[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>playing RPG >everyone's role is static with zero
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: FFIX_characters.png (209 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
FFIX_characters.png
209 KB, 400x300
>playing RPG
>everyone's role is static with zero customisation
It was forgivable during the NES/SNES era but explain this. Does it even have a cast of characters and a plot as charming as IV?
>>
>>332639250
IX > V > VI > IV > VII > the rest
>>
>>332639250
It's supposed to be more like chess instead of checkers you fucking idiot. in the games where you can customize your characters you just end up making them all the fucking same because there's usually 1 OP max DPS set up, especially post-game.
>>
>>332639250
The original four characters have a great dynamic but everyone introduced afterwards is terrible or simply doesn't do anything after one area, Freya and Amarant being the worst offenders.
The plots fine for the most part but kinda loses track of itself for a while in disc 3. The game was largely a tribute to every previous FF game so a bunch of plot devices and twists only exist because the other games do it.

It's a great introductory game to Final Fantasy because it kind of encapsulates everything the series is known for into one easy to digest game, and familiarizes you with both the 2D and 3D styles of the series, but for a veteran of the series it doesn't really have much new to offer besides a kickass OST and some fanservice.
>>
>>332639250
>playing a JRPG
>everyone's role is static with zero customisation
ftfy
>>
>>332639250

IX is basically the "purest" final fantasy game, but the gameplay suffers as a result.

The world, story, characters and everything not related to gameplay are fantastic, but the gameplay elements are very weak

>Little character customization
>Frustrating trance system
>Over reliance on stealing
>Because of the stilted character building, almost everyone's party consisted of Zidane/Vivi/Steiner/Dagger-Garnet

>>332639558
That's true, but it also has the reverse effect of creating a max OP party setup, which almost always excludes Amarant Freya and Quina, except for extremely niche circumstances.

I used to consider IX my favorite PSX era FF game, but after replaying them in recent years, I find myself more fond of VII's gameplay systems.

VII>>IX>VIII
>>
>>332639250
>zero customisation
You can build them in different way. It's all about the skills you teach them.
Quina in itself is completely open about how you wanna build it.
>>
>>332639250
>zero customization
>FFIX
>>
File: FinalFantasySystems3.png (44 KB, 1688x264) Image search: [Google]
FinalFantasySystems3.png
44 KB, 1688x264
>>332639250
>with zero customisation
There's customization in FF9 though.
>>
>>332639250
but it did have customization you silly goose, you had abilities and weapons that would teach those abilities you silly sanders.
>>
>>332639782
>but everyone introduced afterwards is terrible
I think Eiko was pretty good.

Quina and Amarant are the worst imo, but they serve their small purposes.
Freya is nice between lindblum and cleyra. Maybe temporary characters like FF2, and FF4 would've suited the game better in story.
>>
I have a feeling ops thread isn't going the way he wants it.
>>
>>332640352
Either that or he just wanted to have a final fantasy thread.
Sort of a tradition to start FF threads with bait.
>>
>>332640324
Quina is actually powerful with magic hammer and and good ol frog drop and one other frog move..
>>
>>332640424
Its a tradition on /v/ to start threads with bait
>>
>>332640440
>Quina is actually powerful with magic hammer and and good ol frog drop and one other frog move..
Oh I don't mean gameplay, I meant in terms of story.
>>
>>332640424
this is true, like those adventure threads we have where it's tradition to punch self in face
>>
>>332639250
そうだね
>>
File: 1458557001218.jpg (43 KB, 387x420) Image search: [Google]
1458557001218.jpg
43 KB, 387x420
>>332640324
>Quina and Amarant are the worst
Quina is quite literally the strongest party member in the game. And Amarant can easily deal high damage with his throw ability while also having high survivability thanks to his Monk skills.
>>
>>332640512
oh yeah
taught me that if you make dinner always make more than expected. maybe they want seconds, maybe more people show up, maybe have some for left overs
>>
>>332639250
oh yeah it has a classic story element but with new shit thrown in. Characters are fun and you get to see each of them act around towns. it's all fun
>>
>>332640639
Ah right that scene was nice.
He would've been hard to replace there. Helps build Eiko up.

Kind of how I feel about Amarant though, he helps to define Zidane so I accept he's there, but himself as a character is on the low end.
>>
>>332639250
It's better than having everyone play the exact same like in VII and VIII.
>>
>>332640835
him I can't convey other than what he learned about strength in friendship bullshit in the upside down castle, while everyone said leave him zidane is like, naw , just naw.
>>
>>332639558
This. I don't like games where you can completely change what a character is.
>>
>>332641029
well in the end of 9 I just made zidane and stiener dps had Vivi stand there and garnet heal, wasn't to much of a thing, but that was the final boss, previous monsters with all their fucking different abilities made the fight take longer.
>>
>>332641189
Grand Cross
Neutron Ring
>>
>>332641189
Why would you even use a healer in IX
>>
>>332639923
VII is the fucking easiest by a mile and the materia system never even needs exploited because of what a joke the game is.
>>
>>332643119
felt old fashion
>>
>>332639250
IV = VI = VII = VIII > the other ones
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.