[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate them.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (282 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
282 KB, 1920x1080
Rate them.
>>
>>332367956
Oblivion>Morrowind
>>
File: 1432525601125.jpg (113 KB, 1024x729) Image search: [Google]
1432525601125.jpg
113 KB, 1024x729
>>332367956
8.5, 7, and 6 out of 10.

>>332368029
no
>>
Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion

I like Oblivion but the copy paste dungeons completely killed it for me. At least skyrim had some variation even tho they all looped back to the start.
>>
File: 1451959025414.jpg (195 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
1451959025414.jpg
195 KB, 500x749
A-
C+
D

You didn't ask, but Arena is D- and Daggerfall B
>>
>>332367956
im going to something irrational: rate them in a way that actually represents what they're good. All ratings are modded btw.

Morrowind
>Questing
7/10
>Dungeon Crawling
9/10
>World exploration/immersion
9/10

Oblivion
>questing
9/10
>Dungeon Crawling
7/10
>World Exploration/immersion
8/10 (I'm including the comfy as fuck cities and the excellent and varied architecture design as well as the amount of quests and time spent in cities as well)

Skyrim
>questing
3/10
>Dungeon Crawling
7/10 (dragonreach is neat, everything else is garbage apart from the first time you go through a dwemer ruin)
>world exploration/immersion
6/10 (Opposite problem with Oblivion; outside world design is very nice but the cities are all hot garbage in design, character, and role playing experience

my favorite is Oblivion because dungeon crawling aint my thing, I LOVE the quests, and it has my favorite gameplay of the series
>>
>>332367956
>guaranteed replies
>>
>>332367956
>TES started with Morrowind!
>>
>>332370228
The first two games were shitty dungeon crawlers. Modern Elder Scrolls started with Morrowind.
>>
>>332367956
>didn't play, didn't play, meh got boring fast.
>>
>>332367956
Babby's first RPG trilogy
>>
>>332367956
Morrowind is the best. Everything else is shit.
>>
Oblivion>Morrowind>Skyrim

I tried to get into Morrowind more than I did, but it just didn't appeal to me.
>>
Morrowind is patrician perfection
Oblivion is a step down in complexity but still retains some of the charm and the guilds were the best
Skyrim is the worst of the lot and takes a trend that started with Oblivion too far and has awful writing, characters and mechanics.
>>
1. Morrowind for its all around good atmosphere, immersion, setting, dungeons, quests etc.
2. Skyrim for its immersion/atmosphere, magic, but i hated that it took magic + 2handers away.
3. Oblivion because for some god damn reason, while it very likely is better than Skyrim, I could not get hooked to it.
>>
File: pfp TES.png (643 KB, 1355x791) Image search: [Google]
pfp TES.png
643 KB, 1355x791
>>
File: EYE'M PISSED.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
EYE'M PISSED.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>morrowind has the best rpg mechanics and thus combat
>looks terrible and mods can't fix it because low poly, also personally I don't like the look of the armor designs

>oblivion has some excellent quests, probably some of the best in all the series
>looks like potato, mods can't fix it from looking like shit even worse than Morrowind does, combat is also only better than Arena's combat, it just fucking sucks because of the level scaling

>skyrim looks good, great with a few mods, especially stuff to give it some actual color since everything is generally washed out and dirty
>basically not an RPG it's so barebones and the non DLC quests are shit, especially the Thieve's Guild quest, fucking garbo holy shit

>mods make morrowind better
>mods make oblivion pretty great since they can get rid of level scaling and make it more visceral and deadly
>mods can't really fix Skyrim's combat because it's so shallow, either you make it a get hit and yer ded like Deadly Combat or you just make the level scaling not completely retarded with Ultimate Combat, but combat is still simplistic and has no real depth to it since there's no actual stats to anything except for damage, health, damage reduction
>all perks do is increase/decrease damage, health, or damage reduction

Skyrim's graphics in Oblivion's engine would be a really great game once modded. Morrowind with Skyrim's graphics would be orgasmic.
Elder Scrolls 6 is gonna be Skyrim 2 at best but more than likely even worse.
>>
File: Morrowind art 04.jpg (1 MB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind art 04.jpg
1 MB, 848x1200
>>332367956
Alright faggots coming through with the cold hard truths. Step aside.

TOP:
Morrowind's world and design ethos
Oblivion's quest quality
Skyrim's graphic fidelity

WURST:
The bulk of Morrowind's actual quests
Oblivion's world design and leveled loot/enemies
Skyrim took both of these and thought it was worth replicating in one game.
>>
ob>mw>sk
>>
Dumb, dumb and dumber.
>>
>>332367956
>Morrowind
You don't 'rate' literature.
>Oblivion
7.5/10
>Skyrim
Haven't played it much, but from what I saw it was probably lower than Oblivion.
>>
>Morrowind
Fantastical and immersive setting. Copy pasted dungeons. Rather poor combat. Good music that does become somewhat repetitive.
Very, very easy to break in half. Expansions are mediocre.
6.5/10
Mods do not fix the combat system.

>Oblivion
Comfortable, pleasant setting. Dungeons are not quite copy pasted but still too similar. Combat is fine, enjoyable even. Amazing music that never grows old.
Vanilla level scaling is a bitch. Shivering Isles is great, but the rest of the DLCs? Poor.
7/10
Mods are high quality and the most numerous. Every gripe can be fixed, but actually modding the game is a hellish nightmare.

>Skyrim
Setting seems somewhat off. Dungeons are generally unique in some way. Combat is fine, enjoyable. Subdued and unmemorable music.
Brings many improvements to the series, but also cuts down features.
Easy to break in half. Expansions are fairly good.
7/10
Mods are easy to install and rather stable. High quality mods are common, but dungeons and quest line mods are uncommon, leaving you with a fun game with nothing to do.
>>
>Morrowind
Bad
>Oblivion
Bad
>Skyrim
Didn't play
>>
>>332371760
>>morrowind has the best rpg mechanics and thus combat
wew lad
>>
I thought Oblivion was the worst. The atmosphere of the world is terrible. It's way too colorful and cheery. Even when horrible shit happens in the dark brother hood everyone is smiling around Lucien's mangled dead body looking cheery.
The darker worlds of Morrowind and skyrim are much better to explore.
>>
File: 1440786035681.jpg (21 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1440786035681.jpg
21 KB, 250x250
>>332367956
ESO>Skyrim>Oblivion>Daggerfall>Morrowind
>>
>>332376613
Here's your (you).
>>
File: HAVE.png (221 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
HAVE.png
221 KB, 480x480
https://youtu.be/qN80_7rNmcE
>>
>>332375607
In Morrowind you're playing a traditional rpg with dice rolls and stats that actually matter all in a neat little visual representation.
That's good. Enemies also have static levels, once you're strong enough to beat an enemy you're strong enough.
Oblivion has fucking awful combat. Stats matter, except that everything scales to you hard so combat is just wacking a guy for 15 damage while he wacks you for 15 damage while you both have 300 health.

Skyrim casualized combat to fuck, and although it's better than Oblivion since the level scaling isn't as ridiculous, it's still pretty bad and ultimately braindead. Especially since Elder Scrolls has the whole oh no I'm low on HP better pause and use 4 of my 275 potions to heal.
>>
>>332376823
HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE HIGH ELVES
>>
>>332371760
>morrowind looks better than Oblivion

No. Morrowind looked shit even for its time, and the models are all horrendously bad, and that's without getting into the clothes or animations themselves, or the myriad other issues with it.

Oblivion just looks a bit plastic really, and it has been fixed by mods to a large degee.

>morrowind has the best rpg mechanics and thus combat

Are you memeing? Morrowind has pretty okay rpg elements (they're not incredible, but they're the best in the series), but that doesn't equal great combat at all, the combat sucked.
>>
>>332368152
this.
>>
Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion
I like the Morrowind leveling, but Oblivions overzealous level scaling ruined all fun I was having quickly.
Skyrims leveling is nice for a wandering playstyle since you don't have to plan out fucking grinding times so you avoid wasting a level completely.
>>
>>332367956
They're all okay first time through but looking back they're all garbage. Bethesda doesn't make good games.
>>
Quest wise?
Oblivion > Morrowind > Skyrim
Gameplay wise?
Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind
Writing wise?
Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion

Daggerfall still the best overall.
>>
Morrowind was a great step up for its time.

The problem with Oblivion and Skyrim is that they're both just Morrowind with an attempt at more polish... they never fix any of the inherent issues standing in the way of being a truly immersive experience (mostly because of fucking GAMEBRYO). The same problems of lifeless npcs, static feeling worlds, incredibly simplistic gameplay, and general lack of interactivity with almost anything holds the series back.

Due to the lack of actual evolution your attention is drawn instead to the area that has undeniably diminished: the writing.

People clamour for Blackmarsh but be honest. All you'd get is the exact same fucking game the 4th time round. Only this time the landscape will consist of nothing but bowl shaped pools with waist deep water everywhere. It'll be EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME.
>>
File: 1432486288150.jpg (148 KB, 420x525) Image search: [Google]
1432486288150.jpg
148 KB, 420x525
>>332367956
>Morrowind
+Story
+Lore
+Environment/Aesthetics
-Gameplay
-Graphics
Solid 8/10. Fun, unique, but flawed game.
>Oblivion
+Environment/Aesthetics
+Quest lines
+Shivering Isles
-Gameplay
-Main Story
-Graphics
7.5/10, a decent sequel to Morrowind. Enhances many areas but is still very flawed.
>Skyrim
+Gameplay
+Graphics
-Story
-Quests
-Dungeons
-Lore Rape
About 5/10. Fun for a few hours, gets rapidly stale.

I personally enjoyed Oblivion the most (I played Morrowind first, but I didn't get into it the same way as I did Oblivion), but these are my objective feelings.
>>
>>332367956
Morrowing - 9/10
Oblivion 2/10
Skyrim - 7/10
>>
>>332377851
ARGH
>>
Oblivion>Morrowind>>Skyrim
Oblivion is heavily flawed but the quests are god tier
>>
>>332380287
>no mention of Oblivion's lore rape while mentioning Skyrim's
You are retarded
>>
>>332380287
>oblivion marked down for its main story

But the main story was great, you're just an imperial agent helping the chosen one, which is much better than "You're our only hope because of your super special powers/being chosen by a deity". There's spy hunts that actually need to be investigated, going to paradise, finding the cult, getting attacked by mythic dawn members randomly, lots of great stuff.

The gates were annoying, but you only have to actually do like 5, you can just avoid the rest, unlike dragons.

Graphics are kind of crap and gameplay is just serviceable, it's not noticeably bad, but it's nothing groundbreaking.
>>
>>332380563
Oblivion's leveling system renders it almost unplayable without mods.
>>
>>332367956
Gameplay
morrowind>oblivion>skyrim

Sex mods
skyrim>oblivion>morrowind
>>
>>332380735
The only lore Oblivion raped was based off of one book, it's really not enough to be anything serious. They always change up the way the lands you visit end up being compared to that described in the books in game.

>>332380958
Not really, it's only an issue if you spend 5 levels only working on non-combat skills, or on skills you're not actually planning on ever using. Play to your class, and have an armor and attack skill, and you'll be fine.
>>
File: HIVFoB5.png (272 KB, 1280x731) Image search: [Google]
HIVFoB5.png
272 KB, 1280x731
>>332380735
Oblivion was lore rapey, but I felt that a lot of it was justified.

I like Cyrodiil as a comfy forest rather than a jungle (which already exsist in Tamriel in Black Marsh, the Southern portion of Elsweyr, and in parts of Valenwood, Morrowind, and the Summerset isles.)

Oblivion was kinda bad about it, Skyrim was downright godawful.

>>332380879
>Main story
This is ENTIRELY my opinion; but I don't play RPG's to be just some random mook doing missions for whoever. I don't want to play through the game so someone else can steal all the glory. I suppose Oblivions story is okay (it's certainly better than Skyrim's abortion of a main plot), but it just didn't really have much meaning for me.
>>
>>332367956

All absolute shit.

I hate Morrowind specifically because of the massive nostalgia goggles it gets. At least Oblivion and Skyrim are judged fairly as shit.

The truth is that TES has always been a shallow dead world. The only people who like the series are autists who can self-generate the imagination to fill in the dead world.
>>
>>332381171
Hating something because other people enjoy it is pretty retarded.
>>
File: rats.jpg (95 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
rats.jpg
95 KB, 500x375
>>332367956
Which one of theese had better Quest system? Tried playing Morrowind back in the day, but got bored of its fetch questing and rat killing.

Are Oblivion and Skyrim any better?
>>
Morrowind: A
Oblivion: Couldn't get into it enough to give it a rating.
Skyrim: B-
>>
>>332367956
>Morrowind
Best spell making
Best combat
Best world design
-Tiny ass shitty dungeons

>Oblivion
Best dungeon diving
Best guild questlines
-boring as fuck

>Skyrim
-Smaller than Oblivion
-Shitty linear dungeons
-Removed spellmaking
Best waifu modding scene
>>
>>332381089
I don't play RPG's to be just some random mook doing missions for whoever.

I mean, you're not a random mook, you are important, you're just not the chosen one or any shit like that, you're just a really powerful individual in the land. I kind of thought it was a good twist, compared to every other RPG just makes you somehow more important than literally everything else in the setting, it was nice to get one where you're not the center of the plot.

I can get why you'd not like it, but I kind of think that ignoring that you're not the chosen one, the story was pretty good, and the quests were all pretty fun, so I don't think it's fair to mark it down because you dislike a plot point.

But yeah, holy shit Skyrim had a bad main quest, nothing you did had any fucking impact at all. At least in Oblivion when you finish the story and supposedly end the threat, the gates all close, as opposed to in Skyrim where not only do the dragons keep coming with no actual slowdown, they end up getting stronger assuming you level, yet everyone acts like it's no big deal.
>>
>>332378509
When I say Morrowind combat was the best that's relative only to Oblivion and Skyrim. And mostly because both of those have trash combat.
Skyrim is simplistic hit thing watch cutscene hooray.
Oblivion is play wack a mole for 5 minutes to this bandit in Daedric armor.
>>
File: 1347651834539.gif (1 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1347651834539.gif
1 MB, 256x192
>>332381951
I guess I can see your point.

I've never thought about Oblivion's main quest like that before, and I think you might actually be right. That is kind of a cool way of thinking about it.

Hmm, I think it's time to reinstall Oblivion.
>>
>>332382415
Yeah, it's definitely easy to just feel like you're not getting respected for it, but I just always found that kind of fun, you do end up Champion of Cyrodiil, but it was nice to let someone else be the big deal character for once. Nehrim did a similar thing for a lot of the plot too, though it fell prey to the whole "you're the chosen one" thing a bit at the end as well.

Have fun with your replay anon, I've been running through it recently, and it holds up pretty damn well.
>>
File: 1444780025784.png (39 KB, 151x232) Image search: [Google]
1444780025784.png
39 KB, 151x232
Oblivion is a travesty of game design. Every single game mechanic is fundamentally broken in some way. Consider just level scaling alone: it means your character grows proportionally weaker as you gain levels. It fills the world with daedric armor-wearing bandits and 1000-HP mudcrabs. It makes all unique items gained from quests useless, as they also scale to your level at the moment you completed the quest. Just this one single mechanic irreversibly fucks up your character, the gameworld and the itemization.
Add to this dumbed down mechanics(AKA muh spears), Disneyworld game design, terrible console-first menu and inventory design, terrible quest design, terrible guilds(they're all just linear series of quests which can all be completed simultaneously, without any interplay between them, as in Morrowind), terrible stealth which makes you invisible to everyone simply by crouching in front of them, terrible dialogs, terrible character models, terrible lockpicking& persuasion minigames, terrible writing...
Pretty much one of the worst game of all time.

Also, let's dispel this notion that Oblivion quests are good. They are not good. 95% of them consist of running around in circles and hitting things with your sword. There would maybe be some exotic, terribly written reason for you to run in circles and hit things with your sword, which is apparently enough for neo-/v/ to proclaim these the best quests ever.
In fact, the only reason that the mediocre DB questline is so highly regarded is that it breaks the monotony of running in circles and hitting things with your sword. There's still no branching, no meaningful consequences, not a single skill or stat check in the entire questline- these are not good quests.
The only people who would find Oblivion better than Morrowind are the <20y.o. XBox kiddies who played Oblivion before they would know any better. It is the ultimate nostalgia-goggles game. And I'm not even particularly fond of Morrowind.
>>
>>332382840
Is this whole level-scaling BS also in Skryim?
>>
>>332383067
Dunno, never bothered to actually play that one. I hear that it's still there, but not as full-retard as it was in Oblivion.
>>
>>332383067
It's in all three of the latest TES games. Morrowind just fucked it up extremely bad. Morrowind is the only one without retarded leveled rewards.
>>
>>332383223
Yeah actually read something about it, the way they handled it in Sky seems fairly apropiate.
>>
>>332383364
>Oblivion* just fucked it up extremely bad
i fucked that up pretty bad
>>
>Morrowind
Never played, so no useful opinion/insight

>Oblivion
+ Good story
+ Spellmaking
+ Decent guild storylines
- Dungeons looked the same. Just slightly revised paths
- Armor and stats didn't seem to matter much
- Enemies having ridiculously amazing gear eg bandits being in glass armor/using daedric weapons
>Skyrim
+ "updated" graphics
+ Dragons
+ Dungeons had varying difficulties
- Boring story
- Redguards aren't bad guys who rob people and deal in skooma
- Dungeons styles worse than Oblivion, underground tombs or frozen caves.
>>
>>332367956
everyone thinks the one that they played when they were 14 is the best. I think oblivion is the best
>>
>>332383449
>Oblivion
>+ Good story
Oh come on
>>
>>332383615
Good enough for a fantasy game. Sorry you don't like it
>>
>>332382650
Well, you're the Champion of Cyrodiil and also Sheogorath.
>>
>>332384175
Yeah, Sheogorath is kind of weird though, you're only sort of him. Like, he's still him, and reverts back to just talking like and looking like the normal Sheogorath, you just fill in as him, while also being him for a bit, it's kind of complex.

>>332382840
Is this pasta? Because easily 80% of the quests in Oblivion were more than just "go here kill thing", to the point where quests that just send you to a cave to get crap are less common than the others. There's caves involved, but it's more than just "Fetch me the thing from the place".

this just reads like a pasta honestly, you've made a lot of assertions, but most aren't really that true, or aren't backed up by anything.
>>
>>332367956
>i have no taste general
>>
>>332382840
thank you based anon i'm crying
im fucking cryiing
>>332384564
if you thought the background for the quest was passable narrative then sure but they weren't

the only interesting quest was thief guild
>>
>>332383530
I didn't play any of them until a few years ago. Morrowind and Daggerfall are still the best ones.
>>
>>332383530
This is fairly accurate. Was 12 when I played Morrowind and it's still my fav.
>>
File: 1457063215651.jpg (36 KB, 338x476) Image search: [Google]
1457063215651.jpg
36 KB, 338x476
>>332376823
funniest video i've watched in months
>>
Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind
>>
File: 1336901366681.jpg (71 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
1336901366681.jpg
71 KB, 300x297
>Discussing vanilla TES games

"Level scaling is totally an issue guys, nevermind that it was fixed by 6 separate people"
>>
>>332367956
Daggerfall 7.5/10
Morrowind 9.5/10
Oblivion 8/10
Skyrim 6/10
>>
>>332367956
skyrim 9/10

still play it, gorgeous setting, fun

oblivion 9/10

looks like someone drew everything with a big fat crayon then put a stocking over the filter, heaps of content, fun to play

morrowind 3/10

aged horribly, ugly as fuck, loads of content but eyes bleed looking at graphics, shit combat
>>
>>332367956
Without Nostalgia goggles,

>Morrowind 8/10
>Oblivion 7/10
>Skyrim 9/10
>>
Story and atmosphere: Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion

Game design: Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind

Enjoyment: Oblivion > Morrowind > Skyrim
>>
Did the player got raped by Lucien?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.