[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Let's plays" should be made illegal and banned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 18
"Let's plays" should be made illegal and banned from youtube, since it basically is passive piracy and hurts the developers.

Discuss.
>>
"I just watched the TB video."
>>
>>332112273
:^)
>>
It should t.bh. Lets plays are killing the gaming industry
>>
>>332112201
Illegal? no
But publishers/devs should be able to pull a portion of profits from the videos, faggots need to accept the fact that they wouldn't have any 'content' if it weren't for the game
>>
File: 1411932544959.jpg (44 KB, 330x413) Image search: [Google]
1411932544959.jpg
44 KB, 330x413
>Watch TBF, Joel, and sometimes Plague when he does his LPs
>Don't really pay attention to anyone else
>Used to watch a lot of AVGN back in the day and Spoony when he actually did video games and not just wrestling and D&D
>Tell my friend that LPs and youtube culture probably has about five years tops left because there's only so many times we can watch asshats play the same fucking games, youtube keeps finding new ways to jew money out of the creators, and with streaming becoming easier everybody and their fucking brother is trying to do it and eventually this thing will collapse on itself
>He scoffs and goes back to doing whatever the fuck people with art degrees do in San Francisco
>>
>>332112201
How does it hurt the devs? That one skate game was revived because of lets plays
>>
>people who watch Let's Plays instead of playing the actual game
>>
>>332112964
Well, okay...full playthroughs should be illegal just like uploading movies on youtube is illegal. Maybe 1/3 of a game should be allowed to be "let's played" (but not the end, to avoid spoilers), and maybe like 50% of the revenue should go to the devs/publisher.
>>
>>332112201
If your game can be properly experienced through a lets play it's not a video game.
>>
watches someone play single player games is dumb.

comparing to sports is stupid, only multiplayer competitions can be considered similar to this and they've already had those for years.
>>
Just like with piracy, people just dont have the disposable income to play those games

Removing lets plays would not increase sales
>>
>>332113128
It's depends on the game of course. Open world games without much story, MMOs don't rely on story but on gameplay...no big deal.
But full playthroughs of games like Life is Strange, The Walking Dead and any other story-driven game? That's fucking piracy.
>>
>>332113231
Yeah I think the amount of playtime and portion of revenue is something that should really be hammered out but I wouldn't make entire playthroughs illegal obviously because that'll fuck with speedruns along with others where frankly the story mode or main campaign don't mean shit
>>
Rentals should be illegal, each store only has to buy one copy of a game and dozens of people can play it without the developer seeing a cent.

Dumbass.
>>
>>332113562
>That's fucking piracy.
It's not piracy to watch someone else play a video game, and if you can experience all a game has to offer just by watching gameplay of it, it's not worth anyone's money in the first place.
>>
>>332113540
If you have no money to play games, you should prioritize your fucking issues, because you obviously have bigger problems than being poor.
>>
>>332112201
>Watch an entire lets play of Until Dawn (without any voice over)
>no need to buy the game since ive seen it all
>>
>>332112201
I love silent playthroughs.
Voiced playthroughs should be made illegal and banned from youtube, not because of piracy but because it's a type of cancer in the current interwebs
>>
>>332112201
People who watch games werent going to play or buy it in the first place. If they do then good
>>
>>332113659
Are you really this dumb and uneducated?
>>
>backseating a LP in the comments/chat or thinking the person you are watching is your friend.
>>
>>332113659
But rentals SHOULD be illegal. It's piracy but you're paying like two bucks for a $60 game instead.
>>
>>332112201
Here's a tip: Make a game that is fucking good enough that people want to play it instead of just seeing it.
>>
>>332113328
This is the argument I'm making in another thread.

When I saw that LPers were playing 'games' like Firewatch in under 4 hours, I instantly lost interest, watched the videos, and learned that it just wasn't worth the time or money.

>But you can just read/watch reviews
Nah, I'll trust LPs or /v/ before some paid shill.
>>
>>332113870
>bend over and be raped, fool. Do not resist!
>>
>>332113870
Are you? That's the equivalent of what you're saying in the OP, only what you're saying is even worse. You should go work for Microsoft, they love retards who are out of touch with reality and think everything should be behind a paywall.
>>
>>332113769
>if you can experience all a game has to offer just by watching gameplay of it
To what definition?
>>
File: 1353295528609.jpg (11 KB, 298x290) Image search: [Google]
1353295528609.jpg
11 KB, 298x290
When you buy a game, the only thing in the box should be a membership card that allows you to go to the nearest publisher-run game center, and play the game, by yourself, under strict supervision by an employee, weekdays between the hours of 9-5.

If you disagree with this, you're just a filthy pirate, a poorfag, and a thief.
>>
>>332113579
>>332113231
>>332112643
These are retarded
>>332112964
This is true
>>
>>332114024
What do you mean? Shit like walking dead, life is strange, all the other shitty walking simulators/"story" driven games where the gameplay is nothing but a glorified choose your own adventure book.
>>
>>332114024
Firewatch
>>
>>332113945
Not every reviewer is bad or paid along with LPs not being paid or good
You're wasting time either way so whats the point you might as well jump to reviewers rather than dig through LPs trying to figure out what you want to know
>>
If everything a game can provide can be enjoyed equally by just watching it, then it's hardly a game as is. Interactivity is what makes a game good. If you have a good game people will play it to tap into that interactivity. If you just watch someone play something you're missing that.

If the game is just a movie but with some moments of walking forward thrown in then it can easily be enjoyed by just watching an LP. But then it's hardly a game, and shouldn't be called much of a game.

If you actually make a game LPs and videos are never an issue. If anything you can get massive amounts of free advertisement for your game by random idiots playing it for their shitty fanbases. But if you make a short movie masquerading as a video game people will figure that out and realize they can just watch a video instead. LPs are in no way piracy since watching a game doesn't give the player any interactivity. If there is enough interactivity then LPs aren't an issue and in fact can help smaller developers without a budget to advertise. But if you make a movie and try to pass it off as a game you suffer, but then stop calling it a game and make a movie.
>>
>>332112201

It's basically free advertisement and publishers know it. Ubisoft even cut out the pretense and attempted to use LP'ers as direct marketing for Far Cry Primal. Triple AAA love LP'ers and the indie walking simulator crowd don't have a leg to stand on.
>>
I don't have time to replay chrono trigger so I keep vinny's on while I do other stuff, optimum time optimization!
>>
>>332114265
>wasting time
Would be true if I didn't have some running occasionally in the background while playing other games. As I said, Firewatch was a good example of this. It was nothing but dialog exchanged between 2 characters while the player held forward and pressed a button to cycle through text.
>>
>>332114158
So basically any adventure game?
There's nothing wrong with story driven games whether they have point and click, puzzles or QTEs there's a component there that drives it forward so are you just going to watch it and go
>sure I can press some fucking buttons why should I play that?
>>
>watching other people play video games
Let's plays should fuck off. A lot less cancer if they were gone.
>>
>>332112201
>"Let's plays" should be made illegal and banned from youtube, since it basically is passive piracy and hurts the developers.

No, they should be made illegal because they're gay and they cause autism. Never has anyone produced such a video that doesn't make me cringe. YouTube as a whole is an embarrassment to the human race.

>>332113446
>If your game can be properly experienced through a lets play it's not a video game.

This is true.

However,

>>332112964
>faggots need to accept the fact that they wouldn't have any 'content' if it weren't for the game

This is also true.

Even if the developers suck, they should still be legally entitled to money for this shit, and I hope they get it because I hate YouTube users even more than I hate bad games.
>>
>>332114378
So if if a game is a non-game and basically a movie: uploading full movies on youtube is already illegal and will get you into trouble.
>>
>>332112964
Nintendo did that and you all bitched.
>>
>>332112964
Nintendo did this and everybody got really pissed. There's nothing wrong with it though.
>>
>>332114960
But they are called games in this case, so it is fine. That's the issue you have making a video game movie.
>>
>>332114826
>Never has anyone produced such a video that doesn't make me cringe.
I mostly agree with you, but silent playthroughs and TASes are cool with me, and should be enforced.
>>
>>332114826
> Even if the developers suck, they should still be legally entitled to money for this shit, and I hope they get it because I hate YouTube users even more than I hate bad games.
People have been doing let's plays for free longer than they've been doing let's plays for money. Letting dev's monetize them isn't going hurt jack shit you edgy,spiteful nigger.
>>332114717
>Let's plays should fuck off. A lot less cancer if they were gone.
And please tell me what "cancer" should be removed. How does some random asshole posting a video of themselves playing a game hurt the industry?
>>
>>332114960
Exactly. If people don't want their games to just be watched by idiots on Youtube then call it a movie. If you call it a game then that implies interactivity which implies that watching someone play it doesn't give the full experience of playing it.

Just call it an interactive movie or some shit. Or throw in some shallow interactive elements like fake choices and character customization to make people think you have to play it to experience it. Don't make what is basically a short film, call it a game, then get pissy when people watch it online and figure out they got the full experience from that.
>>
Let's Plays are just people trying to entertain others while they do things in their lives such as play video games

It's not really piracy if someone is playing a game on video and that video happens to earn them some sort of profit
That's like saying if someone made a vlog about them eating out with their friends, should the place their eating should so something ot the people that are giving them business?

What do you mean buy hurting developers?
If a guy was saying through his video "This game is fun, this game is o good go pick it up" that's free advertising right there
If it's a story based game like Until Dawn, Walking Dead, etc, than I can understand
But people still want to be interactive even with these kinds of games that are just stories so they'll still go out a buy shit

If developers aren't making profit, then they are doing something wrong, whether it'd be poor advertising, having a poorly made game being scoured by the consumers, changing the way they do things for the worst, etc

I think you don't understand why people use lets plays as a source of entertainment
I don;t fully understand it either, but this is just my stupid, naive opinion on the matter
>>
>>332115189
>Letting dev's monetize them isn't going hurt jack shit

Great, so let them do it.

And YouTube users do complain about the possibility of this happening, so yes it would hurt them at least enough to allow me to laugh at their pain.
>>
>>332114997
>>332115008
only people bitching were LPers
I think most of /v/ thought it was hilarious outside the obvious nintendo hate group
>>
>>332115049
Then those non-games should be classified as movies or interactive movie under the law.

But it's not my job. If Devs don't want full playthroughs of their non-games, they should stop whining and do something against it.
>>
>>332112201
Since when /v/ from 4chan is butthurt about piracy and devs?
This place is full of good guys, white knights and normal guys to the point that is no longer 4chan.
>>
>>332112201
How does it hurt the developers?
>>
File: 1447725166205.gif (502 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1447725166205.gif
502 KB, 160x160
>>332112201
>Ban LPs and force people to get a real job

YES PLEASE THE SHITSTORM WOULD BE LEGENDARY.
>>
>>332115460
>And YouTube users do complain about the possibility of this happening, so yes it would hurt them
Many wouldn't be hurt at all. Again people have been doing this, long before youtube demonetization has been a thing, this isn't going to cause anyone any pain or suffering0
I also hope you aren't stupid enough to think every LP is in a video format, like 90% of /v/ seems to.
>>
>>332112201
Suck my penis lol
What are you gonna do about it? Arrest me for recording myself playing a video game?
>>
>>332115585
They're pissed cause they can't sit on their ass and play video games and get paid for it
>>
>>332115796
>entertainment is not a real job
>>
If the developers feel their games are being pirated on Let's Play then they should make videogames not movies. A good videogame is when you see some one else play it and you can't wait to play it yourself not the other way around.
>>
Do Let's Play's kill sales for games? I remember Nintendo doing something about so I just figured it was like that
>>
File: piracy is victimless.jpg (52 KB, 720x920) Image search: [Google]
piracy is victimless.jpg
52 KB, 720x920
Don't mind me, just pirating this money.
>>
>>332115834
Worse. I will personally hunt you down and send you to Guantanamo and water board the shit out of you.
>>
File: 1449196828067.png (57 KB, 607x426) Image search: [Google]
1449196828067.png
57 KB, 607x426
>>332112201
>People who provide free publicity for your product should be shut down.
Next you faggots will say that if you buy a game the developers should be able to charge you for playing it
>>
The Ratchet and Clank 2&3 Dev Commentary was the only worthwhile Let's Plays I've watched.
>>
File: 1405947021319.jpg (20 KB, 393x289) Image search: [Google]
1405947021319.jpg
20 KB, 393x289
Indie devs bitching about let's plays is almost as delicious as when they were bitching about steam refunds.

Funny how successful developers like Toby Fox never complain about this shit. It's because, shocker, you need to make a good game for it to sell well.
>>
>>332116167
>developers should be able to charge you for playing it

Ever heard of WoW?
>>
>>332116167
Well, that actually is happening now, with DLC and microtransactions and online fees and shit.
>>
>>332116062
You're talking to a hologram.
>>
>>332112201
tertiary video game discussion

MODS
>>
File: 1320299867537.gif (407 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1320299867537.gif
407 KB, 250x250
>Let's remove the second-hand market, since every single rental/used sale is a lost sale, we swear, even if we can't prove it

>Let's remove demos and previews, since we don't want to spoil people on how lackluster and unpolished our game is

>Let's remove streams and let's plays, since it lets people see the game before buying it and they might have a negative opinion about it, never mind the free publicity that also attracts people who like what they see and then go out to buy the game

>Let's do every single thing possible to put a paywall up front before anyone can get a whiff of the game, so all they have to go by is what they get from the totally-not-paid-off reviews

>I'm also working on a patent so that if your device detects any unauthorized people in the same room, it automatically cuts itself off because sharing in any form is illegal and 15 years mandatory

Yeah, nah. Suck my dick you piece of shit.
>>
>>332116553
>/v/
>games
>discussion
>mods
>implying
>>
File: lets play.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
lets play.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
don't mind me bro, just let's playing this car
>>
>>332116029
>>332116785
Here's your reply.
>>
File: 1455281637001.jpg (5 KB, 198x198) Image search: [Google]
1455281637001.jpg
5 KB, 198x198
>>332116631
>>I'm also working on a patent so that if your device detects any unauthorized people in the same room, it automatically cuts itself off because sharing in any form is illegal and 15 years mandatory

I like that one and i am stealing that idea and get rich. Thanks anon!
>>
Why would you watch a let's play?

at least watch something interesting and skilled like speedruns or superplays.
>>
>>332115987
Depends on the game. For some games it gets a shit ton of sales because it's free advertisement to thousands of consumers. Certain developers can't afford big marketing budgets, so the ability to just give a random Youtube channel a game and have it seen by tons of people is amazing.

On the other side it allows everyone to see how shit your game may be or how limited content is. For walking-simulators it can be death since they're basically just short movies that allow the player to walk around, so people can just watch a video of it and get the same experience.

Honestly, it's good for sales in my opinion. If your game is good and has neat mechanics it helps sales. If it's bad and has limited interactivity it hurts sales. It helps good games and hurts bad ones.
>>
>>332113097
Let's play and TB will die out soon
>>
File: 1455169951707.png (163 KB, 315x367) Image search: [Google]
1455169951707.png
163 KB, 315x367
>>332116834
Don't mind me, just pirating your front door
>>
>publicity
>advertisement
>I'm streaming Batman v Superman to generate publicity for the movie!

Argument falls apart if the devs say they don't want people Let's Play'ing it. If the devs don't want people streaming it (Dragon Cancer thing) streamers should move on to stream a game where the devs WANT the 'free publicity'.
>>
>>332112201
so all of those doax3 videos should be banned then?
>>
>>332117159
(You)
>>
File: 1453693183123.jpg (53 KB, 295x378) Image search: [Google]
1453693183123.jpg
53 KB, 295x378
>>332116785
>>332117159
Apples =/= Oranges
>>
File: 1448321686207.jpg (49 KB, 672x492) Image search: [Google]
1448321686207.jpg
49 KB, 672x492
>>332117306
thx senpai
>>
>>332115908
That would explain why people go completely autist and get butthurt when you so much as mention LPs.

I guess it's a good way to weed out the NEETs and wageslaves, though.
>>
>>332112201
The only thing let's plays actually hurt are non-games that are basically linear, barely interactive, cinematic experiences

so no, they shouldn't be banned, because such games will make no money and thus fewer will be made, improving the gaming industry as a whole
>>
>>332112201
Friend of mine got funded because pewdiepie played it. Total biscuit commented on our game trailer and that give is 1.5k views. Can't really talk shit about lpers unless your insecure about your game because it blows
>>
>>332117532
Are you a gaming nazi that decides what kind of games have the right to exist?

If people enjoy linear story-driven "non-games", then so be it...live and let live.
>>
File: Faciane.png (573 KB, 545x522) Image search: [Google]
Faciane.png
573 KB, 545x522
>>332116891
One of two reasons.
1: You are watching for the commentary and personality instead of the game (it's why I watch, say, the Super Beard Bros.).
2: You are watching so you can see how insanely well some people know a game (it's why I watch, say, Chuggaaconroy).
>>
>>332117721
And if people enjoy their let's plays then so be it...live and let live :^)
>>
>>332117836
Look: there's clearly an interest and a market for such non-games, else those LPs wouldn't be so big. People are just greedy bastards and chose to passively pirate those non-games by watching full playthroughs.
>>
>>332116704
Is that a fucking slowpoke tail?
I'm triggered.
>>
File: 5200777894.png (31 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
5200777894.png
31 KB, 300x135
>>332117180
I hate to say it but not all of us have the ability to stream games. It's much easier to capture footage and upload it YT.
>>
ITT: Guys who are mad they didn't jump on the train while they had the chance.
>>
>>332118119
Stream or Let's Play youtube, same thing.

If the devs don't want you showing it off like Dragoncancer or All Of Nintendo, then you should move to a game that wants your 'free publicity' and stream/youtubeletsplay that instead.
>>
>>332117726
>2: You are watching so you can see how insanely well some people know a game (it's why I watch, say, Chuggaaconroy).
speedruns and superplays are better for this than any Let's Play.
>>
File: My Internet Speed.png (31 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
My Internet Speed.png
31 KB, 300x135
>>332118119
I wish that I had internet that speedy.
>>
>>332118614
That's not true, though.
I like speedruns and all that, the GDQs are two of the things I look forward to the most every year. However, the things I get from that are completely different from seeing a breakdown of every single piece of information like Chuggaaconroy does or going over every single tactic like ManyATrueNerd does.
>>
Bad non-games that are completely exposed by playing them on youtube should be illegal and banned from actual gaming.

/thread
>>
>>332118878
sounds more like a tutorial/walkthrough than a let's play to be honest.
>>
>>332112201
There are at least 5 games I bought because I' ve watched an LP/longplay.

Fuck off.
>>
>>332117726
>seriously watching Chuggafag
>>
>>332119007
It's not.
I'd recommend watching MATN's Fallout New Vegas run where he plays through the entire game without dying or healing as an example of the tactics part, and Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade LP for the insane amount of comprehensive knowledge he has. He has actual autism, and I can only presume he's a savant when it comes to understanding video games on a worrying level.
The Xenoblade LP is something like 120 episodes, though, so if you aren't a NEET you probably won't be able to binge it. The FNV playthrough from MATN is shorter and far more tense (since every single hit matters in a way that no other playthrough could represent), though, so if you just want something entertaining to watch I'd recommend that.
>>332119327
Yes, I seriously watch him. What's your point?
>>
>>332112201
You are wrong.
The people that watch LPs buy the games AND the merch too.
They just don't play them.
This does not hurt sales.
This doesn't kill the industry.
>>
File: bay area internet.jpg (10 KB, 669x54) Image search: [Google]
bay area internet.jpg
10 KB, 669x54
>>332118665
Bruh
>>
>>332112201
That argument only holds weight when talking about a movie.
Maybe game devs should focus on making games, and stop making movies.
>>
>>332116631
>>I'm also working on a patent so that if your device detects any unauthorized people in the same room, it automatically cuts itself off because sharing in any form is illegal and 15 years mandatory
They already did that family and it was called the first generation Xbone with Kinect. George Orwell's nightmare come to life in a convenient entertainment package.
>>
>>332113446
Speedrunning is as much of a sport as tournaments
>>
If there were no DRM, there would be less piracy. Developers trying to have MMO control over their games is what's killing the industry.
>>
By this rationale anyone posting Rock Band videos should be paying royalties.

>They should because Rock Band is gay too.

>>
>>332119642
For what it's worth, it's normally around 4, I don't know if I have a background download or something that is knocking it down so much.
It's weird, like, I don't even know what I would do with internet 100 times better than what I have. I can watch HD videos and movies, I download games overnight, and I can play online games perfectly well.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.