[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All shall hear the words of Karras...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: the words of karras...jpg (155 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the words of karras...jpg
155 KB, 1024x768
All shall hear the words of Karras...
>>
>>332380847
RIP, Looking Glass. ;_;7
>>
>>332380847
>I have heard.... I do not know
>>
File: karras.png (81 KB, 249x500) Image search: [Google]
karras.png
81 KB, 249x500
Why is Thief 2 the only good stealth game? Why are most stealth game "hardcore shooty gun man simualtors" instead of environment-driven rummaging simulators?

Are there any good fan campaigns for Thief 2 besides T2X?
>>
>>332382309
Styx is a stealth game.
It's pretty fucking divisive though, from "meh" to "pretty enjoyable".
>>
>>332382727
Yeah but it's 3rd person and looks gimmicky as fuck. Not to mention it's not a rummaging simulator as far as I know, and I haven't seen any evidence of the narrative style being comparable to Thief with environmental details being the real meat of the story telling. Am I mistaken?

I honestly was turned off pretty hard when I saw the spells and stuff like setting poison traps in the wells for guards. That stuff just seems to undermine the stealth fundamentals that make Thief so good instead of adding to the element of toying with the AI (which I'm sure was the developer's intention.)
>>
>>332382309
>Why is Thief 2 the only good stealth game?
The Dark Project was better.
>>
>>332383310
I was thoroughly turned off by all the combat and platforming. Couldn't even get through it and I've played through TMA 5 times since getting it for Christmas.
>>
I'm playing Thief 1 for the first time but I'm too casual for this shit, and I was expecting more heists and less zombies and lizards in caves. Guards seem to randomly be immune to being knocked out with the blackjack from behind, and if I get detected and try to fight them nonlethally, even if I dodge every single one of their attacks it still takes like a good 10-15 hits or more before they pass out while I'm chasing them down the hallway beating the shit out of them before they can get to reinforcements. Rope arrows don't seem to ever attach to anything I need them to and sometimes if I shoot them up they just disappear through the fucking wall, noisemakers have jack shit for radius and are basically useless, and god it's hard to tell sometimes whether a waist-high wall will actually conceal you when crouched or not

Am I missing out on a whole lot if I skip to 2 or 3 here?
>>
>>332383881
>I'm playing Thief 1
>I was expecting more heists and less zombies and lizards in caves.
My sentiments exactly.

>Guards seem to randomly be immune to being knocked out with the blackjack from behind, and if I get detected and try to fight them nonlethally, even if I dodge every single one of their attacks it still takes like a good 10-15 hits or more before they pass out while I'm chasing them down the hallway beating the shit out of them before they can get to reinforcements.
You should be running and hiding instead. Some of the most fun in Thief comes from when every guard in the joint is of heightened awareness. I'm not that familiar with T1 but guards definitely seem to react more to noisemakers in T2 when they're fuckin' spooked too.

>Am I missing out on a whole lot if I skip to 2 or 3 here?
OP/>>332383541 here. I personally recommend you jump right into the masterfully crafted world of Thief 2. Like, right now.
>>
Why was Thief 2 so great while Thief 1 is complete fucking dogshit? Is it a rare case of devs learning from their mistakes?
>>
>>332383541

>Combat
>Thief 1

You don't have to fight much, just run past zombies and spiders, and the platforming is great.

Honestly Thief 2 is a better stealth game than Thief 1 but I think Thief 1 is a better game overall because the level design is much more unique and interesting. Thief 1 is a god tier explorer simulator. But like 3 of the 4 actual stealth based missions in Thief 1 are broken as fuck though. Only Assassin's is good.
>>
>>332384330

You are a fucking idiot. 1 is better than 2. But Thief 1 wasn't even meant to be a stealth game. Only very late in development they decided to make it a stealth title. Thief 1 was basically a prototype of the stealth genre because there were no big stealth games beforehand. It helped forge the way to make stealth a fucking thing, Thief 1, MGS and Tenchu were the founders of the genre.

In Thief 2 they realized the stealth could be expanded so much more, and built it from the ground up to be about stealth.
>>
File: Thief Fan Missions.jpg (4 MB, 1400x4537) Image search: [Google]
Thief Fan Missions.jpg
4 MB, 1400x4537
>>332383881

Don't listen to this faggot >>332384251 Finish off Thief 1 but know that the few stealth levels are broken. Play it as an exploration game that it was originally meant to be. Most levels in the game are about getting lost in a labyrinth and just exploring these fuck huge dense detailed levels. You can completely ignore all the zombies and monsters if you want, pretty much everything but Hammer Haunts and Spirits will forget about you within seconds, and they are almost blind and deaf anyways. Anyways Theif 1 has much better story, level design and atmosphere than 2, so you are missing out on a lot, 2 improved the stealth mechanics though for sure.

Rope Arrows only attach to wooden surfaces. They aren't going to go into metal. I don't know how far you are shooting the noisemakers away from the guards but they should be causing a distraction. Do you have TFix installed?

Also with your blackjack, it only knocks them out if they are unaware of you. If they know you are there it wont do anything. You should have picked up on this with the guards insulting comments towards you when you use it in a fight. Also you are playing on highest difficulty right?

Basically Thief 1 is spooky explorer with a tiny bit of stealth sprinkled about. Thief 2 is full blown stealth, pulling of heists and robbing mansions, with just a sprinkling of spooky.
>>
>>332385981
I respect your opinion but I personally disagree.

>the level design is much more unique and interesting.
Man, Thief 2 easily has some of my favorite level design ever. Warehouse is such an amazing level because it's so relatively complex while being so easy to understand. The way that it introduces you to so many facets of the city is just flawless narrative design. From the sort-of detached inventor aiding the Mechanists to the downtrodden Hammerite who needs only half his normal order to the pirates peddling spice (and their clients!) even down to lowly "beef" salesmen and petty gamblers, Warehouse is just such a perfect introduction to the populace of Dayport. But it isn't just a sound story introduction, either! Warehouse is chock full of badass shortcuts and depth even in its "bland" and "uninteresting" rectangular design. I can dig what you're saying if you really just preferred raiding tombs and shit, but I found it so much more interesting to be involved in the more grounded environments as churches, mansions, rooftops and even the brutalist nightmare cult complex that is Angelwatch. It isn't like the environments in TMA are lacking complexity or even variety.

>Thief 1 is a god tier explorer simulator.
I don't want to be fucking Indiana Jones, I want to be a master thief. I want to eavesdrop on the Rothchilds and steal wedding rings from nobles that haven't proposed yet. Fuck crypts and burrick caves, give me a police station and an order to frame the corrupt sheriff!
>>
>>332386682
>>332387192
Like I said, I can see your angle, but I really just can't agree with your opinion that TDP is a better game than TMA. You even admit yourself that so many of the stealth missions are broken! Meanwhile, TMA is pretty much perfect mission after perfect mission. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have anything other than superficial reasons for preferring TDP- your argument that TDP has better level design is bunk in my opinion, because as far as I can tell TMA levels are just as complex and deep, just less confusing.

Oh, and as a final tag-on, I strongly preferred the atmosphere of TMA to what I played of TDP. I just couldn't get myself into the world of TDP. The spookiness you speak of felt so goofy to me, and I was more put off by the initial showings of the god damn robots pictured in the OP image than by any of the ghosts, burricks or "sp00ky" tombs in what I played of TDP.
>>
Is The Dark Mod any good? Any decent fanmade missions for it or anything? Trying to figure whether it's worth installing
>>
>>332387192
>>332387332

It's rare to talk to a Thief fan that doesn't like one of the games. Usually everyone has a favorite, mostly Thief 2 but everyone enjoys the others as well. I like Thief 2 a lot I just prefer 1 over it.

I went into TDP expecting mansion robbing and was taken aback by it's sudden change in direction in the second level. But I realized I liked it more. Then I went into TMA expecting more of TDP, and ended up getting what I originally wanted, a thievery simulator, but realized that while I liked that, I actually preferred the dark Indiana Jones feeling of TDP over it. It was a weird expectations switch around.

Shipping and Retrieving is a good level, and sets up story brilliantly, but even as you admit, it's so architecturally bland for the most part and artistically boring. I much preferred stuff like The Sword, Down in the Bonehoard, The Lost City and The Haunted Cathedral from TDP. Though Angelwatch in TMA felt very labyrinthine and even if it's art was brutalistic and disjointed I had a lot of fun exploring that place.

Life of the Party, Trail of Blood and Kidnap were the only TMA levels that I thought where up to the standards of TDP in terms of really good exploration that kept you hooked and made you want to explore these vast areas. Precious Cargo was actually good as well now that I think of it.

Also Karras's Robots where initially spooky when you first see them in Eavesdropping but after a while they become humorous because of their constant chatter with Karras's lispy voice. Hammer Haunts and Hammerite Spirits had such a chilling sound to them when they spoke.

Basically, if you like a much darker version of Indiana Jones explorer sim, you will prefer TDP, if you want pure stealth with light steampunk aspects you will prefer TMA. I can see why people prefer one title over another, but as I said it's rare to love one and hate the other. I like them both for what they are.
>>
This thread is weird

people are discussing their opinions of the games they like and offering details and explanations and not actively calling each other cucks and shitters

what's wrong with you
>>
File: Thief Fan mission 2.png (1 MB, 1269x1122) Image search: [Google]
Thief Fan mission 2.png
1 MB, 1269x1122
>>332388647

Welcome to Thief threads friend.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.