[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you like Sonic CD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: Clock Mountain.png (708 KB, 4096x3584) Image search: [Google]
Clock Mountain.png
708 KB, 4096x3584
Did you like Sonic CD?
>>
Yeah, it was OK.
>>
>>332979760
Yeah.
>>
>>332979760
Yeah. I dont think I like it as much as 2 or 3, but better than 1.
>>
>>332979760
I never got what made it fun.
>>
>>332979760
It has the best level design of the original 2D games, and the charged dash was a nice addition. Main problem is the annoying time travel. On the whole it's my favorite Sonic game.
>>
It's okay, but level design is weak and almost all the bosses are a joke.
>>
>>332979760
Fuck no, too clunky
>>
>No one has made a Sonic CD hack with Mario going to parallel universes yet
>>
3 & Knuckles > 2 > CD > 1
>>
>>332980726
How did they do it?
During genesis era, Sonic games only get better.

And thanks to /v/ autism, you know that 3>2>1 is not a common pattern for a video game trilogy
>>
>>332980959

If i had to guess, its because the US and Japanese branches were still amicable partners.

Then the feud began, and it all went to shit.
>>
File: Quartz Be Good.png (724 KB, 5120x3584) Image search: [Google]
Quartz Be Good.png
724 KB, 5120x3584
anybody make a good future
>>
>>332980726
Good taste, anon
>>
File: Wacky Cork.png (543 KB, 5120x3584) Image search: [Google]
Wacky Cork.png
543 KB, 5120x3584
>>
>>332979760
do you have Sonic OCD?
>>
no, it was much worse than the 4 genesis sonics
>>
>>332980645
Music was too japanesey also
>>
File: image.png (6 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 KB, 320x224
>>332979760
My faveroutie one

Also Collision Chaos is the best zone in any Sonic game and also has the best music

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bi3gGwuA4Qk
>>
The game was okay.
The soundtrack was amazing, and I grew up with the US soundtrack. The JPN version blows it out the water.
>>
3K>CD>1=2
>>
>>332980726
This
>>
>>332981279

if you ain't aiming for good futures you're literally wasting your time playing
>>
>>332979760
it was pretty counter intuitive

>hey, you can travel through time if you go fast enough
>wow look at all these springs and speed boosters surely this will be simple en-wall oh i hit a wall and cant timetravel anymore
>>
File: KEY TO KEY.png (563 KB, 5120x3584) Image search: [Google]
KEY TO KEY.png
563 KB, 5120x3584
>>332982212
for you
>>
>>332982302

I don't like to say this but seriously, git gud
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Azop8fALfY

It was nice to see this one on Generations. Shit was good
>>
>>332979760
Love the time traveling mechanic and the change of atmosphere and tone in past, present, and future. Would like to see Sonic Team bring it back.

Level design is strange compared to the Genesis games though.
>>
I got all the timestones just to hear the complete soundtrack. I fucking hate the game itself.
The soundtrack is that good.
>>
>>332979760
My favorite game of all time.
>>
>>332979760
It's awful. Probably the worst 2D Sonic of the era. I don't know WHY people like it.
>>
>>332981958
>Jap Sonic CD soundtrack
USA soundtrack was way better
>>
I like the music, but the game was disappointing. Terrible ;evel design, the whole past/future gimmick wasn't fun, and outdated mechanics considering its release date.
>>
>>332982624
it is counter intuitive. for the same reason they gave sonic rings.

devs knew it was ` easy to go flying into obstacles.
rings system acts as grace so you dont lose much for it.

with the time travel system, if you lose momentum you end having to either look for another time travel sign or start level over entirely. either way wastes a lot more time than losing rings.
punishment is disproportionate to the difficulty of maintaining momentum long enough to time travel since its actually harder than just avoiding enemies and obstacles.

its so much simpler to just get all the timestones which gets you the same ending.
leads me to believe its a fuck up on their part because it makes no sense from a gameplay standpoint
>>
>>332983649
Because they have different tastes than you.
>>
I think Sonic CD is one of the best examples of giving a player a way to achieve something without actually benefiting them for it, and it being okay.

The Good Futures come with their own impressive remixes of the main theme, they all have a good mix of nature and technology to get that good aesthetic, and it just looks good.
And it affects nothing in the long run except for having no-enemies in the future. And that doesn't matter since Act 3 is usually when players end up seeing those good futures. The only one left is Robotnik and there's no real change to him.
Best part is you can get the "good ending" by either doing the bonus stages or just finding the way to the good futures in all the zones. I like that idea.

I like Sonic CD. Level design is a bit weird, but it's still one of the best entries in the series. And both soundtracks are fantastic.
>>
File: 1433732875575.jpg (51 KB, 555x344) Image search: [Google]
1433732875575.jpg
51 KB, 555x344
>>332983813
>He likes the US soundtrack over the Jap version
>>
It's alright, but the levels were way too busy.
>>
File: Ce-tDQiUsAAkjLE.jpg (32 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Ce-tDQiUsAAkjLE.jpg
32 KB, 600x600
>1 2 and CD had HD ports
>still nothing for 3&K
>still no ports for 1 and 2 outside of mobile
>>
>>332984225
We're working on it.
>>
Wasn't this game the brain child of the guy who designed sonic? I consider this to be the definitive version of the franchise since it incapsulates what the creator envisioned for the character.
>>
>>332983873
It's easier to get the time stones, yes, but it's also more rewarding to go through the stages and figuring out the way. It's why Metallic Madness is a lot harder to figure out where to do the time traveling.

It's really not that hard to figure out the mechanic. The key is figuring out the best points in each stage to actually speed up long enough to achieve the time-travel. It's hard to do so in the first playthrough, but the convoluted level design is actually a bit of a benefit for the multiple playthroughs. You can play them in multiple sessions and get different routes each time, like how Sonic 1 was.
>>
>>332984440
That's probably why it's my favorite Sonic game. It takes everything that makes Sonic Sonic and amplifies it into oblivion, meaning constant utilization of momentum and slope physics, which is the most fun I've ever had in a video game.
>>
>>332984440
The artist, yeah.
The lead programmer Yuji Naka who actually created the gameplay worked on Sonic 2
>>
>>332984225
>HD port of 1 and 2
I dont recall that. I only knew CD got an HD port, and the rest were just roms.
>>
>>332986391
they were, but they got remade in the new engine and updated
>>
Probably the most overrated game I know. Piss poor level design which is what made 2 and 3&K so good. I'd say it's far worse than 1.

>>332980420
I can't even comprehend this post. The only reason I can see people liking this game over the others is the time travel mechanic (which offers some exploration), but most people hate it and rightfully so.
>>
>>332987178
Is the updated version on Steam?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.