[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: People who are more knowledgeable about game design than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: ocarina-vs-alttp.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ocarina-vs-alttp.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
ITT: People who are more knowledgeable about game design than the collective mind of /v/
>>
Me
>>
>>332778626
>Zelda Sequelitis

Why would you choose the worst one
>>
>>332778626
we all know he actually hates it because he's terrible at video games. so anything beyond the complexity of 2D games like alttp is too much for him.
>>
>>332778626
>ITT: People who make money by baiting viewers, so they meticulously salvage games for points they can base their bait videos on
If you take this shit seriously Celeb Friedman, then you're one sorry idiot, who needs to play more games instead of listening to faggots like that. Saged and hidden.
>>
>More knowledgable about Game design

>I hate puzzles despite LTTL had puzzles
>>
epic, simply epic
>>
Explain how Arin is knowledgeable about videogame design.

He's done nothing to design a video game. He hasn't studied programming. He hasn't even gone to college.

He's occasionally funny in animations. That's it.
>>
>>332778626
op is a faggot
>>
>>332778626
>People who are more knowledgeable about game design than the collective mind of /v/
My autistic seven year old nephew who got in a car accident at age five and has spent the last two years in a vegetative state.
>>
>>332778894
His older sequelitis's were actually pretty good. Shit like teaching through level design, making sure your tools have actual uses, etc were all objective and actually good points(if not obvious). It's just sad to see he's the reason devs have to put all the tutorials and shit in games these days because apparently colorcoding shit to characters isn't obvious enough.
>>
File: 1458758091090.png (14 KB, 140x440) Image search: [Google]
1458758091090.png
14 KB, 140x440
>>332778752
>>332778772
>>332778854
>>332778885
>>332778889
>>332778894
>>332778928
>being THIS mad that he's right and your favourite game of all time is actually a load of shit
>>
>>332778626
Never watching this video is one of my proudest accomplishments. Go fuck yourself, underage.
>>
File: 1451601822578.jpg (6 KB, 295x378) Image search: [Google]
1451601822578.jpg
6 KB, 295x378
>>332779230
>Arin
>Right about anything
>>
File: 1458628683374.png (313 KB, 500x688) Image search: [Google]
1458628683374.png
313 KB, 500x688
It's funny because /v/ wouldn't be able to articulate a single element of good game design without parroting what they heard their e-celebs say.
>>
>>332779230
fuck off, Arin
>>
>>332779228
>if not obvious
Exactly. 5 minutes of any given GDC conference will have more pearls of wisdom than this faggot has shit out in his entire life.

Now, if I was 12 years old like all his fans, I'd get why people find him entertaining/enlightening.
>>
look at me, i can throw buzzwords and memes too!

le vidya industry is le dying, le SJWs r killing it xD
le nips will save le vidya industry once again ;))
at least im not le anthony burch xDDD
4chan is better than leddit :))
>>
>>332779228

His sequelitis videos are just him pointing out the obvious and why MMX is clearly superior to the original megaman games.
>>
>>332779656
anon bls
>>
>>332779230
>defending yourself on 4chan
c'mon Arin, what happened to you
>>
>>332779916
>anon
That's clearly Kate, you piece of shit.
>>
>>332780065
kek i love le inside le jokes
>>
File: YouTried.png (80 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
YouTried.png
80 KB, 450x450
>>332778626
3/10 for the prank bro. People bait like this year round.
>>
>>332778626
pic not related im i rite?
>>
>>332779228
He makes good points, but I feel as if he thinks that tutorials are always bad and that is just wrong, there are times when you just have to outright tell the player about a certain mechanic trough text/images/whathaveyou instead of trying to convey it through the level design, you can teach them how to jump, shoot and other simple actions, but the more complex the mechanic the more trouble you'll have coming up with effective ways to teach the player about it. I mean, good fucking luck trying to teach someone playing Dark Souls for the first time about parrying, poise, negative stamina, etc. using only the level design of the starting area—without using any words or images whatsoever.
>>
>>332780257
Colleen pls rest your mammals, you're PMSing again.
>>
>>332778752
>implying they aren't all equally bad

Also, Egoraptor himself admitted those are bad and that the only redeeming factor they have is the "humor".

The guy knows jack shit about game design.
>>
>>332780858
Shut up namefag.
>>
File: 830248324023.png (146 KB, 306x373) Image search: [Google]
830248324023.png
146 KB, 306x373
>>332780851

>there are times when you just have to outright tell the player about a certain mechanic trough text/images/whathaveyou instead of trying to convey it through the level design
I don't know about this. At the most, you can simply have an optional sign telling you how to play, and have an enemy or piece of the level that looks like you can practice the game mechanic there. Have it be out of the way and optional, instead of being a massive hurdle to the actual fun part of the game.

Ocarina of Time kinda did this by having NPCs describe gameplay mechanics, and you could avoid them, but alot of times you were forced to listen to them blabber on, and in the case of finding new items, you had to go through the exact same, canned animation every time, and read the dialog over and over. I know I'm parroting Arin here, but he made a good point here. Why can't they minimize the amount of talking, especially when you're getting an item you already have?
>>
>>332779230
bane?
>>
>>332781282
Is that the point he makes in the video? I refuse to watch it.

I've always felt that way about Super Mario World. I don't need Yoshi to fucking explain to me how he got in the goddamn egg, let's just run to the right and jump on stuff. 3 didn't need that crap, you learned by doing. Maybe SMW should be categorized as an adventure game.
>>
>>332781653

If you ask me, I Don't think he went far enough. Ocarina of TIme, for all of its positive points, had alot of problems too. Like I've mentioned before, why is every single cutscene unskippable? Why does half the dialog actively prevent you from skipping it, or even speeding it up? Why is Hyrule Field empty and devoid of anything interesting, except maybe an NPC or two? Why do none of the remakes, ports, remasters, etc do anything to fix the lacking difficulty? Things like that.
>>
>>332782073

Not that I think the game is bad, but it needs improvement.
>>
>>332778894
>you need to know programming to determine the quality of a game

your other points are valid but you dont need to know programming at all to critique video game design, especially if the source code for the game isn't available for you to look over for inefficient uses in memory or poor AI design.

when you're presented with the game itself you can't say anything about the programming besides basic level shit like "the AI is retarded" and even then you can't make meaningful critique about it anyways.
>>
File: ec.jpg (11 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ec.jpg
11 KB, 640x360
How about this guy?
>>
>>332781023
Nah, the megaman one was an interesting perspective on teaching moments in gaming. A lot of it is fairly obvious but that doesn't mean the video is trash.
>>
>>332778626
>muh gamefeel
Made up words. He's on par with niggers making up names, honestly.
>>
>>332782073
>why is every single cutscene unskippable?
That was normal at the time, especially for cut-scenes rendered in-engine.
>Why does half the dialog actively prevent you from skipping it, or even speeding it up?
That was normal for the time.
>Why is Hyrule Field empty and devoid of anything interesting, except maybe an NPC or two?
It was one of the first games that did anything like it, they did the best they could or knew.
>Why do none of the remakes, ports, remasters, etc do anything to fix the lacking difficulty?
Fair point. Though there is Master Quest, but that's not exactly standard difficulty increase.

I just feel that most of Ocarina of Time's design problems can be explained by its age.
>>
>>332778626
A-april fools?
>>
>>332778626
who?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.