[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be a good place to get into modern fighting games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
What would be a good place to get into modern fighting games?

I've noticed that Guilty Gear Xrd is on sale right now on Steam. Would that be a good entry point?
>>
>>332916736
SF V or MKX
GG xrd will be dead soon since new version is 2 months away
>>
Street fighter V is your best bet. It's really simple and the combos aren't hard
>>
Do not listen to Street Fighter fanboys.
Their game will not teach you shit about the pace, execution, and damage of other games.
While as far as fundamentals, just go in with whatever you think looks best, including Street Fighter.
>>
>>332916736
Not really, you need real match experience if you want to get better so unless you have a local scene, play something with an active online community.
>>
>>332916736
Literally any fighting game is a decent entry point as long you have fun with it and try to improve.

Guilty gear is fun but a new version of the game will be released this year, so i would just wait a bit.

Fo now you can get SF5, Killer Instinct"which has a free version), SKullgirls and Mortal Kombat, but i heard MK pc version is kinda bad and not a lot of people play skullgirls but it ahs the very best tutorial i've ever seen in a fighting game.
>>
Get SFV and Xrd and you're set.
>>
>>332917276

GG is dead unless you're on PSN. It's the best game mentioned in this thread but a graveyard on PC.
For PC just get SF. Everything else is basically better on consoles.
>>
Anything is dead
It's a dead genre to begin with.
Get the game you like the most and stop lying to yourself with
>i-it'll have an active community
Beause it won't.
>>
Honestly it depends. Do you want to play seriously, like at competitions? Maybe just follow the community and play online? Or just try the genre? And which have you already played?

There's is no one "best for beginners" fighting game (though some are definitely better at entry level than others), so what's best is usually to experiment a bit and find what you're most comfortable with. Ideally newer releases since a healthy community of discussion will promote you staying longer.

Street Fighter V is a good starting point right now - it's new, and is getting regular updates and is popular. But it may just not be your kind of game so you might also want to consider Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator when that comes out, or the more recent release of Mortal Kombat.

Of course if you just want to try the genre jump in wherever you like. Guilty Gear is a lot of fun and Xrd has a great tutorial, one of the best in any fighting game IMO.
>>
>>332919472
SFV has an active community. And it will for years to come, just like SF4 did.
>>
>>332916736
Much has been said for 2D fighters but do try 3D fighters, too. They offer a completely different experience. Tekken is probably the best.
>>
SFV has the biggest community, is the simplest to get into (by this I mean execution plus the low amount of mechanics that are pretty straight forward) and now has an okay tutorial (but far from the best). It is also the only one doing free updates so no buying new version and having all game related content (which is an unclear statement but seems to mean characters and modes) all purchasable with in game money, how fair this economy will be is still unclear

GGXrd is a little dead at the moment (especially on PC) but will soon get an update which will reinvigorate it for a time. The tutorial is great but there are a lot of mechanics to rap you head around, the execution if more difficult and can be very fast paced which all can make it a bit tricky for new players who are just learning the basic concepts. Before some angry animefags replies I am not saying it is impossible just that it creates more of a barrier

MKX is not really worth it at this point, even XL did fuck all for the community. Tanya is still a monster

KI is free but there are a few notes to that. You have to have W10 or xbone, you only get one character that rotates (I believe weekly) meaning you basically have to buy someone to main but one of these characters (shadow Jago) is only available at certain times for $10. Outside that it has probably the best selection of modes but the game is not very popular at all mostly cause of the xbone plus w10 stuff
>>
>>332916736
xrd will be dead in 2 months on pc, so unless you have friends who want to play it too don't bother.
>>
Friendly remidner that Melty Blood is coming on steam on April 20th
>>
>>332916736
gg is a lot of fun but there's a lot to the mechanics, so its bad for an absolute beginner. also the playerbase is on ps3/ps4 because crossplay.

and the new version of gg is already kinda out in arcade demo format on ps4 if you preorder.
>>
>>332920961
friendly reminder that it will also be dead in 2 months like every animu fighter on steam.
>>
>>332919323

I get Xrd matches on PC every time I'm on
>>
>>332921150
just wait for the updated version to be released and so who that changes, I wouldnt be surprised if at least 30% of the player base on pc right now are just psn players who just prefer pc but will jump ship as soon as the updated version is released.
>>
File: 1454834790334.jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1454834790334.jpg
60 KB, 550x366
>>332921052
>>
Blazblue is an alright game in terms of characters. The story mode though is something you have to choose in terms of if you enjoy it or not. Doesn't seem to be a lot of people online though if you are going for online experience.
>>
>>332921052

People are still playing Melty on CCaster to this day you capcuck
>>
>>332916736
XRD's getting a new version in a few months. Wouldn't reccomend it now.
>>
File: image%3A9096.png (297 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
image%3A9096.png
297 KB, 878x900
>>332921487

>Blazblue
>>
>>332921640
get over yourself. without BB, Xrd wouldn't even be a thing nowl
>>
A friend told me Skullgirls has the best tutorial to learn the basics of fighting
Can someone confirm this?
>>
>>332922960
For a time but games have caught up now
>>
>>332922960
Virtua Fighter 4 EVO is still the king, but SG and Xrd are fine 2D attempts. I think Xrd is better than SG because it gives you context to the stuff you're doing.
>>
>>332922960
I love this meme
>>
>>332916736
Pirate the game at least to some practice in before the new version comes out don't listen to those lazy faggots
>>
>>332919691
bunch of normies who buy the game to play 15 minutes and then abandon it for any other big name is not a "community"
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.