[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you miss FFXI, the comfiest MMO of all time? I do. Some people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 30
File: Final_Fantasy_XI_logo.png (47 KB, 300x163) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_XI_logo.png
47 KB, 300x163
Do you miss FFXI, the comfiest MMO of all time? I do. Some people from /wpsg/ have decided to roll on a private server, come join us!

>AFK in valkurum dunes doing <Lizard Killer>
>level every single job
>get dank class gear
>Dynamis daily

we waitin u!
>>
>>332113948
http://exodus-ffxi.wikia.com/wiki/Installation_Guide

It's a decent 4x server with 2x runspeed. It's 2008 patch with 75 cap, so no weird new shit. The AH is mostly stocked at 20gil an item but there's items they left off so crafting could stay relevant.
>>
>>332113948
I do miss FFXI, but it's mostly nostalgia. There are tons of things I wouldn't want to do in that game ever again. Weapon skill leveling for example. Pounding away on mobs in hopes I will get that .01 skill up was bullshit.
>>
I never got to touch Absolute Virtue. I don't even want to kill it now, just see it with my Taru's own eyes.
>>
>tfw I thought it was the ps2 version
O-oh
>>
I started playing the game recently.
It's pretty fun.
>>
File: ffxi_2014-04-28_03-03-05.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ffxi_2014-04-28_03-03-05.png
2 MB, 1600x900
whats the latest update after ps2/360 discontinuation?
f2p? legacy server? ps4 version? or just the same shitty mobile idea?

also, >>332113948
how many ppl are we talking about?
>>
>>332113948
I returned to Live in January, it's you know, /fun/.

Though I'm starting to lose steam finishing up things that I left undone. I doubt I have the power to do a Mythic even with the Rhapsodies buffs.

>>332117124
Rumors of server mergers and nothing more. They hacked the dev team to shreds (what dev team they had left) after they finished Rhapsodies in December. They'll add more shit but I expect that to tamper off in time. As much as I'd love a proper FFXI 2.0, it's just not going to happen. And the Nexon dev'd mobile game won't do.
>>
lmao

FFXI is LITERALLY FREE right now
>>
>>332118637
rimited time onry
>>
>>332118637
except it's not
>>
>>332113948
>comfy
Stop this.
>>
>>332118892
>not enjoying games that require zero effort where you can just sit back and watch tv
>>
>>332118892
>You will never, ever experience getting MPKed trying to exp in yuhtunga/yhoatar jungle and garbage shitadel again
>You will never see piles of dead bodies in front of zone lines ever again
>You will never be scared of zoning in without getting rekt

ffxi is pretty comfy these days
>>
>>332113948

Not falling for the free server trap. Not after reading what one of the server admins did on one of them. The fucking owner wiped everybody's gil because people were duping gil. Plus free servers just suck in general because the vanilla game has a million more things to do.
>>
>>332119351

>you will never EVER mpk an Italian linkshell at shikigamI weapon and have them boppitty boopy out in tells at you again.

I just fucking miss training marchalute to konschtat highlands zone.
>>
File: Duke-Nukem-Forever-1.jpg (60 KB, 882x496) Image search: [Google]
Duke-Nukem-Forever-1.jpg
60 KB, 882x496
EVERQUEST WAS BETTER

EAT SHIT AND DIE
>>
>tfw it's 2016 and you've never played FFXI and now that you'd finally be ready to give it a go, pay monthly and all that, it only has like 2000 players still playing

Man, I missed out on a lot, didn't I? I-I just hope it's a good singleplayer game... ;_;
>>
>>332120020
>italian LS
Ragnarok? Chocobo gordo was notorious for stealing NMs and being shit.

marchalute was a great, great screwover. It had to go so far to despawn. Nice one bro.
>>
>>332120145

It's pretty much too late to experience the greatness.servers are dead as fuck except for Asura but you won't want to play there unless you want to be in a reddit shell.
>>
File: Meriting.webm (3 MB, 720x412) Image search: [Google]
Meriting.webm
3 MB, 720x412
If DSP wasn't so inaccurate I'd bother hosing my own personal server just for dicking about.

Just a shame the official servers are a grinding mess nowadays.
>>
>>332120226

Nope. Played on Fairy.
>>
>>332113948
I played this way back when it first came out on the fucking ps2. Was the raiding any good cause I never kept with it and I kind of regret it.
>>
>>332120439
I've heard great stories of fairy going to shit.
>>
>>332120465

There were never any "raids" everything was open world. The closest thing you got to raids were things like limbs and dynamis. Things you could take multiple parties into. There were also a lot of different low man fights but for the most part it was all open world stuff. Don't confuse the term "open world" I'm using for other game's versions of it. These monsters, once claimed by a party or alliance were not allowed to be attacked by other people. You would basically have guilds killing each other over 24hr+ pop monsters. It was glorious fun and competition.
>>
>>332120465
To masochists and cheetos eaters, it was a blast.
>>
>>332120609

Yep. Fairy was a shit hole and I definitely left my mark on it.
>>
>>332120465
unofficial FFXI event fun tier list

god tier:
limbus

great tier:
assault

good tier:
salvage
delve
moblin maze mongers

BCNM Tier:
BCNMs

ok tier:
skirmish
meebles

boring as sin tier:
post patch dynamis

Worse than your worst nightmare tier:
pre-patch dynamis

Never did it so I have no opinion tier:
legion

I probably missed a few

chances are you didn't really miss out. ffxi is pretty grindy, but not korean grindy.
>>
>>332121073
Sounds like you had fun in retrospect. I know I certainly did, but I am not sure if I will ever go back to FFXI again since I really don't want to do a mythic.
>>
>>332121232

Eh... I would say ffxi was more hardcore than most Korean games. Fucking too me a year to get my first 75 class back in the day. Not to mention if you wanted to be a badass you had to get into linkshells and pray to rnjesus to get shit you needed ONCE YOU FARMED THE POP SET MIND YOU.
>>
>>332121349

I had too much fun. So much fun that if I never played the game I would probably not be here shitposting on 4chan and actually be a productive member of society.
>>
I always wanted to play this but we were too poor so we could only afford a shared WoW account with my brother.

How populated is this private server? Will a complete newbie have fun?
>>
>>332121590
Yea the RNG of the game still pisses me off a great deal of the time.

But it still has something that MMOs don't do now, investment that leads to long lasting reward.
>>
>>332121590
In the timeframe that guy mentioned, PS2 release, FFXI was certainly grind the game just to get to 75. It also took me a long ass time to get to 75. Leveling is a straight up joke now. 1-99 with trust npcs in just a week or so.

If you count grinding the endgame to get good shit, yeah, certainly it was insane.

That said, I have never actually played true end-game on any korean mmo, best I got was a high level mage on lineage 2 before I realized that I was never going to accomplish anything and quit.
>>
>>332117124
>The next version update is scheduled for early April.

>Enjoy a variety of additions and new ways to enjoy FINAL FANTASY XI, including new battle content known as ambuscade, a new method of transportation known as mounts, and alter ego emotion linking.

>We are also making progress on implementing a second Mog Wardrobe, and we hope you're looking forward to enjoying it as much as we're looking forward to bringing it to you.
>>
>>332113948
Are there any private servers that prove game up to expansions with it?
>>
File: 1458566251329.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1458566251329.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>tfw only rdm I knew that beat rdm maat
>other rdms pussied out and leveled other jobs to beat him with
>>
nah i'm just playing on retail thanks

all private servers are broken shit that eventually disappear with stolen donation funds.

>>332115243

your LS never did Sea?

>>332121232

KSNM, world HNM, Nyzul (sort of doesn't count as Assault), Einjerhar, and hell lets not even get started on post-ToAU stuff. i don't know what Legion is, SoA stuff?
>>
File: pol 2015-08-24 03-43-45-58.webm (367 KB, 1280x582) Image search: [Google]
pol 2015-08-24 03-43-45-58.webm
367 KB, 1280x582
>>332120145
It's actually pretty great as a single-player game with occasional multiplayer sections. Play it that way and you'll have a fantastic time.
>>
>>332122215
Provide* :∆}
>>
>>332122282
I had to farm Ruby Quadav 3 times for my testimonies cause I failed Maat 3 times.

Exciting times.
>>
>>332122282
you can use trusts in the Maat fight now
>>
>>332122284
Legion is a post-wotg post/mid-abyssea event. I dont think it was tied to a specific expansion. Delve and skirmish are SoA

KSNM falls in the same place as BCNM cause they're basically the same

that said nyzul is decent. It's a toss up between great/good tier, with neo-nyzul isle being up in great tier for sure.

world HNM aka kings is something I rightfully forgot. Fuck that shit. Easily in shit tier.

>wait 21-24 hours to get claimbotted
>lol oops 42-72 hours for HQ kings
>drop rates shit
ridill/ebody/darter drama is probably god tier though because its hilarious
>>
>>332122546
yep, se did a good job ruining a once great game.
>>
>>332122776 here
oops. Einherjer probably is good tier. I didn't do a whole lot of it until it was trivial though.

Also I fucking loved the accessibility(more like all jobs were invited) of Abyssea, even if the event was semi-grindy. Everyone got drops, just about everyone could come.

Oh yeah, another shit tier is voidwatch. Trash.
>>
>>332122821
Is that a vision of salt I'm seeing?
>>
>>332123065
hell fucking yes it was, game just fell to pieces starting with abyssea
>>
>>332122942
The only thing VW had going for it was more of what you said with Abyssea, bringing in more jobs for everyone to enjoy. However it was pretty hamfisted and the instant fucking gibs were comical.

>>332123435
Actually I think the salvage bans and the awful experience known as Wings of the Goddess was the messenger of doom.
>>
>>332123613
Very true. VW was great at bringing lots of jobs, but the whole drop system was shit and now no one can make emps higher than 90 without spending literal years grinding it solo
>>
>>332123774
I absolutely concur. The game now is the complete opposite of the Melee-burn days, were SCing > MBing is the only way to handle the top end content, so BLMs and SCHs rain supreme thanks to SCHs being able to SC with stratagems. But the gear has the same awful augment system as the hunts did so fuck doing that shit! Yay!
>>
>>332122776
>>332122942

yeah BC/KS are pretty much the same but i'm super fastidious sometimes. like for the most part BCs are for low level "specific mechanic" encounters, and KSNM(99s) were mostly about getting to fight big bads like Behe.

whats the Dyna patch you're talking about? when they removed most of the limits and high cost?

i didn't actually like Einjerhar that much if not for Odin being so badass, and the overall spooky feel. too much gimmicky trash and grinding yet another token currency.

we also forgot Sea (sort of part of limbus but not totally) and Sky. lmao this game has/had so many options, its fucking glorious.
>>
>>332124629
yeah, the one that removed the lockout, 1M gil cost, and all that.

It basically came down to killing mobs in a certain order all day and was boring as fuck and not to mention soul crushing drop rates.

I never really did sea but it was interesting, and for me, it was
Needless Drama Tier: Sky

but otherwise, it was "okay" since the good drops were effectively limited to whatever could wear haidate.
>>
>>332122282

I killed him with melee. It took me 15 tries, but I got that old bastard. When I landed the killing blow he was getting ready for Hundred Fists spam too. What a rush.
>>
I loved running the weekly BCNM/KSNM/garrison ls group. Rolling in gil just for arranging it. Getting a cut from 10-20 pairs of leaping boots, pcc or random scrolls.

Would put some in an ls fund to buy rental level cap gear / consumables. But still rolling in gil
>>
>>332113948

May as well just play on the real servers.

You can max level in a week, and on Asura you can actually find other players.
>>
>>332124857

i think Sky was a good starting points for LSs, since it wasn't intense on mechanics but it did test people at their roles and took coordination just to get pops and to get your alliance to the bosses.

there was always new shells starting up as "sky shells", for players new to endgame or without much time to commit, although that environment could create drama like you said.

i liked Sea more, chill environment, and i like the virtues theme (Love, Justice, Prudence, Temperance, etc). I even knew my way around Palace really well.

Going back on world HNM, it was obviously all about the bot meta, claim stealing, MPKing, you learned how fucking vicious LS competition could be, it really changed your perspective on the community, but i dunno, i guess i have some nostalgia there. so many crazy stories, and some of the best loot for years and years. the most naive and innocent player turns into a hardened bitter vet after years of HNM.
>>
>>332125983
>the most naive and innocent player turns into a hardened bitter vet after years of HNM.
truefax.

I bet you that you can mentally navigate to anywhere in FFXI to another place. I know I can. The maps are like burned into my brain, it's insane.
>>
lol at all the drama over this game.

Game is still fun, even as a single player game. Unity Bosses and Reisenjima with linkshellmates is also fun
>>
>>332126287

b-but Abyssea ruined the game! lv caps raised up making all those years farming side-grades totally useless! :'^(
>>
>>332126428
Ah, the notwannagrinds.

Killer of the weakwilled
>>
>>332126428
>to this day, still idle in Ares Cuirass(though its +1 now)

muh sidegrade still good!
>>
>>332126164

except yutunga/yhoat :(
>>
>>332126860
yeah that one was a copypasta/similar nightmare. I think it was meant to be that way though, in a real jungle you'd probably not be able to tell the way either.
>>
>>332113948
FFXI was literally NEET the game.
Most of the endgame people you found in that game were losers who had 5000+ hours invested into the game.
>>
>>332127541
>stop liking what I don't like!
>yfw you will never make lifelong friends on FFXI with an attitude like that
>yfw you can AFK bazaar and get gorrilions of hours

I know several people who are now married because of ffxi. Loosen up, senpai.
>>
>>332127812
what does that even have to do with my post?

are you autistic?
>>
>>332127912
>projecting, calling people losers with unfounded irrelevant information

My post included how you can get tons of hours, and how, potentially, not everyone is a loser. The game also has been out over decade now, so people with tons of hours from bazaaring is totally normal.
>>
>>332128163
not everyone was a loser, but most of the people who played were.
they were addicted to the game and would blow off their job/school or friends just to play with their virtual buddies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfolw_wdBJE
>>
>>332129723

the only time i put on any significant weight was 4 stone (56lbs) with a big pot belly, during the height of my XI no-lifing. i also had a cyber-gf. yeah pretty sad.
>>
>>332129723
>guild
>raid
>Chalkobo
wtf is this guy on?
>>
>>332122282
>tfw you beat RDM Maat on your second try
I felt like a god among mortals there for a while.
>>
>>332113948
>wanted to play this since release on PS2
>XI event on XIV and the idea of an actual finale event on a +10 years old MMO made me want to play it even more
Do anyone here have experience with the Steam version? I want to know if it is possible to pay the monthly sub with Steam Wallet (like in XIV).
Alternatively, how decent is the server emulation?
>>
>>332131284
can't play with steam wallet
steam version patches to the same shit as everyone else uses

I'd go retail if I were you but server emulation is acceptable. I dont know a good server anymore.

The retail client can be patched to work on a server emulator, or you can just download direct from playonline.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html

Realistically, you can download that, install it, patch it then get a CD key to make a real account without ever logging in to steam.
>>
>>332131284
Steam version works just fine, don't know about wallet.

There are some decent private servers, and you can find ones that are mirrors of the original game with 75 cap, and there are ones where you get 4x exp and increased run speed etc etc.
>>
>>332120952
were there dungeons or was it just go kill this monster in this area?
>>
>>332131995
I liked playing on FFera but I don't know if it's still running these days.
>>
>>332113948
I used to grind like mad on this game and fall asleep because of how comfy and slow paced the game was.

Some amazing years of my life spent playing it. Played a BST and tried soloing every NM in the game that I could. This was before Abyssea and those mini-expansions came out.
>>
>>332132172
FFXI quests usually aren't like that. Most of them are go to place, click a "???", get a CS, maybe fight an NM, or some variation of that.

>>332132302
BST is literally overpowered as fuck right now.
>>
>>332120952
People tend to think instanced games are open world, where you get an area to yourself or for your party. FFXI was every player on the server shared all areas except the mog house.
>>
>>332131851
>>332131995
>no wallet
Oh well, I was hoping for an easy and cheap way to play the retail version, I'm not a big fan of private servers.
I will do a bit more research and choose how to proceed, but I will download the game while I do it, so thanks for the link.
>>
>>332117124
Server mergers are imminent, and they're going to continue adding Unity fights. Some japs I play with said there's going to be more Merit fights as well as something new to Legion. Essentially, anything new is just going to be rehashed old content like they've been doing for awhile now. Quite a shame, but whatever. I plan on stopping when I finish relic and mythic collection.
>>
>>332114143

Nowadays FFXI has consumable items that give guaranteed skill ups, and you can get those for free with sparks, a currency from the Records of Eminence system that you earn by doing things you were probably already going to do anyway.
>>
Anyone from Siren that played during CoP here?
>>
I remember years ago, it was deemed impossible to have a private server due to how NPCs were handled. What was the breakthrough?
>>
>not playing on nasomi
>2016
Literally a Private server with people in the 100's now and it's constantly active.
Original 75 cap, with 07' era content.
>>
File: 1453600844557.png (8 KB, 445x374) Image search: [Google]
1453600844557.png
8 KB, 445x374
What's the best private server, /v/?
>>
>>332132905
Depends if you want fast leveling or best balance.
Nasomi is my favorite desu.
>>
>>332120145

If you're in it for the stories, it can all be done single-played with the possible exception of the later Seekers of Adoulin and Rhapsodies of Vana'diel fights.
>>
File: rad200.jpg (18 KB, 267x395) Image search: [Google]
rad200.jpg
18 KB, 267x395
>>332114143
Everything about the game has been nerfed to adjust it into being essentially a Single Player mmo where you have a party made up of actually impressive/powerful NPC party members.

FFXI is basically now Xenoblade Chron/X or FF12. I don't regret going back to it to finish all the the new story that was available, I genuinely had a very fun time.
>>
>>332133058
which one is nasomi?
>>
>>332133387
http://nasomi.com/
>>
>>332133387
I mean is it fast or balance
>>
Any news on that mobile version of XI?
>>
>>332133946
The spin-off (Grandmasters) is already available in Japan.
Still no info about the actual mobile not-exactly-port.
>>
>>332134154
The mobile not-port probably will get a lot of the nostalgiafags of FFXI back playing more than FFXI itself ever will
>>
>>332133387
Balenced.
It's 07 era with stock xp rate.
>>
>>332132773
I played on Siren, but before CoP. By the time CoP came out I was on Bismarck with a different char
>>
File: 1267508994545.jpg (47 KB, 450x468) Image search: [Google]
1267508994545.jpg
47 KB, 450x468
Why play a ffxi server with a level cap past 75?
You might as well be playing live.
>>
>>332134568
healing breath 4 of course but yeah, i'd rather do retail too
>>
>>332134430
does it have the XP books?
>>
>>332113948
>Do you miss FFXI, the comfiest MMO of all time?
No because I still play it
>>
>>332113948
The game was so god damn good, and then SE decided to kill it for FFXIV. They took a great product, and just fucking killed it.

And then FFXIV was a huge fucking failure, but it was too late, FFXI was dead.
>>
What makes FFXI so special? I thought the actual game was bland as fuck and people only stuck around because of the community and the music.
>>
>>332134957
FFXIV after the reboot is more successful than FFXI ever will be.

>b-but FFXI is the better game
then why isn't it more popular :^)
>>
>>332120384
>Just a shame the official servers are a grinding mess nowadays.

i hate to break it to you but XI's always been a grinding mess
>>
>>332135086

It was, FFXI held a 500k playerbase for over a decade. It also managed to not drop in subscribers when WoW was released.
>>
File: 1336538546329.jpg (274 KB, 833x1000) Image search: [Google]
1336538546329.jpg
274 KB, 833x1000
>>332134957
we'll always have our memories.

The time I spent in Vana'diel with friends impacted me more than any of my ex gfs ever did.

My buddy and I would lan party it. Set aside an entire weekend and just fuckin' explore and party and hunt NMs. My fondest vidya memories.
>>
>>332135086
>more successful

pretty sure FFXI is still SE's most profitable game of all time
>>
>>332135361
>mfw I LANed it too a few times

good stuff bro. I know that feel
>>
File: 1372666783334.jpg (227 KB, 850x737) Image search: [Google]
1372666783334.jpg
227 KB, 850x737
>>332134993
stockholme syndrome
>>
>>332135316
>500k playerbase
except this is false since Square Enix never released the official sub numbers
>>
>>332135432
FFXIV is already printing more money than FFXI. That game single handily pulled SE out of the red zone.
>>
>>332135086
popularity ≠ quality
Of course FFXIV is successful it's as simple as WoW. It holds your hand through everything.
>>
>>332135464
I know for a fact that Ragnarok at NA peak times had over 5k players on it for several years. There are also a buttload of servers. 500k isn't farfetched if you account for JP primetime, NA primetime, EU primetime and a fuckload of servers.
>>
>>332135621
most of those servers are dead now though and even closed/merged.
>>
File: 1350271700884.jpg (70 KB, 620x424) Image search: [Google]
1350271700884.jpg
70 KB, 620x424
>>332135579
Why do you come and shitpost about your WoW clone in what is supposed to be a nostalgia thread? Insecure?
>>
>>332135790
Did I disrupt your hugbox thread anon?
>>
>>332135086
>FFXIV is more successful than FFXI ever will be.

this is an impossible comparison until we talk about this topic in a decade's time. however we can say for now, FFXI is the single reason SE still exists, but right now they are losing execs and making cuts and crying about how bad the 3rd party publishing is going, despite the relative success of stuff like Tomb Raider.
>>
File: 1437099323126.jpg (37 KB, 405x473) Image search: [Google]
1437099323126.jpg
37 KB, 405x473
>>332113948
I'm already on ffera or I would, hope you get more people though.
>>
File: playtime.jpg (69 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
playtime.jpg
69 KB, 600x450
post your /playtime
>>
>>332135929
>ffera
does it have decent pop?
>>
>>332135781
The poster in question used past tense, there's no way ffxi has 500k subs right this minute. In the past, sure. Now? I'd be surprised if it was over 10k
>>
File: 1457035994929.gif (1 MB, 270x235) Image search: [Google]
1457035994929.gif
1 MB, 270x235
>>332135881
Not really, I'm just curious why you guys always come into these threads when you clearly didn't play XI at its peak.

You play FFXIV which is pic related.
>>
Is there a way to play FFXI for free?
>>
File: 1458930125183.png (830 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
1458930125183.png
830 KB, 792x792
>>332136057
what the fuck
>>
>>332136057
Can you check if your account isn't active? Like on linkshell community or FFXIAH?
>>
>>332136153
500k registered accounts maybe, subs no.
>>
>>332136175
FFXI was literally Everquest for casual weebs who played a MMO on a fucking PS2.
>>
File: 1457294813180.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1457294813180.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
>>332136057
I know I took a screenshot when I was at 1024 days. Because of the resolution. 1024x768. Get it?
>>
>>332136070
109 currently online, was seeing up to 200 on weekends until a few weeks ago until GM's started updating the server and introduced some unbearable lag. It's running well again though.

>>332136057
I don't have a picture but my playtime was over 1000 days.
>>
>>332135464
>except this is false since Square Enix never released the official sub numbers
Except that's wrong, faggot. They put out a census every year and from 2004 to 2008 it was above 500k

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_4th_Vana'diel_Census_%2805/14/2004%29
>>
>>332136057

>500

I was over 1000 back in 2008 when I quit
>>
File: 1457083189117.jpg (258 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1457083189117.jpg
258 KB, 2048x1536
>>332136057
This is some next level autism right here.
>>
>>332135790
The reason ARR is so successful is exactly because it's a WoW clone.
Today's playerbase can't handle a game where you need to interact with others for success, be patient, or work for things.
>>
File: 1405994880083.jpg (593 KB, 1144x823) Image search: [Google]
1405994880083.jpg
593 KB, 1144x823
>>332136374
>PC version launched long before PS2 version
???
>implying you played everquest either
>I did
>FFXI had a story
>>
>>332136272
If you still have an account the game is free to play right now

Good luck downloading and updating it before the free weekend ends though :^)
>>
>>332136535
The game out on PS2 first in Japan then PC. It was developed for consoles in mind, hence why everything is done through a master menu.
>>
>>332136057
>>332136257
>>332136430

500 aint shit especially with a ToAU/WotG era looking screenshot

not even factoring people who just AFK bazaar every day too
>>
>>332136535
>>PC version launched long before PS2 version
No it didn't, in japan the pc version came out half a year later.
>>
File: 136458013039.jpg (43 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
136458013039.jpg
43 KB, 600x473
>>332136474
I thought that's what I was implying, are we agreeing?
>>
>>332136474
>where you need to interact with others for success, be patient, or work for things.

but I do that in FFXIV right now

>inb4 BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME MUH GAME WAS DIFFERENT
>>
>>332136657
>>332136715
Are we in Japan?
>>
>>332136657
>>332136715
Right my mistake, though to be fair when it launched in NA the PC version was already out, along with Zilart.
>>
>>332120145
Play with /ffg/ they've got a linkshell on Asura and it's free from meme posting and /xivg/ faggotry.
>>
>>332136768
No you don't. You have a matchmaking system make random parties for you. Your "linkshells" are loosely affiliated people who BS and ERP.

If any fight in FFXIV took the coordination or communication of FFXI capped bosses you guys would throw tantrums.
>>
>>332136768
Do you need to interact with people outside of occasionally saying "hello" at the start of a dungeon? Do you NEED to spend time waiting for a party to invite you or find people looking to party just so that you could level, and I mean actually wait to see them in the list then actually send them a tell asking if they want to join up with you or if you can join their party?
>>
>>332137125
Imagine a standard group from FFXIV trying to line up skillchains and MB. That would be a hilarious shit show. You could give them all equipped characters and explain the WS and SC to them and they'd blame each other and squabble.

It was a different time. Before games were as mainstream as they are I guess?
>>
>>332137125
I need to interact with people for melds/hunts and asking for help in mentor chat, I need to spend time in PF waiting for people to FATE grind with or do content that's too hard for DF or not accessible through it.
>>
>>332137125
Unless you're raiding with a FC, there is barely a reason to communicate or group up.

Lvl'ing is hands down, even shittier than WoW in FFXIV.
>>
>It's another FFXI circlejerk episode
>>
>>332137510
Which show are you talking about? Got a link? I want to watch this.
>>
>>332137510
>its another shitposter
>>
>>332137510
>this episodes guest, a guy so lonely he has nothing better to do than complain about a circlejerk thread
>>
>>332127541
pretty much this, the people who were into this game pretty much lived on this game.
>>
File: AbsoluteVirtue.jpg (500 KB, 860x856) Image search: [Google]
AbsoluteVirtue.jpg
500 KB, 860x856
great game design here
>>
>>332137397
>and asking for help in mentor chat,
Don't fucking tell lies anon.
>>
>>332137832
You could get a job in a classroom with all that projection.
>>
>>332138315
except it's not lies, novice network is really helpful on my server.
>>
>>332137397
>asking for help in mentor chat
I hope you are using it as a "fictional" example.
And you don't "need" social interaction most of the time for the other examples (it helps a lot, but it is not like XI's "get friends or die").
FATE grind is basically "/follow bot party", hunts' social part is limited to "found it @" macros and hoping that nobody will pull early (and someone will), PF can be about as bad as DF (the only difference is that someone will either explain the fight on copy-paste mode or post a youtube link before the first failed attempt, and newbies on learning parties are actually expecting free clears from experienced/mentor party members instead of some good and old trial-and-error to learn how to dodge shit), and asking for melds is about as complex as saying "hello".
>>
>>332138682
Best part is that PF is about to be replaced by the new raid finder except maybe for farm parties
>>
>>332137125
>NEED
So with NEED being the keyword here, you're telling me you NEED the game to hold your hand and forcefeed you interaction and communication with other players? You're so incapable of starting a conversation that you need the game to have mechanics designed around that?
>>
>>332138682
god damn you sound like a salty shitter who probably played on a awful server back when the game was still early.
>>
>>332138820
they are making a cross server PF
>>
>>332138827
No, I was just saying that there's a difference between having to initiate conversations in order to level and just queueing up a dungeon or dropping in on a FATE.
>>
>>332139182
It won't come out until after the new raid finder.
>>
No game, MMO or otherwise, had a better job system.
>>
File: 1.png (948 KB, 572x800) Image search: [Google]
1.png
948 KB, 572x800
>open thread, expecting comfy XI discussion
>missed the comfy part of the thread
Damn, it is always the same shit.
>>
Bought it on sale a couple weeks ago. I think I've come to regret my purchase, and I've been trying pretty hard to like it.

>Nothing is obvious, everything is done through some obtuse menu option
>Menus are unintuitive and slow
>Maps huge, empty and largely featureless
>Combat is more or less automatic, especially with Trusts

When does it start being fun exactly? I'm level 16 now and need to be level 18 to start the next story mission, and I feel very little motivation to go grind the rest of the way.
>>
>>332140536
This is probably what I miss most going from FFXI to FFXIV. If they added subjobs, I could somewhat forgive them.
>>
>>332140579
/ffg/ has comfy XI talk when the RK autists aren't awake but it's a /vg/ thread so take it as you will.
>>
>>332113948
>private server
>all the owners and friends roll their character with whatever stats, levels and gear they want
>they expect you to start as a lv1 noob with leather jerkin
Fuck private servers, seriously
>>
>>332140668
you've been rused my friend, the game is past it's prime. people who never played a MMO before before WoW look up to FFXI like it's the god among MMOs when it's literally a post legacy of steel Everquest clone with FF fanservice and dumbed down systems to accommodate PS2 players.
>>
>>332140668
I'd say it starts getting really fun nowadays when you unlock the ability to use subjobs and especially when you can unlock the "advanced" jobs. Originally, it got fun when you got to around level 10 and started doing parties, but not too many people do that anymore if any.
>>
>>332140668
>and I feel very little motivation to go grind the rest of the way.
16 to 18 should literally take you like 5 minutes. Hell, with RoV key items it would take you 2 kills but you probably don't have those.
>>
>>332140757
I visit /ffg/ every now and then. "At least it isn't /xivg/" is the only way to describe it.

>>332140853
That is harmless compared to the actual shit that happens on private servers. Like GMs abusing their powers to annoy other players and to join e-penis contests, grill gamers seducing GMs/Admins to get advantages for her guild, stupid decisions on how to manage a server (like not having fucking backups), higher rates fucking up the progression and balance, guild drama with GMs/Admins involved because they also play the game, and so on.
Ragnarok Online's private servers are a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>332136057
I had about twice that, and that was from playing ~2004 to 2008.
>>
>>332113948
FFXI was a comfy MMO back in 2003, but it aged like milk.
>>
I've been playing it on the free login period, to finish up various missions I never got around to doing.
Quite literally a ded game.
>>
File: ffxi.png (1 MB, 1079x1107) Image search: [Google]
ffxi.png
1 MB, 1079x1107
>>332136057
>1672 days
>still playing, getting shitloads of hp bayld because of the event going on right now

just kill me
>>
I loved the game, but you can't rewind time and it's not something I can really go back to. Most I can do is listen to the soundtrack for some nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0rYk83Rt0A
>>
>>332143583
>not the based bagpipes

baka desu senpai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaGaGqejQqI
>>
The kids today wouldn't understand what we went through in FFXI's glory days.

Be glad Vana'Diel is a thing of the past. We experienced what we did, and we didn't have the current mainstream generation of kiddies to ruin the experience.

75 THF (one of the first NA THFs to hit cap on my server)

2003-2009

/Salute
>>
>>332143746
>Empire run with a puppet empress and a secret police infused with monster blood
>still comfy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Rzo_Rju_I

>>332127541
I worked while playing the game and had probably like 800 days clocked in over the time I played, not all of us were NEET, but we were all addicts
>>
>>332117864
> As much as I'd love a proper FFXI 2.0, it's just not going to happen.
It's called Dragon Quest X, it even had much of the same development team.
It's just that SE in their infinite wisdom decided the west wouldn't be interested in the game.
>>
>>332144001
It would kill FFXIV, and Yoshi P can't have that.
>>
>>332137985

So...did anyone ever find out how to do this?
>>
>>332144001
Nobody in the west likes Dragon Quest. Sales and market research can prove this.
>>
File: mihli2.png (622 KB, 761x505) Image search: [Google]
mihli2.png
622 KB, 761x505
>>332143990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NmKpnPlMXc

It's 2 oclock in the morning and all 3 groups of beastmen are besieging Al Zahbi, and you have work in only a few hours, what do you do?

Keep in mind the best C@ is cheering you on.
>>
o/
>>
>>332144182
>the last mainline DQ release in the west sold a couple million copies
>nah that's not good enough, it needs to sell like hotcakes like it does in japan
thanks squeenix
>>
>>332144110
Yes. SE basically spilled the bean after the raised the cap to 99.

The missing part of the puzzle is you know how JoL spawned a shitton of adds? Turns out if you killed the adds for like 3hours, he would eventually stop spawning them, and at that point if you killed JoL and got lucky and poped AV the massive regen and the wyverns would be disabled.

Who would have thunk you had to do bullshit on the previous boss.
>>
>>332144342
DQ IX only sold a million overseas and that's after it was discounted heavily to bargin bin prices.

Meanwhile in Japan, it sold 5+ million.
>>
>>332144110
People were able to kill it a few times with an exploit, and eventually people figured out the proper method to killing it, but no group was able to do it successfully without the exploit before the level cap was raised. People came really close, but the extremely narrow window to do what you need to do fucked most of the groups up that tried. That and there was a second trick that SE told people about after the level cap was raised that was pretty much like what >>332144410 mentioned.
>>
oh FUCK i didn't know there are private servers
>>
>>332144813
don't bother, they are all trash/dead.

nothing but drama and bugs.
>>
>>332144410

is that accurate? i only ask because i didn't pay attention to the game much after ToAU and that sounds like information mixed up with what was "known" long before the cap went over 75 - killing AV's own adds, rather than JoL's, to stop his regen (which my and our ally LS did successfully), and a video released by devs around ToAU/WotG timeframe i think, which "confirmed" some theories people already had about elemental nukes and locking 2hrs.

still, i prefer the ebon panels theory.
>>
>>332145453
500 HP/Tic Regen.

Reduced again by 50% by killing many of the Jailer of Love's pets.

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_Virtue

Absolutely accurate, SE is fucking insane.
>>
>>332145453

also i really like the dumb strat someone had where you had Rangers kiting him around using the updrafts to teleport around Sea, and I think shadowbind or whatever would land, and then you had an alliance nuking him as he zipped around from updraft to updraft, like some kind of reverse drive-by. it was totally over-engineered and stupid, great stuff.
>>
>>332114039
Does this have sccholar?
>>
>>332145718

man, i wouldn't put it past them to have revised that mechanic and then pretend it was always like that.

i mean he didn't even have a working loot table at first. the fuckers.
>>
File: o0400030010500987236.jpg (100 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
o0400030010500987236.jpg
100 KB, 400x300
>>332144316
I have this image literally burned in my mind
>>
>waitin' for the train to go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUWw0qpwmqE
>>
File: ffxi.png (142 KB, 645x380) Image search: [Google]
ffxi.png
142 KB, 645x380
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYhcXmXSB0

why didn't you listen?
>>
>>332144410
I have no idea where you got this information because like 70% of it is wrong. I'm guessing you never actually fought AV or participated in the discussions back in the day. People knew about nuking Jailer of Love's adds to reduce AV's regen for a really long time (People ended up doing that a lot anyway since it also affected JoL's regen). The biggest problem with AV was always the fact he could spam SP Abilities including Benediction whenever the fuck he wanted.

The real "reveal" from the video was that using SP Abilities straight after he used them would lock them on AV, but people never figured out exactly how it worked. Lots of people tried and managed to lock a few of the Abilities, but either the window is so short that its impossible to humanly time (especially with latency involved) or it happens randomly which would just be another middle finger on top of everything else. Every single kill of AV has always been done using brute force, it has never been killed the "proper" way before.
>>
>>332146948
I was in middle of typing this out when you posted. That mechanic is also 100% worthless on 2hr abilities like Benediction and Mijin. Since the level cap got raised people were able to kill it and just out right ignore the 2hr mechanics of the fight.

But now they do have AV 2.0 in the game and, although not has bad as the original, the fight is 99% luck on what 2hrs he uses on you.
>>
>>332146948
>people killed JoL adds
>JoL was in any way difficult

Now I know you are full of shit. They only ever killed the sharks.

BTW, I have the title. Cerberus, OldKoN.
>>
>>332146948
>SP abilities

I am calling you out.
>>
>>332147367
What the fuck post did you read? I didn't say JoL was hard. I said taking out JoL's adds is how you get rid of his regen, so people who wanted to fight AV would probably just end up doing that naturally anyway.

Also JoL never stops spawning adds unless he gets glitched somehow. When JoL starts summoning nothing but sharks is when his regen is reduced. If you have the title, it's probable its been so long since you've done it that you have all your facts mixed up.

>>332147610
That's the proper, official name for them. They don't take 2 hours to recharge anymore. Do you have a point?
>>
>>332147367

was KoN the shell that kept changing their pearl due to some (assumed) drama we didn't know about, or was that someone else? would have been around ToAU era I guess.

also do you remember when a whole HNMLS turned up outta nowhere with a PLD leader in exceptional gear? i guess they were the designated nasa bot(?) holders since they came and just fucking claimed everything and acted like cunts to everyone.
>>
>>332148162
I am like 99 percent sure we never killed the squids or goldfish, and just dragged them off somewhere to be held.

You are saying people always knew to kill them to disable the regen, I am saying JoLs regen was low, and basically would just be killed through it. I genuinely do not think we ever disabled JoL's regen.

I remember the discussions, we tried shit like casting spells based upon the days of the week, and even did it in fire 1 > fire 2 > fire 3 order and all kinds of other stuff to disable regen.

That shit was known ever since the garbage "spoiler" video SE put out.

The missing piece, at least for when I was playing, was the JoL adds. I got the title through exploit killing AV btw.
>>332149152
Yes, fucking demetrios destroyed the main LS, then his dramallama ways destroyed the next LS. Then there were people who kept using the KoN name, like KoNHNMLS was not actually affiliated with us at all.

Are you refering to CatoHNMLS with the pld? I cannot remember. I also remember sakura started doing shit around that time, and their leader fowler was a grill pld so all the autists tricked her character out of the wazoo.
>>
>>332149620

ahh, i remember the Demetrios name faintly yes, didn't really have any buds in KoN though so I don't know all what went down. we may have even spoken before in other XI threads, i was in a later shell from PM a bit, and we all fed Taint/ed his relic scythe, desu it wasn't that bad since they were generous with everything else except dyna currency. also was in WW for a bit, and the leader Odogg still plays, on Asura now ofc.

i don't remember anything about those other fuckers except if they were at behe domain/aery/etc we may as well just leave.
>>
>>332150610
>i don't remember anything about those other fuckers except if they were at behe domain/aery/etc we may as well just leave.

Okay, yah, that was Cato.

PM being paimei? I remember we mad so much fucking fun of that shell and the members for being so fucking stupid about dynamis(KoN paid for the hourglass from the LS fund, and distributed currency evenly to all that went. You made like 50k doing it in KoN)

>odogg
Fuck that guy, he let me get kicked from that LS after we had a deal. I needed no gear whatsoever, and thus was not required to go to events if I was on. Everything I did was to help others. I fucking hated camping sandworm, and would just blow it off.

I pissed off some chick lieutenant doing that,because how dare I not listen to her, and then the autism crew who sucked her nuts bitched and moaned until Odogg relented and let me get kicked.
>>
Midgardsormr was best server
>>
>>332151380

yeah paimei but i don't know anything about them from that era. another retarded thing though, was we used to do limbus in a full ally and leave extra people behind, even though most wings were easy as shit to low-man.

didnt really play with WW long enough to have a bad time, it was when i was pretty much "retired" and it was comfy to just have my morning coffee whilst camping Aspi with them or something simple like that, during those weird spawn windows that weren't really NA hours and weren't really JP hours. i was too burned out by then to login for every event, like ToAU HNM all pretty much dropped vendor food.
>>
File: codeine Rin.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
codeine Rin.gif
2 MB, 200x200
Currently downloading the client. What am I in for?
Only real MMO I've played being classic-TBC WoW. What am I in for and should I play retail or a private server? I've had a hard-on for trying out this game since it released next to WoW
>>
>>332153619
>should I play retail or a private server?
they're pretty much 2 different games
>>
>>332153776
How much is retail? I really don't feel up to paying dosh for nearly a decade old game.
>>
I remember one time way back in 2004 before automatic de-spawning was implemented somebody spawned a high-level mission NM Orc and left it outside the gates of San d'Oria and it just kept killing noobs for hours.

Much lulz were had by me.
>>
>>332153857
30 something.
Retail is the most approachable for new players.
>>
>>332153857
30 bucks plus 13 bucks a month sub (for one character). It goes on sale for 10 fairly often though.

>nearly a decade
14 years. It's surprisingly expensive for such an old game
>>
>>332154053
>>332154034
>$40 minimum just to play.
Fuck, maybe I'll wait till it goes on sale ;_;
>>
>>332154193
first month is free
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLabpUdgs1U
>>
>>332154224
Is it populated?
>>
>>332117124
I helped fund pic related's Burtgang
>>
>>332154359
One server has decent population.
>>
>>332154359
2 of the servers are decently populated. The rest not so much. Right now it says there's 1259 people on Asura, which is the main english speaking server, but a good deal are probably afk.
>>
I'm legitimately surprised they never came out with a PS3 version.
>>
>>332154528
Yeah. I'm also pretty disappointed the wii and vita versions never came to fruition. I probably would have bought a vita
>>
I consider 05-06 to be the game's heyday.
>>
>>332136193
It's what the whole thread is about, you blind buffoon!
>>
>>332154890

>05
>get sent mithra porn
>where do you find this stuff?
>4chan

11 fucking years ago. FF11 ruined me 11 years ago. fuck.
Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.