know if that's what's happening
Yes, we do. We can look at what games are selling on other platforms and how much more they are selling than Nintendo games and we can surmise which franchises are real system sellers to a wider audience.
>Virtual Boy
I'm leaving Virtual Boy off because when you get into a pissing match with nitpicking Nintendo fans they alternately describe it as a portable or a console, depending on what they are trying to defend. It came with a tripod and a controller. I don't remember if it was battery operated; if it was, I don't know what you'd classify that as. If you want to call it a portable because Nintendo officially gave it the "Boy" nomenclature, okay we'll accept that it's a portable. That doesn't do anything about 3DS's lifetime units, which looks to be the new normal when you examine the growth in mobile gaming.
>>
>>333008669
>there is a rumor that the nx will be more powerful than the PS4
There is a more powerful PS4.5 on the way, though, and it's looking like Microsoft will also produce a new more powerful console.

Truthfully it looks like collusion against Nintendo to me, but I started this thread to talk about Nintendo's problems so I won't sidetrack too much into that.
>>
>>333008070
As opposed to a game that you can get literally everywhere, including your phone?
>>
>>333008832
>Yes, we do. We can look at what games are selling on other platforms and how much more they are selling than Nintendo games and we can surmise which franchises are real system sellers to a wider audience.
Then you need to add in the fact which ones are exclusive and which ones are multiplat. Of course multiplats are gonna sell better because they have a larger audience to sell to. Not really a fair match.

Then look at exclusives. For exclusives, you have to admit Nintendo's games are pretty fucking impressive. Half the damn Wii U's userbase bought Mario Kart 8, and fucking Splatoon outsold Bloodborne, which is on a console with 40+ million users VS one barely scraping 10 million.
>>
>>333009036
dude its still nothing to be ashamed of?
it would be like saying its not that good if the 3ds was as powerfull as a ps3
>>
>>333009130
I don't know what you're trying to get across here. The point isn't that Nintendo games don't have exclusives -- they do, they are full of them. It's that the number of people who actually want these exclusives and will pay for Nintendo hardware to access them is collapsing.
>>
File: rosalina.png (912 KB, 794x657) Image search: [Google]
rosalina.png
912 KB, 794x657
Over, definitely.

Nintendo will have a good launch lineup for the system. Zelda NX for sure.

It will be $200-$250 if it is not a hardware console/portable hybrid. Easy to do with ARM and no screen on the controller.
>>
File: WII U HAS NO GAEMS MEME.png (49 KB, 955x779) Image search: [Google]
WII U HAS NO GAEMS MEME.png
49 KB, 955x779
>>333004285
never then, all 3rd party sold like shit in wii u including yes bayonetta 2
>>
>>333009291
>It's that the number of people who actually want these exclusives and will pay for Nintendo hardware to access them is collapsing.
Unless you ignore the handhelds and shit.

Nintendo just has to get their shit together, make the online better, get third parties on board, etc.
>>
>>333009242
>Then you need to add in the fact which ones are exclusive and which ones are multiplat
I don't think I do, unfortunately. That's getting into gaming board minutia to score points.

The multi-platform games are selling systems and those systems aren't Nintendo. The point I'm trying to get across is that the wider gaming market knows that Nintendo games are exclusive to Nintendo consoles and they don't want them enough to buy Nintendo consoles to get access to those games or the other exclusives that third parties put on the system.
>Half the damn Wii U's user base bought Mario Kart 8
And the Wii U's user base is a fraction of the other two platforms -- indicating that there are tens and tens of millions of people who don't care about Mario Kart 8 and don't want to pay to get access to it.
>>
>>333007923
>virtually no competition for their handhelds

Its not even impressive. Not buyijg another Nintendo product especially their handheld such a horribly designed underpowered piece of shit.
>>
>>333009629
>Nintendo just has to get their shit together
What does this even mean?
>make the online better
You mean charge for it?
>get third parties on board
How do you suggest they do that when Nintendo has the lowest install base, third party games have typically done pretty poorly on recent Nintendo platforms, and many Nintendo fans are very hardcore gamers [or young children] who own multiple systems and buy their multi-platforms on their other system/PC?
>>
Nintendo should just drop Miis for the NX if they want to make the system feel new. Keep them contained on the Wiis and phone games sure, but when the NX rolls around they need something new or just not have the shit at all.
>>
>>333004285

I have to say, EA did some damn fine work on nuking 3rd party confidence in the thing after Nintendo snubbed them on the online backbone. "All the best versions of our shit are on Wii U yeeeeah" to "FROSTBITE IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THE WII U NO MORE QUESTIONS" in the blink of an eye. Once Epic denied UE4 support it was all over.
>>
>>333010309
No way that is happening half a year after the release of Miitomo.
>>
>>333010103
>How do you suggest they do that when Nintendo has the lowest install base
Fucking pay them

>third party games have typically done pretty poorly on recent Nintendo platforms

Because of the low install base, duh

>and many Nintendo fans are very hardcore gamers [or young children] who own multiple systems and buy their multi-platforms on their other system/PC?

So you're saying those people aren't buying Nintendo consoles because they don't have third party games on them, yet when they do have third party games on them, they won't buy them? What kind of fucking logic is this?
>>
>>333010456
But why not just keep it on the phone games? So casuals get the phone and shut-ins get the console. They just need to make the NX seem different is all.
>>
>>333009629
By copying what the successful companies are doing they'd turn to shit. While I agree on the third parties on board that's pretty much the only thing.

I don't want another generic games console. I want something good.
>>
>>333010515
>What kind of fucking logic is this?
It's abundantly clear. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

The people who buy Nintendo's consoles are either very young children with absolutely no purchasing power of their own who must rely on a parent to pick games up for them or extremely hardcore and dedicated game buyers who own multiple systems and only buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games. The only reason they own the console in the first place is exclusively for Nintendo games.
>>
>Wii U.
>Over/under Wii sales.

>NX.
>Over/under Wii U sales.

That's an easy answer.

>>333004078
Fucking where?! It's the same as Wii U; a miserable pile of lies and rumors with graphics faggotry all over the place! But enough talk.
>>
>>333009756
>there are tens and tens of millions of people who don't care about Mario Kart 8 and don't want to pay to get access to it.

Yet it still outsells a majority of releases on other systems, even some that are multiplatform.

I mean, Mario Kart Wii sold almost as much as Halo's entire sale history.
>>
>>333011720
>Fucking where?!

The fact people have been talking about it for an entire year.
>>
>>333003452
That depends on the gimmick they want to give it. If it's a standard console made to compete with the XBox and PS, then over. If its gimmick is anything like the Wii U (in that it decreased the potential of the console) then under. I predict that it will flop if the supposed handheld component is meant to be a replacement for the 3DS.
>>
File: 1455854638297.jpg (16 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
1455854638297.jpg
16 KB, 348x342
>>333005820
>first one markets to casuals
>second one markets to nobody
what the fuck are they doing
>>
>>333012018
I really want someone to explain Mario Kart Wii's sales

Most would just brush it off as "muh casuals" but it sold like 5x more than any other Mario game on the system.
>>
Will Nintendo go back to their NES roots like they did with the Wii?

If yes: over.

If no: under.
>>
>>333012616
>Will Nintendo go back to their NES roots like they did with the Wii?
Explain
>>
>>333012142
Yep same as Wii U.
>>
>>333012470
Mario Kart is the best-selling Mario title. Period. Always has been.
>>
Under. People aren't craving a new Smash. New Mario Kart won't push that many units. Splatoon sold well but again I'm not sure a sequel will push units. I could see this topping off at 12 million. No GTA, No Fifa, No Call of Duty, no casual audience. You need third parties to sell well.
>>
File: 1416203469244.png (283 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1416203469244.png
283 KB, 512x384
>>333012759
>people were talking about Project Cafe for a year.

try a couple months before the specs were leaked.
>>
>>333012731
The Wii targeted the people who made Nintendo a success in the first place: people who bought the NES.

The Wiimote was a sideways NES controller, Wii Sports harkened back to Nintendo's early NES sports games to the point where the golf courses were exactly the same ones as ones from Golf for the NES. The low barrier to entry for the Wii also mimics the NES.
>>
>>333012909
>You need third parties to sell well.

Explain that to the Wii. Most games that sold on it were First-party.
>>
File: 1423462125196.png (38 KB, 355x369) Image search: [Google]
1423462125196.png
38 KB, 355x369
>>333012945
>The Wii targeted the people who made Nintendo a success in the first place: people who bought the NES.

are you aware of how fucking stupid what you just said is or do I need to explain it to you?
>>
>>333012945
>The Wii targeted the people who made Nintendo a success in the first place: people who bought the NES.

That lasted until the moment they revealed the control of the wii.
>>
>>333012923
We've had a bunch of leaks for NX and they've all been proven fake
>>
>>333012992
Wii is an anomaly tbqh.
>>
>>333012992
I have to believe that 90% of wii's sales were to nursing homes to play wii sports.
>>
>>333013278
>>333013382
yup. Completely agree. It was a fad that attracted a shitton of casuals for seemingly no reason. It sold for the same reason the PS4 did: No one fucking knows. It just caught the wave right.

>>333013234
Yeah, i know. Cafe was fully leaked within a few months. NX has been kept secret for over a year and people are still talking about it. Like it or not, it's built hype.
>>
File: 1251359014680.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1251359014680.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>333012945
>this entire post
holy shit what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>333013801
I honestly think unless Nintendo fucks up the NX announcement, they have this E3 in the bag.

The only big announce Sony or MS could have is "BUY OUR SYSTEM AGAIN FOR BETTER RESOLUTION". Or another Crash game
>>
File: 1423940596706.jpg (32 KB, 381x424) Image search: [Google]
1423940596706.jpg
32 KB, 381x424
>>333005837
"not good enough anymore"
>>
File: Wii U CPU.jpg (178 KB, 923x456) Image search: [Google]
Wii U CPU.jpg
178 KB, 923x456
>>333012923
>>
>>333012470
It's funny because that's the only one I skipped
>>
>>333009469
Close to 1 million is respectable for Bayonetta 2 being on 1 platform.

Also, people seem to forget that Bayonetta 1 didn't start selling until the game went for a price drop to $20 on 360 and PS3.
>>
>>333014020
All I know is that Nintendo never likes to take the Expensive route. They know releasing a console more expensive than the PS4 is death at this point, and they also know they can't realistically clobber the competition graphically without significantly stronger specs.

It's gonna be really tough for Nintendo to win this one. The Wii U launch could've secured the gen for them, but they chose the route for a casual/hardcore console mix which failed horrendously.
>>
>>333013801
>Yeah, i know. Cafe was fully leaked within a few months. NX has been kept secret for over a year and people are still talking about it. Like it or not, it's built hype.

Nah, that's too naive. Otherwise cafe would had sold a lot due its explosive reveal. The hype is enough since the only thing that happens after the reveal is complaining of anything tech-wise.
>>
>>333014113
>that pic

....yes, and?
>>
>>333010327
>after Nintendo snubbed them on the online backbone
what?
>>
>>333014360
They've already got Zelda to talk about; as long as they talk about it which is pretty much certain at this point, they've won.
>>
>>333009469
>ZombiU sold better than Bayonetta 2
ZombiU if fucking shit. What the fuck?
>>
>>333014615
Zelda isn't a system-seller unfortunately. Never has been.
>>
File: 1423598172816.jpg (61 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1423598172816.jpg
61 KB, 320x240
>>333014695
Shitty Wii U launch lineup + 2 or 3 games worth buying + 4 million initial sales = loads a money
>>
File: 1450394230491.jpg (10 KB, 293x282) Image search: [Google]
1450394230491.jpg
10 KB, 293x282
>>333014756
>Memes.
>>
>>333014615
I don't think Zelda is as popular as you think it is. It's Ratchet and Clank tier.
>>
>>333014756
It doesn't matter - if they talk about it, they've won E3. Nothing interesting is on the horizon for PS4 or Xbox, unless they really pull off something totally unexpected and amazing, which is unlikely given that they had a pretty strong showing last year (relatively)
>>
>>333005820
I know it is worse in terms of marketing, but I'll take the Miitomo commercial over the early Wii U one any day of the week.
>>
>>333014695
ZombiU was also a launch title.

Also it's not a bad game IMO.

It implemented the gamepad quite well compared to most other games on the platform.
>>
>>333014608
EA reportedly wanted to make Wii U's online exclusively Origin. After seeing how much it fucks over its users, Nintendo told them to fuck off.

This pissed off EA to where they dropped all support. Crytek pretty much confirmed it when they said they had Crysis 3 "Up and running on Wii U" but they were forced to scrap it after "conflicts between EA and Nintendo"
>>
File: 1418193403692.jpg (142 KB, 1000x1542) Image search: [Google]
1418193403692.jpg
142 KB, 1000x1542
>>333014863
I'm not memeing. For chrissakes, MM is my favorite game. But you're deluding yourself if you think Zelda pushes consoles.

It's been a good supplement, but not a system seller. I mean, christ, just look at the attatchment rate for SS. If Zelda sells systems than SS should have sold way more.
>>
File: 1437626045426.jpg (23 KB, 480x236) Image search: [Google]
1437626045426.jpg
23 KB, 480x236
>64 successful
>gamecube not too successful
>wii successful
>wii u not successful
You know what that means
>>
>>333015069
I was talking about "winning" E3. Not "winning" a console generation.
>>
>>333014615
>>333014756

yes if they made it skyrim like

i say it will be better than wiiu ONLY if they reveal a thing that hypes people at e3 or when they decide to reveal it
>>
File: 1368414588716.jpg (33 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1368414588716.jpg
33 KB, 500x375
>>333014898
I hope so anon, Nintendo supposedly has a really good lineup in-store:

Confirmed
>Pikmin 4
>New 3D Mario
>Zelda U

Rumored
>FFVII remake
>DragonQuest
>FFXV??
>Smash Bros Wii U port
>4 other Bamco games (Dark Souls?)

I really hate to get hyped for anything anymore, but this makes me excited.
>>
>>333014984
> After seeing how much it fucks over its users, Nintendo told them to fuck off.
More realistically Nintendo wants 100% control over their online ecosystem, so they told them to fuck off.
>>
>>333015293
I'm just excited to actually hear about something new for once. Last E3 was a major disappointment. I wasted my whole lunch break on it.
>>
>>333003452
Under. With Sony coming up with a PS4.5/PS4K, NX would still be horribly underpowered and gimmicky.

NX being gimmicky wouldn't be all that bad if it was also powerful, but it's basically just trying to be on par (or slightly under) with Xbox One and PS4. It may still be lacking 3rd party support and more mature titles (that aren't censored to shit).

It's Wii/Wii U all over again. So again, under. Because it's dead on arrival.
>>
File: 1364510464445.jpg (9 KB, 222x145) Image search: [Google]
1364510464445.jpg
9 KB, 222x145
>>333015221
You might want to go back to the post you originally responded to bro.
>>
>>333015293
>DragonQuest
Pretty sure that was confirmed, or at least it was confirmed that they were considering it
There's no way it'll be a launch title though, DQXI is a long way off
>>
>>333015069
>First party games sells consoles.
>Delusion.

Look I know; Zelda has been weak for a decade now, i get it. Don't go that far to twist things just because the shittystation 4 no gaems trend.
>>
Under if it's a console. People who bought WiiUs won't be happy, people who didn't buy WiiUs won't care about it.
>>
>>333015458
You know all the reports of the PS4K are greatly exaggerated, right? Specs may be better, but it's probably just going to be the same as the PS3, faster loading times and cooler temps.

I highly doubt Sony will fuck over 40 million customers for the sake of performance.
>>
File: 1455328141019.gif (2 MB, 277x342) Image search: [Google]
1455328141019.gif
2 MB, 277x342
>>333014867
Ratchet and Clank has sold 13 million games total as a series.
Ocarina of Time (N64) and TP (Wii) outsell that. Just two games.
>>
>>333015458
>With Sony coming up with a PS4.5/PS4K
I don't see how doing an Apple with your systems is going to affect the NX
>>
>>333015582
Man, you're not listening. I love Zelda. I always have. But it doesn't push units. They sell well, but Mario and Pokemon have been the driving force behind the consoles for years now.

>the shittystation 4 no gaems trend.
I've never even mentioned sony! Why are you making this a console war shitshow? fuck off m8
>>
>>333013086
It's not stupid at all, it's the truth. Do you think the only people who played the NES were children? Adults played it. The simple sports games were popular with adults. The Wii targeted the same type of customers. It targeted the original people who played those NES sports games in addition to the children of the NES who were grown up and had real lives to deal with, thus making them like the adults who played the NES.

The NES influence isn't a secret or hidden. Wii Sports was a good game that fit into the lives of adults well since it didn't require a heavy investment of time, was a social experience, and had a low barrier to entry.
>>
>>333015960
The Wii targeted casuals, and the game sales vs. units sold confirm that. The marketing confirms that. Iwata's goal for the Wii confirms that. The amount of shovelware for the system confirms that.

The Wii was a runaway success because of casuals.
>>
>>333016093
>The amount of shovelware for the system confirms that.
So does that mean the PS2 was a success because of casuals too?
>>
>>333016281
Yup. PS2 sales are also an anomaly for the same reasons.
>>
>>333015907
Exactly Zelda doesn't push units as Pokemon or Mario but it does push units.
>>
>>333016281
>So does that mean the PS2 was a success because of casuals too?
are you trying to say it wasn't?
>>
>>333016093
The Wii targeted the NES audience. The NES targeted "casuals" too. Wii Sports is the best-selling single video game of all time, and prior to it the best-selling single video game of all time was Super Mario Bros. You could brush those aside by saying they're pack-in games, but that ignores the fact that people buy hardware to play games, not the other way around. The reason to buy a Wii was Wii Sports, the reason to buy an NES was Super Mario Bros.

Iwata's goal for the Wii was to expand the gaming population, since an entertainment medium that does not expand its audience withers.

>The amount of shovelware for the system confirms that.
The best-selling consoles always have a lot of shovelware. The PS2, PS1, NES, and Atari 2600 all have a lot of shovelware.
>>
File: 1456893378891.png (182 KB, 481x511) Image search: [Google]
1456893378891.png
182 KB, 481x511
>>333016546
>The Wii targeted the NES audience.
>He restates all the same straw grasping shit again as if rewording it will make it less retarded
You're fucking nuts dude
>>
>>333003452
Over. The reason the Wii U suffered so much was because it was horribly underpowered and still relied on a gimmick, which most consumers saw through immidiately after having dealt with the original Wii. The reason every console that isn't Wii were in a constant state of decline was that Nintendo always had a backwards idea with each of them. The N64 still used cartridges when CDs were starting to become the norm rather than the exception, and the Gamecube opted for the less spacious mini-DVDs rather than traditional ones that actually was worth developing for.

If Nintendo plays the NX smart, they may be able to break the trend and sell tons of units without needing to pander to casuals like they did with the Wii.
>>
>>333017075
Except now people think that Nintendo is just a "lol casuls" company thanks to the Wii's odd success. The Wii gave them a new name, and that name is Leapfrog.
>>
File: 1400445498957.png (487 KB, 571x538) Image search: [Google]
1400445498957.png
487 KB, 571x538
>>333017075
Not that it justifies it, but Nintendo always did the more limited mediums because loading times were way faster. Mini-discs, though limited in space, allowed for way faster loading time thanks to less travel-distance for the laser. Cartridges are self-explanatory.

Probably not wise choices, but they were done for the sake of giving gamers better experiences.

Nowadays I honestly wonder if they're going back to cartridges to speed up load times.
>>
>>333017075
but they are making literally the same mistake they did last time by releasing something mid-cycle while other platforms are already gained momentum. A gimmick is the only thing they can rely on, because they sure is hell aren't getting any of the market share PS4 and XBONE have at this point.
>>
>>333017417
The Wii U didn't release mid-cycle, nor did the Wii, Gamecube, or 64.
>>
>>333004285
>call of duty
>Nintendo
Won't work

Only timesplitters did.
>>
>>333020427
CoD shitters aren't gonna migrate to the Nintendo console anyhow. Anyone pretending that a Nintendo-box getting third-party games is magically gonna bring that demographic over is retarded. Most people are really fanboy-driven towards their console of choice.
>>
Panzer dragoon VC and nx gets my vote
>>
>>333003452
Over, fucking nobody bought a U. I didn't even know it was a thing until the year after it was out
>>
>>333009469
>vgchartz

Also around 1 million units is pretty fuckin good for a game like Bayo.
>>
>>333016546

When the nes debuted 1. Those who bought it were NOT casuals - the industry just suffered a horrible meltdown. 2. There was no such thing as casual vs. hardcore. Do you even remember playing games on the NES? 3. The people who played the NES - loved the NES - moved on to the SNES - more of the same but better- awesome.

The split started to happen at the N64 - the "Casual/kidfriendly vs Adult/hardcore" split. Gamecube extended it a bit further - and after that you were eating pink colored PG cotton candy for the rest of your gaming career if your were a Nintendo owner.

Wii and WiiU did NOT target those who played the NES or SNES - It targeted those who played Angrybirds and bought the latest apple iCult device.

Look at the biggest child friendly gaming phenomenon to happen in the last decade - Minecraft - Nintendo didn't even get in on that.

Oh - and the Gcube and Wii/Wiiu's only "hardcore" claim to fame? Smash brothers- accidental success from the fighting game community.

Imagine where Nintendo would be today in the eyes of "hardcore" gamers if they didn't trip into the Smash Brother's success? - I bet internally they hate the IP at that- it's very "not" nintendo

>needs traditional controller
>needs skill and more than single button presses
>appeals to a demographic not in diapers (either age extreme).

Nintendo's audience grew up

Nintendo didn't.
>>
>>333012470
packaged sales/bundles for like 2 years.
>>
Can you people stop pretending casual gamers even existed in the 80's?
>>
>>333023572
what on earth

> NES targeted everyone

>N64 started the kid/adult target audience split

> Wii & Wii U marketed to people who bought Apple products

> Nintendo didn't care about minecraft

> They accidentally stumbled into success in the fighting game genre

Did you think this was a coherent thought pattern when you posted it

Look at it again

Do you understand yourself
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.