[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the NX's Big Surprise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: nintendo-fusion-nx.jpg (244 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-fusion-nx.jpg
244 KB, 1191x670
1. Freeform screen surrounding buttons.

+ Patents, leaks, and relationship with Sharp support the idea

- Controller with screen too similar to Wii U

- Hands cover screen

2. Augmented Reality

+ Nintendo's done plenty of experimentation with AR, from Pokemon Go to 3DS cards

+ Easy to imagine expanded amiibo applications

- Microsoft's R&D abandoned using AR for gaming applications despite top-rate technology

- Questionable versatility

3. Virtual Reality

+ Enormous potential for a new level of immersive gameplay

- Nintendo has preferred underpowered hardware for two generations, but VR requires top-shelf graphics

- Screen tech in VR units is prohibitively expensive

4. Console/Portable Hardware Hybrid

+ Nintendo recently moved their portable and console development teams in the same building

+ Uniting their systems could rally developer support

+ Gameboy Player and Wii U experiment with some of these ideas.

- Implementations requiring two screens and two SoCs are expensive and a pain for developers

- Implementations putting all the hardware in the mobile unit are underpowered

- Trumping the DS' design with the new mobile unit would present enormous challenges

5. Integrated Software Platform

+ Automatic crossplay between console and portable devices

+ One development pool serves the preferences of different consumers

+ Can release consoles separately, lowering individual cost

- Both systems would still need to use the same architecture and implement the same inputs, which could limit them both

- Even a good system would likely require significant developer legwork for no additional revenue

What will it be, /v/?

http://strawpoll.me/7223002
>>
File: what do you think.jpg (34 KB, 465x341) Image search: [Google]
what do you think.jpg
34 KB, 465x341
>>
The last two sound pretty cool
>>
>>332456813
At this point, I don't give a shit.

I just want Nintendo to announce it/reveal it so these same threads stop popping up everyday with nothing to them except for (mostly) baseless rumors.
>>
>>332456813
They're gonna shit all over it.
Do you honestly expect anything less than a Sonygger Paradise from /v/?
>>
>>332456813
I voted 1&5.

> Both systems would still need to use the same architecture and implement the same inputs, which could limit them both

What do you mean?
>>
>>332456813
>What is the NX's Big Surprise?
Making a lot of nerds extremely butthurt
>>
>>332456813
The things been in development since around 2012.

The patents you mention are from late 2014/2015.

Look for patents filed between 2010 and 2012 and it'll be something like that.
>>
>>332457341
Regarding the architecture, they probably have to use ARM for the mobile device. That means they are using ARM for the home console too, which would limit power significantly. ARM and the graphics technology we've seen in ARM SoCs are impressive, but more for the amount of performance they squeeze into a low power envelope than for the performance itself.

Regarding the inputs, take the DS for example. Dual screens are great--since the controls are below the main screen, your neck rests in a more comfortable position. There's unlimited room for extra information on the bottom screen, which is a blessing for RPGs. But if the main console only uses one screen, the portable can't have two.

>>332457590
Do you know any?
>>
>>332456813
Hopefully they've vague enough about it up to launch that people think it's an add-on for the Wii U and nobody buys it so Nintendo can finally stop this hardware nonsense and just focus on making games, which is what they're good at.
>>
>>332457769
I imagine they'll go for something slightly more powerful than the Vita. They'll take a hit to graphics on the console part, but it will leave them with a handheld that looks great. Maybe there will be a small bump in graphics when playing on the console due to higher clock speeds or something. But yeah, it's gonna have to be ARM, which means somewhere between a Vita and a high-end phone is the best we can hope for in terms of graphics.
>>
File: 1429042567899.jpg (165 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1429042567899.jpg
165 KB, 1252x1252
>>332456813
I just want it to play games.
>>
>>332458151
Very possible. Certainly we have enough power to push 720p on the handheld, and by clocking it up and sticking a lot of GDDR5 in it, we can probably make the console produce Wii U level graphics. More importantly, a separate console unit could also buy us enough power for split-screen multiplayer, something that would probably be impossible if we were using the mobile device as the core computing unit.
>>
People who chose Console/Portable Hardware Hybrid over the Integrated Software Platform: why?

Do you think the software implementation is too difficult?
>>
Okay /v/ hear me out
it will be PSP-like (oval) with two flat dpads and the usual buttons, also with shoulder scrolls that can click

The first screen will be slightly below the level of the buttons, so the second screen closes above it and does not protude from the device in any way
>>
>>332459657
>The first screen will be slightly below the level of the buttons, so the second screen closes above it and does not protude from the device in any way

What do you mean by this? Is it a slideout?

Also, do you really think Nintendo will forgo dual-analog?
>>
If the only level of CPU performance they are trying to match is Jaguar, they should be fine if they go with something like A72.
>>
I think the handheld will work as the controller, or at least have that functionality even if it doesn't get bundled into the package.
>>
>>332460085
Cortex A72 is fine for CPU, but PowerVR's best still doesn't match up with the AMD cards on the PS4 and X1.
>>
>>332456813
I just want a box with good specs, two cords for power and video, and a controller with some buttons that let me control shit on screen.

Why is this too much to ask for?
>>
>>332460456
The Wii U gave you that and you didn't like it.
>>
>>332460598
Liar. It's my most used console. All the consoles are downstairs and are used mostly by the kids. the Wii U is the one that gets used most often with Smash and Mario Kart, or the VC games I made them play to appreciate classic vidya. The PS3 is generally for Skyrim and Netflix.

I'll get the PS4 when P5 is out. $400 FF15 and Persona machine incoming.
>>
>>332460242
>PowerVR's best still doesn't match up
Who says they are using PowerVR for the console? AMD has an ARM license.
>>
>>332461069
good taste

>>332461123
Yes, they rebought their ARM license. And they haven't done anything worthwhile with it.

I would be pretty surprised if they could cobble anything even remotely impressive together at this point.
>>
Who cares it's gonna be shit anyway - Nintendo haven't made a good piece of hardware in decades and it doesn't seem like that will change. The advantage they used to have was good games but Noa that is gone to because they just don't seem to give a fuck anymore. RIP
>>
>>332463415
The hardware is objectively good - very low failure rates: if your complaint is that the hardware is weak then that's a problem with any modern console honestly. The important aspect is the games and Nintendo still deliver on thqt front.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.