[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To be a big player in galactic politics and a potential Council
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: mass-effect-windows-front-cover.jpg (208 KB, 800x1137) Image search: [Google]
mass-effect-windows-front-cover.jpg
208 KB, 800x1137
To be a big player in galactic politics and a potential Council member is the only requirement that you go undiscovered by the galactic community until you've had the chance to build multiple fleets of space battleships? It seems like the only thing that saved the humans from being a slave race like the volus was that nobody noticed their existence until they'd already spread beyond a handful of systems.
>>
>>332775037
The Volus got robbed. Unfortunately, they are not as plot relevant as Humans, who are super special and the best.
>>
>>332775037
Yeah I really don't like how humans become a council race right in the first game. Honestly humanity should have earned it after 3 or something. Humanity are basically mary sues and it's kind of annoying
>>
Nah everything's pretty balanced. We're not the smartest or strongest, but we have immune systems and a caveman like.desire to fight. Humans are the species that everyone "just has to deal with".
>>
>>332775246
>defending an alien jew race
>>
>>332775514
I like how humanity in any futuristic game with interstellar travel is always just Space America.
>>
>>332775872
On an interstellar scale, a loose federal system with a small central government and greater local autonomy for individual planets (i.e. Space America) is the only real practical way of governing when you have such long distances and where each planet is more or less self-sustainable.
>>
>>332775872
Space Canada anon.
>>
>>332776217
It's more than just the political system. All other cultures just dissolve and all of humanity ends up adopting America's cultural ideals, including the pushy attitude that ends up making all other races look down on us unti that pushy persistent attitude is what ends up saving the galaxy and has them all kissing our feet. It's hilarious how cliche it is.
>>
>>332775514
It really comes down to military capability, when they first figured out mass relay travel they were aggressively planting colonies everywhere they could while building fleets of Star Destroyers that they didn't even know for sure they would need.

Then thanks to having more warships than they actually needed humanity first got noticed by riding the momentum from inflicting a military defeat on the turians in their first meeting (kind of like how the major powers really took notice of Japan after they managed to defeat Russia, when nobody expected an established European imperial power could ever be beaten by some inferior Asian upstart). A defeat they inflicted because the turians thought they had beaten the human forces and settled in to occupy the colony and didn't expect that a whole other fleet would exist that could jump in.

The same military allows the humans to aggressively colonize more planets and outcompete the batarians in colonizing the Skyllian Verge. Having political momentum from beating the turians means the Council won't stop them colonizing. More colonies means more resources means more economy means more influence.

Also having a significant military presence didn't hurt when they swooped in to attack Sovereign.
>>
Any explanation as to why everybody speaks english?
>>
>>332778284
>Sarah Shepard
It also helps that biologically, humans aren't jellyfish or tiny bankers.
>>
>>332777610
Much of the world is already adopting America's cultural ideals.
>>
>>332778785
Translators in the omnitools. Considering everyone owns one or even has it as a chip under their skin, it would be almost impossible to hear an alien's original language, except for when they want to.
>>
>>332778284

Can't argue with Commander Shepard here.
>>
>>332778912
Why don't Volus just make battlesuits?
>>
>>332779558
They don't really need to, they have a mutual security pact with the turians.
>>
>>332775872
>GAME DEVELOPERS FROM AMERICA ARE AMERICAN
>ALSO THIS WEEK WATER IS WET
>>
>>332775514
The humans never become that important even after they enter the Council, though. All the major decisions seem to be left to the other races and Anderson or Udina never seems to count that much.

The asari, the turian, and the quarian have more experience, their opinions weight more, and ultimately the introduction of the human race in the Council is just something more like mere appearance than a true victory.
>>
I wonder what would happen if there was a species that achieved space travel and discovered the citadel a few years after the reapers leave, and militarized and built up so much that the reapers show up and it's an even fight
>>
>Udina seems like a person who genuinely cares for humanity and a decent person, just stressed to shit and a bit of a dick
>me3 makes him evil
why
>>
>>332778284
If ny phone screen was big enough i would screencap this like the reddit meme it deserves to be
>>
>>332780339
I think it was meant to be corruption of power showing that the reapers were kind of right that biological being become corrupt as they become more powerful. This is probably just me giving bioware too much credit desu but then it shows shepherd overcoming that corruption.
>>
>Sovereign is the one that brings all the Reapers in
>Harbinger is their leader
shouldn't it be the other way around
>>
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 800x6092) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 800x6092
>>332780339
ME3 basically said "fuck everything" to a lot of things.

Go check out Shamus Young's series on Mass Effect. It probably uses more words than are necessary, but it does do a decent job of laying out where the writers just didn't care.
>>
>>332778284
>kind of like how the major powers really took notice of Japan after they managed to defeat Russia
It's possible this is what the writers had in mind specifically considering they added a Space Washington Naval Treaty limiting humanity's dreadnoughts (which just like Imperial Japan they circumvented by building carriers instead)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.