[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there another game series that went as retarded as quickly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: KH_1.jpg (184 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
KH_1.jpg
184 KB, 650x366
Is there another game series that went as retarded as quickly as Kingdom Hearts? Final Fantasy was kind of a gradual change, Metal Gear Solid was quicker but its had fewer games
>>
>>332913737
KH1 was good, dark theme and then they went full colorful, shitty QTE in KH2
>>
>>332913737
>game series that went retarded
In gameplay? Or just in plot?
>>
Son there is no way you saw the opening to KH1 and didn't think "what the fuck is going on here"

Shit was wierd from the gate
>>
>KH1
Disney + minor Final Fantasy
>KHCoM
OC donut steel + shit
Handheld, gimmick cards which is fine, but then the story opened up and it all went to shit. Instead of 4 original characters, they jacked it up to 18~ and made them all super special snowflakes and 13 or more of them wear edgy zipper trench coats, my goodness this clusterfuck isn't fun whatsoever.

I get that it's written as they go along, but it doesn't have to switch to nobodies and dual wielding keyblades and artificial drama nobody gives a fuck about. all I wanted was 1, 2 and 3. No necessary side bullshit games, just a straight story of Sora and Mickey beating some evil
>>
>>332913990
I agree, the Disney+FF part was only really present in the first game, all the other games are OC+ Disney/ff on the side. It's a shame.
However, I still consider KH2fm the better game overall.
>>
>>332913737
>Can't understand game
Filthy fucking casual
>>
>>332913945
Once you get past the basic premise, KH1 is just a story about some kid trying to find his friends and some old evil scientist working behind the Disney Villains.

Then 2 went full retard with Bizarro Sora and Virtual Worlds and two Ansems and Riku being Ansem and juggling like 5 seperate villains with barely any screentime.
>>
>>332914179

This.

The story really isnt that complicated if you play all the games.

A bit silly maybe, but not as incomprehensible as everyone says.

That is, until you get to DDD. That whole time travel plot was pants on head retarded
>>
>>332913990
it's an allegorical adventure of going after the philosophers stone

Normie's don't understand the symbolic undertone of the whole series and why the side shit is important

everything actually makes sense too, it's not just a random story
>>
>>332914151
The Final Fantasy stuff has always been extremely minor, and 2 had far more FF in it than 1. It also has a greater number of Disney worlds and most of them are far better designed than in 1, just with a lot more OC stuff on the side as well.
>>
>>332914179
>>332914507
>>332914558
It's dumb because he makes it complicated and builds on it just to do it. It wasn't a story he had an idea for, fleshed it out, worked on it a bit and then implemented. Once a game is done, he starts thinking of how to up the ante and make it even cooler and more ridiculous
which is fine, but it's not quality or good or enjoyable. Japs just write like that, it's why every manga starts with lowly villains and builds up to planet busters
>>
>>332914597
It's mostly how actually relevant the Disney stuff is, in KH1 it's pretty fucking important, with also the Villains' League as a major threat. In the other games it's mostly just there.
>>
Dino Crisis went from survival horror with dinosaurs to action game in space within three games.
>>
Kingdom Hearts is a game about crossing Final Fantasy characters/themes over with Disney worlds/characters. It was always a retarded series from the start. The plot went insane, but that tends to happen when Final Fantasy games get direct sequels. Final Fantasy games tend to go crazy towards the end, but when you have to then continue from those insane developments it can only become more convoluted.

But yeah, if you go straight from KH1 to KH2 it's certainly one of the biggest jumps in crazy plot shit. Still love the series though, I'm a sucker for the gameplay and how much of a dork Sora is.
>>
>>332914151
I'd rather play KH2 than 1 any time, but only because you can skip shit and the camera isn't retarded
>>
>Not enjoying Nomura's crazy ride
>>
>>332914712

>It's not quality or good, or enjoyable.

Speak for yourself.

The game isnt Shakespeare by any means, but I'm actually looking forward to the second keyblade war, and seeing everything go to shit.

Even then, the story is just a framing device for the fun combat and characters to interact in
>>
>>332914790
I agree, but I was only talking about the story.
>>
>>332913737
Really though why do people watch the cutscenes? Why would you play KH if not for the combat? I mean if we're talking about the PS2 games since the handhelds have shit gameplay.
>>
>>332913737
It was just boring in the 1st game. I rather enjoy the crazy plot developments and the org members.
>>
Honestly the only bad KH games are 358/2 Days and X.

>KH1FM is really charming, feels like a genuine adventure, and has a fun mix of exploration and platforming to supplement the somewhat weak combat.
>CoM has a semi-interesting battle system that, while not great, is fairly cool for at least the first full playthrough - and the actually decent writing is compelling enough to carry the game on its own, assuming you give a fuck about Sora and Riku.
>KH2FM, like CoM, completely cuts out the platforming and exploration - but compensates by now having actually legit as fuck combat, some really good bossfights, and some really fucking good fanservice for fans of Disney's non-Golden/Silver/Bronze age films.
>KHBBSFM has a bunch of interesting elements, alright writing, decent combat that's clearly limited by being handheld, and is generally pretty okay despite its bigger failings.
>Re:Coded is straight up the best 3D action game on the DS, like god damn. The inconsequential plot means jackshit when its just that much fun to play.
>DDD has the Dream Eaters cancer-tier pet-raising shit and the busted flowmotion system but is still a fun action game, and even if it probably sealed the deal on killing off the Disney element as being a major part of the over-arching narrative the craziness and absurdity of the direction it has brought the series is still entertaining in a dumb way.

So long as the gameplay remains generally pretty good I'll keep playing, its an entertaining series.
>>
I'm glad FFXV is finally coming out soon so we can finally get closer to the end of Nomura's crazy ride.
Once the Xehanort saga is done, I hop off this train forever.
>>
>>332917242
Just how important is Re:Coded storywise?
I don't remember jack shit about it.
The journals get fucky, you unfuck this mess during a data story that doesn't matter and then the game ends, right?
>>
>>332917485
Pretty much. They only remember the protagonists from BBS and that's about it. I believe 358/2 was more relevant to the story.
>>
Let's be fair here. It went retarded because Square wasn't allowed to do anything with Disney properties in any capacity beyond having them present.

No branching Disney based story.
Characters can't interact with each other except for Donald and Goofy.
Characters can't cross over worlds except for summons.
Plots can't cross over.

Disney basically neutered it before it could even be released.
>>
Kingdom hearts was 100% retarded and stupid in every regard since the first game came out. It was doomed from the beginning and it attracted noisy little retards.
>>
File: Shigeru_Miyamoto.jpg (44 KB, 455x343) Image search: [Google]
Shigeru_Miyamoto.jpg
44 KB, 455x343
>>332918193
>No messing with our Disney lore!
>But it's okay for us to give Simba a new Son
>>
>>332917485
Re: Coded only existe to tell us what the letter said at the end of 2. Then 2.5 added a new cutscene that's more relevant to bbs and 3d than re coded
>>
>>332913737
I still believe the whole Disney/SE crossover thing is a big joke. It's mostly just SE characters just showing up, Disney's temporary in-world team-ups, and mostly a promotional element to tease and gain hype while the game is being developed.

All in all, it's just a "deep" and "complex" story about fate, life choices and Light vs. Dark philosophies with a "But your favorite Disney AND Squeenix characters are also in the game! Cloud Strife and the guy from Tron?! WHHHOOOA didnt see that coming" with wacky-smacky keyblade battles. oh, and Sora represents that kid who makes comments on a disney movie he/she's watching.

Games like the MvC series and Project X Zone do the crossover thing right, with either multiple team-ups or a story that actually involves the characters
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.