[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how come Resident Evil 4 and 5 get so much praise while 6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (690 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
690 KB, 1920x1080
So how come Resident Evil 4 and 5 get so much praise while 6 gets shitted on nonstop? Is it just a meme from asshurt oldfags who keep crying about muh horror or is there really a devastating difference?
>>
>>332725584
5 gets shit on plenty, and 6, while I did like it, made a fucking LOT of changes.
>>
Look, guy, we get it, you like RE6. You can stop making these threads now.
>>
>>332725584
people unironically thought re4 was RE
>>
>incredibly unintuitive user interface and inventory management
>camera was right up character's ass at launch
>enemies barely react to shots, compared to the very anatomy-sensitive enemies of 4 and 5
>schizophrenic tone even for Resident Evil
>general inconsistency in quality between all campaigns
>QTEs so bad they needed to put an auto-QTE option

It made some great developments gameplay-wise. The player characters themselves move fantastically.

But it's still plagued by poor decisions.
>>
>>332725763
That was the time I actually made a RE thread. Finished 5 and 6 recently and was just wondering.
>>
>>332725863
quantity over quality as re5 looks better
>>
>>332725932

Guy, you've been caught out already. You can't lie to me. I know it's you. The least you could do is own up to it.
>>
4, 5 and 6 get shit on non-stop here if you look around. Yet somehow putrid fucking bile like Code Veronica and Zero get a pass because they continued to rehash the same stagnating stale formula of the classic games. The REmake worshiping is sickening too, any mentally functioning person who plays that game will actually notice the filthy amount of artificial game extending bullshit the remake throws in just to make the game longer than the original, in addition to the absolutely inane, trivial nonsense the player is forced to deal with like door knobs suddenly not fucking working.
>>
>>332725584
I enjoyed playing 5 with a friend, but really couldn't get into it playing by myself.
The same goes for 6, but even with a friend, it was very tedious at times. The quicktime events are just out of control and go beyond being a minor annoyance. The inventory system was pretty bad and space was very limited, which would be great if it were a survival horror game, but when you have to work your way through an obnoxiously clumsy inventory just to throw things away to make room for another (small) stack of ammo, it really breaks up the action.
On top of that, the story was pretty mediocre. I'm probably in the minority, but I actually do enjoy the story of Resident Evil games, and I even thought 5 was pretty good. I expected some kind of big payoff in the Ada Wong campaign in 6, but it was incredibly underwhelming. Add to that the repetition that plagues each campaign, and it ended up being a pretty big disappointment.
>>
File: 1454702130151.jpg (52 KB, 1080x940) Image search: [Google]
1454702130151.jpg
52 KB, 1080x940
I shit on 4 the most since that's where the cancer took over muh survival horror

Then I remember it's video games and play something else. It's not like we will have actual fun ever again anyway so just give up with me.

At least my cat doesn't care.
>>
Been playing on PS4 and it's honestly cool and fun as fuck. Not really sure what's going on in Leon's story but i'm only on chapter 2. Not gonna lie, the whole dying in a cutscene thing can be annoying and weird design choices like *shoot this bitches little orange orb on her arm before she kills your partner and you fail the mission* bits can become awful trial and error bits.
>>
>>332726314
the thing that annoys me the most is that after the first game the player gets more than enough ammo and weapons to kill most enemies but those classic RE fags will pretend that those games require you to conserve your ammo
>>
>>332726349
the grind/unlock loop got worse every game after 4, they made it super grindy and in 6 basically amounts to handicaps for bad players rather than interesting loadouts/builds
>>
>>332726507
funny way of saying 2 but whatever
>>
Six was just bad. It was unoriginal and very arcadey. Remember when Resident Evil was scary? Five jumped the shark and six fucked the shark in the ass.
>>
File: 1456823333011.jpg (98 KB, 1080x1701) Image search: [Google]
1456823333011.jpg
98 KB, 1080x1701
>>332726609
Are you implying that 2 isn't the best RE?
We don't share the same opinion about one small meaningless thing. Let's hate eachother.
>>
>>332726659
>Remember when Resident Evil was scary?

It was scary?
>>
>>332726659
>Remember when Resident Evil was scary
no I don't it was originally a parody of old zombie movies but then it started taking itself seriously
>>
>>332726801

Yes, kiddo, we can harken back to the PS1 era, far before you were born, to when the games had good atmosphere.
>>
>>332726773
no its just as action packed as 4 but contrarians will say otherwise because of muh classic horror roots
>>
>>332726859
You mean like the brightly lit rooms?
>>
>>332726527
> Playing on easy mode
>>
>>332726943
Sure, kid.

Stick to your five nights at freddies games.
>>
>>332726659
I played the old RE games years ago and I never got the impression that they were meant to be scary. I also never had much problems with ammo so I really don't know where all this survival horror shit is coming from.
>>
>>332726527
I've never played a game where I was actually shorted on ammo. My OCD always kicks into overdrive when games make this claim, then the next thing I know, I'm leaving pickups behind because my inventory is full.
>>
>>332727035
>ignoring facts
even on the harder difficulties its easy to run away from most enemies and save all your ammo
>>
>>332726859

>resident evil
>good atmosphere
>scary

wew lad, eat your jill sandwich and stop posting. Your franchise was a shitty mess since the first game.

The only good RE games are 4 and Revelations
>>
5-6 can easily be improved by just removing co-op

thats what made RE4 so good, just you and the goons
>>
File: 1457543191076.jpg (29 KB, 1080x864) Image search: [Google]
1457543191076.jpg
29 KB, 1080x864
>>332726932
För me its about the game going from being fun and quirky-scary if you enjoy jumpacares to generic action guy quick time event America America america game.
I enjoy 4-6 as easy casual games, they should just not have the RE title.
Then again I think the rail shooters for Wii are the best ones cause of story.
Whatever. Wanna erp or something?
>>
File: 949198794678.jpg (105 KB, 859x755) Image search: [Google]
949198794678.jpg
105 KB, 859x755
>>332727195
>The only good RE games are 4 and Revelations
>>
RE4 = RE5 = RE6 Mercenaries No Mercy > The rest of RE6
>>
>>332727064
You seem oddly defensive of a not really that scary game. Is it because you played it as a kid that you found it scary?
>>
>>332727067
It's all nostalgia goggles. We played them when we were babbies, so they scared us. We also had horrible child dexterity, so we missed half of the shots we took.
>>
It trades nice, snappy gunplay for feature bloat and some movement mechanics that are only really taken advantage in a sub-mode in a minigame where the sub-mode wasn't even included in the original release.
>>
>>332726659
>Remember when Resident Evil was scary?
>>
4 was literally GOAT for awhile. Made QTEs fun, revolutionized 3rd person shooters, etc.

5 was the same game but with forced multiplayer. Disapointing.

6 was a cash grab. Shitty mercenaries, shitty COD gameplay, shitty missions.
>>
>>332727303
Mercs Reunion > Mercs5 > Mercs6 > Mercs4
>>
RE6 is terrible because of two things mainly, the awful cramped level design, and the absolutely horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE pacing.

The level design in the campaigns are designed to play like a generic TPS, to actually enjoy the gameplay like intended you need to play mercs. And it deserves to be said again but the pacing really is awful. It makes MGSV's pacing problems look like a joke. The game starts and stops 4 times over, each campaign is designed to feel self-contained and as if any of them could potentially be the players first. It builds up and climaxes 4 times over.

Playing RE6 is actually exhausting.
>>
What would be the best option for Capcom to continue the series? As it looks now RE is still very popular in Japan and they'll even release a new movie next year.

I guess that most people want to see a RE2 remake.
>>
>>332727654
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 750x738) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 750x738
I can remember everything about RE4 and RE5 both good and bad.
RE6 felt like a fever dream. I can recall playing and beating it with a friend in a day but that's about it.
The 2 things that stick out the most was I think fighting a giant dinosaur looking thing with an eyeball for a mouth in a convention center that felt like it must have taken forever and then directly afterwards fighting a giant zombified housefly.
Shits weird man.
>>
>>332727654
Well they are making a re2 remake so you aren't wrong
>>
>>332727654
2 separate series
mainline is co-op/action/mp service ala sfv
indie/episodic/taletale 'horror' series, nobody pays full price for the story.
they probably should try to copy until dawn for the horror.

if they didn't hire incompetent people racoon city and umbrella core should've hit the first thing i mentioned; fuck just do a re6mercs redux/remaster.
>>
>RE4 has the best inventory system the series and genre could come up with
>No other game will use it ever again
I don't understand, here not a single person I know that does not love the RE4 inventory system, it was fun as hell to play around with it, you can't SAY THAT IN MANY GAMES
>>
>>332728273
>autismal tetris
>pausing the game everytime in an action game
>>
>>332727946
I can't wait for all the asshurt when they don't use the static camera angles.
>>
>>332728273
The inventory system was cool when I was younger, but I feel it has shown its age.

>pausing the action every time you switch items

It's exhausting, to be honest.
>>
>>332728541
>RE5
>Call your companion mid fights to trade items, sometimes buge or slow as fuck in real time
>getting fuck in the ass by bosses because of it
>Literally the most stupid inventory system in the series
>>
>>332728273
>>332728541
>new RE4 port has inventory auto sort option
>>
>>332728273
human revolution is the only game with a better menu system imo
>>
>>332728785
>can't communicate with partner so you don't have to trade
>trading items midfight
>not finding safe position to trade
>>
>>332728785
>managing inventory during a boss fight like a retard

Holy shit, git gud.
>>
>>332727067
It's simple. Ammo was limited and fixed in old REs. You could literally run out of ammo in the game if you really sucked and tried to kill everything and sucked at it. RE4-6 constantly push you forward and throw ammo your way based on how much you have in total so as long as you're killing something ammo will pop up.
>>
>>332728785
like >>332728939 said, 9 slots is more than enough for any situation gitgud

>but i need to be carrying 6 guns
>>
I miss RE5. I've probably clocked in more than 200 hours in that game. There's so many neat little tricks and short cuts I picked up on just by playing with others and learning the ins and outs.
>>
>>332728157
Well that could be a good idea.

By now there's no way that the main series will go back to the roots and it's obvious that RE7 will be a third person action game just like 4,5 and 6.

Revelations on the other hand panders more to the horror fanbase and did a pretty gud job.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to all new RE games. RE2 remake already got announced, REV3 is inevitable and since the movie will most likely be a sequel to RE6 then a RE7 announcement at the E3 might be not too far fetched.
>>
>>332725584

6 was very streamlined and more action focused. Oldfags couldn't hang with the new focus on action and RE4/5 fags were thrown off with a focus on new systems and gameplay focus.

The game just feels different than all the other RE's. People couldn't handle Capcom taking risks and trying new things and hated it for some reason. I personally found the game to be a breath of fresh air. 5 was just Resident Evil 4 part two with old characters brought back to get nostalgia fags, with a boring setting.

6 was fun and exciting and new don't listen to these faggots
>>
Resident evil for the most part is trash, but holy shit the gameplay is fucking smooth as butter, mercs mode is so damn good. I'm going to cry bitch tears when the next RE comes out and the combat is not like 6.

I need the next WWE zombie edition.
>>
>>332725584
6 was literally too ambitious for its own good and felt like someone with ADD made it. Trim the fat, focus on the new characters, open up the levels, have enemies that actually flinch where you shoot them like 4/5, drop the QTEs, learn what pacing is again, get rid of that bullshit skills system.
>>
>>332725863
/thread
>>
>>332726314
Your mindset behind your post is 100% accurate and >>332726527 is right on the money too, considering most RE threads devolve into shit flinging, and yet i don't see anymore really giving much praise to CV and even less to 0.

Old RE was good, RE4 was also good, 5 less so because i didn't play it co-op (legit non of my friends liked RE) and 6 is a flamming pile of garbage one or two anons are shilling for reasons solely known to them.

RE feels like it's dead; old RE could make a comeback, but it would need a really big overhaul and improvement, and RE4 style RE feels like no one really cares anymore, or has any passion for it.
>>
>>332729781
The new characters are shit though. Piers was a total faggot who probably jerked off to Chris' boulder muscles and Jake was an asspull out of nowhere.
>>
>>332728867
Human Revolution had a shit inventory system compared to re4 . sure the principles were the same, but it was hard to make quick actions with it as the highlighted section would first dim before lighting up as if to trick the player where it's "curser" was. It was bad
>>
>>332725584
RE6 is the point at which it didn't even try to be survival horror.

Everything that was wrong with RE5 was ten times worse in RE6. It's like they didn't respond to criticism at all.

Also it was a massive waste of a good combat system. They should've just made a spinoff or a new IP entirely.
>>
>>332730471
And Helena is just boring. You can't just throw in new characters after 20 years, flick the switch and focus on them in the following games.
>>
>>332730353
>RE4 style RE feels like no one really cares anymore, or has any passion for it.
aka bandwagoners/babby's first tps
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 500x375
>>332730628
>Resident Evil
>survival horror
>>
>>332730628
>It's like they didn't respond to criticism at all.
>let's go back to the old formula
hey now you got your rehashes and remixes
>>
>>332730763
>And Helena is just boring. You can't just throw in new characters after 20 years, flick the switch and focus on them in the following games.
You can, but you pretty much have to make them the main character then, and not have a big reveal about them that has zero impact because of their "literally who are you?" status.
>>
>>332730874
RE literally basically established survival horror gameplay.

>>332730895
Okay, NOW they're responding to criticism. You're right. But what I was getting at was that at that point in time, they pretty much just dialed up the action in the series even further. The QTEs and the setpieces too.
>>
>>332731095
you understand that as soon as re5 wrapped/shipped they already were working on 6?
and almost everyone loved co-op as it was fairly new and not alot of games offered that despite the bitching about forced co-op by no friend losers
>>
>>332725584
Are you being serious?
RE4 was a fucking masterpiece. It revolutionized third person shooters in a way that no game has done since then. Not only that, but games continue to copy it so closely that you can actually boot up the game, play it today, and literally all it needs is a texture upgrade for it to feel like a 2015 game.

RE5, while a huge step backwards, still had a few high notes. Most notably, the action was slightly faster and the addition of bro-op.

RE6 completely cocked up the co-op. It was literally thrown in as as afterthought, and yet somehow 50% of the game revolves around it. There's no incentive to play co-op, since player 2 contributes nothing, while stealing all your kills, ammo, and items. But every fucking level, checkpoint, and boss fight reminds you that "HEY GUYZ THIS IS CO-OP REMEMBER??"

RE6 is a complete fucking joke. And the story is insanely lazy.
>"Let's just take every character from every previous game."
>Then what?
>"Uh... Let's put them in China."
That's pretty much it. Then they randomly have them overlap, but not in prolonged or meaningful ways. Every story intersection is extremely contrived, and you can tell they were so fucking proud of that shit. So much so that they advertise it on every loading screen, and even have a whole online mode dedicated to it.

Fuck, RE6 is lazy and poorly made.
>>
I like it a lot. Mercs has never been better.
>>
>>332731095
I think what he's saying is that it coined the term, but it was literally never "survival" and only RE1 and RE2 were even horror.

In every single RE game, including RE1, you are packed to the fucking tits with guns, ammo, and health items. There's no survival aspect whatsoever.

And RE3 was definitely when the series started throwing in action. It was maybe a 40/60 mix of horror/action. But still noticeably higher than the previous two games.
>>
>>332731561
>ammo, and items
?
Each player gets their own spawns of each items.

They straight up fixed that shit from 5 where one player got the shotgun and the other got the shit guns.
>>
>>332731284
>despite the bitching about forced co-op by no friend losers
*people who actually wanted a survival horror experience
>>
They could've at least done what ObsCure did and let you ditch the AI co-op partner.
>>
>>332732006
Dunno how things are with online co-op. I was talking about couch co-op.
In offline mode, you only get double spawns of the guns. Not the ammo/items.

Player 2 also can't interact with the skills menu at all, let alone purchase and equip their own skills. But they still steal kills, preventing you from getting trophies/medals, and lowering your end-stage ranking by not having any of their shit count.
Their weapon kills also don't count to unlocking anything. Their medals also don't count to unlocking anything and aren't even tracked.

They fucked up the offline mode so bad.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
>>332732549
>They fucked up the offline mode so bad.
Par for course by this point.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.