[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ITT games that bombed so hard they killed an entire franchise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Street_Fighter_V_box_artwork.png (135 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
Street_Fighter_V_box_artwork.png
135 KB, 300x298
>ITT games that bombed so hard they killed an entire franchise
What's their names, /v/?
>>
>>332197971
Dead space 3
>>
>>332197971
Front Mission Evolved
>>
Metroid Other M
>>
>>332197971
Don't be so over dramatic.
SF isn't dead and SFV is doing pretty good numbers at tourneys
>>
SFV won't kill SF
However
Darkstalkers resurrection
>>
File: bluehatguy.jpg (78 KB, 652x894) Image search: [Google]
bluehatguy.jpg
78 KB, 652x894
>>332197971
>dead
then explain why it has 40k viewers on twitch
>>
Duke Nukem Forever
>>
>>332197971
Dungeon Keeper (the mobile one)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (185 KB, 1890x1077) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
185 KB, 1890x1077
>>332199296
>>332199408
Less than minecraft most of the time. And the fucking devs almost literally pull "31 march is still march" meme

Fuck dude if tekken is coming to pc, ill buy it and move over
>>
>>332200487
At least we got the SFM pron and nude mods i guess
>>
>>332197971
DmC
>>
>>332199125
While I admit that this game was awful, I did find the idea of qt android Melissa Bergman actually being Mother Brain to be pretty neat.

And Anthony was cool too, I guess
>>
>>332200487
>less than minecraft most of the time
so the benchmark to be successful is to overthrow one of the most rabidly popular games of the past decade?

Also, fightan games don't do good numbers unless a tournament is happening, and even then they always peak during the finals. And even then, only a true cock-sucking faggot would think that fucking TWITCH NUMBERS are a valid metric of success.

SFV tourneys are seeing more entrants than ever before. That tells me the "core" audience is growing, like it continued to grow over the course of SF4's lifetime. That core audience was enough support for Capcom to feel that further revisions were worth the effort, so I think people can count on SFV's continued support as well.

Did it do great numbers and displace MKX and Smash as the casualfag's Fightan of Choice? no. It didn't appeal to a single casual, and Capcom is utterly to blame for thinking they could get away with a fighting game that doesn't let casuals play against the CPU and pretend they're learning the game. Dumb decision.

Not the death of a franchise, as if that could even be determined when it is still literally being supported as we speak. Come back in a year, and if there's no news of another round of DLC characters, we can call it dead. You're a faggot, if I haven't made that clear.
>>
>>332197971

I would love to play this game but I am never buying it unless they drop the price by half or patch in several single player modes. There's No way I'm buying half a game. The only people I know who bought this tried to get refunds when they realised it was online only
>>
>>332200487
>less than minecraft

yes, less than the second most bought game of all time

what a colossal failure
>>
>>332199262
MK and Smash 4 also get great tournament numbers, only thing is they didn't bomb.
>>
>>332201957
>online only
it's not? There's two single-player modes, one of which has the "story", and the other I'm fucking sure you can't even beat because you're trash at fighting games. There's local multiplayer, too. And naturally, training. And they're adding combo trials tomorrow.

What the fuck more do you want from a fighting game?

Give it flack for having a disgustingly tiny roster, not the lack of modes.
>>
I was just watching a SF5 tournament last night. It was pretty fun to watch, a lot faster and more interesting than the sf4 ones Ive watched. Commentators said that the entry bar is a lot lower so more people are getting into the scene.

So, its at least more fun to watch.
>>
>>332201796

>Sells less than 200K in the US
>Less than 60K in Japan
>24K in the UK, 15K in france, Didn't even chart in Spain
>Selling worse than Evolve in the same timeframe on PC

Tell me more about how how it's not a flop based off "Tournament Numbers" as the only people it sold to are "Tournament Players" (And even then some players even said they didn't buy it and they can still place high)
>>
File: 1364779997524.jpg (92 KB, 700x561) Image search: [Google]
1364779997524.jpg
92 KB, 700x561
check this 5 you meme loving fucks
>>
>>332202798

You can only earn experience and fight money online. All progression mechanics are tied to online. The game will even kick you out of local multiplayer online if the servers go down which has actually happened to a tournament.
>>
>>332203671
Yeah, it only sold to "tournament players". Those are the players who will continue to play it, pay for the DLC, and keep interest levels high. They were the only people who bought AE and USF4, but those kept being supported as well.

It's not good numbers, no. Capcom wanted so much more than that. But I don't care what Capcom wants or how their business model does for them, as long as the game is being supported, and I have every reason to believe it will be.

>>332203123
newcomers really really aren't, because they got turned away when they heard there wasn't an Arcade Mode they could play once, waste 2 hours on, and then never touch again. But they don't matter, really.
>>
>>332204000
You can be offline, though. And still play the game. You just don't get your monopoly money for it. Calling it "online only" is a major misrepresentation, and I have to believe you're doing it intentionally.
>>
>>332200487
You won't be missed
>>
>>332198134
:(
It's true though.
The best we can hope for is remakes now.
>>
>>332199408
> Viewers on Twitch = Sales

Get a load of this faggot that is extremely wrong.

Hint: I could watch someone play Her Story on Twitch, does that mean the developers got my money? No, they didn't get a fucking time.

No money = no more development = dead. Just as is SF5. You have better fucking hope the "FGC" is fucking gullible enough to throw cash at Capcom's shitty cashstore.
>>
>>332199408
Melee gets more and it's a 15 year old game.
>>
>>332197971

MGSV
Driv3r
Fable 3
>>
>>332204057
>It's not good numbers, no. Capcom wanted so much more than that. But I don't care what Capcom wants or how their business model does for them, as long as the game is being supported, and I have every reason to believe it will be.

How can you have that much faith in Capcom? They've killed off entire franchises before for far less. They expected SFV to sell 2 million by March 31; it's only at 500k, a colossal failure.

Street Fighter is finished, all because some asshat Capcom executive thought it would be a great idea to release the game before it was actually finished.
>>
>>332202504
They do worse numbers despite not bombing.
>>
>>332199262
>tourneys
Irrelevant to keep a game alive. You are lucky to get 10 K people worldwide in that category.
>>
>>332199408
>viewers
are people who don't have the game and don't plan to buy it.
>>
>>332207490
>Irrelevant to keep a game alive
You do realize what you said is very dumb? Maybe if you meant "the series" as in future games, but as you phrased it, it's literally the dumbest thing ever.
>>
>>332199296
>Darkstalkers resurrection
How could a re-re-re-release of 20 year old games in a franchise that had already been dead for 20 years kill it? If you want to point at something, point at Savior 2 and Hunter 2.
>>
>>332207113
>They expected SFV to sell 2 million by March 31; it's only at 500k, a colossal failure.
And this is a brand new high budget game, so it;s a much bigger issue than say, Darkstalkers Resurrection's poor sales, since that was just another rerelease of games that had already been rereleased many times, and had already made back their budgets back with good sales back when they were new.
>>
>>332197971
Dark Souls 3
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.