[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You censorshits didn't complain about this back in the day
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: comic331_zps0e179cf7.png (215 KB, 650x902) Image search: [Google]
comic331_zps0e179cf7.png
215 KB, 650x902
You censorshits didn't complain about this back in the day
>>
>>332700726
Difference between altering the name of a food item and removing tons of shit. It'd be like if they simply took out the scene of them eating instead.
>>
>>332700726
We mostly laughed at it. It is a horrid localization though.
>>
>>332701398
>We
>>
>>332700726
Pretty sure people did complain. In fact you'll find you've posted a comic doing exactly that.
>>
>>332700726
Because it didn't harm the game
>>
File: image.png (563 KB, 800x981) Image search: [Google]
image.png
563 KB, 800x981
>>332700726
So I wanted to start off by saying, I think the development team has done a pretty great job with the cast of female hero's in Overwatch. They are diverse, interesting, and compelling. From Mei to Zarya to Widowmaker the female cast reflects a large spectrum of personalities and player fantasies.

With that being said, lets talk about Tracer. From a marketing standpoint, she's the star of the show. She's a great hero. When we look at the way she's portrayed in promotional media, lore, and art in game we know a few things about her..

She's Fast.
She's Silly.
She's Kind.
She's a good Friend.
Her body seems to be comprised of about 95% spunk.

Almost all of her art reflects this. She's got cool skins, fun poses and amazing victory animations.

All of this art reinforces the great character they've built around tracer.

Then out of seemingly no where we have this pose. WHAT? What about this pose has anything to do with the character they're building in tracer? It's not fun, its not silly, it has nothing to do with being a fast elite killer. It just reduces tracer to another bland female sex symbol.

We aren't looking at a widowmaker pose here, this isn't a character who is in part defined by flaunting her sexuality. This pose says to the player base, oh we've got all these cool diverse characters, but at any moment we are willing to reduce them to sex symbols to help boost our investment game.

I have a young daughter that everyday when I wake up wants to watch the recall trailer again. She knows who tracer is, and as she grows up, she can grow up alongside these characters.

What I'm asking is that as they continue to add to the overwatch cast and investment elements, double down on their commitment to create strong female characters. They've been doing a good job so far, but shipping with a tracer pose like this undermines so much of the good they've already done.
>>
There's a difference between translating a foreign game to resonate more with different people and just flat out not translating character dialogue and calling it a finished product.

There's also a difference between translation and cutting content.
>>
>>332700726
It wasn't sexual, we'll only whine about censorship when it affects masturbation.
>>
In the first game, it wasn't really a problem. As the games became progressively more Japanese, they realized they dug themselves in a hole and had to make more radical localizations to avoid having to retcon the whole setting.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 219x230
>>332701823
I regret missing the thread this copypasta was made in
>>
There is a difference between localization and censorship. True localization is supposed to remove any references to shit us dumb Americans won't understand, which is what AA had. There is sometimes overlap, like skeleton censorship in China since chinks are culturally weird about skeletons, but the censorship people are assmad about is censorship for the sake of appeasing people who don't actually play video games (see:Tracer).
>>
>>332701823
I've browsed /v/ almost daily for the past 8 years and this is the gayest thing i've read in my entire life,.
>>
>>332702053
It's the original post from the Overwatch forums.
>>
>>332702053
This wasn't made in a copy pasta thread.

It is a copy pasta thread, but it was originally my post on the Blizzard forums that I posted as a joke.

Turns out, the jokes went too far, and the pose was removed.

No harm no foul though, right?
>>
>>332702220
Then you would know that /v/ hasn't existed for 8 years,

You would also know that this was a copy pasta.

Fuck off newfag.
>>
>>332702269
bullshit.

>>332702316
>originally my post on the Blizzard forums that I posted as a joke
bullershit.
>>
>>332700726
localization≠censorship
>>
File: lewd (1).png (224 KB, 550x700) Image search: [Google]
lewd (1).png
224 KB, 550x700
>>332701823
>Her body seems to be comprised of about 95% spunk.
>>
>>332702383
What do you think even started this whole thing?
>>
>>332702383
You can call everybody a bullshitter as much as you want, it won't change fact.

Honestly, I'm proud that Blizzard were stupid enough to remove this pose based on my shitposting.
>>
>>332700726
>>
>>332702531
I don't doubt that was the post, I just doubt that you made it.
>>
>>332702536
that file name hurts
>>
>>332700726
Because it was actually good in the first game, and people were too used to the old ways for the second game onward. Weird incongruities aside, the name changes and setting change to accommodate them were great ideas; their mistake was just not establishing it as a strange LA-Japan mash-up from the get-go so that you can have English names and Japanese elements coexist. There was also no reason to change ramen to burgers, even if it was only LA-based, and that bit them in the ass in 4.
>>
>>332700726
I don't think they censored anything in PW, they just arbitrarily changed the setting which lead to confusing moments like why Los Angelos has an toku studio and an extremely popular show called steel samurai
>>
File: 1360636816753.jpg (13 KB, 178x134) Image search: [Google]
1360636816753.jpg
13 KB, 178x134
>>332702374
>>
File: v.jpg (4 KB, 118x113) Image search: [Google]
v.jpg
4 KB, 118x113
>>332702740
>Because it was actually good in the first game
>>
I still remember being really confused when they confirmed the game was set in the United States. It made the ending of the second case of Trials and Tribulations so confusing (it's the one about Pearls evil mother, and the incompetent nurse).
>>
>>332703054
Fuck, I meant Justice for All.
>>
It's a bit annoying that this comic caused so many people to retroactively state AA's localization was bad.
>>
>>332700726
Changing the name of the setting=censorship how exactly?
>>
>>332702374
>Then you would know that /v/ hasn't existed for 8 years,
It's 2016 you dumbfuck. 8 years ago would be in 2008, and /v/ definitely existed in 2008 you tryhard newfag.
>>
>>332702954
>why Los Angelos has an toku studio and an extremely popular show called steel samurai
I thought it was always meant to play as Americans creating a home-grown rip-off of sentai shows.

>>332703053
I mean, it largely was. The only major thing you can't explain away in the first game is how Japanese immigrants settled into the LA area while remaining largely unchanged. There's nothing else that's Japanese-specific, especially given the time 1 came out in with anime and Japanese culture imports everywhere.
>>
>>332703248
It's a bit annoying that anyone had low enough standards to ever think it wasn't.
>>
that's because there wasn't a /v/
>>
>>332703471
I just assumed everyone almost everyone in the game was racially Japanese but third generation or more.
>>
>>332703573
Not disagreeing, but what are your problems with it?
>>
>>332703419
> Not a newfag.
> Taking bait like one.

Ohhh booooy.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.