[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prime: Metroid Killer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12
File: 250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg (26 KB, 250x348) Image search: [Google]
250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg
26 KB, 250x348
While everyone is up in arms over how Other M treated both the character and the franchise, you misunderstood the importance of symptoms when compared to the end result and chose the wrong game to showcase. What needs to be said that strain that poisoned Metroid franchise can be found in an excellent detour that was Prime. What its perspective shift (a literal one that induced a mechanical shift) was over-reliance on lore: what was once just a hint now had to be explained in detail through typical American inability to comprehend subtlety. What was once a simplistic run, tag and gun-play now became more akin to Goldeneye with a visor.

It gradually poisoned the core elements of Metroid franchise, putting speedrunning, walljumping and level design aside to make room for ponderous head turns and much more "meaningful" exploration. Funnily enough, as Metroid was inspired in part by Ridley Scott's Alien, that is precisely how Scott himself ruined his franchise, trying to put lore in front of Giger's creations in Prometheus. And he still trudges on, oblivious. Other M was attempt to go back to roots of franchise - and they are always contained solely in gameplay mechanics - but it couldn't draw back from established philosophical and mechanical perspective shift. Its butchering of Samus as a character is just another byproduct of overreliance on lore established by Prime and its sequels.
>>
>>332551508
I disagree
>>
File: Prime2.png (27 KB, 639x276) Image search: [Google]
Prime2.png
27 KB, 639x276
Sakamato disagrees
>>
>>332552669
>some notes

That's a polite way to say "we wanted to move away from it".
>>
File: the-dude-opinions.jpg (245 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
the-dude-opinions.jpg
245 KB, 1280x1024
>>332552827
kay. Mr. Expert
>>
>>332552827
sounds like you didn't play shitty ol' Other M
>>
>>332551508
I always found Prime to be slow and mind-numbing. The combat is also pretty uninteresting.
>>
>>332551508
Lore is optional, you don't have to read any of it. You can hardly compare it to a movie like Prometheus.
>>
>>332553096
I played it up to the Ridley bossfight. I don't remember it as a catastrophic game by any means. In fact I think it has better gameplay than Prime. Best thing I can say about Prime is that maps look good when you see the outline on the image - like when you see the blueprint, and that some TECHNOLOGY stuff like visor and use of first person perspective is well thought out up to certain point.

>>332553324
It may be optional but it is there to disguise lack of exploration and vertical gameplay. Quake and Quake 2 are better Metroid games than Prime.
>>
>Prime killed Metroid
>even though a 2D game was released along side Prime 1 and 2 and were both really good and sold great
>then Other M the "traditional" title to pair along with Prime 3
>>
controversial opinions thread?

DmC could've been a bit better, never liked white hair bara Dante?
>>
Nah. Prime is the perfect translation of 2D exploration into 3D. It's way better.
>>
>>332553409
>It may be optional but it is there to disguise lack of exploration and vertical gameplay.
No it isn't
>>
It's pretty spot on. When you make Metroid into an FPS, you're basically taking away all of the platforming elements and replacing them with a weapon that isn't as satisfying as the range of guns found in your typical FPS.

Metroid should probably try to go the third person shooter route with a heavy emphasis on platforming. I don't know if it still has the brand power to really justify the kind of budget it would need to truly stand out, though.
>>
>>332553485
DmC was a catastrophically bad game that went against everything series was known for.
>>
>>332553691
I'm surprised there wasn't a classic Metroid game on the 3DS. Hell, 3D gimmick could work wonder for its puzzle elements, far better than first person ever did.
>>
>>332553704
>DmC was a catastrophically bad game
but that's wrong, especially when DMC2 exists

only reason people hate it because of black hair dante and the combat being oriented for newcomers to the series.
>>
>>332553813
>I'm surprised there wasn't a classic Metroid game on the 3DS
really? Nintendo clearly has no interest in making another 2D game

at least we had the Castleroids on DS, but now those are dead too
>>
>>332553952
Constant short cutscenes, one way bullshit + autosaving that doesn't let you explore missions properly, very few bosses all of which are heavily scripted instead of being fun and combat-oriented, levels full of forced platforming and the levels themselves are also heavily scripted. DmC is definitely a disaster.
>>
>>332551508
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/metroid-other-m/0/0

This one interview tells you everything you need to know about why Metroid is shit now, it has nothing to do with Prime.
>>
>>332553952
Even DMC2 tried more than DmC did. What people hate it for is simplistic gameplay and weapons tied to enemies. It takes a special kind of retard to completely disable a certain playstyle because you cannot kill an enemy with a weapon you like.

The whole game relied on poorly designed setpieces and gimmick bossfights.
>>
>>332553964
Kojima killed Castlevania

that fucker hasn't made a good game since MGS 3 and that was written by someone else and probably designed by Shinkawa

biggest fraud in vidya

we should have a daily thread about Kojimbo's fakery.
>>
>>332553691
>Metroid should probably try to go the third person shooter route with a heavy emphasis on platforming.
gross, like with ironsights and everything?

MP was a fun experiment, it didn't really need the sequels though. The world design was phenomenal, even if the levels themselves weren't too heavy on platforming. MP was never supposed to be Metroid gameplay with a Z axis.

Ninty getting creative with 3D iterations is why we got games like SM64 and OoT and MP.
>>
>>332554278
>levels full of forced platforming
funny, DmC is the only DMC game that had pretty good platforming segments in the series

the rest you've said are barrel-scraping non-problems
>>
>>332554639
People forget how bad of a game DMC 4 was despite god tier character mechanics and how shit its level design was, but DmC didn't have good anything. In fact Donte was one of its lesser problems.
>>
File: 1408129951878.jpg (86 KB, 490x799) Image search: [Google]
1408129951878.jpg
86 KB, 490x799
>>332551508
your grammar is fucking shit.
>>
File: ultracrepidarian.png (247 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
ultracrepidarian.png
247 KB, 500x750
Sakamoto ruined Metroid without any outside help. Fusion was being developed at the same time as Prime and Fusion displayed far more symptoms of the things that would eventually lead to Other M. Sakamoto has said time and time again that he doesn't do much with the Prime series because he's focused on the main series games.

This is a bad thread, OP. I hope you feel bad for making it.
>>
>>332555204
Examples?
>>
>>332555296
Fusion was a little cancerous, but it was still an amazing game.

Why won't Sakamoto just make a gorgeous 2D game on 3DS?
>>
File: Super_Mario_3D_World_box_art.jpg (206 KB, 250x353) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_3D_World_box_art.jpg
206 KB, 250x353
Galaxy killed 3D Mario from staying in the format of a "3D" Mario, while that it tried to be story-heavy 2.5D platformer full of useless planetoids and unneeded minigame-esque segments like pointing at the stars or pay up starbits to unlock an level area.

giant backstories should stay in RPGs such as Paper Mario, but we all know who was the real culprit of the sudden change to the spinoff series other than Miyamoto who was clearly giving some advice. (Kensuke Tanabe)

unlike Galaxy, 3D World did the job correctly. tried to be another traditional Mario but in the same time kept the spirit and appearance of an actual 3D Mario.

same for Sunshine, despite it's flaws compared to 64, it was still a pretty fun and experimental 3D Mario game.
>>
>>332555501
If I had guess, I'd say it's bother because Sakamoto works on multiple different franchises and simply doesn't have the time to always be making a Metroid, and Other M likely forced Nintendo to reassess the situation with Metroid. They were probably just planning on letting Sakamoto make more Metroid titles like it if it did well but since it was a huge trainwreck they had to step in and rethink the direction of the whole thing.
>>
>>332555423
>While everyone is up in arms over how Other M treated both the character and the franchise, you misunderstood the importance of symptoms when compared to the end result and chose the wrong game to showcase.

First sentence and you're already mixing verb tenses. "While" implies continuous past tense, but you move straight into present tense with "everybody is". Then you wrench us back to past tense in the second half of the sentence.

>What needs to be said that strain that poisoned Metroid franchise can be found in an excellent detour that was Prime.
I have no clue what you're even trying to say here. I feel like you deleted every second word.
>>
>>332553691
>Metroid should probably try to go the third person shooter route with a heavy emphasis on platforming.
too bad, you're never getting it

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/02/rumour_a_planned_25d_metroid_title_for_3ds_got_cancelled_in_2012
>>
>>332556189
other m sold more than any Prime game
>>
>>332556307
they probably would have just turned it into a halfassed Super Metroid remake
>>
>>332556218
Oh, thanks. I still think you can understand the second example.
>>
>>332556218
Sounds like OP wrote it out then when back and write it again without proofread.
>>
>>332556326
If you're going to fuck with people you could at least do so without saying things that are obviously and provably false.

I mean, it's not like I'd be a "master troll" if I said the sky was green.
>>
>>332556326
only thing Other M sold more than was Prime 2 (the same game that gotten an unfair and pretty early release when Prime 1 was still at awe)

Prime 3 sold nearly 2mil on the Wii, the first Prime nearly sold 3mil on GCN

and that took a pretty long time for it to sell on Wii, way before that it was seen struggling and Reggie had to come out and do some spokesman-ship to fans saying to give Other M a chance.
>>
>>332551508
I always found the Prime series to kind of boring and slow, and I hated to combat system and platforming in the game. What I did like about the Prime series was the atmosphere, exploration, music, isolation, and Samus's abilities. These made the game enjoyable to me, but when those elements are removed the games are just boring as hell.
>>
>>332557135
This is why they don't make games for core fans anymore

If they make a game for the fans and it turns out shit, its not going to sell
If they make a game for casuals and it turns out shit, they can still salvage it with marketing
>>
>>332553813
What pissed me off the most was that they released a classic Zelda, Mario, DK, Kirby, and Yoshi game on the 3DS but decided to release a Prime game that could've went to the Wii U instead. They made me believe that they were making a classic Metroid for the 3DS.
>>
>>332554479
>MP was a fun experiment, it didn't really need the sequels though.
This, I enjoyed it but it kind of lost me with the sequels.
>>
>>332557135
I'm not even sure about that, I thought Other M only did better than Hunters and Zero Mission, and the rest of the series was above it.
>>
>>332558174
it also outsold Kid Icarus: Uprising sadly
>>
>>332556189
If Sakamoto does comeback to Metroid chances are he will only be the Producer while some of the members of the old R&D1 team that made Fusion and Zero Mission will probably work on the game with a Japanese third party studio (similar to Zelda: Minish Cap and Star Fox: Zero).
>>
File: RyuchiNakada.png (107 KB, 784x222) Image search: [Google]
RyuchiNakada.png
107 KB, 784x222
>>332557859
you have a lot to learn about FF, m8.
>>
>>332556307
That got cancelled because Tanabe doesn't focus on 2D Metroid games. Next Level Games are under Tanabe so they can't make a 2D Metroid unless they were under Sakamoto.
>>
>>332558640
This would answer why we haven't seen a 2D Metroid game in a while. When R&D1 became SPD1 they lost a lot of people. But they can still get the remaining 2D Metroi team that stayed with Sakamoto to work with a japanese third party on a 2D game similar to Minish Cap.
>>
File: Castlevania-Symphony.jpg (390 KB, 1100x618) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania-Symphony.jpg
390 KB, 1100x618
>>332553487
I like prime but i don't agree that it was the perfect translation. I feel the souls series did a better job at the 3d exploration if you can see it as what an actual 2d castlevania: sotn might have looked like in 3d. prime gets a 3d metroid almost right, but i have no clue what it was missing. maybe it's just hindsight that clouding my judgment.
>>
>>332551508
0/10
>>
>>332553952
>but that's wrong, especially when DMC2 exists

finally someone gets it
>>
>>332551508
I like this copypasta
>>
>>332553409

>lack of exploration and vertical gameplay
>Quake and Quake 2 are better Metroid games than Prime.

Go home, you're drunk.
>>
The truth is Other M is literally Super Metroid with modern technologies and narrative.
This is a fact. And I liked it.
>>
>>332560369
IRL, under what Sakamoto said, Other M was another Fusion that tried to recapture the "Metroid Prime" feel

also, pretty terrible NGB gameplay.

Fun Fact: it was going to be a railshooter at first
>>
Reddit has fedora opinions
4chan has contrarian opinions
Sanity loses
>>
>>332560881
I noticed 4chan has a lot of retards dismissing anything going against the grain as contrarian
>>
>>332560881
>meanwhile at NeoGAF...
>>
>>332554457
Kojima had nothing to do with that castlevania, that was cox.
>>
>>332560881
>you know realized /v/ is pretty much a hugbox for people holding controversial yet unpopular contrarian vidya opinions w/ shitposters bodyguarding them
>>
>>332561329
he still was in charge of production
>>
File: Dobson Other M.png (243 KB, 475x325) Image search: [Google]
Dobson Other M.png
243 KB, 475x325
ITT: Andrew Dobson
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.