[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Floating head and hands bosses These need to stop. I get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 18
File: Floated Head and Hands.png (1 MB, 1512x736) Image search: [Google]
Floated Head and Hands.png
1 MB, 1512x736
>Floating head and hands bosses
These need to stop. I get it, they're easy to make, animate, design, etc. but they're over-used and lazy as fuck. I'm sure everyone on /v/ can think of at least one game that has a floating head and hands boss.
Thoughts?
>>
It's a classic game design, as long as it doesn't appear more than once a game I see no problem with this
>>
>>332391746
They're terrifying imo, true nightmare fuel
>>
The Zeal fight was great though.
>>
File: Haunter gets a nose job.png (311 KB, 774x405) Image search: [Google]
Haunter gets a nose job.png
311 KB, 774x405
>>332391746
>>
>>332391746
Go fuck yourself. Nobody cares that it triggers your dumb autisti ass. :^)
>>
>>332391746
>No Donkey Kong

OPINION DISCARDED
>>
File: Mmx_wolf_sigma.png (11 KB, 224x192) Image search: [Google]
Mmx_wolf_sigma.png
11 KB, 224x192
The real reason Sigma went Maverick? He wanted to be a giant furry.
>>
>>332392141
>Wants to be furry

Obviously overcompensating for something.
>>
>>332391860
I understand these kind of bosses appearing in older games, but they shouldn't be appearing in games anymore. They're lazy and out-dated, it's a boss fight you've fought a dozen times already.
>>332391896
The Zeal fight is a bit of an odd man out, because it's a fight in an RPG rather than a platformer or adventure game like these bosses usually appear in. Still, her true form is kind of underwhelming when she's such an important villain character and you're just fighting a floating head and hands.
>>332391967
Thanks for the bump, sperglord.
>>332392104
It's in the lower left of the image though.
>>
>>332392345
>It's in the lower left of the image though.

No I think they meant The final boss of DK94

Too lazy to find a picture
>>
File: bestmariogame.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
bestmariogame.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>332392345
>It's in the lower left of the image though.
Are you trying to ruse me?

>>332392394
Finally someone here who likes videogames
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>>332392394
Oh yeah, forgot about that boss.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49 KB, 1920x1080
They are symbols. Lesser versions of a higher power with a greater purpose and created for a variety of reasons. It is said one hand represents creation, and the other hand represents destruction, and both are part of a more perfect being, a being that considers the very life it creates as mere tools in some unknowable grand design. Perhaps there is some higher purpose in its machinations, or perhaps all of creation is just a part of some madman's game.
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
141 KB, 1280x720
I started replaying Nier and forgot it had this trope.

Nier has all kinds of references to video game tropes though.
>>
>>332392621
Deepest lore
>>
File: 12345.jpg (87 KB, 967x359) Image search: [Google]
12345.jpg
87 KB, 967x359
>>332391746
You forgot these two.
>>
>>332392463
>>332392465
>Final boss of Mario vs Donkey Kong is the same fight but with DK in a mech

Didn't know what I was expecting honestly
>>
>>332392394
>dk 94
>post ends in 94

whoa
>>
>>332393271
>Mario vs Donkey Kong

Don't remind me please
>>
>>332393613
Eh I can;t blame Nintendo Software Technology for trying.

Shame about those sequels.
>>
Whoa is dat some dk94?
>>
File: terry bogard is not ok.png (145 KB, 303x349) Image search: [Google]
terry bogard is not ok.png
145 KB, 303x349
>>332393613
The first MvDK was okay, but the sequels are shit. I would have loved more in the style of DK '94 games but they insisted on going with Lemmings.
>>
>>332393613
Hey man the GBA one was a pretty good follow-up even with the jank ass graphics. Everything after that is a shame though, at least Captain Toad tries to recreate some of that puzzle/platforming magic
>>
>>332391746
But they did stop

And now I miss them
>>
File: 1458740685575.png (1 MB, 769x717) Image search: [Google]
1458740685575.png
1 MB, 769x717
>>332393752
>>332393885
First one is alright, I'll give you that.
But doesn't come even nearly come close to DK94.

>>332394023
It was just okay.
>Bringing up Captain Toad out of nowhere
It's just a puzzle game and different than DK94
>>
>>332394145
Well, Terraria did add the Moon Lord in 1.3 last year. The devs insisted on patching out ways of cheesing him though. Now I really don't think much of the fight.
>>
>>332394370
Suddenly I remember how I just ran into that dungeon without beating skeleton boss, just rushing through the dungeon collecting as many treasures as I can.
Too bad they fixed that
>>
I don't think it's inherently a bad thing. If it's just the one boss out of many, it really isn't a problem.

It's like complaining about dragons. Nobody does that, because dragons are cool. Well, so are giant floating evil hands.
>>
>>332391746
>>
File: Ramrock.png (9 KB, 370x431) Image search: [Google]
Ramrock.png
9 KB, 370x431
Best boss in Oracle of Ages.
>>
>>332395089
Nintendo is probably the biggest offender of floating head/hands bosses.
>>
>>332394370
>>332391746
Goodbye Moonman isn't a floating head + hands boss, though. Clearly his entire body is there.

Skelington got an even more triggering form. Double triggering for anyone who doesn't like these kinds of bossfights. Funny how all the games with them tend to be amazing.
>>
>>332395631
Because it's a tried and true boss design. Makes for fun fights. The design has appeared multiple times in Chrono Trigger and Terraria, and those are among the top 20 best games of all time.
>>
>>332391746
My thoughts are you're dumb. This is not by any means an overused cliche, no matter how much you cherrypick, and "easy to animate" doesn't really apply to 2d sprites anyway.

And for your complaining about it being lazy, or all the fights being the same, I'm just not seeing it. Shit, your image contains games from at a minimum three different genres if you're counting Zelda as a platformer. You might as well attack ice bosses or water levels. Every game can have its own spin on a familiar formula and still be interesting.
>>
File: needahand.png (565 KB, 454x531) Image search: [Google]
needahand.png
565 KB, 454x531
>>
>>332396139
>Platformer
>Metroidvania
>RPG
>Adventure game
>Sandbox psuedo-RPG
>Rail Shooter
There's a ton of variance there. It's a good boss fight design that, as long as it isn't overused, can be fun. It's a pleasant surprise, and a problem you know how to solve .

Comparatively, it's like in Calculus when you get to those chapters that are basically just baby-mode Algebra with a dash of Geometry. A pleasant surprise, and you already have all the skills needed to solve the problem.
>>
>>332396240
YOU TOO SHALL BECOME MY PUPPET

Played the fuck out of this with friends
Oh what better times
>>
>>332396240
Not sure if that second guy counts since he never uses his hands (He just throws dummies into the Iron Maidens and you switch places)
>>
>>332395864
Aren't the only attackable parts of the Moon Lord his head and hands though? Either way, he still falls under the basic premise of a fh&h boss; he flies around in the background, you attack his head and hands, and he attacks you with them.
>>332395940
The fights are no longer fun to me because I've fought these fights so many times, they're overused, simple, and lazy. And just because a specific kind of boss fight appears in a good game doesn't mean it's a good boss fight.
>>
File: 1459234128755.png (701 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1459234128755.png
701 KB, 600x600
>tfw Splatoon didn't have a floating hands + head boss fight
>tfw the closest we got was DJ Octavio
Still mad.
>>
File: Moon_Lord_Core_animated[1].gif (10 KB, 263x171) Image search: [Google]
Moon_Lord_Core_animated[1].gif
10 KB, 263x171
>>332396475
>Aren't the only attackable parts of the Moon Lord his head and hands though?
No, you can only attack the eyes on his hands and his forehead, and only when they're open. Once you kill all three, his chest opens up. Not to mention most of his attacks consist of the eyeball phantasms he summons, his forehead laser of "Fuck your HP", and his giant, ravenous hand-mouths.

>they're overused, simple, and lazy.
>Overused
No, they don't appear that often, and almost exclusively in GOAT gaames
>Simple
Simplicity isn't bad
>Lazy
Are you fucking kidding me with that shit?
>>
File: What The Bother Am I Reading.jpg (107 KB, 613x533) Image search: [Google]
What The Bother Am I Reading.jpg
107 KB, 613x533
>>332396487
What? DJ Octavio is basically a floating head and hands boss though, just with a giant DJ orb for a head that shoots shit at you. He even attacks you with his hands.
>>
>>332396664
But you only ever shoot the hands and the shutter bombs he shoots at you. He's a Phantom Ganon clone, not a Bongo Bongo clone.
>>
File: Noble Voice FUCK YOU..png (142 KB, 293x341) Image search: [Google]
Noble Voice FUCK YOU..png
142 KB, 293x341
>>332395617
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME THAT THIS ASSHOLE EXISTS
FUCKING ORACLE OF AGES EVERYTHING HAD TO BE A HUGE ASS PUZZLE WITH THAT GAME
>>
>>332396728
That's why I prefer Seasons, to be honest famerican
>>
>>332395617
I got stuck on that last form because I was too retarded to realize Ramrock doesn't hurt you if you touch his arms.

I miss when Zelda puzzles could actually stump me.
>>
>>332396964
Probably because you're older now and the puzzles aren't as difficult to you.
>>
>>332392345
In the multitude of boss fights, floating hands and heads are the least of your concern.
There's the overused dragon bosses, there's also the overused full self-healing bosses.

My point is, maybe the kind of game you like don't have bosses at all, and for that, I recommend you play Gone Home
>>
>>332392141
Hello Majora.
>>
I like them.
>>
>>332391746
In moonlord's defense, it's actually a legitimately hard boss if you remove cheese.
>>
>>332392658
Nier has all kinds of shitty half assed tropes, from text adventure to fixed camera angles for no reason.
>>
>>332396654
>>Overused
>No, they don't appear that often, and almost exclusively in GOAT gaames
There are 20 examples ITT. Yes, I understand that 20 bosses is a small number to 8000 other bosses, but there's more than just these 20 bosses and they just aren't a creative premise by design.
>>Simple
>Simplicity isn't bad
It isn't really, but my problem is when there's an end-game or final boss that's just a pair of hands and a head. If I were in the early game, I wouldn't have a problem because I don't expect much from an early boss, but when I'm fighting one of the strongest enemies in the game or the final obstacle in my adventure, I expect more than some flying head with hands, I expect a threatening being of some kind, not a monkey face with big hands or a fat clown that punches you.
>>Lazy
>Are you fucking kidding me with that shit?
Are YOU fucking kidding me with this shit? These types of bosses can be made by a two year old, they take minimal effort to design. Here's a three step process to making the boss:
>Step 1
>Design a head and a hand, clone the hand, maybe put in a body that stands in the background to make it stand out
>Step 2
>Design its attacks; slam fist into ground, shoot or summon projectiles, punch with fist, fire a laser beam or summon some fire, slam fist into ground again
>Step 3
>Add something unique! Maybe add a puzzle element, or give it FOUR hands!
When a game goes above the standard and actually puts effort into these bosses, then I have no problem with them doing so. Give them a puzzle element like in Zelda, or break the fight up with some minion fighting between phases, that helps break them from the norm for a bit, but the boss is still a floating head and hands and that's such a basic and boring boss to fight. I don't want to fight some face hiding in the shadows as a background sprite or some big head floating in an empty arena, especially if it's a final boss. It's boring and not creative.
>>
>>332397114
That would be true if it were a Zelda game other than Ages. No, Oracle of Ages loves to shove its mystery seeds up your ass without permission. Every step of the way is you trying to get a raging clue so you can get to the next leg of the game.
>Invisible floors with the only map being some cryptic bullshit
>Mandatory stop n swop trading quest with all of your items at the stake
>Barbie mermaid adventure with time travel fuckery
>Use every single fucking seed in the game in this one place
>The fuckhuge staircase labyrinth in the final dungeon
>Good luck figuring out what you're supposed to use against the final boss because we only mention the specific item once in the entire game during one line of dialogue hidden away near the half-way point
There are games that have sections in it to try and sell you strategy guides and then there's this game
>>
>>332391746
They're not always a problem, only when they function like "head floats in background while you have to dodge attacks from hands while waiting for chance to attack it".
Complaining about bosses like the one in Wind Waker or Chrono Trigger is silly because the heads are active part of the fight all the way through.
>>
>>332391746
>These need to stop.

they fucking have
when was the last time you saw one of these guys in a game?
>>
>>332391746
What's the bottom middle guy from? Seen it before but dont remember
>>
>>332398430
Balore, Aria of Sorrow. Easy to cheese with Medusa Head soul.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.