[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't another huge company step up to compete in consoles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: samsung-box.jpg (19 KB, 600x310) Image search: [Google]
samsung-box.jpg
19 KB, 600x310
Why doesn't another huge company step up to compete in consoles? Is there not enough money to be split three ways? is there no other company that would dominate the other two?

pic related. I foresee them getting involved someday. maybe indirectly.
>>
Samsung probably will.

They'll probably Beat Sony, just like they do in every department.
>>
What do you think the VR headsets are? They're the successors to consoles, generally.
>>
>>332721452
more like accessories.
>>
File: 1459451905915.gif (42 KB, 400x458) Image search: [Google]
1459451905915.gif
42 KB, 400x458
Samsung wont do anything beyond a small android console.

There's no real reason for another company to step up. Both Sony and Microsoft offer pretty much the same service, both have the same features pretty much. Nintendo Consoles do their own little thing

what could a new company even offer? We saw many consoles try during the 5th gen, only sony and nintendo survived, with sega on its deathbed. Microsoft stepped in and pretty much offered a dreamcast 2

i really think we've reached the peak of console innovation
>>
>>332721602
>what would a new console even offer?

Exclusives.
better peripherals. with more options.
higher tech specs.

there's no reason to be content with the current big boys buffoonery.
>>
File: ouya[1].jpg (44 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
ouya[1].jpg
44 KB, 950x534
>>332721043
>>
I would have thought Amazon or Apple would have a console announced by 2015.

But by 2014 everyone seemed hesitant to predict the future of consoles. Most people feel this will be the last generation before PCs and tablets take over.
>>
>>332721572
look at the situation with the Big Two launches. it's a legit Console War.
>>
>>332722034
>meme console

I'm talking about a legitimate company. fucking apple and samsung are in a position where they can decide "hey, I make the consoles now" and it would be so in only a couple years.
>>
>>332721858
Exclusives wont work in todays world, even microsoft gave up on them.

>better peripherals
nobody gives a shit about these beyond keyboards, headsets, and now VR headsets

>higher tech specs
at a higher cost to the consumer, and the consumers have a 20+ year trust with sony, almost 40 year trust with nintendo, and a 16 year trust with microsoft.
>>
>>332721043
We already have Nintendo, and two over-bloated giants. We don't need a third.
>>
>>332722125
>apple
Apple made a console, it failed, Jobs didn't give a shit about video games, I doubt Cook does either. If they made one it would just be an apple ouya or something
>>
>>332722125
>making consoles
they already make $600 devices people buy every year
>>
>>332722093
>Amazon
>Apple

Apple doesnt see enough money as a reward for the risk.

Amazon tried very briefly and failed quietly. trust me when I say you absolutely do not want a situation where amazon finds success in the console market. theyre only attracted to the very newest and more egregious traits it has (DLC out the ass, gimmicks, iphone game levels of addiction, trickery for your money while playing)
>>
>>332721043
No reason to, 99% of all games are multiplatform. Every single platform is literally being unified and everything runs PC hardware now.
There is so little reason to put PC hardware in a box and try to eke out a margin unless you're producing the majority of your own content like Nintendo.
Sony and Microsoft are in the race to the bottom and the number of gimmicks and peripherals coming to Sony consoles as well as a new console coming literally 2 years of launch shows how little life there is left in consoles.
It's all just a final cash grab.
Invest in a PC if you like video games.
>>
>>332722108
I refuse to buy an Occulus for this exact reason. Vive is trying to be OpenVR with Steam bundled, but Occulus (and PSVR as well although it's not competing for the same market) is trying to start an all out console war. That combined with the Windows 10 level spyware is unforgivable.
>>
i can see samsung making an attempt in the console market when the xbox brand dies
>>
The market is changing too much. The rise of mobileshit, VR and the f2p model in general has put traditional consoles into question, which is why you see all three manufacturers throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks (PS4.5/PSVR, NX, Xbox 10) Literally no one has any idea what will happen, no megahuge company wants to invest in traditional consoles right now because the risk is so high. A smaller company could make some money with a transitional platform but good luck getting a giant like Samsung to risk anything.
>>
>android console

Yeah, this worked every single time! The shield, the ouya, the gamestick, the mojo, they're all incredible ideas and they're the most popular thing, RIGHT?
>>
>>332723531
samsung doesnt mean android
>>
>>332723583
They're gooks, they'll try to do it the cheapest way possible and sell it for a maximized price.
>>
File: 51h3nVPSjbL._SX425_[1].jpg (34 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
51h3nVPSjbL._SX425_[1].jpg
34 KB, 425x425
>>332723531
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8cXgIM2hy0
>>
>>332721043
There are massive upfront costs.

Microsoft spent many billion at a loss for years to get in, when it was arguably cheaper and easier.

What niche could a new company cheaply fulfill that isn't already fulfilled by steam machines, PC gaming, current consoles or their soon upgrades? What company has the game software pedigree to even remotely capitalize on that niche?
>>
money is no longer in traditional consoles, that's some early-2000s internet bubble shit. I agree with >>332723174 in that a 'transitional console' is the next clear step, but this late in the game it's clear that no one company can provide any real edge over another. Significant performance differences, exclusives, custom cloud services - these things can't exist now that globalization has taken hold. I predict that steam will be the most viable platform in the next ten years, who knows after that
>>
>>332724316
>>332723174
what about subsidized steammachine that is tied to cable/internet
>>
Too risky to jump into the game industry these days. Even those leading don't want much to do with it. Consoles are likely coming to an end and the games are just the same few series rehashed eternally.
>>
>>332724556
yeah maybe, but I imagine this would only suffice for a wide, casual crowd. This is what I thought OnLive would be come, but the infrastructure just isn't there - especially in the US. If you're already into games, it's a fair assumption that you wouldn't fall for some basic-performance catch all subscription based steam box that sits next to your tv it's entire life
>>
File: 130610_mac_pro_interior.jpg (176 KB, 590x429) Image search: [Google]
130610_mac_pro_interior.jpg
176 KB, 590x429
Apple and Samsung are the only really logical companies who could step in. Both of them have their own operating systems. Samsung owns its own fabs and is a large supplier to various industries of the kinds of internal parts you need to build a console.

Apple has their own API, their own content distribution network, millions of loyal customers who already have money invested in content tied to Apple. They do design work on their own CPUs and GPUs [under license from ARM and PowerVR] and they have a lot of technical expertise [much more so than the three current console manufacturers] in putting powerful [well, not so powerful relative to what Apple charges for it, but you know what I mean] hardware inside compelling packaging. They also have enough cash on hand to purchase companies like Imagination Technologies and AMD who may be looking for a buyer in the not-so-distant future [Apple apparently did have talks about buying Imagination around a week ago, but didn't pull the trigger].

I think Samsung is more satisfied being a potential supplier to all corners of the gaming, mobile, etc, market than taking on the responsibilities of a platform holder in the console market and I don't think Apple would accept the hardware margins they'd be expected to live with in this space, nor would the core gaming market accept Apple's price point.
>>
I actually enjoy Samsung products and would be willing to give them a shot. As soon as Xbox drops off or nintendo leaves console.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.