[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this better than Dark Souls 2 vanilla? It looks like Darksiders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: Darksiders.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Darksiders.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Is this better than Dark Souls 2 vanilla?
It looks like Darksiders with Souls mechanics.
The weighty dumb WoW tier armor and giant hammers.

It's fairly cheap on PSN, is it worth picking up if I'm burned out on Souls(already played 3) or should I just wait for Deep Down?
>>
>>332706184
No. Diet Grape Souls Lite.
>>
Ignoring its quality, why in god's name would you play a game well known to be a Souls copycat when you're burnt out on Souls? It doesn't reinvent anything that Souls does, and what it does do better is debatable. It's not going to refresh your love for the type of game.

Just play something else. I don't consider Lord of the Fallen to be that good, but that's besides the point since you're burnt out on Souls.
>>
>>332706184
>Is this better than Dark Souls 2 vanilla?
A little better level design, equally as floaty but with even less fun equipment or places to explore.

Ugly as shit, slow as shit, clunky as shit. Just ignore and move on.
>>
>>332706474
It's the only ARPG aside from Inquisition I haven't played, and assumed it offered something different enough to warrant a commercial release
>>
>>332706184
It's slow and clunky, that's the main thing.
Rolling for example is very... slow and leaves no real measures for counterplay.

There is a plethora or needlessness and a lack of things needed, wouldn't buy,
>>
>>332706592
Not really. It tries super hard to be Souls without any of the subtlety, character customization, or weird Japanese world/monster designs of those games. It's like a 6/10 if you're desperate for a Souls experience, but if you're already burnt out on that type of game it's not worth looking into.

I recommend that you keep looking, and definitely keep looking if Inquisition was an option. There are a lot of ARPGs out there these days, there's gotta be something you haven't played.
>>
>>332706935
Kingdoms of Amalur is the only other that comes to mind, but I've heard it's essentially a solo MMO with none of the draw ins that keep playing MMOs.
>>
>>332707075
*keep people playing
>>
>>332706184
This game is garbage, dosnt do anythig new, ans is essentially souls with less of everything that makes it likeable.
>>
>>332707075
That's basically the right idea. I played through Amalur and genuinely struggled to remember any character, plot point, or enemy I had difficulty with. It's just so bland and uninteresting. It might've been something if it actually was an MMO, but it isn't.

Have you played Dragon's Dogma, the Witcher games, Monster Hunter, or maybe even a Metroidvania like Symphony, Aria, Dawn, something like that?

That or, like you said, just wait until something better comes out.
>>
>>332706184
I never played DaS2 so im comparing this to DaS1:

The level design is quite a bit better lot better then Dark Souls, even if the environments themselves aren't.

It has an actual plot, unlike Dark Souls.

It's way more polished, controls are actually responsive instead of designed by a 12 year old downie that doesn't understand that 2-second delays in character responses are unacceptable.

It doesn't really cheese you like Dark Souls has a tendency to, it's way more fair and legitimately challenging rather than artificially difficult (inb4 butthurt). Despite it, I actually died more often and had a harder time with LOTF than DaS, which is fortunate because the level design means you can get back to where you were pretty quick instead of wasting 5 minutes running across the map.

All in all, it's got quite a bit less content (weapons, skills, levels, mechanics, etc.) but what is there is substantially more polished and well done then anything in Souls. I really like the art design too, to be honest. I'd say Souls is easily the better game overall but LoTF is by no means bad, I think I paid $30 for it and I feel like I got my money's worth.
>>
>>332707572
I played DD, Witcher series, and MH3 and the PSP one.
Don't have a 3DS anymore so MH4 isn't an option.
I haven't played any Tales games, assuming you're referring to those, so I guess I'll give them a shot.
Any particular order?
>>
>>332707075
Amalur is decent but it's a cakewalk.
No challenge ever so you just play for the ton of lore and get bored of never doing anything
>>
>>332708181
Technically I meant Metroidvanias like Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, and others. Sorry, don't know why I shortened that.

Still, Tales games are solid from what I hear. I've only ever played Tales of Symphonia, but I'm sure it's easy to find out which are good and bad.
>>
>>332706184
Don't pay more than 20$ and don't expect much.
>>
>>332706184

Tries too hard to rip off of souls.

Combat is clunky, levels are decent, bosses are just humanoids that do their combo and let you attack them, and the music is completely forgettable.

If you're that bored, then go ahead.
>>
>>332706184
You'd probably get 20-30 hours of decent entertainment out of it.
You get rewards for beating the bosses in specific ways, might want to look those up if you get it.
>>
>>332706184
God if any of you fucking salty autists say that you prefer LOTF over DS2 I am so fucking done with this board
>>
>>332706184

Yes, souls games are clunky artificial difficulty shit. This game is not the holy grail of anything, but it's a well done, unbuggy "souls" game, or whatever the fuck that is.
>>
>>332706184
free on xbox one with gold

inb4 >free
>>
File: Great enemy design.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Great enemy design.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>332708945
Reminder that DS2 was a B-team shitshow and only fromdrones try to defend it.
Including 'defending' it from LOTF.

Reminder, also, that only jealous fromdrones truly hate LOTF.
>>
File: ConsoleParity2.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ConsoleParity2.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>332709604
>>
Playing a tank felt better in LotF, but playing almost anything else felt better in DaS2. I liked having supplementary tank spells like the decoy attack sponge, switched things up a bit. I felt like LotF felt slow no matter what you're wearing, whereas DaS can actually be pretty fast if you use a curved weapon and low equipment load. LotF loses out on story, but I actually prefer the visuals and general atmosphere to DaS2 (any other souls game blows it out the water). The bosses were mostly enjoyable, although the game got a little repetitive by the end. I'd say it was a lot of fun if you treat it as a light hearted side game like darksiders. If you try and read deeply into it or analyse it it starts to fall apart. Just have fun with it, don't heighten your expectations too much and see what you think. For 99% of ARPGs going in comparing it to DaS is asking for disappointment.
>>
>>332709604
guess that makes me a FROM drone then, like thats a bad thing?

Enjoy your slav-souls
>>
>>332710006
How many armored core games have you played? kings field? shadow tower? tenchu? You don't qualify for fromdrone if you've only played a few of the souls games.
>>
>>332710006
Ok then, fine by me
>>
File: 1457405948455.png (26 KB, 523x412) Image search: [Google]
1457405948455.png
26 KB, 523x412
>>332710006
>he likes something
>someone else likes it too & tries to make something similiar
>he hates this
>>
File: 1458633695995.jpg (45 KB, 458x215) Image search: [Google]
1458633695995.jpg
45 KB, 458x215
>>332707983
>>332709604

Anti-Denuvo and Fromdrones are mad as fuck that a sequel has already been confirmed. It's a better, Western take on the Souls formula with greater than Japanese production values that blows Bloodborne out of the water.

>A LOOSELY Souls style game with INSANELY better graphics.
>Motion-captured animations.
>Westernized/European aesthetic and ideals.
>Dynamically placed, ambient music cues
>A FULLY REALIZED, immersive story with a set character that's actually voiced.
>FULLY voiced audio notes
>Mouths actually move when characters talk
>Stops at NG++.
>Much harder, REALISTIC fighting.
>Metroid/Castlevania style exploration.
>Crafting
>Don't have to worry about retards interfering with your game
>A much MORE rewarding Level-up system that emphasizes risk versus playing it safe.
>No retarded marathon runs to get back to a boss
>Boss weapon drops are dependent on how you battle/kill a boss, making strategy VERY rewarding.
>It's on PC
>>
>>332710321
Dont get me wrong, id rather play LOTF than most other games, but its not very good as a souls game. I am in full favour of more games following the souls formula. Good or bad.
>>
>>332706184
Fuck you for comparing Darksiders to this piece of shit.
>>
>>332710393
>they're still false-flagging more than a year later
At least, I hope this is false-flagging.
Because this copy-pasta is and has always been bait-tier & it just sets retards who believe it up for disappointment & asspain.
>>
>>332710450
Hm, okay I guess I had you wrong then.
>>
>>332710393

>Sequel has been confirmed

What? I thought they were working on The Surge, which has nothing to do with Lords of the Fallen.
>>
File: 1459177501171.jpg (25 KB, 542x579) Image search: [Google]
1459177501171.jpg
25 KB, 542x579
>enemies that only get effected by magic in the late game, if you haven't levelled it at all then you're just kind of fucked
>shield tackling takes care of the vast majority of enemies
>big shield enemies are just as bad if not worse than the ones in Dark Souls 2 with their tracking
>worn out Warcraft/Warhammer aesthetic
>no memorable bosses
>plot is "religion man bad, demon men good"
>game gets incredibly easier later on, an inverse difficulty curve
Pass.
>>
Who's got that picture of Kanji from P4 eating Yukiko's omelette with him saying "It's pretty cool how you put a bunch of ingredients into it and it came out tasting like nothing."? That's the perfect image for this artstyle and game in general.
>>
>>332711121

>enemies that only get effected by magic in the late game, if you haven't levelled it at all then you're just kind of fucked

I think you're talking about the ghosts, in which case they don't take physical damage but any weapon with a fire/poison/electric modifier will deal with it.

>shield tackling takes care of the vast majority of enemies

That only knocks smaller enemies to the floor, not sure how it could carry you through the game.

>big shield enemies are just as bad if not worse than the ones in Dark Souls 2 with their tracking

That's what your spells are for. Punish makes the bit shielded guys an absolute joke.

>worn out Warcraft/Warhammer aesthetic

Opinion. I personally love the artsyle.

>no memorable bosses

Another opinion. Beast, champion and annihlator are all pretty memorable.

>plot is "religion man bad, demon men good"

I though the idea of literally satan sending an army against literally the pope because he pulls evil from mens hearts was quite an interesting concept, I've personally not seen it before.

>game gets incredibly easier later on, an inverse difficulty curve

Any game gets easier the more you play it because you're a higher level and have better gear and know the game more.

This was fun.
>>
>>332710996
LotF was co-developed by two studios, one of which is doing a sequel and the other is doing The Surge. Both are due out next year, iirc.

I'm sure they'll both be completely mediocre.
>>
>>332712438
>That only knocks smaller enemies to the floor, not sure how it could carry you through the game.
different guy but the tackle shield breaks and stumbles every big enemy, giving you a window to wail on them from what I remembered
also, a game should introduce more challenges as you play through to keep you interested and keep you learning, being able to steam roll everything like nothing as the game progresses is not fun. It feels the same as grinding at that point.

the timing for combos was something I enjoyed
>>
>>332709750
God fucking damn that is pathetic, what happened
>>
File: DS2 development process.webm (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
DS2 development process.webm
2 MB, 1440x900
>>332712998
What do you think happened?
https://youtu.be/ykbT03r_9Zo
https://youtu.be/WFQoLN89_j8

They didn't want blight-town 2.0, and MS/SONY wanted 'muh parity'.
>>
>>332712554

Probably, thanks for the clarification though.
>>
>>332713693

Accurate.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.