[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Stories involving your parents helping you play vidya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 13
File: 002.png (171 KB, 595x418) Image search: [Google]
002.png
171 KB, 595x418
ITT: Stories involving your parents helping you play vidya
>>
Got kicked out of preschool for punching a kid who made fun of my glasses, so had to stay with my grandmother while my mom was at work.

I was looking in the closet for a blanket (nap time) and I found her SNES. Asked her what it was and she smiled and next thing I know we were playing Super Mario World for the rest of the day. She was WAAAAAYYY better then me, kicked all the bosses' assessment no sweat, and would even skip her turns so I could catch up to her. First memory I have of playing vidya.

I miss her.... :'(
>>
>>332545958
*bosses ass
>>
my mom beat ghost and goblins (first route) but she says her favorite was qbert. shes says shes too dumb to play games nowadays
>>
I remember I would always race my dad on crash team racing, it was ALWAYS on that temple level and he would always beat me but I still had fun,
>>
File: notes.jpg (41 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
notes.jpg
41 KB, 1280x720
My mother always hated horror, but back when I first played SH1 she liked helping with the puzzle segments.
>>
File: Courage_panic.gif (693 KB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
Courage_panic.gif
693 KB, 500x391
>>332546064
*bosses' asses
>>
Just got the NES, inserted Punch Out, grab one controller mom grabs the other. Think we are playing against each other for about 15min before we figure it out. Later on remember playing co op Contra, dying on last stage and cheering on my mom while she beat the game. Love ya Mom, wouldn't be the socially retarded nerd I am today without you!
>>
My dad and I played a fuckton of Halo 3 and Reach back in the day.
>>
File: image.gif (954 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
954 KB, 320x240
My dad loves Mario Kart DD and 8. My most fond memory is actually when he would buy me new packs of Pokemon cards and he showed me how to play. He was fucking relentless
>mfw he fucking set up on me with his team Aqua Walrein
>>
My mother hates video games.
>>
>Playing some racing game, age 7
>driving a semi, get it stuck on a concrete divider
>mom comes over and I ask for help
>she gets it unstuck and cheers
>>
>>332544894
My mom and I used to like Tiny Toon Adventures so much that she got me the game as a present, and spent almost as much time playing it as I did.

Similar thing happened with my grandma and Mario when I got N64 for Christmas. At first the 3D confused her, but when she got used to it, she'd disappear for hours at a time. We'd find her in my room, controller in hand, tongue out in concentration.
>>
File: flyinwhale.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
flyinwhale.jpg
183 KB, 1920x1080
>Be like 8, trying to play crimson skies
>can't get close to this fuckhuge zeppelin
>dad offers to help, I accept
>sit on his lap, he flies and I works the guns and rockets
>take down zeppelin together
>celebrate with apple pie
>>
Dad taught me how to play NES Mario. Years later I tried to teach him Gears because he loved the execution moves but he just couldn't into twin-stick.
This seems to be a problem with a lot of older/younger people.
>>
>Dad lives apart from me and my younger bro because he split from our mums
>Buys an old xbox 360 from his mate
>Gets Gold and MW3
>Played against me and my bro online
>>
My dad would play Jungle Strike at 3am in the morning and reminisce about the Vietnam war.

Never played vidya with me though.
>>
>dad gets me into Diablo, Warcraft 2, Age of Empires, Sim City, Fallout 1 & 2, Warcraft 3, WoW, Half Life, Civ, Quake and others
>now only plays Call of Duty on Xbox and talks about how shitty and "too hard" those PC games were

the older you are the more casual you become
>>
My mom and I played through MGS 2 when it came out when I was like 10 or 11. She made me turn all the blood off plus I couldn't kill anyone. We were both laughing and really confused running around as naked raiden while the game was wigging out. I actually turned the system off when the colonel told me too
>>
When I was really young I was playing Pokemon gold for the first time, it was my only game, my parents helped me 3 times.

>I could never beat geodudes with my totidile because I would just mass through and pick scratch
>I complained about this to my mom and she asked if that was the only thing totidile could do and showed me how to use watergun
>>
>>332551612
Wrong, depends on the dad.

All mine plays nowadays is battlefield bad company 2 on PC, got him hooked on war thunder for a few months but went back to BC after he burned out on it.
>>
File: 519B4VKWEPL.jpg (59 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
519B4VKWEPL.jpg
59 KB, 354x500
>>332544894
>I'll never be 10 years old again, completing this splitscreen with my Dad
>>
>>332551764
> not learning my lesson because I was a stupid kid I still didnt read and didn't know how to catch Pokemon
>my dad read the instruction manual and caught a mareep for me
> I complained that it was weak because I was an ungrateful shit and he told me not to worry because he would teach it for me.
> he evolved it to a flaafy for me and helped me beat the gym.
>>
File: MGS2.png (781 KB, 800x2251) Image search: [Google]
MGS2.png
781 KB, 800x2251
>>332551728
As far as I can work out everyone was playing that scene at 2 am in the morning or as fucking tired for some reason

It's just at the exact point in the game where fatigue really kicks in
>>
I remember I was playing Fable on the original Xbox and for some reason it didn't save. I just got past the Guild, so my dad did it all over for me.

It's a shame he turned out to be a real selfish prick
>>
File: 1454848084528.jpg (135 KB, 1218x698) Image search: [Google]
1454848084528.jpg
135 KB, 1218x698
>>332549908
that is fucking sweet anon.
>>
My dad and i beat tmnt 3 in the nes it was a fucking blast and we play some mario kart 64 sometime it was fun and that was the last time we played vidya that was 18 years ago
>>
>>332552471
>It's a shame he turned out to be a real selfish prick

I wouldn't call Molyneux selfish.
>>
Being the youngest child both of my parents are too old to have ever given a fuck about vidya.
>>
When my Parents got me a gamecube my dad and I beat Super Mario Sunshine together.

Anytime I got a Shine sprite my dad would get a huge smile on his face and we'd both yell "Shine!"

;-;
>>
File: 1427593000699.gif (2 MB, 451x257) Image search: [Google]
1427593000699.gif
2 MB, 451x257
>>332544894
I have one of me helping my mother

She was asking what happened to video games. She played Super Mario World a bit but they just got complicated. She told me she wanted to try one. I popped in Kingdom Hearts.

She was really getting into it until the heartless came up. She was too spooked to fight them and told me she had enough.

Its funnier because my mom is super religious which is probably why the shadow people spooked her.
>>
>>332552969
did you guys ever fuck?
>>
>>332551612
Similar story here. My dad got me into playing all the games you mentioned, minus the FPSes and plus stuff like Baldur's Gate, Fantasy General and the Might & Magic games. Nowadays, he just plays fantasy browser strategy games - typically ones that have pay2win cash shops, but he would never consider putting money down for them, so he just grafts away and dicks other players over when he gets the chance. Every time I gift him a game on Steam he just seems to bounce off them - though he's incredibly hyped for Camelot Unchained, which is the only Kikestarter he's backed.

Anyway, on topic - I got stuck when I was 6 or so playing Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - couldn't figure out how to proceed in the fire town for the life of me. My dad grudgingly gave me a hand and figured out the way forward. He was never a fan of JRPGs.
>>
dad got me hard into Half Life, probably the reason I'm a PC gamer today.
>>
File: 1417995527003.jpg (64 KB, 260x285) Image search: [Google]
1417995527003.jpg
64 KB, 260x285
>My stepdad was younger than my mom and fresh out of college so he was still in his nerdy D&D phase, bought an NES while he was in the dorm and was a fucking legend at Punchout
>My earliest memories of when my mom first dated him was when he would help me with some of the hard jumps in Mega Man and would play player 1 in Mario so I could be Luigi (at the time my only siblings were older sisters at my dad's house who could give less of a shit about a six-year-old
>When he moved in he got a top of the line Packard Bell from his work and he put Doom on it, because of course you fucking did in the 90's
>Hooked up a gigantic sound system to the computer so when you fired the fucking shotgun even the neighbors knew, one time we even got the police called on us because of all the gunfire and screams and that was when he unhooked it
>Actually punched a motherfucker when he got my N64, because back in the day stores didn't have the glass cases and some asswipe tried to snatch it out of my mother's hand
>Used to play Mario Kart 64 and Banjo-Kazooie all day with me, bought me Jet Force Gemini because 'you get to explode space ants and there's blood, it's pretty cool"
>Then my first younger sister was born, she was full-blown actually retarded
>As if they wanted to try again they had another girl a year or so later
>I don't know if it was stress from the first girl or if you just turn into a jaded asshole when you get older but he just changed from a relatively young and hip dad into a genuine asshole who will pick a fight over nothing
>The most we have bonded or spoke to each other in years was a year or two after I moved out and he was genuinely surprised I had actually bought car manuals and learned how to fix my car myself

The only thing I can think of that he actually remembers the good old days we had with vidya is when the Bowser portrait in Mario 64 scared the shit out of me, and when amiibos came out he bought me the Bowser one like oh hey this is your favorite right?
>>
File: reg.jpg (13 KB, 534x432) Image search: [Google]
reg.jpg
13 KB, 534x432
>>332553314
>dad got me hard
>>
File: 1442926991336.png (100 KB, 251x238) Image search: [Google]
1442926991336.png
100 KB, 251x238
>>332553681
I thought the same thing but didn't wanna say.

Thanks for taking one for the team there anon you lewd bum-bottler
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.