[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
White Tanooki Mario and the Super Guide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (229 KB, 584x612) Image search: [Google]
image.png
229 KB, 584x612
Who are these "features" intended for, exactly? Are kids today so helpless that they feel entitled to win every game they buy with no effort on their part? What sense of accomplishment can they derive from a game they can't lose? Aside from losing dignity and confidence in your own abilities?
>>
Wow, good questions, I never thought about or realized any of these things, nor have I ever seen someone express opinions similar to your own.
>>
these millennials dont know the meaning of hard work!
>>
honestly who gives a shit. they dont make you use it, and it helps little kids who would be helpless without it.

>BUT I NEVER NEEDED IT WHEN I WAS A KID

cool not everyone is gifted at vidya like you
>>
>>332342889
I've never understood who they're for either. Games in the 80s and 90s were also made for children, and they were adequately difficult (and occasionally, unfairly difficult), but there's no way kids nowadays are worse at video games than we were when we were kids, since they've been exposed to technology at a far younger age.
>>
>>332343456
they just want to appeal to more than the typical gamer crowd.

most people who dont play vidya much cant even handle games like the original marios
>>
Mario died with the Pwings. prove me wrong
>>
Why does this shit trigger /v/ so much? It's entirely optional and you won't even know it exists unless you're sucking at a game.

It's there so kids/casuals don't get stuck on a level and can't experience the full game they paid money for.
>>
File: Yplh18u.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
Yplh18u.png
26 KB, 527x409
>how dare kids use cheat codes
>kids in my generation never sought to make games easier
>nope, never

Proceed to killing yourself
>>
>>332343719
Powerwings were fairly rare and you wern't invincible.

The game also penalized you by playing that annoying tweeting aound the whole fucking level.
>>
>>332343671
Nintendo's target audience is the same one they had for the NES.
>>
>>332343456
Games in the 80s and 90s were made for children. Games now are made for adults. Children are better than adults at video games.
>>
>>332342889
It's meant for faggots like you to cry and moan about optional features.
>>
It's for actual little kids. Like, toddlers.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
You do realize they only help with enemies

That shit doesn't save them from fall/lava/time right? Just enemies

3D World especially is very heavy on Platforming that it doesn't fucking help

It's not a win button

You want to complain about a win button, talk about the fucking P-Wing that appears in 3D Land and takes them to the fucking goal
>>
File: 1456362004834.jpg (30 KB, 600x428) Image search: [Google]
1456362004834.jpg
30 KB, 600x428
>>332346570
>You want to complain about a win button, talk about the fucking P-Wing that appears in 3D Land and takes them to the fucking goal
This is a real thing?? Wow.
>>
>>332342889
Reminder that manchildren are not the intended audience for nintendo products and is fact, actually children trying to have fun with a game that might not be good at a game
>>
>people who are stuck in a level can advance instead of dropping the game
>people with some sort of injury can advance on parts that would be physically impossible otherwise
>retards like OP don't die before collecting the first coin
>reviewers don't die before collection the first coin
>>
>>332342889
yes children are after all the touch screen games that literally you pay to move forward if it's too hard.
>>
>>332342889
>Who are these "features" intended for, exactly
Retards and dumb ass kids who can't be bothered.
The "feature" is harmless at worst though. Not sure why it needs to exist but it doesn't really affect anything.
>>
>>332343456

Games were more difficult to make up for the lack of length.
>>
>>332346809
>This is a real thing?
It is. IIRC though it only appears after you lose 10 or 15 lives on the same level, so it's as or even more rare than the ones in Mario 3 if the player has any sort of competence. Both the Leaf and the Wing stop appearing in the Special Worlds, so you can only have any chance of seeing them for half of the game.
>>
>>332343456
Attention spans are shit nowadays.
Most people here are exceptions, but many folks can't focus on something for longer than 20 seconds. Kids have it worse these days precisely because they've been raised with all the cool shit.
>>
>>332344069
This. They took away cheat codes, so now kid games have a "you suck, here's a free pass" mode. And its fine.
>>
>>332342889
I was home for the holidays and my little brother and cousin were playing 3D World
they purposefully killed themselves to get the white suit.
When I joined in I refused to kill myself for the suit and then they began getting mad and kept trying to throw me off

In short
The suit is fucking cancer.
>>
I guess nintendo saw all those kids using Gameshark to make mario jump forever or give themselves level 100 pokemon and thought "I guess that's what kids want"
>>
>>332343819
Because the "standard" difficulty of the game loses meaning. There's no longer a wild challenging world you have to face and beat, only a self-imposed difficulty, which feels pointless. The same applies to games in which the ONLY significant difficulty is in getting every collectible.

How can that be so hard to understand?
>>
>>332351662
Yeah, I was playing 3D World the other day and a neighbor kid asked if he can come in. He told me he already played this game and that he is a master on it. Then he asked me if I knew the "trick" to be invincible. He killed himself a few times to get the invincible suit.
I let him play but told him to not save.
>>
>>332352535
It's not like easy modes or cheat codes are something new.
With that logic, the standard difficulty has always been self imposed.
>>
>>332353108
before then, you had to go out of your way to make the game easy.

Now, the game just gives you the easiness. The kid thinks the easy mode is the way its "supposed" to be.

Does that make sense?

>>332352960
Do your neighbor's kids just come by regularly
>>
>>332353823
>you had to go out of your way to make the game easy.
And you still do. You gotta die 15 or so times to make it come up.

Sometimes it was less work, you just choose the easy difficulty from the menu.
>>
>>332353823
No, but he was playing outside and recognized the music. This is not a dangerous neighborhood, we all know each other here.
>>
>>332353108
Choosing ONCE at the beginning of the game is totally different. The game is not offering you every time you hit a roadblock that an easy way out. The same applies even to cheat codes, which still are "cheating", hidden, and you have to actively look for them or execute them, and in specific instances.

The best option is to let you decide ONCE at the beginning of the game, and leave you to your decision. Ideally, the easy mode should be presented as something undesirable.
>>
>>332354234
There is a HUGE difference between choosing the easy difficulty and beating levels with action replay tier cheats.

I think you only have to die like 8 times, and on some levels that's not difficult to reach.
>>
I'm guessing DMC3 is babby shit because it offers you easy difficulty if you die multiple times in the first 3 chapters
>>
>>332353108
There's also a great difference between allowing for a cheat code, and presenting you the "walk in the park" option as an integral part of the game design (in the form of characters, power ups, weapons, etc).
>>
>>332342889
What's ridiculous is how easy the games are even without them.

3DW was insultingly easy, to the point where I didn't feel there was any challenge at all until the last 3 levels, and only then if you deprive yourself of powerups and using OP characters like Rosalina.

Why make a game stupidly easy AND THEN throw a way to still cheat it? It seems like the super guide should enable them to make the game fucking harder, because then they know they're not excluding anyone by making it too difficult

I'm getting really sick of your shit, Nintendo. The games just aren't fun anymore when they're made for literal 3 year olds.
>>
>>332354803
This.
>>
>>332354480
That's retarded though. If little Billy Braindead is starting up a game, they're not likely to pick babby casual mode even if they're shit at videogames, especially if said mode is presented as "undesirable". The solution NSMBU and 3DW has makes sense as it offers the babby way out if it noticed you're a shitter.
>>
>>332354803
>until the last 3 levels
Which 3 levels?

>anons argument now falls apart
>>
>>332342889
>Why?
Literally because children today are used to games with shitloads of checkpoints, and no live systems, with piss easy difficulty, assuming they can even die or lose in most games.

So the feature is to mainly make sure, that any person that purchases the game will be able to experience the entire game. There are 2 main points here though. 1 is they have to die numerous times in one level, meaning even if a player cannot win, unless they intentionally die, they will slowly build skill regardless of later using the white suit. 2. albeit being more arbitrary, using the white suit will prevent the save file from having a true 100% rating. So if a player used the suit the first time, they may replay the game trying to not use it at all, so it encourages in a minor way to get better.

This isn't Nintendos fault, so much the industry. They are just making sure the features are in, so they don't alienate many potential customers. Other then the white suit, their games are typically the same difficulty. Like New Super Mario Bros is a little easier then 3 or World, but could still be challenging to some.
>>
File: 1437855454137.png (46 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1437855454137.png
46 KB, 184x184
>>332355209
Billy Braindead will have to start again accepting that he is not good enough to face the challenging mode, and the game will retain its dignity by not presenting a fake difficulty, constantly made pointless by itself.
>>
>>332342889
My generation never had Gameshark/Codebreaker or used the internet to look up built in cheat codes for games not once. Ever.
>>
>>332353823

Pretty much every game I know that has an option like this will basically rub it in your face that you didn't actually beat the level and needed to use baby mode. Not to mention, there's usually collectables/points/whatever in the level that they will completely miss out on.

It's not beating the game for them, it's just skipping over a level they suck at so they can move on with the game.
>>
>>332356056
every system had an action replay or cheat code device.
>>
>>332355315
World Crown
>>
>>332356394
There is only 1 actual level in world crown. Champion's road. The other 2 consist of a Mystery House and noticeably easy Captain Toad level.
>>
>>332356894
the mystery house is easy as shit too because you can just use the gamepad and touch all the buttons instead of kicking shit into it
>>
>>332357061
>because you can just use the gamepad and touch all the buttons instead of kicking shit into it
Holy fuck I never knew this
>>
>>332354803
>being so jelly of videogames you have to pretend you played them and pretend they're bad, as proven by the replies
Holy shit this shitposter's on suicide watch.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.