[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the wii u fail?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 22
File: wii_u_iwata.jpg (240 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
wii_u_iwata.jpg
240 KB, 960x720
Why did the wii u fail?
>>
>>332489258
Didn't fail for me. Got a good 5000+ hours of entertainment which was more than I could have asked for.
>>
Poor marketing
>>
It's parroted a lot, but I think the name of it and initial marketing crippled the Wii U in the long run.

There's still a lot of normies who don't know what the Wii U is or get that it's not a Wii accessory.
>>
gay as fuck
>>
Retarded everything and no games, only the classical nintenshit
>>
>>332489258
Wasn't as powerful as the PS4 and Xbone.
>>
>>332489396

thats like saying the 3ds was an accessory to the ds
>>
File: 1458182267378.png (3 MB, 1656x2064) Image search: [Google]
1458182267378.png
3 MB, 1656x2064
"I don't need a remote play controller for my wii."
>>
>>332489258
because they called it the "Wii U" we were done with Wii and wanted to move on.Just imagine if the next console was called the GameCube n. everyone would hate on it 10 times more than people already hate the Wii U.(i like the Wii U)
>>
Sticking to PPC alienated 3rd parties that have long since moved on to AMD64.
>>
It literally did everything wrong
>>
>>332489383
>no wii would like to play commercials for the wiiu
>>
They went all-in on a gimmick that ended up being extraneous and cumbersome to use in a vast majority of games rather than enjoyable and efficient. Tropical Freeze straight up turns the screen off unless you're using off-TV functionality. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is adversely affected by the fact you can only look at the gamepad to properly play rather than the appreciate the crips HD graphics in front of you.

Mario Maker is the only other game I can think of that uses it extremely well, and even that could survive as a game without it though it would be worse.
>>
>>332489483
I still have normie friends at work who don't know the difference and I had to explain it to them.

Not sure how the 3DS wasn't a flop.
>>
>>332489813
>Wii would rike to pray... with U
>>
>>332489593

>Only because they named it wrong

This delusion
>>
>>332489258

The Wii U didn't fail, you fucking retard. Name a single fucking game on the Xbone of PS4 that are better than Splatoon
>>
>>332489258
People thought WiiU was just a Wii Slim and Nintendo was forever tainted by the gimmick that is the Wii.
>>
>>332490039
He means sales not quality.
>>
>>332489258
Shit central gimmick
>>
File: tried.png (9 KB, 206x200) Image search: [Google]
tried.png
9 KB, 206x200
>>332490039
>>
>>332490039
MGS V
>drops mic
>>
>>332490074
>that commercial where they have to spell out that Wii U is an "entirely new console."
>>
>>332490149

>an incomplete game is better than Splatoon

0/10
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSGEHEWBVYE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_XkKD50soQ
The naming, the pursue of an audience that already left the Wii for mobile and the lack of fanservice. Oh, and lack of 3rd party support.

>>332489865
It had games for one and 3rd party support.
>>
>>332490039

Bloodborne.
>>
>>332490258
Pretty much
>>
>>332489383

This. The name alone was a problem. Parents don't know or care about the differences between the Wii and WiiU. They just want the "Nintendo" console and Mario game for their kids. Given the two very similar looking options at the store, most parents pick the Wii.
>>
Nintendo's core library doesn't have the appeal many people think it does. That's the simple truth. I'm not even sure it would make a big difference if every Call of Duty, Madden, whatever else, was coming out on a Nintendo system.

They basically destroyed their ability to turn Metroid into a top-level AAA franchise. Zelda is slipping in that regard. I actually have my doubts about Mario's ability to big a blockbuster system seller at this -- even if the game was a 10/10.

The controllers don't really help their image, either, despite the fact that I personally understand where they are coming from and appreciate elements of their utility.
>>
>>332490326
BTFO
>>
>>332490258
Splatoon is incomplete unless you buy all of the physical DLC for it.
>>
>>332489865

>Not sure how the 3DS wasn't a flop.

Better gimmick. The DS had dual screens. The 3DS had 3D effects.

The Wii had motion controls. The WiiU had.....I don't know. I seriously don't know. A controller with a screen?
>>
File: 1458299107134.jpg (487 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1458299107134.jpg
487 KB, 1200x1600
Most people didn't understand there was a difference between the Wii and Wii U.
>>
>>332490513
>A controller with a screen

Fucking this.

Yeah I'd totally like to play one a two inch by two inch screen rather than my tv. Thanks Nintendo
>>
The casuals that made the Wii a success had moved on.
>>
File: 1453798301841.jpg (44 KB, 500x393) Image search: [Google]
1453798301841.jpg
44 KB, 500x393
I didn't have enough money to buy one...
>>
>>332489396
>There's still a lot of normies who don't know what the Wii U is or get that it's not a Wii accessory.
You're retarded if you believe this. Wii hasn't been popular in half a decade, so no one is going to mistake Wii U as an accessory for it.

Why not just admit Wii U failed because it wasn't what consumers wanted? You can still go on thinking it's a great system, and not have it contradict reality.
>>
>>332489258
Quality wise it kept the exclusives up much better than the other two.
But shit marketing, naming, and lack of 3rd parties was too strong a handicap.
>>
>>332490640

>play your game while someone else watches the TV!

They seem to think that people only have one TV in their homes. Or that tablets, smartphones, laptops and other mobile devices don't exist. If using the TV was an issue, I'd just a 3DS game until it was free.
>>
File: 1440219175355.jpg (11 KB, 212x139) Image search: [Google]
1440219175355.jpg
11 KB, 212x139
>>332489258
>no third party support
>literally no marketing
>shitty name that ties it with the Wii
>weakest hardware of this gen
>only a few good first party games

I fucking love Nintendo, but goddamn they really dropped the ball on this one. They should make the N64 2.
>>
>>332490846
I think it was both honestly, poor hardware and poor word of normie mouth.
>>
>>332490336
>Given the two very similar looking options at the store, most parents pick the Wii.
Wii sales were in the garbage by WiiU's release, so you're just spewing shit right now.
>>
>>332490846

>no one is going to mistake Wii U as an accessory for it

You would be surprised. A lot of older people do.
>>
File: 1459066773907.jpg (34 KB, 392x411) Image search: [Google]
1459066773907.jpg
34 KB, 392x411
>>332490258
yes
>>
>>332489258
No games.
The least amount of games even though its 1 year older compared to other console.

No other choice outside of the usual nintendo shovelware.
>>
>>332489258

It wasn't so much the console itself, but Nintendo's delusion in thinking it could replicate the success of the original Wii with it.

The Wii did so well because it captured the attention of non-gamers with its motion control gimmicks and casual appeal. Nintendo made the mistake of thinking they'd come back for round 2, misinterpreting a normie fad for genuine enthusiasm.

They butchered their entire business strategy to appeal to these plebs and now that all of those people have abandoned them in favor of the next hot normie trend, Nintendo is suffering the consequences.
>>
>>332490513
>The DS had dual screens.
>The WiiU had.....I don't know.
Dual screens, genius. It's the same concept, but on a console instead of a handheld, and the independence of the lower screen allowed for new ideas on top of DS-style ideas.

Nintendo's failure to explain this -- "it's like a DS/3DS, but with your TV as the upper screen" -- is another one of the several reasons the Wii U failed.
>>
The Wii U didn't fail. It just didn't live up to Nintendo's crazy expectations. They were expecting Wii numbers and got Gamecube sales. The Gamecube wasn't a failure.
>>
>>332491241
>They butchered their entire business strategy to appeal to these plebs
Couldn't agree more. A lot of gamers didn't really like the Wii when they picked on up. The motion controls made a lot of sense for FPS. I think they're a legitimate option there. But making the system so weak and not bundling in a regular controller meant shoehorning motion controls into every game and added cost with additional peripherals.

They could have really made a "Family Computer" with control schemes everyone could enjoy but they just went all in on total non-gamers and the Today Show crowd.
>>
>>332489396
>>332489593
>>332490074
>>332490264
>>332490336
>>332490935

Naming wasn't a problem for the Super Nintendo. Or the Nintendo 64. Or the Game Boy Advance. Or the Nintendo 3DS.

So why did the Wii U have an identity problem?
>>
>>332490923
Most people probably have their games consoles and TV/movie stuff on the same TV. You can also play the Wii U as a pseudo-portable system with no TV at all, which is exceptionally handy when the opportunity strikes. And if your toilet is in range, you don't have to put down the game to go take a shit.
>>
>>332489258
>called it the Wii U and only really advertised the controller rather than the system itself, leading to the casual market thinking that it was just another Wii peripheral
>heavily targetted the console to the casual market (basically trying to promote it as a Wii 2) when the casual market had obviously moved on to iOS/android and saw the Wii as nothing more than a fad
>had burned bridges with almost every publisher by only making a small amount of physical copies of 3rd party titles on the Wii to encourage people to buy 1st party titles
>had developed a reputation in the last generation as a casual only company, most people only see nintendos as side consoles rather than main competitors against MS, PC and Sony
>as a result only ubisoft and a handful of other publishers gave a fuck about developing for the Wii U, and even then to a small degree (and they no longer release anything for it)
>was first in the current generation of consoles by over a year, but was barely any more powerful than the PS3 or 360
>didn't use the extra year to put any games on the console, so once the PS4 and XBone released they all had roughly the same amount of games worth buying
>haven't properly supported it with 1st party titles even to this day, given that there's no Zelda, metroid, or main series Mario game (3D world doesn't count, it's just normal mario with an isometric camera)
>whenever there was a big IP with a new game (eg. smash bros, mario kart, hyrule warriors), it also had a 3DS version
>main gimmick of a controller on a screen is mostly pointless, best use for it is for someone to be able to use the TV whilst someone else plays Wii U in a world where more and more people own several TVs and TVs are being abandoned for watching netflix on tablets and laptops
>Nintendo confirmed that they are making a new console only a few of years after the console released
>>
>>332489258
>lack of third part support
>>
>>332491602
Because everyone liked the NES, DS and the Gameboy you mong.

The thing is, when normies or kids hear "Wii", they'll assume its directly related to and therefore going to be exactly like the disappointment that was the Wii.
>>
>>332491602

>Wii Fit
>Wii Music
>Wii Sports

When you name all your games and accessories after the console itself, what do you expect people to think a "Wii U" is? Especially when most commercials show the controller, but not the main console?
>>
Bad name. I keep seeing these threads. It's not hard to see that people assumed the wiiu was a wii controller attachment. Same way people originally thought the 3ds was a regular DS with 3D added.
>>
>>332489258
Poor reveal to start. I watched the E3 conference live and thought the gamepad was an add-on for the Wii.

Then there's the name. It wasn't like the SNES to the NES, it's name made it sound like it was an attachment to something grander.

The retail support was terrible. Amazon still has all the Wii U stuff under a "Wii" hyperlink so how will anyone not in the know actually know the difference?
>>
>>332489258
It didn't. It's sold over 12 millions units all at pure profit. IF you want to compaire it's sales numbers then next to ps4 but 12 million sales is hard to scoff at from a business point.

It's doing just fine. You just aren't being pandered to so you're upset.
>>
>>332490846
Tons of fucking people mistake the Wii U for a Wii accessory
>>
>>332491513
>The Gamecube wasn't a failure.
Nintendo's internal projections for Gamecube were ~50 million units. They didn't even get half of that. They spent 1 billion dollars on the CPU alone for Gamecube. It was a total failure from a company standpoint.
>>
>it's a nintenyearsold defense force thread
>>
File: 1456092961658.png (203 KB, 366x344) Image search: [Google]
1456092961658.png
203 KB, 366x344
lack of yoshida brothers

and games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7uJp25BlE
>>
I would say that the nonsensical success of the wii caused the company to greatly overestimate how much shit they could actually get away with.
>>
>>332491394
The thing is almost no one has ever even really made good use of the DS/3DS's second screen even now. Why did they even think it was worth trying to apply it to a console when it never had anything to do with either handheld's appeal?
>>
>>332492089
12 million for a home console is literally considered a commercial failure.
>>
>>332489258
The name threw me off initially but

for me personally

Consoles are just mediocre now. They're not pushing any boundaries that PC hasn't already passed. They get way less games than PC and often times you're forced into getting the console specific version of popular genre game. Which is identical to all the other games in the genre.

And to top it off, the games are rarely on sale at the same price as PC games.

So really I miss out on some stuff and I regret it, especially mario games which I feel like I don't get anywhere else. But missing out isn't worth the $200-300 bux for the console and then $60 for each game.

I may have just gotten older but I'd rather use the same PC I use for everything else including work to play games than get a specific console that will only last 5 years and have to pay top price for each game.

I really regret not being able to play /v/eekends and mario kart looks great. But not that great.
>>
nintendo launched it with nsmb and nintendo land. its like even nintendo couldn't be bothered with the wii u from the start. and the controller situation was confusing. The name didn't help either but that was the least of it's problems. main problem was the shit launch and bad advertising. and we still don't have zelda for it. fucking pathetic
>>
for example the console requires you to ue last gen peripherals if u want to play multiplayer. and some games need the pro controller too. plus u can only use 1 game pad. its just fucking weird
>>
AND if you're gonna call it wii u at least launch wih next gen wii sports. I mean what the fuck
>>
>>332492917
At lot of your points are kind of exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Especially with the 5 year upgrade and $60 games. PS4 games you can buy very cheap through various channels.

As far as this goes though
>They get way less games than PC
It really depends on what you like, I mean for ARPGS, arguably PS4 kills PC in that genre, even in platformers, Nintendo/Sony wipe the floor with PC titles like ''grow home''. PC dose excel at some genres but in my opinion you're missing out more by staying locked into PC but it really depends on what type of games you'd play.
>>
I JUST took a look at the list of upcoming games.

There's nothing besides a bunch of retro themed games. NOTHING. What the fuck is going on?
>>
>>332490513

>The DS had dual screens.
>The WiiU had dual screens

It was clearly a try to get both systems to be similar, since it worked for the handhelds before.

They should have done more multiplats like MH3U that take advantage of the similar setup.
>>
File: dr mario operation.gif (2 MB, 400x289) Image search: [Google]
dr mario operation.gif
2 MB, 400x289
They were blinded by the success of the Wii and tried too hard to recreate it, while simultaneously seeming completely unaware of why the Wii was a success in the first place.

They decided to give it a name confusingly similar to Wii and thought the brand recognition could carry it without excessive advertising. Both of those combined meant most casuals had no clue what the fuck the thing even was, because it sounds like a Wii attachment, there were no commercials, and all Nintendo talked about was the *awesome* controller.

The controller also happened to be an expensive gimmick that wasn't as intuitive as the Wii's. Everyone who laid eyes on the thing thought it was a monster and in true Nintendo fashion the gimmick was poorly utilized so no one really got a good reason to justify its existence. The only reason it was there was because "Wii had gimmicks so the new console has to have one, too".

In the end casuals fucked off because Nintendo didn't realize that casuals don't respond to anything that doesn't have round-the-clock marketing, while the core market fucked off because Nintendo stopped catering to them, and then 3rd parties fucked off because the thing wasn't selling and they didn't want to be anchored to a sinking ship.

Only reason 3DS did sort of okay was because of the greater lack of competition in the handheld scene.
>>
>>332493417

NX is already being worked on
>>
>>332493291
You might be right about ARPG's because I have no interest in them but

>Platformers
Traditionally console games at its finest but PC has had parity for the last 3+ years
>Strategy
Consoles can't touch that
>Indie
PC first, and yes you don't need to tell me there's a lot of garbage we all know that 99.9% of indie games are crap. But the ones that are good at still on PC and rarely ever ported
>FPS
parity with consoles, bonus for milsim/tactical which just doesn't exist

Basically what consoles have that I miss are mario games and sports games. Everything else is pretty much meh. Halo stopped being a thing worth getting 10 fucking years ago - and that summarizes consoles to me. This generation of kids growing up play the exact same shit as I did a decade ago, albeit it looks much better now.

Why bother?
>>
>>332491602
>super nintendo

Super means that it is upgraded

>gameboy advance

Advance means that it is upgraded

>3DS

3D was the craze at the time

>Wii U

what the fuck does that mean
>>
>>332493873

What if they named it Wii Ultimate?
>>
>Stupid controller that is bigger than the console
>I don't want to hold that brick
>It looks retarded
>I don't want to look at the controller to play the game
>The name WiiU is gayer than the original Wii
>Only games are for children and old people
>>
Nintendo had a huge stumble like Sony in 2006 and MS in 2014 ,but they seem much much slower to get back on their feet. NX launch year will be their last chance to turn things around.
>>
>>332494042
>What if they named it Wii Ultimate?

That sounds dumb but it would still be a huge improvement.
>>
Should have been released with a new Pilot Wings.
>>
>>332494135
>last chance
m8 nintendos fucking loaded with cash
>>
it's depressing how i'm looking at the list of games to emulate with CEMU and there are only 3 games I want to play:

Smash, Bayo 2, XBCX.

This is a pathetic console.
>>
>>332494230
You can't buy brand value and Nintendo has lost plenty of it when Sony got right back up on their feet and resumed dominating.
>>
>>332492174
Seriously.... This thread taught me that Wii u isn't a Wii add on
>>
>>332494230
I think he means in the eyes of the consumers anon.
>>
>>332494143
Wii fugmyshitupfam
>>
>>332489383
>>332490336
>Blaming it on the marketing

Maybe the Wii U is just a console that nobody wants, just like the Gamecube was.
>>
>>332490039
Bloodborne.

Easily better then your shitty fetish for kids faggot
>>
>>332494319
>You can't buy brand value
really because microsoft did it just through sheer force of cash with the Xbox, is doing it again now with the XB1, and PS3 went through it as well.

>>332494426
People buy whats good first, then whats shoved in front of their eyeballs the most second. They'll be fine.
>>
>>332489258
>Why did the wii u fail?

Because Nintendo tried to make the console Gamecube 2.0 (which wasn't a huge success) while at the same time trying to hang onto some casual elements from the Wii era.

In summary: they tried to cater to both hardcore gamers and casuals (hence me and U) but failed to satisfy either.
>>
>>332494610
I can't find any source for bloodborne sales past September of 2015 when it had sold half as many copies as splatoon.
>>
>>332494789
>gamecube was for hardcore gamers
c'mon
>>
>>332489258
SHITTY ASS GIMMICKS. SOCIAL MEDIA
>>
>>332491602
A few reasons, the first very simply being that the primary audience of the Wii was hyper casuals. People who do not pay attention to video game news or know much of anything about games in general. They won't have the knowledge of the industry to be able to immediately infer that the thing is a new console and not an attachment.

Second being that it had very little advertising. The only way you would have a good idea of what it was is if you actually kept up with gaming news, which, again, casuals do not.

Last one being that the Wii had loads and loads peripherals. Wii Zappers and Wii Wheels and Wii Fit Boards and Wii this and Wii that. It's not that unnatural to conclude that another piece of hardware with "Wii" in the front is just another controller.
>>
>>332494915
Wind Waker was a game that could only graphically appeal to hardcore weebs.

Hence the lukewarm Western sales.
>>
i don't care how much wiiu games sells like how i dont care how much toddler milk bottles sells
>>
>>332494637
Nintendo doesn't know how to make good consoles anymore. Even if they make a console with good hardware, they have to gain the trust of third parties and regular consumers again.
>>
The thing that puzzles me is not how little WiiU sold, but how much PS4 sold despite mostly remastering PS3
>>
Because Nintendo neglected the poor fucker while the 3DS was perfectly fine/self-sufficient at the time
>>
>>332494637
>sheer force of cash with the Xbox, is doing it again now with the XB1, and PS3 went through it as well.

lets face it, if Nintendo spent that much cash, they would be in even terms with even sony, assuming they use the money properly, and turned over their entire current marketing team.
>>
>>332495176

I think its just because PS4 has an established fan base while the wii has ultra casuals that moved on.

Fucking hell I KNOW that's what happened.

Its not rocket science.
>>
>>332495176
>but how much PS4 sold despite mostly remastering PS3

Promise of future games. They actually convinced people that "Greatness Awaits" so to speak, which an impressive feat.
>>
Bad timing. Came out at a dreamcasty kinda time.

Wasn't well-supported with software. The Wii was.

Confusingly marketed. Nobody knew what it was.

Too expensive. The controller cost too much, and did too little. Most games didn't use it.

Many casual Wii users were happy keeping their Wii and didn't feel the need to upgrade.

All of that said, the WiiU really wasn't as much of a failure as most people think. The margins are probably quite good, and the attach rate is also much higher than other consoles.

Nintendo would have probably seen more sucess if they'd released it as a Wii 2 (or Super Wii), with slightly better hardware, bundled with a motion plus controller by default. But it's easy to say that kind of thing in retrospect.

Would help if it didn't take nintendo more than an entire fucking generation to make a single Zelda game.
>>
>>332489258

Because the wii was a pop culture fad.

The wiiU didn't sell badly, the wii just sold superbly.
>>
>>332489258
Bad Gimmick that devolpers did bot know how to implement properly, also I always notice that Nintendo seems to release their consoles late into the current generation. The Wii U should have been released in the same time frame and the PS3 and 360
>>
File: 1351276404881.png (461 KB, 896x504) Image search: [Google]
1351276404881.png
461 KB, 896x504
>>332489258
NES - Nintendo was the king that saved the industry
SNES - Sega Genesis came out, thus the console wars began
N64 - Nintendo refused to embrace CDs, PS1 came out and stole all the 3rd parties from Nintendo
Gamecube - lunchbox design drove away core gamers, and 3rd parties didn't exactly embrace the tiny discs either, all this while PS2 which acted as a gaming console and a DVD player stole the spotlight
Wii - brought in casual audience in mass, but weaker hardware drove away 3rd parties and more core gamers
Wii U - surprise surprise casuals are fickle they all left, no 3rd parties care anymore, and not to mention the terrible name. Now the only people left to buy the Wii U are Nintendo fanboys
>>
File: 1434334965117.gif (233 KB, 374x269) Image search: [Google]
1434334965117.gif
233 KB, 374x269
>>332495452
>The wiiU didn't sell badly
>>
File: 2809476-amiibo1.jpg (85 KB, 682x383) Image search: [Google]
2809476-amiibo1.jpg
85 KB, 682x383
>>332495218
>used their money properly
believe me they do
>>
>>332495176
Mostly just that it managed to not completely fuck up in all the places that the competition did. Xbone launch was a complete joke of a console. I mean, you put Sony up on stage next to Microsoft's console which is less powerful, more restrictive basic consumer rights, and a hundred dollars more expensive? It's like those girls that get an ugly friend so they look better by comparison.
>>
File: 1459229745562.png (410 KB, 500x712) Image search: [Google]
1459229745562.png
410 KB, 500x712
>>332490258
Im glad you understand
>>
>>332495540
>Now the only people left to buy the Wii U are Nintendo fanboys

And people who like exclusives.
>>
>>332495625
like what?
>>
>>332495625

all the exclusives are Ninendo IP, so it's the same difference.
>>
>>332495625
yeah, Nintendo exclusives
but really that's all the Wii U has going for it, and comparatively to the Gamecube, it's got worse exclusives
>>
>>332495543

They found their niche. Skylanders/Infinity/Amiibo will always sell well
>>
>>332495542
For a nintendo console, I assume it didn't need to be said.
>>
>>332495625
>And people who like exclusives.
so, nintendo fanboys
>>
>>332489258
-Name
-Marketing

-By the end of the Wii lifespan kids realized:
"Hey.. I CAN PLAY M RATED GAMES ON MY XBOX AND MOM WON'T FREAK OUT!"
>>
>>332495625

Only Nintendo fanboys would buy a console for an exclusive every 6 months with nothing in between so yeah... Nintendo fanboys.
>>
>>332495729

GCN had insane large 3rd party support

when you compare it to WiiU.
>>
>>332489258

Slightly off topics.

Is anyone else getting an abysmal success rate when attempting the 5.4.0 browser exploit. Mine pretty much goes black and locks up every time.

Also, when IOSU when?
>>
>>332494915
people still play melee to this day.
>>
>>332494604
But that's wrong. It sold a decent amount of consoles, and the games sales are through the roof. High attach rate of games.

Marketing and pandering to the non-casuals is what killed it. After the Wii's success with casuals, and not so much with people who play games as a primary hobby, suddenly switching back is going to alienate a lot of your new found casual audience, and won't really bring back the ones that migrated to PC gaming exclusively.
>>
>>332495696

Not all, but the majority.

Nintendo is pretty much the only one with their own IPs left, with the main issue being that it has to support itself almost only with them
>>
>>332495872
>smash
>hardcore

laughing fighter players.tar.gz
>>
>>332489258
The fucking name, like seriously how could Nintendo be so stupid?
>>
>>332495916
It wasn't meant to be a hardcore game, but since people still play it competitively, it qualifies.
>>
>>332495824

Not like the other consoles release more games than that
>>
>>332494856
>Sales determine if something is good
>>
>>332495972
nice meme
>>
>>332495832
exactly
>>
>>332490039
Blops3
>>
>>332495892

That the future Nintendo chose.

They want 3rd party games, but they are hostile to 3rd parties because they don't want them doing any better than their own IPs.
>>
>>332495927
I get the feeling Nintendo of Japan tried to use English to convey something that didn't come through and NOA followed it even though it sounds stupid to us.
>>
>>332495567
This. PS4's success is pretty much because it's up next to a homely girl that some like the look of, and a 3/10 bitch who acts like she's 10/10. By comparison, the PS4 looks the best, because she promises to learn how to cook, clean, and suck dick, but so far, she only knows how to cook Mac n' Cheese.
>>
>>332489258
>poor marketing
>stupid and confusing name
>another gimmick
>under powered
>no 3rd party support

a better question would be, "how the hell did the wii sell so god damn much?"
>>
File: 59x81s.jpg.png (70 KB, 274x227) Image search: [Google]
59x81s.jpg.png
70 KB, 274x227
>>332495861
Put the mp4 payload on a local server. Works 90% of the time for me

Even so

>tfw 5.4
>the shitty scriptkiddie scene in charge of wii u refuses to update their 5.3.2 apps

5.4 has a better success rate than the browser exploits on 5.3.2 when used properly. We need better people running this shit than hacks like Hykem pretending to get arrested.

If Wii U had half the efforts of 3DS IOSU would've happened in December last year.
>>
nintendo being buttfuck retarded about online play hasn't helped.
>>
>>332495979
How else would you determine it in the grand scheme of things?
>>
>>332489680

No Xbone did everything wrong.
>>
>>332496165
meanwhile wiiu doesnt know how to cook and only lie about how good she is at cooking
>>
>>332495680
>Xenoblade
>Mario Kart
>3D Mario
>Zelda
>Splatoon
>Bayonetta 2
>etc
It even has the best version of console Terraria. XBone has no exclusives anymore, and the PS4 only has Bloodborne.
>>
>>332495979
That's usually the case.

>>332496225
Only people who haven't played WiiU complain about it's online. It's fine.
>>
>>332496268
What? No, Wii U has a lot of skills. Are you forgetting about how many popular exclusives it has?
>>
>>332496323
>Zelda

Zelda ain't even out fagboy.
>>
>>332496323
Grand Kingdom
Nights of the Azure
Atelier Sophie
Disgaea 5
Deception 5
Utawarerumono 2
etc

>PS4 only has Bloodborne

nice meme
>>
>>332496476

>Utawarerumono 2

>They are already working on the 3rd game
>>
>>332495781
>"Hey.. I CAN PLAY M RATED GAMES ON MY XBOX AND MOM WON'T FREAK OUT!"

kek
>>
>>332496553
>Utawarerumono 2 Xrated never
>>
>>332496454
>Hyrule Warriors
>Wind Waker
>Twilight Princess
"Not out yet"
>Zelda U
>>
>>332495540

>Month after month of threads screaming SONY IS ABOUT TO DIE, THERE WILL NEVER BE A PS4 mixed with threads of THE WII U WILL BE THE WII 2.0, NINTENDOMINATION
>Wii U's marketing is mediocre and plenty of warning signs that people couldn't tell what the hell the Wii U is but Nintendrones disregard these warning saying Nintendo will win the gen
>Wii U launches, gets 3M easily, but then pictures of people buying them in bulk to scalp them for profits start to appear
>Suddenly it's apparent that the Wii U only sold so well because only core Nintendo fans bought it
>Not too long after launch, it's apparent that the fucking library is a joke and the hardware is basically an overclocked PS3, worst bit is Rayman Legends getting delayed for almost a year to make 360/PS3 versions of the game, even fucking Ubisoft is aware the console is a bomb
>Meanwhile Sony starts hyping up the 20th of February as a big event
>Nintendrones who spammed about the PS4 never existing try to damage control saying it's an announcement of the Vita's new update
>20th hits, it's the PS4, and they already announce no online requirement
>Post count on /v/ goes through the roof, PS4 video on youtube hits over 10 million views in under a week, people know 8th gen is about to really start soon
>Few months down the line Xbox teases their new console and people are interested
>During that time, Xbox employee goes absolutely apeshit damage controlling devices requiring online connections
>Suddenly things aren't looking great
>Announcement hits
>Absolute shitshow, Xbox One is the name, the console design is a fucking VCR, more time talking about TV instead of games, journos mention that clapping is from employees
>Xbox One is the laughing stock of the industry but also pisses people off since it has hardcore DRM, both internet requirements and blocking of used games on a ridiculous scale
>>
>>332496747
>Suddenly rumors fly around that PS4 will now suddenly pull DRM because Xbone is, pretty apparent that journos are trying to damage control the Xbone
>Suddenly people beg Sony to do something they already said they would do, not have DRM
>E3 hits
>Xbone conference finally shows off games
>Many of them are either fucking multiplats or cg videos for exclusives
>RYSE is fucking humiliated for essentially being a not game
>$499
>Don Mattrick goes on interview to say "If you can't stay connected online, get a 360"
>Sony conference
>Games announced but also mentions TV shit
>Indies shown off, exclusives looking good
>Suddenly Jack Tretton comes onstage
>Announces the PS4 won't block used games and won't require online
>Crowd goes apeshit
>Posts a video on youtube bitchslapping MS's DRM on Xbone
>Andrew House comes onstage
>$399
>Entire audience is fucking going nuts, entire internet agrees Sony won
>Nintendo's show the next day isn't even a blip on the map in comparison
>Every internet poll shows people would get a PS4 over Xbone outside of Saudi Arabia
>Suddenly MS damage controls hardcore and goes back on every policy
>Sony releases The Last of Us and it's praised across the board
>Everyone is onboard the hype train for PS4
>November hits
>PS4s sold out all over the world, the phenomenon is nonstop
>Meanwhile the Xbone is still fucking feeling the pain from May and the Wii U is dead in a corner
>PS4 goes on to be a fucking megaseller console
All that made 2013 the most fun year on /v/
>>
>>332496698
>port
>port
>musou shit

i have nothing against ports and musou, im just imitating nintendrones on the issue

Also; nice ignoring my list of games here
>>332496476
>>
>>332496747
>>332496809
you nailed it hard son

i laugh everytime i remember how people used to spew out bullshit like B-BUT PS4 WILL HAVE ALWAYS ON DRM TOO
>>
>>332495881
>It sold a decent amount of consoles
It's a bigger sales disaster than the Gamecube, another console that also had a high attach rate.

The Wii U is a failure because Nintendo thought they could sell Gamecube games with the Wii branding.

It's not "casuals", it's not marketing, it's not pandering, it's the games. It's always the games. It's always been the games and it's always going to be the games. Games sell hardware, not the other way around.

Hardware that sells poorly doesn't have good games, full stop.
>>
>>332489258
the wii u its literally what not to do to sell a console
>let's crater to casuals even if casuals play on the phone, and our hardcore fanbase who let us live for so long is angry as fuck after the last gen
>let's produce a console less powerfull than the current gen even if we have already saw that no third party will support us
>let's sell this console overprice
>let's not make any games for many month
>during the presentation, we won't show the cosnole, just the gimmick, it's the rightt idea! We want to sell the gimmick anyway, don't we? What, everyone think it's an accessory? It's totally ok, on the next presentation we will show the actual console!
>what could possibly go wrong?
GEEZ I WONDER WHY THE WII U IS A FAILURE
>>
>>332496840

The 3ds version of HW is the port though
>>
>>332497180
i got them swapped i meant to say HW as musou shit and others as ports

i'd play HW if i owned wiiu, linkle a cute
>>
>>332489258

It didn't

It has the highest attach rate by a factor of 3 or something.
>>
>>332497024
Different anon here to say, it's always about marketing. Most of the adults I know look at my WiiU, see I'm playing Splatoon and they say "hey what's that tablet? Is that a Wii?" The Wii had marketing, Wii U doesn't. Games matter but only to those that actually know what the console is.
>>
>>332497472
It's never the marketing. If you have to market your product, it's a bad product. The Wii U does not have games people want to buy and play. The Wii became a phenomenon largely through word of mouth because the killer app (Wii Sports) was so good.

The Wii U has no killer app. Mario Kart 8 is the only game that comes close and that's sold 7.24 million copies, yet the Wii U has sold 12.6 million units. That's roughly half of how many units the Gamecube sold and about one-tenth of how many Wiis were sold.

It's all about the games.
>>
>>332497257

Hyrule Warriors and MH3U are the two games that make me feel like my WiiU purchase was worth it, sank hundreds of hours into both
>>
Commercially? I think it's a bunch of reasons
1. Thought they could ride the wave of success the Wii was by piggybacking on it with the name Wii U
2. Confused consumers who didn't know the difference. Even Wii 2 would have done better
3. Console looked literally exactly the same
4. Controller themed the same to look like an add-on
5. Next to no marketing presence
6. Scared off any 3rd parties
7. As much as I love it, the gamepad didn't wow people like it should have (It's a simplified form of VR before it became a thing. Prove me wrong)
8. I hate this one too because it's not really as true as everyone thinks, but underpowered in comparison to the competition
9. In conjunction with 8, cost about the same
10. Didn't attack microsoft when it was the cool thing to say used games would work fine and didn't advertise Virtual Console as much as they should have
11. Online is waaaay better, but still lacks features like partying up and voice chat
12. Not a reason, but it frustrated me, released an 8gb and 32gb variants when pis4 and bone had 500gb default.

It's easily the best console this gen, just hurt by some bad decisions early on. It's heartbreaking to see since there's some really really solid titles on it.
>>
>>332497997
>7. As much as I love it, the gamepad didn't wow people like it should have (It's a simplified form of VR before it became a thing. Prove me wrong)
It's a simplified form of exactly the kind of VR that everyone treats like a joke.
>>
>>332497743
>It's all about the games
>People were buying it for Wii fucking Sports.

Even then, Wii sports was advertised by all those damn commercials. Not a lot of casuals know about the Wii U right now. Think about it like this: If the Wii U magically got great games one day, the only people that would know about it probably already own a Wii U.
>>
>>332491641
>Nintendo confirmed that they are making a new console only a few years after the console released

It'll have been 5 years that it's been out late this year. It's actually had a normal lifespan.
>>
>>332489865
>Not sure how the 3DS wasn't a flop.
It was a flop at the start. It took huge amount of damage control, a price cut, and focus on new games that saved it.
>>
>>332493669
They always do that. They were working on the Wii literally like 2 months after the Gamecube released.

This is nothing new
>>
>>332497743
>If you have to market your product, it's a bad product.

What in the fuck are you even talking about? What do you think marketing is? How do you think people are supposed to know that something has good games in the first place? How do you think regular people are even supposed to know this shit exists in the first place? Do you seriously think that some of the greatest selling things in this industry or any industry got there without advertising, or that those things suddenly aren't "good products" because they had marketing?
>>
>>332494319
ps3 was terrible almost throughout it's lifetime, but at the drop of a hat, the ps4 was the most popular

ps2 was easily the most popular console of it's gen, then ps3 announcement happened and the world hated on it

Gamecube was a terrible gen for Nintendo, Wii was a roaring success literally out the gate.

Your opinion is wrong.
>>
>>332497743
>If you have to market your product, it's a bad product.
I guess the PS4 is hot garbage then as that's marketed out the ass.
>INB4 yoy were pretending all along
>>
>>332494307
worse than bone or pis4?

With 0 games I would bother emulating between them?
>>
>>332496476
Literally what: The list.

>posts full list of made up games
>Implying you're not memeing your hardest.
>>
>>332498409
True, but if my memory serves me well, they confirmed the NX's existence last year. That means that there was about 3 years between the Wii U's release and the "announcement" of the next console. It doesn't necessarily mean that the Wii U had a short life span, but most people won't buy a console if they know it's about to be replaced, especially when Nintendo is the only company that still gives a fuck about backwards compatibility.
>>
>>332498141
It came out in 2011. You know what's a joke? Paying 800usd to buy VR gear that's going to have like 3 meme games.
>>
>>332494637
>is doing it again now with the XB1
by destroying the library in favour of their OS?
>>
>>332498902
Remember when we heard whisperings about Project Cafe?

Remember the timeframe was about the same?

I do.
>>
>>332499003
"Fucked up their brand" XB1 is fucking up their brand.
>>
File: VHlPuJN.gif (2 MB, 611x329) Image search: [Google]
VHlPuJN.gif
2 MB, 611x329
Nintendo
>bad marketing
>named it the Wii-U.
>relied on gimmicks.
>Nintendo only box after 3rd party abandoned it.
>worse 3rd party than the Wii.
>recycled hardware
>recycled ips

/this thread, pic related.
>>
It shouldve launched with Mario kart. nintendo's launch games were fucking lazy
>>
>>332491602
You're dumb enough to qualify for a marketing position. Congrats. Can't wait for Wii V.
>>
File: Chenny War.jpg (139 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Chenny War.jpg
139 KB, 600x600
>>332492467
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_yo_VGOSw
>>
>>332499010
The earliest articles on project cafe I can find date back to 2011, as in a full 5 years after the release of the Wii.
>>
>>332496323
>3D Mario
>literally a reash of an handled Mario
>Wii U is the only Nintendo console without an original new Mario. Or Zelda. Or Metroid
>still, people defend this shit.
>>
File: 54654654.jpg (70 KB, 600x384) Image search: [Google]
54654654.jpg
70 KB, 600x384
>>332489258
Basically Nintendo treated their loyal fanbase like retarded babies while try to pander to the wider, casual audience again. Now the have none.
>>
They shouldbe just made wii 2. Hd wii with some upgraded remotes. Launch with wii sports 2 and Mario kart 8.

They fucked up. The wii was a brand that the casuals knew and trusted. If they wanted a console and the choice was between wii 2 or ps4 they would choose wii 2.

also the good thing with the wii was although it was underpowered it was cheap.and had a cool new the controller. Whereas the U was underpowered and it wasn't even cheap. If your new gimmick is gonna sinificantly increase the price of the console then its not really a gimmick worth having
>>
>>332498591
No, Your Opinion is FUCKIN WRONG. bitch ass nig.
>>
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzgK9FxIE5M
>>
>>332498605
>le ps4 is a bad console meme

shut the fuck up. It caters to casuals, hardcore, even fucking weeb; it has plenty of games for every fucking genre, everyone could find something interesting on it.
Now, can you say the same thing about Wii U or XB1? protip: no, you can't. Wii U is worth only for Nintendo games (and not even for that if you consider that you can find half of them on other Nintendo console), and XB1 is just a dudebroamericafuckyeah.
Marketing or not marketing.
>>
The next console will bury Nintendo for good.
>>
File: 1458378264173.png (50 KB, 557x475) Image search: [Google]
1458378264173.png
50 KB, 557x475
I bought it solely for bayonetta and smash with friends. W101, Splatoon, and Pokken are all just bonuses. 0 regrets
>>
>>332501208
Maybe you should try reading that string of replies one more time before you freak out and switch over to shill mode, friend.
>>
>>332500386

Casuals didn't care about the wii anymore they moved on to smartphones and tablets
>>
>>332501696

Just like every Nintendo console did
>>
>>332502085
They are slowly becoming irrelevant in the gaming industry as time goes
>>
>>332498753
nice meme
>>
>>332501696
They aren't going to go away any time soon, but they will start to bleed money if they can't learn from their mistakes, and it's already looking like their reputation has been pretty deeply damaged and they aren't doing enough to repair it.
>>
He couldn't even save himself.
>>
in many ways i think the wii u is what killed iwata san
>>
>loved the sega megadrive
>dead to snes

>loved the dreamcast
>dead to ps2

>loved the wii u
>dead to everything

what is this curse
>>
a console so bad it killed there president
>>
>>332497034
>the wii u its literally what not to do to sell a console

This and to add to it further

>alienate third party
>make it harder for third party to make games
>make an even shittier last gen architecture a year before the next gen was beggining

The console was begging to die right off the bat.
>>
>>332489383
more like no games
>>
File: 1419883437252.jpg (221 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1419883437252.jpg
221 KB, 1024x1024
>>332504292
I've never thought about it that way...
>>
>>332489258
Kinda shitty hardware in every regard just to make budget room for a gimmick nobody wanted in the first place.

Shit namel

We don't need a clear message or strong investment into marketig it because the shit name will sell it self.
>>
File: PrtScr capture_5 (14).png (353 KB, 771x439) Image search: [Google]
PrtScr capture_5 (14).png
353 KB, 771x439
>let's reveal our console as a "New Controller" for the Wii

Surely nothing could go wrong.
>>
Not interesting games.
Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.