[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes this game worth all its praise again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: undertale.png (43 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
undertale.png
43 KB, 3840x2160
It's literally an Earthbound fan-game made in Game Maker with a cast of donut steel OC and the traditional RPG combat replaced with a shitty shmup minigame horridly slammed together with a Bioware-esque "choice" system

i.e. it's really not all that fucking special.

So why is it getting so much praise and why is it so loved?
>>
>>332480509
Daily "why do people like Undertale" thread
>>
>>332480509
'quirky' characters who look directly into the camera and say 'I LIKE YOU, PLAYER CHARACTER, YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON WHO SHOULD TOTALLY HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS :^) :^) :^) :^)'

ie; the same reasons as Homestuck
>>
>>332480509
nice false flag
>>
Tumblrites ego don't know shit about games played it and claimed it's the best game ever.
"Gaming News" websites echoed this for a few months for clicks.
It's not a bad game by any means, it's pretty good if anything.
It's definitely not the best game ever, though.
>>
Earthbound was never good
>>
>>332480509

Reddit memes.
>>
>>332480509
>>332480656
Basically, you have good taste in games and realize Undertale is shit. Good job. Now spread the word so this game can finally die
>>
You lost all credibility when you inferred that gamemaker somehow hurts the game
>>
>>332480509
The subversion of common RPG mechanics, quirky lighthearted humor, and a touching story. It's really that simple. The problem is that it got too popular and spawned a massive fanbase, leading to an anti-Undertale reaction where /v/ decides that everything about it is shit.

If Portal was released in 2016, I bet the same thing would happen. Massive Tumblr fanfaggotry, followed by "it's n-not that special!" /v/faggotry.
>>
>>332480509
Why do you care what other people think of it
>>
>>332480509
Steam games always develop undesirable fan bases
prove me wrong
>>
>>332480509
The mechanics and the mechanical actions are integral to the story and what drives its direction.

Let's put it this way. Mass Effect allows you to make choices by entering a dialogue system that is vastly removed from the rest of the game. You impact the story with the dialogue system, not with the actual gunplay. You shoot people so that you can get to the next section of dialogue that changes the story. In short, the gameplay is totally separate from the story.

In Undertale, the mechanics and the narrative are tied together. You drive the story with your mechanical actions and what you choose to do with the combat system you have been given.

Imagine if you were able to drastically change the path of the story by choosing to shoot or not shoot something in Mass Effect - and I don't mean in a dialogue tree but during its actual combat mechanics. That's what people praise Undertale for. The narrative is intrinsically linked to the mechanics and what you do with them.
>>
>>332480509

>Gamemaker
>Inherently bad

There aren't many engines out there that are inherently shit. Its what you do with it that counts.

You can call the gameplay a "minigame" but there are some points where its really challenging and engaging. There is also variety mixed into the combat itself. I understand that not everyone is going to be about this kind of gameplay, but I personally enjoyed it.

The music is great.

The characters are memorable. Even though >>332480656 has a point, I think each character stands on their own writing wise without it being a circle jerk to the player.

Honestly, its the contrarian culture of /v/ is why so many people on here hate it. You should have seen /v/ with this game prior to its release when the kickstarter was going on. So many people were excited for it. Since it blew up, everyone is hung up on how its infested with tumblrites and redditors.

Who cares if some group of idiots likes the game. Just because a group of autistic retards like a game doesn't mean you're an autistic retard as well.

It makes it really easy to tell who is a kid on here. When you get older, you stop caring what everyone thinks so much. If you like the game, don't get hung up on the fact that a bunch of meme-spouting morons enjoy it as well. Like or dislike it on it's own merits.
>>
>>332481012
Except Portal was actually innovative. Unfunny cake memes aside, it was a masterfully crafted game from beginning to end and nothing like it existed before (Unless you count Narbacular Drop or whatever, but it was the same people). Undertale is just an art game posing as a JRPG and punishes you for playing it like one. Playing Pacifist (which is clearly what it wants you to do) makes it absolutely boring since it's just one big monster hugbox where you go around and say nice things to the monsters throwing fireballs at you and give them backs rubs and shit. Even if you do play it like a JRPG, you only get 2 real boss fights since everything else dies with no real effort, so you're still getting fucked over.
>>
File: 1402401121965.gif (215 KB, 400x524) Image search: [Google]
1402401121965.gif
215 KB, 400x524
Serious question here.
Why do people like videogames?
>>
>>332480509

People mainly under 24 seem to like it because it's "new" to them, is "hip" and "trendy".

Just like Gone Home.

Nobody but old assholes like me remember the ton of "gone home" type games from the early 90s but you know, they were GAMES and had GAME shit in them. 7th Guest? MYST? ANYONE REMEMBER THAT SHIT?

Undertale is dull, ugly and boring though the soundtrack is pretty good I guess.

I'm 38. I have 6 kids. I refuse to let them play this feminized crap. When they get in trouble, they are grounded until they beat Megaman 1 and 2, Zelda 2, Blaster Master, Fester's Quest and shit like that.

Kids today, buncha dirty casuals.
>>
It's shit tbqh, boring as fuck
>>
>>332481685
Narbacular Drop is more of a proof of concept than a game.

Portal isn't exactly the first game to use teleportation to the extent that it does, just like Half Life 2 isn't the first game to use physics-based weaponry, but it does utilize it in a fairly unique way.
>>
>>332482137
>not grounding your kids until they beat Nethack
>>
File: 1344175461638.png (207 KB, 561x471) Image search: [Google]
1344175461638.png
207 KB, 561x471
>you lived to see the day that Undertale discussion finally died on the internet
Feels good.
>>
>>332481685
>Except Portal was actually innovative.
And Undertale wasn't? If you want to ignore the unique parts and take one aspect of the game for your claim, then I can point to several games that used portals before Portal.

>Playing Pacifist (which is clearly what it wants you to do)
Yeah, but not necessarily the first time. The intended progression is basically
>"Oh neat, a retroish RPG with weird humor!"
>"Huh.... I felt kind of weird after killing Undyne..."
>"OH GOD WHAT HAVE I BECOME"
>Do second playthrough as a Pacifist, getting the true ending and feeling like a nice guy.
And then Genocide just for completionist's sake (which the game even tells you you're doing). And sometimes, the "hugbox" stuff isn't as fun, but isn't that kinda the point? That sometimes, doing the right thing isn't the simplest or quickest option?

>you only get 2 real boss fights since everything else dies with no real effort
Well you did say it was an "art game". Wouldn't excessive difficulty get in the way of this? The only truly hard parts are in the Genocide route, which is actually supposed to be un-fun.
>>
Furry Characters
>>
>>332482724
I enjoy difficult games though and I figured the route where you actually level grind would get you a bit more engaging gameplay. Turns out combat is still just as bland either way. Fucking Toby doesnt even want to make Hard Mode even though that woulf probably make even Pacifist feel like an actual game with inter3sting attack psttern to dodge
>>
>>332480509
It's because it's pretty good
>>
>>332483720
Well, I guess we went in with different expectations. BTW if you want a unique bullet-hell game that does have difficulty, check out Rabi-Ribi.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.