[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TFW there will never be another game like this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: Whybruhsadface.jpg (385 KB, 1492x1000) Image search: [Google]
Whybruhsadface.jpg
385 KB, 1492x1000
TFW there will never be another game like this
>>
how did the fucking unlocking monsters with cds and dvds work anyway

it was like fucking technowizardry when i was younger

still is
>>
File: 3_77685.jpg (37 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
3_77685.jpg
37 KB, 512x288
feels bad man
>>
Most of my games were foreign since I reigon unlocked my PS2 and my aunt from the US would send me US games.

Just kept getting the mushroom.
>>
>>332408736
I don't know man... I wish I did.

>>332408872
Instead we got rinse and repeat Pokemon and Digimon gets fucked over...
>>
>>332408736
muh checksums i assume.

every 'disc' can be read like a barcode. the data is compressed into a snippit like a tinyurl. The string of data would represent a monster.
>>
>>332408517
>2 full fucking songs by Cooler Kids
God damn, what a shame.
>>
File: Untitled.png (184 KB, 284x353) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
184 KB, 284x353
>>
The Monster Rancher series is one of my all time favorite series. Possibly top 5, definitely top ten. Amazing games. If someone wanted to revive the series I would actually be ecstatic.

Worm was my favorite monster, what about you guys? I loved Durahan and Dragon as a kid as well, but I outgrew them. Pixie, Tiger, Suezo, are all top tier as well but nothing beats Worm.
>>
>>332409657

i dont remember any of their names but i liked the thing that looks like a repair droid from star wars

lobster scorpion thing was also top notch

when you combine the two, oh baby
>>
The DS game was alright, but I'm pretty sure that's the end of the franchise. The 'drawing' mechanic was a poor substitute for swapping disc. The only other way I could have seen that working would require people to have DS Phat/DS Lite and monsters would generate based on the game in the GBA slot (ala race tracks for Pokemon Dash).

>>332410080
Hengers friend, unlocking them in the DS game was my first priority.
>>
>That sadness when your first monster died
>>
>>332408736
How did the game read the data? It loaded a specific portion of the game into computer memory, then turned off the CD/DVD reader and let it be opened up. The running game data said to read the next disk entered, then open the disk tray and accept the game disk back.

How did the reading actually work? Apparently it read the first few sections of the disk and just used that data. I know that with MR2, people could just burn the first few bits of a particular CD and it would read through it very quickly, rather than running through the entire CD to just get what it was looking for. Also, factors like make and version mattered (every Dreamcast game produced the same monster because they all had the same beginning files) and some CD writing software screwed up the process, because it inserted its own small file at the beginning of each written CD.
>>
File: 1420060993544.jpg (1 MB, 951x1352) Image search: [Google]
1420060993544.jpg
1 MB, 951x1352
>>332408517
How would it work in this day and age? QR/Barcode scans? NFC/Amiibo? Mobile only or mobile assisted?
>>
>>332412927
QR/Barcode scans, most likely. I suppose it could also be set up to scan computer files, if you still wanted to associate it with iTunes music. The whole point of Monster Rancher was scanning something which most people had a lot of already. A QR/Barcode is basically the same thing today. Amiibos and other Skylander/Infinity dolls are just too limited to work in this case, although a QR scanner would necessarily mean something with a camera (meaning mobile phones).
>>
>>332410942
I cried when my monster died about 15 years ago. I don't know what I did with the disc (MR2), but it's been lost ever since.
>>
File: Dagon_(Arrowhead).jpg (9 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Dagon_(Arrowhead).jpg
9 KB, 256x192
>>332409657
I always got along best with Suezo and Naga. I think it's just something about their attitude and my training methods that worked really well.

I also liked my Arrow Heads. Durable little tanks that just kept going, they were. Too bad most people seemed to have forgotten them.
>>
File: 118-Spot Saurian.png (37 KB, 312x416) Image search: [Google]
118-Spot Saurian.png
37 KB, 312x416
>>332409657
Nothing'll beat Spot Saurian for me, it was one of my first monsters before I did the disc swapping thing, and the first I ever got to S rank.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.