[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else unironically thinks the MW2 storyline was fucking great?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
File: Modern_Warfare_2_cover.png (211 KB, 312x385) Image search: [Google]
Modern_Warfare_2_cover.png
211 KB, 312x385
Who else unironically thinks the MW2 storyline was fucking great?

> The massacre at the airport
> Fighting your way through American suburbs
> Seeing Washington in flames
> Set to an amazing soundtrack
>>
I've never understood any of the stories of those games.
>>
The story didn't make a lot of sense but the campaign as a whole was very well-paced and varied
>>
I like how Infinity Ward creates this super lucrative IP called Call of Duty and then Activision just rapes the shit out of the development house and fires them that was great.
>>
Can't fix the shit gameplay.
>>
It was okay. At this point though I feel like they were just bombing everything, it had none of the impact of 1 where you walked through the devastated area and saw the toll it took, in 2 every area was pre-devastated and you were just shooting towelheads while bombs were going off every other segment.

It was okay, but following MW1 and WaW, it didn't live up to them
>>
>>332628620
2 was set predominately in American suburbs and cities, hardly just shooting at towelheads in a pile of rubble

But I will agree the invasion of the Middle Eastern country in 1 was pretty great
>>
MW2 and Homefront has the best FPS campaigns of all time because of one thing:

American suburbs. Shit is so fucking comfy.
>>
>>332628473
I enjoyed the WaW, Black ops and MW1 campaigns more. BO 3 is on level with this though
>>
Burget Town and Washington D.C are the best missions in the whole Call of Duty franchise.
>>
>>332628768
>comfy

Upvoted for dank meme that brings back comfy memories.
>>
>>332628473
RAMIREZ GET THAT _____________
>>
>>332628473
Those are setpieces, op. That's not what a story is.
>>
>>332628571
What didn't make sense?
>>
>>332628515
They're not really hard to grasp. what you see is what you get. but i found the modern warfare 1 and 2 campaigns entertaining.
>>
>>332628768
>comfy
are you literally 12?
>>
>>332628473
Nope.
I think it was a good game both, SP and MP wise, but the story really wasn't anything mind blowing. Cool backdrops, sure, but I wasn't engaded or invested in what was happening.

And 4therecord, I don't think the story's problem was that it would have been preposterous, which seems to be most people's complaint, but that it was poorly paced, rushed through, lacked quiet time and transitions, and had huge gaps betwen events.
>>
>>332629723
Why did the grunt not shoot makarov if his job was to kill him. Or alert the authorities an airport would be attacked. Why was Shepard evil aside from the need for a villain? Why did he kill the elite team? If they had an entire battalion on hand in the AO why didn't they just use that in the first place. How did the Russians invade the US. How did the Russians get air superiority? How did Price launch a nuke. Why didn't the nuke actually create a nuclear explosion destroying Washington DC? How did he time it perfectly? Why wasn't the launch detected and retaliated on causing MAD to go into effect destroying the world? How does Price survive daily beatings and malnourishment for 7 years but still retain combat effectiveness? How do two guys fight through an entire army fall off a waterfall pull a knife out of their chest kill the big bad survive and escape.
Tell me about the part of MW2 that makes sense. Aside from the first mission everything else is just ridiculously over the top and nonsensical.
>>
>>332628473
The storyline was nonsensical twat, it was a fun romp that couldn't even justify itself
>>
>>332628473
Only cod game I've ever beaten on veteran. Way too ez.
>>
MW2 was garbage and birth of the most cancerous repetitive multiplayer game. Singleplayer wasn't any different. I liked some ranger missions and LOVED the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUFN7hflZPE still the best COD trailer to date) but other than than it was pretty lame.

I can understand that you like it if this was your first COD, but it was pretty bad.
>>
Mw2 is still the best cod when you just wanna have some fun with friends.
>>
File: file.jpg (105 KB, 500x668) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
105 KB, 500x668
>>332632225
As somebody who invests way too much time in some absolutely horrible plots I can answer a few of those.
>why not shoot makarov or warn security.
The massacre was actually planned to take place. Pvt.Allan? was told his mission was to secure Makarovs trust. Shepard was fully aware that there is no way Makarov would not see past Allan's cover and had actually planned on Makarov leaving a dead American as a scape goat since he wanted world war 3.
>why was Shepard evil?
He was the general who was in charge of the 40 000 marines that got nuked in MW1. After all his men were dead the government did not take enough action in his opinion and he decided that the only way to make the world pay for the loss of his soldiers would be by making WW3.
>why kill the task force
He wanted to make sure nobody would be aware of his connection to the massacre in Moscow. The op had been off the books and only other taskforce members knew of it.
>why not use battalion
Probably they were busy doing something else.
>How was the Russian invasion so successful
Story wise the Russians had neutralized all American early warning systems. But to be honest that is such a load of bullshit that I'm surprised the guy in charge of the story was not fired.This is a completely valid point.
>how did Price fire a nuke
He lead the tasked force on an unauthorized op to capture a Russian sub. How he managed to actually launch the thing is beyond me.
>how did it not blow up Washington and how did he time it so well.
The nuke detonated in the upper atmosphere creating an EMP pulse that brought down Russian air support. How he timed it is probably some more plot shenanigans.
>why no MAD
I'm guessing that high command was confused by only one missile and wanted to see what the fuck was going on. That and the general confusion of the situation.
cont.
>>
>>332628582
that actually sounds a lot like the plot of a Modern Warfare game
>>
>>332628582
I also love how nobody gives IW their due credit, and acts like Treyarch invented the fucking series even though they'd be nothing without IW to copy from
>>
>>332628473
Daily reminder black ops 2 was the last truly good game in the series
>>
>>332628473
The only one to have good story was MW1. MW2 relied on shock factor but the story as a whole was really rushed and an invasion wouldn't be over in a matter of days.
>>
>>332635283
>how is Price still okay
He is a though mother fucker and he was only imprisoned for 3 years. We don't have any solid info on how he was actually treated during that time,but I guess it must not have been too bad.
>how they survived the end.
Heavy plot armor, but almost every game ever has this fault.
>>
>>332628936
BO3 has the best, most thought provoking story out of all the CoDs.
>>
I liked it, the shit with RAMIREZ was pretty fun
The Loose Ends mission was neat too
But MW1 was better, that's just a fact
Linear as it was, All Ghillied Up was one great mission.
That moment you get into pripyat, and the music cues.
And the mission when the nuke hits
>>
>>332635809
Roach went down pretty hard though
Did not expect that to happen after you barely survived a mortar strike, only the get shot in the chest
>>
>>332628473
>playing the story mode

every CoD after this had worse and worse maps, as if the devs were intentionally trying to make the most polished turds in the history of game mapping.
>>
>>332635983
uhhhh who was roach again? there was soap... and price... gaz?
>>
I have a pretty legitimate sub-topic to bring up: why do you think everyone now hates call of duty? because it was so accessible to casuals? I feel like it was once a really enjoyable and consistent franchise up until maybe mw2, but the insane viral marketing towards its players (double xp doritos bags or w/e) and media saturation of "cod-type" games probably ruined it for everyone.
>>
>>332636179
The player character for almost all TF141 missions
>>
Never gave a fuck about MW and CoD in general but I commend IW and Treyarch for never compromising on the 60fps framerate.
>>
>>332635474
They had a better *consistent* track record.

IW shat the bed with the direction they took the moden warfare games. Then Shat the bed again with ghosts. CoD4 beginning to look like fluke.
>>
>>332636393
this is a really good point
>>
>>332630440
Not him but are you literally complaining about memes on /v/ you shitsucking autist i bet you listen to eminem
>>
>>332633039
the No Fighting In The War Room mission tripped me a few times on vet
>>
I didn't like the story as much as I liked the different locations. Like one minute you're climbing mountains in Kazakhstan, the other you're shooting up favelas in Brazil.
>>
>>332636842
yeah the globetrotting aspect made the player feel like more than just a "special ops top tier" ambiguous hero and more of a "holy shit, do these guys really do this? COOL" kind of protagonist. it was an interactive action movie.
>>
>>332636235
I think MW3 really started it's downfall. A lot of people still saw it as an epic FPS but the more keen players saw the reused assets, the cheap emotional pulls and the stale gameplay for what it was.

It's only in the past 2 or 3 iterations that the majority really caught up and I couldn't tell you why because I stopped following it after MW2 and was more of a MoH fan myself.
>>
It was awsome.
But black ops 1 was better.
Fuck off World At War nostalgia fags.
>>
File: 1453647102030s.jpg (3 KB, 107x125) Image search: [Google]
1453647102030s.jpg
3 KB, 107x125
>russian gunmen start massacre at russian airport
>they don't speak russian while doing it
>world is fooled into starting WW3
It was great, but the writing wasn't BF3.
>>
File: 1450953692772.jpg (16 KB, 200x186) Image search: [Google]
1450953692772.jpg
16 KB, 200x186
>>332628473
>the favela part on hardest difficulty
>>
File: file.png (2 MB, 1177x953) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 1177x953
>>332637342
Russian gunmen with american weapons and an american soldier. But I have to admit the Russians did kind of over react.
>>
>>332637342
>2 of the other attackers are killed by FEB
>are Russians
>1 American and 2 Russians
>>
>>332637182
I agree. mw3 felt sour to me for some reason, and pretty hollow. I own it and mean to replay it, but am currently replaying mw1 campaign. I'll have to pick up mw2 and finish that, then complete mw3 again to really feel the differences.
>>
>>332628473
actually this game has the worst storyline in the whole series, and possibly FPS in general. nuclear powers don't start wars with other nuclear powers. and if they actually did want to start a war with each other, they would do it with nukes. not a fucking terrorist attack on an airport. worst story ever. the devs just wanted an excuse to put that edgy level in their game. at that point i think they were trying to get fired so they could leave to make Titanfall.
>>
>>332639147
>the devs just wanted an excuse to have combat on US homeland and the result was worth the suspension of disbelief
fixed
>>
>>332638808
There really aren't many differences. Wall street stock exchange is the Afghan TV station in MW1. The mining tunnels are just the Afghan caves of MW2. Berlin is just the American suburbs and Africa uses Brazilian assets.

There are probably a load more but those those are the ones I instantly recognised on first playthrough.
>>
>>332639880
those were the easiest and the shortest missions in the whole game, it wasn't worth it. Terminal is a good map but i would have rather had a story even remotely made sense.
>>
>>332639147
The Russian government had an extremist party that was basically The Communist Party 2: Electric Bogaloo with a bit more nationalism in power. They pushed for nuclear war ,but the president did not allow that ,but due to immense pressure did allow regular war.
And Shepard was a rouge general who wanted to engineer a great patriotic war, due to which he had to make Russia attack the USA and not the other way around.
>>
>>332637182
We joke about idiots buying the same game every year, and while those people undoubtedly exist, I've always had this feeling that a lot of CoD player stay on the ride for just two, maybe three installments before becoming disillusioned and dumping it. It's just that up until around MW3 there were so many new players entering "the cycle" every year that the overall sales kept rising.
>>
>>332640504
if a game is based on reality then it must have a logical storyline. it doesn't matter how the devs tried to explain away this plothole larger than the sun, if the US attacked Russia or vice versa there would be ICBMs in the air within minutes.
>>
>>332640625
I'd think the sales for MW3 were so high because people wanted to see the how the story ends at the very least.

That's why I bought it, pre-owned, years later.
>>
>>332628473
>storyline

Nah.

>set-pieces

Damn good. The pitchblack rainy Washington is probably the last time I went "woah" in response to graphics in a game.
>>
File: file.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1414
>>332640690
No that is highly unlikely. Both sides are aware that the first to launch nukes is just the last one to lose. Nukes really only come to play when a side knows its going to lose anyways and nukes are their last option of turning the tide or at the very least getting a tie. Despite what you may think of your leaders nobody considers a nuclear strike ,big enough to take out the enemy ,as a viable reaction to being attacked by regular forces.
>>
Tom Clancy's underwear stains spell out a better story line than MW2.

Not that there's anything wrong with a big, dumb action movie.
>>
>>332628473
No it's pants on head retarded because none of those things would actually happen the way they did
>>
Anyone else like how well orchestrated Hanz Zimmer's OST for this game was?

MW2 Multiplayer theme will be forever in my head.
>>
>>332642014
yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDd1X1cENAI
>>
>In America
>Have to capture burger place
You can't make this shit up
>>
>>332642768
They did though. Games aren't real.
>>
>>332628473
It was fucking retarded, nothing else.
>>
>>332643235
How do you know there not the memories of an AI from the future?
>>
>>332643752
Because it wasn't Black Ops 3
>>
Wasnt a massive fan of the storyline of mw3 but mw3 survival mode has been my go to game for years.

32 maps and im top 5 in about 25, with a couple unofficial world records. Cant play some levels as they crash after a while.

I must have spent 2-3 months playing it
>>
>>332628961
>>332630440
you faggots are the worse

the "no i fit in no im from reddit, see how anal i am over everything" cunts
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.