[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GameCube multiplats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: serveimage.png (92 KB, 305x305) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
92 KB, 305x305
As we know, the GameCube used miniDVDs to store games. However, miniDVDs can hold only a fraction of the amount of data regular DVDs can.

So what I'm wondering is, for multiplatform games (that were also released on the PS2 and/or OG Xbox), how did devs manage to fit them on such a smaller space?
During the 6th gen I've only used a PS2 but now I'm playing games I've missed via Dolphin, and sometimes I have to choose which console to play a game on.
>>
>>332099615
>sometimes I have to choose which console to play a game on
All two times? GC got few multiplats and most aren't worth playing, on any platform.

As for the space constraints, games were big on FMV back then, which was what the large majority of the DVD disc space was used to hold. A game like FFX would have easily fit on a minidvd if you took out all the prerendered movies. Multiplats probably just used lower sampling bit rates for movies, which would help considerably
>>
File: re4 wii emu default.jpg (713 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
re4 wii emu default.jpg
713 KB, 1920x1080
>>332099615
>fraction
1.5GB is 1/3rd of DVD's capacity.

>how did devs manage to fit them on such a smaller space?
Compression magic, usually.
MPEG-3 and such had already became norms during 6th console gen, having became more and more common towards the end of 5th generation. That magic allowed feats like the entire Resident Evil 2 to be fitted on a 64 Megabyte N64 cartridge, FMVs and voice-acting and all, and even add some new content and features (5.1 audio, RE3 tie-in files, new costumes). For devs used to this small storage space (the game CDs seldom exceeded 600MB either), the mini-discs of GC significantly increased their storage space.

The few larger games, like RE4, were shipped on two discs.
>>
How did the Gamecube version of some multiplats have better graphics than the PS2 versions of the same game?

I've played the GCN and PS2 versions of Sonic Heroes before, and the GCN version had better graphics and faster loading times, even though the PS2 is a much superior console.
>>
>>332100002
The multiplats were always better on GC or Xbox, it was a toss up between the two, and there's several "multiplats" that are just GC Exclusives with shit PS2 ports.
>>
A lot of GC multiplats were two discs where they were one disc on PS2/Xbox.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory immediately comes to mind.
>>
>>332100989
You realize the PS2 was the weakest console of its gen (sans Dreamcast) and was a fucking bitch to program for, right? The GC and Xbox were way ahead.
>>
>>332100989
Gamecube had more graphical power, simple as that. As multiplats go it was almost always XBOX > GC > PS2, with the xbox games usually being straight up ports from the PC

Usually the gamecube exclusives would look better, and when they got ported to ps2 later, theyd have shit framerate, worse graphics, but extra content
>>
>>332101334
Even then the Dreamcast still had a better Grandia 2, DOA2, and MvC2 than PS2.

>>332101348
Yeah, like RE4 with the extra Mercenaries and Ada shit, but worse graphics. And Viewtiful Joe with worse graphics, but playable Dante from DMC
>>
>>332101348
Extra content was the rare case and pretty much exclusive to Capcom games.
>>
>>332101814
Again, bitch to program.
>>
>>332100002
007 Nightfire, Tony Hawk, Prince of Persia, TimeSplitters, Soul Calibur II, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good and Evil, Spider-Man 2...

And then there's games the Xbox never got like Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, and Killer 7.
>>
>>332100989
like already mentioned, GC was the 2nd strongest system of the generation, only slightly behind Xbox. It packed GPU made by Ati.
PS2 for example barely supported any shading and post-processing effects as we know them today (bumb-maps, speculars, water-shaders, bloom...), so all such effects were either cut or faked one way or another (SotC for example had tons of translucent planes creating the bloom).

The loading speeds were thanks to smaller discs (quicker to scan through than full-size DVDs) and faster reading speeds.
>>
>>332100212
Anon, you aware that 1/3 is a fraction, right?
>>
>>332099615
Well other than compressing, I'm sure they also trimmed the ports (removed a lot of lines of 0's that were just space occupiers)
>>
>>332101295
Enter the Matrix on GC was two discs as well.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.