[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just want to go back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11
File: 1459083136597.png (77 KB, 508x929) Image search: [Google]
1459083136597.png
77 KB, 508x929
I just want to go back
>>
You know I used to think stats like this were meaningful, then I started playing Daggerfall. More shit doesn't mean better. Those numbers have to be backed legitimately. Things like number of diseases and number of join able factions doesn't mean shit.

That being said, Morrowind is the best of the modern TES games.

Morrowind > Skyrim > Arena > Daggerfall > Oblivion
>>
>>332610995
C'mon, Oblivion wasn't THAT bad; at least tie it with daggerfell.
>>
File: 1435880528720.jpg (100 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1435880528720.jpg
100 KB, 1280x720
Nothing is stopping you not-playing Skyrim and just playing Oldbivion and Morrold.
>>
>>332610348
What city in skyrim has 90 Fucking people in it?
>>
File: 1346425132765.png (90 KB, 1013x1355) Image search: [Google]
1346425132765.png
90 KB, 1013x1355
>>332610348

Then reinstall it. Nothing is stopping you.

Morrowind has aged like fuck. While the setting and enviroment is good the gameplay is absolute ass.
>>
I've never played morrowind. Is it good to play in this day or has it aged badly?
>>
>>332612419
This.

I dont even think there's that many people in the game, not counting randomly generated npc's.

That being said,

I prefer Morrowind. I'm playing through it again now, and to be honest it's a lot less linear feeling than Skyrim and Oblivion.
Right off the boat, and out of the Excise office and you're just left with a package and some directions to go see some shirtless dude in this place called "Balmora".
You don't have a fucking dragon there to fuck your shit up, you don't see the fucking emperor murdered right in front of your eyes.
You just wake up in a boat, get off, and let loose.
You can argue that Skyrim and Oblivion are like this, but I think Morrowind captures a feeling of wanderlust a bit better. Oblivion comes pretty close though.

I think it's also easier to make your character be who you want it to be, and not turn out to be a generic jack of all trades type of guy like in Skyrim.
I'm playing an Orcish monk who uses paralyze spells and fucks up his victims with hand to hand combat. More or less, because of the way the game works, you're locked into it. I like that aspect of it. Because orcs are shit at magic, I spent 3 days trying to brute force a locked door with an open spell.
I guess what I'm trying to say is it's easier to get into a character you're playing as when it's not going to end up the same as everyone else's at the end of the game like in Skyrim.

I'm having fun at least, and I guess that matters more.
>>
>>332613225

Worth playing for the setting. Story is shit, but there's a lot of hidden lore stuff in it that would make any DaS fan blush.

Gameplay is crap and has aged like milk, and I have problably several hundred hours into the game when it was released.
>>
>>332610348
Is TES6 going to be as casual as Fallout 4?
>>
>>332612296
>want new game that isn't horribly simplified shit
>"just play the old games"
>>
>>332613391
The story is good, anon.

Mostly because it ties in seamlessly to the lore.
>>
>>332610995
They kind of do. DF factions could be classified more by the type of organization than the name. Morrowind's factions were legitimately unique with their own extensive questlines.
>>
>>332613391
>Story is shit
>An outlander mantling an old hero who was slain by triumvirate gods, ALMSIVI, in order to combat an old friend whose soul denies reality as he dismantles concepts of necromancy and the Dream Sleeve, being known as, The Inversion, and taking the name of the mountain, Dagoth Ur, while he devises a solipsistic plan to conquer Mundus using the heart of Lorkhan, the manifestation of an Aedra, one of the divines, who gave up infinite chaotic power for finite ordered power in creating Nirn.
>shit
Ur shit m8 ill fite u I sware on me mum
>>
>>332613650
>>332614114

>you're the chosen one
>villain wants to destroy the world

Yes, the story in Morrowind is shit.

The lore and background around it however is great.
>>
>>332610348

one thing I really liked about Morrowind was that after a certain point (I think after dwarven), all unenchanted weapons hit Ghosts/Daedra, not just Silver/Daedric. don't know why they changed that in later games.
>>
>>332613225
It hasn't really aged so much as it's just different. MW combat is about as serviceable as Skyrim combat (arguably moreso thanks to the relative mechanical depth of it) once you understand it. Secondary features like crafting are far more interesting than Skyrim's, especially if you ignore the exploits. The world is small and you move slow, but mods alleviate both of those issues tremendously well. The world itself is much more lovingly crafted and feels incredibly real despite the simple AI. The game's a real labor of love and remains incredibly enjoyable despite its flaws.
>>
>>332614301
>Just because it's simple means it's shit.
When you simplify it that much there's very few original stories out there.

But the lore and background are what makes it more than a simple trope.
>>
>>332614307
It's not even the case in Skyrim anymore. The ghosts in the game are just NPCs you can swing an iron sword at. Silver weapons are just some Silverhand shit that only actually affects werewolves and select undead, making them useless.
>>
>>332614301
>I didn't understand the story at all
You literally have to trick the universe itself into thinking you're the Chosen One. If anything, you're the exact opposite - some nobody with a shitty childhood who manages to cosmologically paint themselves as the reincarnation of a legendary hero through sheer grit and determination.
>>
>>332614301
>you're the chosen one
No you are no, hell it's the EXACT opposite.

>villain
Dagoth ur did nothing wrong.
>>
>>332614568
That's what Dagoth Ur thinks.

If you're actually destined to be the Nerevarine is ambiguous. But the emperor seems to think so and he's pretty good at chosen one detecting.
>>
>>332614301
>you're the chosen one
You mean
>an unknowable neutral chaotic entity, a Daedra known as Azura, one of the hosts of the interstitial Oblivion outside the "reality" of Nirn, tricks a prisoner of uncertain history into becoming as a hero, and in the belief of this farce succeeds in a kind of magic or arcane causality known as mantling, which produces a dualistic reincarnation/created hero entity which the player controls
>you are only the chosen one if you play one

You mean
>a soul manages to enter an impossible state upon "death" from which the nature of existence is deconstructed through the lens of life and death, sleeping and waking, Mundus and the Dream Sleeve, elucidating to him the loose fabric of "reality" which he bends and pulls to orchestrate a restructuring of the Godhead's dream into that of only his solipsim
>villain doesn't want to destroy the world, but become the world
>>
File: 721.jpg (141 KB, 1700x1377) Image search: [Google]
721.jpg
141 KB, 1700x1377
>>332610995
>Arena > Daggerfall
>>
>>332615238
>But the emperor seems to think so and he's pretty good at chosen one detecting.
IIRC, you're something like the third potential Nerevarine he's sent to the region.
>>
File: 1458173552279.jpg (22 KB, 272x285) Image search: [Google]
1458173552279.jpg
22 KB, 272x285
>>332615557
>Daggerfall > Arena
>>
>>332615664
One out of three isn't too bad as far as Messiah pretenders go.
>>
Someone please talk more about Dagoth Ur.

He seemed like the only sane person in the game.
If he had gotten his hands on Kagrenac's tools, would potentially the same thing that happened to the dwarves happen to the people of Morrowind?

If I remember right, the Dwarves became some kind of skin for something. and just vaporized into a different plane of existence.
>>
>>332615930
>the Dwarves became some kind of skin for something. and just vaporized into a different plane of existence.
It's theorized Kagrenac fucked up when trying to turn the Numidium into an actual God and sacrificed his entire race in the process, the Dwemer serving as the Numidium's skin.
>>
>>332616351
Thats what I had thought, I wasn't sure if it was Numidium or one of the moons or something.

So are they all dead in a sense? Or is it some weird metaphysical state they're in?
>>
File: 589.jpg (296 KB, 1000x1066) Image search: [Google]
589.jpg
296 KB, 1000x1066
>>332615756
So, did you never play only Arena, or both of them?
>>
>>332616510
No one knows, but they probably aren't living per se anymore.
>>
File: 1420822928929.jpg (169 KB, 420x630) Image search: [Google]
1420822928929.jpg
169 KB, 420x630
>>332616530
Finished Arena for the first time last Sunday. Started Daggerfall for the first time that same day.

Daggerfall is wide and shallow, with the application of gameplay mechanics being primarily in awful, droning, 3d maze-like dungeons. Arena may be technically worse in theory, but in practice is a more enjoyable and tailored experience. Basically it comes down to Arena's 2d dungeons being navigable and fun to explore while Daggerfall's winding, claustrophobic, unmarked halls are not. Other points I could make too but I'm mobile.
>>
I'm just playing Oblivion for the first time. I only grabbed like 3 strictly gameplay-related mods and it's already better than anything I ever did with Skyrim in 100 hours of trying.
>>
File: 1342574919895.jpg (224 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
1342574919895.jpg
224 KB, 1600x1063
>>332617430
I didn't read any of that bullshit
>>
>>332617763
As somebody who updated a whole bunch of mods for a CoC-lite playthrough of Skyrim recently, that's kinda how I feel. Not only the game likes to choke like a bitch in exteriors and makes shit frustrating, but it's all shit I've done before with no real other ways to spice it up than lewd mods.
>>
So what happens if the Godhead becomes aware of the dream? Or is it aware?

Is the Godhead really anything all that special in the first place? Or is it chalked up to just happening in some random dude's head like a mini universe?
>>
File: Stealth Archers.jpg (298 KB, 515x2048) Image search: [Google]
Stealth Archers.jpg
298 KB, 515x2048
>>332613458
Hopefully not, but very unlikely it won't just be the most watered down piece of garbage. My only hope is that they don't have a voiced protagonist, that would be the end of Bethesda if Skyrim wasn't already.
>>
>>332618307
I think Bethesda might just learn their lesson on voiced protagonists if nothing else. I mean I've literally never met or heard about anyone that liked it.

They learned their lesson on horse armor so we can at least hope.
>>
>>332617763
Oblivion had its issues, but I'll always have a strong fondness for it.
>>
>>332615549
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>332613290
I kind of enjoyed Oblivion just for how things went.
>"The emperor's dead, this is an emergency! FIND JAUFFRE!"
>leave imperial city
>welp fuck that guy i'm going this way
>HELP, SLAUGHTERFISH
>try, get bored, carry on walking
>10 years of walking, stealing, assassinating and general adventuring later
>still haven't found Jauffre
>>
>>332618307
>Thalmor
>Not Altmer
Gets me everytime.
>>
File: Bloomers on head retarded.jpg (206 KB, 647x800) Image search: [Google]
Bloomers on head retarded.jpg
206 KB, 647x800
>>332610348
Perks >>>>>> Numbers that means almost nothing
Lesser, compact skill system >>> System with shitty skills. Who the fuck uses mysticism, anyway?
More epic spell effects >> Copy pasted effects
Not having to go at an altar every five minutes > Going to an altar every five minutes
Having a good combination of spells in vanilla > Having to make your own spells because the vanilla spells sucks dick
More compact city > Bloated navigation nightmare
You are a goddamn half dragon god >> Needs special stuff to kill gosts
Less weapon types > Bloated number of weapon types, who the fuck use shurikens, spears and unarmed
Tight armor count >> Balance nightmare that can break the game at level 10
Less filler factions > Filler factions up the ass, who the fuck completed the houses quests, Tribunal Temple and Imperial Temple quests etc
>>
>>332619128
Same here except I found Jauffre, but didn't go to Kvatch for the longest time.
>>
>>332619314
"Options confuse me, please take them away"

-modern gamer
>>
>>332617430
I agree with what you said (except the dungeons being hard to navigate, it just takes a bit to get used to the third dimension and how to use the map efficiently), but those are literally the only good things in Arena. In everything else Daggerfall is infinitely superior.
>>
File: morrowind-art.jpg (2 MB, 2622x1080) Image search: [Google]
morrowind-art.jpg
2 MB, 2622x1080
>>332610995
Well, the quantity of things such as spells, enchantments, armor types, weapon types, attributes, ect means you can create a much more specific and unique player build as >>332613290 said. Attributes rather than perks means you can make any skill better through grinding, rather than needing to invest precious perk points into various skills, making you underdeveloped in all areas.

Also, there's actual consequence for things like joining different factions, rather than Skyrim's "kill this bad guy and become arch-guildmaster of everything in four quests"

>>332613062
Morrowind intentionally keeps the tabletop-RPG feel of Arena and Daggerfall. I think the dice roll combat system, being part of this, makes the game more interesting than Skyrim's "swing a sword until they're dead" or "light someone on fire until they're dead" way of doing things.

And when has SKyrim ever made you feel like what you're doing has gravity or actually matters in the world? You're an all powerful dragonborn right from the get-go, and the leveling system means you can defeat all enemies and find unique items even from the very beginning. Morrowind makes you feel accomplished by finding a rare sword, or defeating a previously unbeatable enemy.
>>
>>332618307
>end of bethesda

do you even read what you write before posting it? aside from your personal qualms and moaning, bethesda and all involved made a ton of septims off of skyrim. it was a financial success and a genre defining example of open world. they have enough to fuel at least 1 major turd before the mainstream playerbase starts to bash them.
>>
>>332618307
>My only hope is that they don't have a voiced protagonist, that would be the end of Bethesda if Skyrim wasn't already.

>Skyrim sold 20+ million of copies
>Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies and made 750 million in the first week
Stay mad
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.