[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was RuneScape the only MMO to ever attempt to make their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: runescape oldschool.jpg (12 KB, 600x83) Image search: [Google]
runescape oldschool.jpg
12 KB, 600x83
Why was RuneScape the only MMO to ever attempt to make their quests any good?

Literally any other MMO is all just "go here, kill these, collect that" with no substance or reason, RuneScape actually makes their quests feel like quests instead of being a shitty errand boy for random NPCs.

Why doesn't any other MMO follow suit?

Hell, RuneScape has better quests than some single player RPG games.
>>
The Secret World had pretty good quests too.

Both suffered from some pretty bland gameplay though.
>>
Describe a typical Runescape quest then
>>
>>332934569
There is no "typical" quest, that is why it is so good
>>
Star Trek Online does quests like episodes of the show. Some puzzles! Some space, some ground, some gems of pretty great writing.

So yeah runescape isn't the only one but A+ for effort
>>
>>332934690

Describe a few fucking quests then. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>332934748
Do people actually play that?
>>
>>332934382
Had*

The good quests stopped around 2008-2009
>>
>>332935027

Just go to a runescape website and check out a quest guide for something like Monkey Madness.

Generally you have to have skills up to a certain point, and you have to gather a bunch of items and then solve a few puzzles or obstacles. Playing without a guide generally means going all over the world during a qurst to gather items.

At least until they added the grand exchange...
>>
>>332935027
I liked the one about helping the Dwarf father and son who were estranged make up and there was a silly little minigame about basically being Doctor Phil and helping them work out their problems.

They have a good share of silly stuff like that and then more grand stuff. One line involves choices that actually matter, like deciding what company gets to have their CEO made into a giant statue representing the Dwarven capitol, and this choice changes a lot of things in the follow up quest to that mission.

Other quests are fun just for the genuine adventure value, they are well written, from starting in an archeological dig site progressing to finding out about a whole ancient civilization and learning their magic, to journeying to the land of the fairies.

They also make each quest properly rewarding, with some areas of the map or ways of travel blocked off until you do they quests.

I liked the hot air balloon quests.
>>
>>332935027
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Monkey_Madness

Not OP, just going to link one of the more mid-level quests.
>>
>>332935079

Its much better than any f2p game has a right being. I thought much the same before I gave it a shot but as a long time fan of space sims STO has the best space combat I've ever experienced, hands down
>>
>>332935027
This is for Dragon Slayer:
>you need an anti-dragon shield from the duke of lumbridge or the dragon's fire will fuck you up
>to get to the island the dragon is on, you need to acquire 3 pieces of a map
>these pieces are defended by 3 wizards, one for each piece, and a series of puzzles is required to get each one
>you need to get a boat to get to the island
>buy a broken boat from a guy and repair it
>dragon fight time
>without the anti-dragon shield, it is basically guaranteed to one-shot you
>kill the dragon and put its head in your inventory
>bring it to the guy who gave you the quest
>he now sells you (at the time the quest was made) the best piece of armor in the game
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.