[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: Sega_Dreamcast.jpg (2 MB, 4540x2200) Image search: [Google]
Sega_Dreamcast.jpg
2 MB, 4540x2200
what went wrong?
>>
A lot.
>>
The only thing that could have saved the dreamcast is gta3 as an exclusive launch title.
>>
>too early
>no dvd
>easy to pirate
>underpowered
>ps2 came out
>same shit that has been said a million times already
>>
Sega gave up on it but the fans didn't.
>>
No waifus. Not sure why they didn't put Miku on the console. Seems like such an obvious decision.
>>
>>332261041
>underpowered
Eh, it had enough juice to compete, just didn't have the market share or the money to keep it going anymore.
>>
>>332261041
>underpowered
are you retarded?
>>
File: 1458835694299.jpg (28 KB, 317x233) Image search: [Google]
1458835694299.jpg
28 KB, 317x233
>>332261041
>underpowered

no, it was amazing for when it came out, but as you said, yes it was too early.

Also the dreamcast, actually had really good copy protection, it just had one fatal flaw. Ripping a game and just burning it wont work, it needs to be converted to this file type that was used by karaoke discs in japan. Converting img files to that specific type worked, just ripping and burning, does not.

>no dvds

i dont think anybody cared about dvds in 1999 so they saw no point
>>
>>332261041
PS2 is barely better hardware wise. Especially when compared with the Xbox
>>
They didn't bring this over for one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOxf2kMkjB4
>>
>>332261041
More like
>Sega left financially unstable due to numerous past failures
>Too early
>No DVD player
The last two were only relevant once the PS2 came out. The dreamcast wasn't bad, even for its time, but Sega's legacy of fucking everything up came back to haunt them and they didn't have the resources to keep fighting.

>>332261235
Step up your bait game a little, man.
>>
>>332260673
We will never know.
>>
I saved up a $100 and lined up at the Best Buy register with a Dreamcast in my hands. I didn't really know anything about the system or any other systems, this was before everyone had internet access. I was buying it because it was cheap and I previously owned a Genesis, so there was a little brand loyalty going on. Some neckbeard in his 30s saw me with the Dreamcast in my hands and started talking about how the PS2 was a more advanced system and convinced me hold out for the PS2.

I believe a lot of people were like me and held out for a more powerful system. I didn't even know about DVDs back then.
>>
>Sega at the end of a series of consecutive shit consoles/console attachments
>innovative, but PS2 did everything DC did a million times better
>very few worthwhile games
>>
>>332262968
ps2 is not that advanced.as hardware.
all games runs at 120x80 pixels or so...
just less resolution
thats why many games can run and it has a shitty video ram.

while xbox, dreamcast and gc does'nt do that

my real problem with dreamcast is its controller.

saturn gamepad or saturn 3d are much better
>>
>>332263153
>PS2 did everything DC did a million times better
Show me PS2 having out-of-the box online support and 4-player local multiplayer then.
>>
>>332260673
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdX5UDgQ8x0
>>
>>332263334
You have to remember that people didn't know that back then. Everything was just school yard rumors. Even during the PS3/360/Wii era people were just spreading false rumors; the internet was more prevalent, but people were still making their purchasing decisions based on rumors.
>>
>Best graphics
>Online play
>Great games

Yet it still failed and Sega stopped making consoles.
>>
>Too early
>no dvd
>easy to pirate
>SEGA of Japan unwilling to cooperate with West

It really got fucked over due to Japan's disrespect of the international market
>>
>>332265316
Most likely this
>>
I think it was just a matter of not enough good games. I remember being blown away by how beautiful the graphics were when I first booted up my Dreamcast.
>>
So here's another question; if the Dreamcast had been as big a success as the Wii, what would the game industry look like today?
>>
>>332260673

Saturn bombed outside of Japan, meaning that SEGA had an uphill battle from the start. In Japan, the Dreamcast bombed and sold half as many units as the Saturn.

Also, SEGA was in dire financial straits at the time, so that didn't help either.
>>
>>332260673
The money lost from the Saturn, the 32x, and the Sega CD.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.