[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Death
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 15
File: 1428300412488.png (220 KB, 1631x1631) Image search: [Google]
1428300412488.png
220 KB, 1631x1631
The main theme of the game is obviously death, but what does it say about confronting it? What did you take away from it?
>>
>>332455857
I don't know if there's one concrete pithy message. I guess I'd say I felt it was saying how losing people was inevitable and difficult, but that the memories and legacies they leave behind should be cherished. Something uplifting.
>>
>>332456927
Yeah that's about as close as I could get. There was that interesting bit of dialogue from Majora about when you're the bad guy you just run. If he sees himself as the good guy why would that be?
As much as I love the game good memories doesn't make death seem any less shitty to me thoughlol
>>
>>332455857
>What did you take away from it?
Futility. It doesn't matter how much you help people, as soon as you hit reset, their lives go back to being fucked. And it's impossible to help everyone in one cycle. In order to save one, it often comes at the expense of another.
>>
>>332457243
I just took that as Majora is just playing a game and doesn't understand why it's evil.
>>
>>332458180
It could be that Majora is also why people want death. He sees everyone suffering and you prolong it with life. Therefore you are the "bad guy". Majora is like an antinatalist but with murder instead
>>
>>332457405
But you win at the end and as long as you get the masks, everyone gets a good ending epilogue bit.
>>
File: dark souls lore.png (80 KB, 254x325) Image search: [Google]
dark souls lore.png
80 KB, 254x325
>>332455857
>>
File: 1443318631345.png (269 KB, 296x554) Image search: [Google]
1443318631345.png
269 KB, 296x554
>>332457405
If we extrapolate that and fear we get why people fear death. They fear what they lose. It's also about lose. How does one deal with the futility? Why do anything at all if it won't reach its goal or be undone?
/v/ why live?
>>
>>332458401
I don't think it's anything that spiritual. It's not like Persona 3 where the enemy is established as a religious or conceptual thing. Majora's evil is an extension of the Skull Kid's mischief gone too far and amplified. It's childish and chaotic.
>>
>>332455857
Death is inevitable and you should stop procrastinating and enjoy what you've got
>>
>>332458451
This is something I've always wondered. In order to get some masks you have to screw people over. The most prominent example is letting the bomb ladt get robbed so that the thief shows up at the shop for Kafei to track.

I like the idea that you can't help everyone but it makes me question the ending cutscene.
>>
>>332455857
No shit considering the whole thing is a dying dream while Link gets Stalfosized.
>>
>>332460032
>There will never be a Majora's Mask remake that shows different ending cutscenes for people depending on whether or not you helped them
>>
>>332461351
That would be cool. Or a wiiu one like in that fake fan trailer
>>
>>332455857
LINK WAS DEAD THE WHOLE TIME DUDE
>>
File: 1428294588103.jpg (229 KB, 1181x886) Image search: [Google]
1428294588103.jpg
229 KB, 1181x886
>>332462061
Yeah I've considered that one too. I'm more interested in just the death aspect though. I guess the purgatory of Termina was just there so Link could realize he helped a lot of people and be content with that as he died?
>>
>>332462923
Guess that didn't work though lol
>twilight princess
>>
>>332462923
Yeah don't think to hard on that one. The whole Link is dead thing is a very grasping at straws idea that was mostly blown up by meme tier youtube channel.

BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY
>>
File: pain this is why i fight.png (1 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
pain this is why i fight.png
1 MB, 1360x768
>>332458654
>>
>>332465027
A GAME THEORY
>>
I actually think majora's mask is about a game that commemorates john lennons life and death
>>
>>332465357
HOW
>>
File: Young Link0245.jpg (40 KB, 700x782) Image search: [Google]
Young Link0245.jpg
40 KB, 700x782
>>332455857
Basically
>Majora
Angel of Death, sees their actions (mass murder) as a release from the mortal coil, which it believes is mostly suffering. The World of this game backs him up slightly because everyone is having problems, even people Skull Kid did nothing to. If the game took ancient egyptian ideals, Majora would be the hero of the story.
>Link
Is trying to solve everyone's problems but repeatedly comes to the inevitability that he can't save everyone. In a way any good person in real life is trying to be Majora's Mask Link, because no matter how many times we're reminded that bad things keep happening and will never stop happening, even to such a basic degree as standard necessities like hunger, we still try to solve the problems around us. This makes Majora Link one of the better player inserts the series has had since his role is pretty much what anyone would do in his situation.
There's also a dark side to this Link, however. Majora even lampshades this by calling Link the bad guy before fighting him. He says "When you're the bad guy, you run, right?". This is because Link in this game either is himself or is helping others to escape their problems. Majora recognizes the futility in Link's actions and believes that Link never lets people solve or accept their own problems. The gorons never have to accept the death of Darmani, because you let Darmani live on. Lulu never has to accept Mikau's Death because from her perspective he's still alive.
Could also be worth noting this game's Link is a child, and considering this is after the events of Ocarina of Time, he may well have a "interesting" worldview from having skipped 7 years of his life, saved the world, and gone back to undo his actions in the future. I'd say someone in his position would have a hard time understanding death considering that dying of old age would be a confusing concept for someone who grew up with timeless elves and time traveled back and forth.
>>
Majora's Mask was Termina's Fused Shadows.

An object of great power, created by a dark clan of magic users centuries ago, that was sealed away for its corrupting influence. Familiar, no? Then there's how the eye on the Fused Shadows is identical to the eyes on Majora's Mask, as well as how both are capable of sprouting limbs when unleashing their full power.
>>
File: Young.Link.full.1868439.jpg (396 KB, 800x726) Image search: [Google]
Young.Link.full.1868439.jpg
396 KB, 800x726
>>332467029
That's all fine n' dandy but what does it mean?
Obviously that would only say something about TP, right?
>>
My theory about Majora has always been that he/she/it gains pleasure and nourishment from pain and suffering. It goes around Termina ruining everyone's life. It never kills anyone, just leaves them perpetually miserable so it can feed. On top of all these shenanigans, it destroys the world, not immediately, but slowly over a period of three days, allowing all those juicy negative emotions to build up before finally gorging itself on killing everyone. Majora chose to attack specifically during the Festival of Time for the added benefit of ruining everyone's fun. It drew Skull Kid to the mask because he had so many negative emotions that could give it power. This food would have allowed it to escape the mask and return to full power, as shown when it escapes the Skull Kid in the endgame, because three days worth of anguish finally gave it the power to do so. After the moon crashed, it would have assumed it's true form, which could survive Termina's destruction and go on to wreak havoc on other worlds.

Most disturbingly, it gains power from all pain and suffering, even its own, as evidenced by its orgasmic cries when you hit it in the final battle.
>>
>>332467301
It means I want to fuck Shota Link
>>
>>332462061
Enlighten me a bit here, what's actually wrong with this idea?
It seems pretty backed up what with the stuff about people turning into stalfos and the Hero's Spirit in TP
>>
>>332455857
Is this from a Zelda/Undertale romhack?
>>
File: Majoras-Mask-3D-screenshot-03.png (2 MB, 1920x1077) Image search: [Google]
Majoras-Mask-3D-screenshot-03.png
2 MB, 1920x1077
Why did they turn the moon into a jew?
>>
>>332466976
>>332467854
Both interesting. Never thought about it like that in the Majora battle. I knew Link didn't let people deal with death but there's also the point of helping others or helping others help themselves
>>
>>332468912
Because there's literally nothing scarier than someone or something trying to kill you just for your money, regardless of how much you actually have.
>>
>>332458654
our uni just redid the climbing wall

that's a pretty good reason
>>
File: uktsj0tsmqjz4jiuzpwz.png (347 KB, 636x295) Image search: [Google]
uktsj0tsmqjz4jiuzpwz.png
347 KB, 636x295
>>332468858
I think it's just fanart

>>332468912
>YOU COULD HAVE STOPPED THIS
>>
No, termina is a state of mind, the game is about conquering yourself, look at the symbolism, 3 days to live, 4 temples to conquer, the inside of the moon, the shape of Majora's mask.

Death is never an option.
>>
>majorafags
euphoric
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbXTDDEj3VM
>>
File: 1456337345753.jpg (2 MB, 1192x2308) Image search: [Google]
1456337345753.jpg
2 MB, 1192x2308
>>332469206
Yeah I can see those sort of things. How does one move beyond hedonism though?
>>
File: y7Hj7Rr.gif (2 MB, 335x237) Image search: [Google]
y7Hj7Rr.gif
2 MB, 335x237
>>332469386
Le hat joke
>>
>>332469457
>implying the best level isn't 0
>>
why doesn't Link use the Song of Healing to un-curse Kafei? Is Anju a pedophile or something?
>>
>>332469934
The Song of Healing's powers are confusing
>When used on Darmani, Mikau, and Kamaro, it turns them into masks, the latter of which is just a mask and not a transformation mask
>When used on Deku Link and Pamela's Father, it turns their altered form into a mask, and the Gibdo Mask isn't a transformation mask.
>If the song is played to the Poe Collector in the Spirit House, he will lower the price of his mini-game from 30 to 10 Rupees
>When used on broken signs it re-assembles them
Better question: why doesn't it work on traumatized Romani or Sharp
>>
Why does Link need Kafei's Mask to ask about Kafei?
>>
>>332472327
Because he can't talk unless he is spoken to
>>
File: 746.png (190 KB, 394x457) Image search: [Google]
746.png
190 KB, 394x457
>>332473075
like a good slave
>>
>>332455857

I honestly think this game is a bit of a smoke and mirrors trick, and that people look too hard into it for meaning. The core plot is more or less solid but a lot of elements are just in there because they're cool, in my opinion.

>>332470906 is a good example of evidence in favour of this.
>>
>>332470906
>Sharp
He says that the song of healing doesn't work because his soul is filled with darkness and doesn't want it to be healed.

Kamaro, Pamela's dad, Darmani and Mikau all wanted to be healed.
>>
>>332470906
It only creates transformation masks for people who are dead/dying. The Fierce Deity mask is the reason people think Link is dead during the events of Majora's Mask.
>>
File: MM_fans_are_cancer2.png (16 KB, 904x271) Image search: [Google]
MM_fans_are_cancer2.png
16 KB, 904x271
>>332455857
my take away from it was that it was a terrible game and it makes sense that it sold like shit on both occasions it had a physical retail release.

Way too much suffering and sadness and emotionally compromised characters in MM. Worst Zelda game ever made. Would have been exponentially more fun with 4 more dungeons instead of all the sidequests that 90% revolved around truly negative and depressing themes.

being made to feel needlessly sad as a consumer of a piece of media isn't a good feeling and only retards think otherwise.
>>
File: KOOPA_NPC.jpg (384 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
KOOPA_NPC.jpg
384 KB, 1920x1080
Post your favorite hidden lore
>>
>>332474392
You forgot to use the word "muh".

It's not a proper shitpost if you don't use the word "muh"
>>
>>332474796

I like this idea, anon.

My attempt at "improving" his post:

>muh suffering
>hurr muh lore
>muh depth
>muh themes
>>
>>332474198
Kamaro dies, his mask is normal
>>
>>332474972
Fair point. You do get killer moves and a tiny head, though.
>>
one of my favorite games. i've done a lot of reading about it and have come to appreciate how little definitive meaning the game may have for the player - it feels like several motifs lumped into an unorthodox, incredibly original game with a cult following (at least compared to OoT). i just recently stumbled upon this, which really interested me:

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2014/12/majoras-mask-should-terrify-you-and-this-is-why/

it outlines most of the the aforementioned motifs and explains their relevance, which i found really cool. love talking about the game.
>>
>>332457243
>>332458401
I thought it was more that Link refuses to accept reality. He loops time over and over until everyone is happy, something that wouldn't be possible for anyone else in that world.
>>
File: 1458803476656.jpg (84 KB, 744x1053) Image search: [Google]
1458803476656.jpg
84 KB, 744x1053
>>332469934
>Is Anju a pedophile or something?
Link wants to turn her into one so Anju's BFF starts considering the idea of grown woman/child
>>
>>332458180
No, he does. Well, the mask obviously exacerbated the effect of his indignation, but it's shown repeatedly that he wishes some harm on the people around him, mostly for not being his friend. He's a lonely child whose fragile condition only worsened over time, until it cracked; which wouldn't have been such an issue had he not come into possession of a world-altering magic doomsday device.

Everything's actually fine at the end of the game when he realizes the giants are still his friends, until the mask takes over the moon.

That said, I think he illustrates one of the main themes of the game, which is loneliness, and coping with it; the entire journey did begin with Link searching for a friend, after all. Sometimes you find your true love; sometimes you don't. Sometimes your loneliness is a product of your own assumptions, or you might actually be all by yourself. And sometimes that's just fine, as long as you're helping others avoid the same, terrible fate.
>>
>>332476358
Too many wasted kilobytes to say you like dicks
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.