[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is pacing the single most underrated element a video game can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 261349584595954747LeythP5uc.jpg (143 KB, 490x386) Image search: [Google]
261349584595954747LeythP5uc.jpg
143 KB, 490x386
Is pacing the single most underrated element a video game can posess? Look at Binding of Isaac for example - it's tedious as hell to explore the floor and go back and forth through rooms, especially when most of the game devolves into a skinner box simulation. But on the other side, game takes several seconds to go from double click to start playing. Most developers neglect that the game should start near-instantly in order for the player not to feel dread if he wants to continue and endure several minutes of logos, menus and loading screens. Even if the graphics need to be downgraded, TECHNOLOGY is all that matters and it's not tied to visual fidelity.
>>
Maybe. People keep trashing MW2's campaign for having a ridiculous story or for being four hours long but compared to other CoD campaigns and compared to most modern shooters, its pacing is superb and I never see anyone give it due credit.

I don't think it's a big deal, but since you mentioned developer/publisher/etc. logos, CoD games are among the very few multiplatform games where they're all skippable. Recent games even allow you to choose which menu the game will immediately load upon starting, whether it's the campaign, multiplayer or zombies menu.
>>
>>332253437
Yes, definitely. Poor pacing is absolutely what killed The Last of Us for most of /v/.

In the beginning it's boring and slow and just all around dull. There's no denying that. Then later on the pacing is absolutely perfect. It oscillates from high tempo to low tempo so precisely you could set a clock to it.

However, most people who hate the game quite fairly quit less than halfway in because it doesn't get really good until Fall.
>>
>>332253437
It's padding, and when I play a game nowadays, I don't want to 'waste time' (get it? video games, not wanting to waste time?) but so many get it wrong.
I'm used to Super Meat Boy, where I fuck up, click the button I'm already mashing to restart, and I restart within a second or two. Let me practice and get good
>>
File: CXTm1ESVAAEVV42.jpg (109 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
CXTm1ESVAAEVV42.jpg
109 KB, 600x800
>>332253437
Yes.

>Mfw some idiot would rather a game with 6 hours of content stretched to 60 hours instead 6 hours of content delivered as it ought to be just because one has a bigger number
>>
>>332255989
Fucking love Super Meat Boy and Wings of Vi for being so instant.
>>
>>332253437
takeshi kitanowns
>>
>>332253437

Since the majority of people just play a game once, pacing is usually not on the minds of developers. The few games which do have good pacing end up being remembered.

I keep trying to play Endless Legend. So many options and such a beautiful game. But I usually get to a point where all I have to do is keep queueing buildings. And it becomes mindless. Having to go into 2-5 cities and queue up more buildings. Each turn takes 5 minutes. Do that for 100 turns and you just want to turn off the game.
>>
>>332256218
This is true. I'd argue that no game ever had more than 10 hours of worthwhile content - of course if the gameplay is good you can play through it again and again, talking about a single playthrough's worth.
>>
>>332256534
God tier actor and director
>>
>>332257053
Dungeon of the Endless, on the other hand, does almost everything right

The loads are slightly long
>>
>>332257269
Apparently he's attached to the live action ghost in the shell movie

[spoilers] I'm actually interested in it. They literally can't do worse than the fucking awful The New Movie
[/spoilers]
>>
>>332258439
I like everything about that movie except the director.
>>
>>332257269
Right you are Ken
>>
>>332255763
TLOU is also best experienced on the survival difficulty, which you have to beat both normal and hard to unlock, if I remember correctly. I think if people who didn't like the game got to play through the whole game on that difficulty, they would have a different opinion
>>
>>332258439
>GitS
>Without beautful art/animation
What's even the point?
>>
>>332261053

Hollywood considers animation to be the bottom of the barrel. Even lower than radio. Even Disney is trying to remake all its classic animation into live action.

So basically, if Hollywood ever wants to make something attached to a famous anime, it will be remade into live action.
>>
>>332253437
Yeah just look at TPP. Game takes like 45 hours to finish yet out of those 45 hours there's probably about 5 hours of worthwhile content in there stretched out with repetitive missions, long trips across fucking nothing, grinding, and overly long helicopter sequences.
>>
File: 170709838_640.jpg (65 KB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
170709838_640.jpg
65 KB, 640x481
>>332253437
>Damn I look good. Don't I Ken?
>>
Horrible pacing is what killed Conquest of Elysium for me
>>
File: 1135552619985.jpg (146 KB, 452x644) Image search: [Google]
1135552619985.jpg
146 KB, 452x644
>10 hour prologue where the game doesn't even let you go anywhere
>finally get to explore the world
>nothing to do besides go to the next town and watch dialogue

Also works for Golden Sun and XenoSaga.
>>
>>332257191
New Vegas.
>>
>>332263925
I remember when I fell for the Zelda meme. Oh god those tutorials, hand holding and tedious dungeons. I didn't play it for more than an hour (Ocarina), but still.
>>
>>332264010
If trekking through nondescript wasteland and opening trashcans and eating food when prompted makes for a good content then sure.
>>
What games have the best and worst pacing that you can think of?
>>
MGS3 has good pacing.

Y/N?
>>
>>332264174

But Ocarina of Time only has a 'tutorial' in the starting village. After that (and a couple times the Owl talks to you), the rest of the game is open for you to explore.

Its all the Zelda games since which have had hours of tutorials and dialogue. Twilight Princess being the absolute worst of them.

You should play Ocarina of Time again and at least get past the Deku Tree.
>>
>>332264280

Best pacing:
Dragon Quest VIII
Chrono Trigger
Sim City 3000 Unlimited
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Metroid II
Mario Galaxy
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Worst:
Final Fantasy II, III, IV, VII, X, XII
Suikoden IV and V
XenoSaga
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Pokemon Black 2
Little King's Story
Ni no Kuni
many others
>>
Yes, bad pacing is awful, games aren't movies where you should have a lot of downtime before things get started.
Long tutorials are the worst, as is padded content like tri force hunting in Wind Waker
>>
>>332264941
why does ni no kuni have bad pacing?
>>
>>332257191
Pathologic
>>
>>332267107

First 20 hours, Drippy tells you how to do everything. Even reminding you about how to heal a persons heart which you've already done half a dozen times.

As well as the majority of the game being fetch quests and dialogue driven, despite having a open world.
>>
>>332267583

Don't forget that 4-5 hours you spend in Drippy's village watching a horrible Osacan comedy routine. Which itself is translated all wrong, making it even more taxing and cringe-worthy.
>>
>>332253437

Is that a Takeshi Kitano action figure?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.