[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You've pre-ordered yours right /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 21
File: HTC Vive Pre review07-1200-80.jpg (99 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
HTC Vive Pre review07-1200-80.jpg
99 KB, 1200x674
You've pre-ordered yours right /v/?
>>
File: bp.jpg (6 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
bp.jpg
6 KB, 226x223
Of course.

HTC is finalizing shipping within a week.

We are at the dawn of a new age.
>>
nah

gonna wait and see what the feedback is on the screendoor effect. Plus it doesn't have games yet

My concern with buying it right away, which I almost did, is that by the time GAMES come out, they'll be releasing Vive 2 with a better screen
>>
Hell yeah. And now that I know that my 770 can run some VR games without problems I'm more comfortable with waiting for Pascal/Polaris to upgrade.
>>
>>332065075
No, within 6 months.
>>
>wagglan 2.0

no thanks
>>
>valve
>facebook

nah

give me some GOG-Goggles
>>
>buying a Vive when everyone know that Sony will have the best VR experience
LOL fucking stupid people
>>
File: Vive_VS_Eye.jpg (2 MB, 4098x2162) Image search: [Google]
Vive_VS_Eye.jpg
2 MB, 4098x2162
>>332064929
nope, resolution is too low currently, going to wait till we can get at least 2k for each eye.
>>
I preorderd all 3.

Use 3m USB / HDMI cable to route the Vive breakout box through a wall to the next room where I got 3m/3m space. Did my research and this does work. Some devs have gone as far as 10m cables from PC to breakout box.

Use the Oculus at my PC for seated experiences so I don't need to buy extra lighthouses and rewire my Vive in my room when I wanna play a driving sim or some shit.

PSVR for DoAX3 pretty much.
>>
whats with these stupid controllers? whats wrong with a KB/M? what do these stupid, gimmicky controllers even add?
>>
>>332065914
try using a keyboard and mouse standing up
>>
>>332065417
Shit bait, but have an answer for your effort
>>
>>332064929
>after the flop that was steam controller

no thx
>>
I really don't know which one to get. All I know is I just want to sit and play. And not stupid simulator shit. Wish I could just play current games with it.
>>
>buying any vr this early

hope you bought a duster for that thing
>>
>>332065965
>standing up
I have a perfectly good chair though?
>>
isn't vr a meme
>>
>>332066130
some games will require you to stand up. you probably wont play those games that why the controllers are bundled separately.
>>
>>332064929
>You've pre-ordered yours right /v/?
Not really, no. The major selling point of Vive is the room-scale VR stuff, and I just don't see any appeal in that. I'll wait a while to see how Oculus is going, then make my decision, but I really don't think I'll be buying Vive any time soon.

>>332065914
>whats wrong with a KB/M? what do these stupid, gimmicky controllers even add?
Vive is primarily oriented on room-scale VR, that is to say, you move around while using it, instead of just sitting down. I'm pretty sure you could use Vive for chair-bound VR if you wanted, but it kinda defeats the point as the proper room-scale motion tracking is the main selling point of Vive compared to the other two.
And of course, room-scale VR is going to rely on motion-tracking control systems, hence the special motion-tracking controllers.
>>
>>332066202
Will anyone play those games? As gimmicky as the wii was, at least you could still use it while sitting on your couch. and its not like anyone is going to be doing yoga with a 10 pound monitor on their face
>>
>>332066390
first off its .5 kilos or 1.11349148061234598273 shit units, secondly they have a ton of games for standing and they work pretty good. because the tracking systems are now far more accurate.
>>
>>332066576
Im sure those standing games are absolutely amazing and the best things ever. but will more than 5 people ever actually care?
>>
>>332066637
many do.
>>
>>332066390
>Will anyone play those games?
Some people will, but personally, I find the appeal of the room-scale stuff limited by precisely the core issue all motion-tracking control systems have: they are generally both unimpressive (as they lack proper physical feedback), and lacking in complexity necessary to facilitate complex gameplay mechanics.
That said, there is one thing that worries me about chair-bound VR too, and that is the fact that you can visually confirm the input while you have the device on your head.
Say I want to play Elite with Oculus: the control input scheme for that game is pretty complex, and it generally requires having one hand on the joystick while the other dancing on the keyboard. the problem is, when your vision is entirely taken up by the Oculus, you can't see what you are pressing, and it's going to be pretty damn easy to make mistakes and screw yourself over by accidentally pressing, say, "deploy landing gear" instead of "jettison the heat-sink" or something.
>>
>>332066852
>they are generally unimpressive
Not according to literally everyone who has actually tried them they're not.
>>
>>332066852
Should've trained your gaming skills to never need to look at your inputs in the first place, familia. Pretty basic stuff imho. Do you think astronauts actually look at the stuff they're flipping?
>>
>>332065609
one human eye can only see 0.7k, whats the point?
>>
>>332066731
and many many more do not
>>
>>332066962
>Do you think astronauts actually look at the stuff they're flipping?
You know, yeah, I think they do. Considering that flipping the wrong one can cause all kinds of bullshit to happen.
>>
>>332066986
that is completely untrue
>>
>>332067024
but they need to simultaneously watch gauges and monitors to make sure everything is working, you know the actually important visual feedback.
>>
>>332067020
there is a market for them, wheres theres a market there is money. Again, you don't have to play those games.
>>
>>332067107
>there is a market for them
they would certainly like to think so, but its completely untested at the moment
>>
>>332067079
Fat lot of good it's gonna do them to have kept an eye on all the readouts if they then press the wrong button.
>>
>>332065075

I can't wait for people spending all this money just to realise they're getting nothing but walking simulators.

And that it won't work on 99% of normal games. KEK
>>
>>332067182
thats what rote memorization is for. if its a motion they've done literally a million times before, there's no chance for an error. meanwhile the readings on the monitor may be unpredictable and nothing like simulations
>>
>>332067235
>And that it won't work on 99% of normal games
I don't think anyone who's actually going to spend money on VR is not aware of that.
>>
>>332066960
>Not according to literally everyone who has actually tried them they're not.
I ment "unimmersive", the fucking autocorrect screwed me over. VR on whole seems to be VERY impressive, but I don't think the motion controls are on their own. The problem of Kinect wasn't that it was not responsive enough: it was that it was an entirely flawed premise to begin with.

>>332066962
I play games to unwind. Saying that I need the equivalent of an astronaut training to be able to play games with more than five-button input scheme is not exactly selling me on the idea.

VR seems to be best fitted to relatively complex simulation games that benefit from the additional axis of control and rich options beyond mere twitch skills: driving, flight and space sims seem like the absolute best fit for the platform. But plenty of those will run head-long into the issue of obscured vision on the actual control device, and there is a serious risk that in the long run, VR might prove to be detrimental to complexity of input systems. "Just learn the keyboard layout perfectly" does not really solve the problem: neither me nor most people will be able to really do that.
>>
Preordered Oculus Rift, pretty hype. Didn't even have to upgrade PC to be able to use it.
I laugh at all the poorfags in this thread with no disposable income.
>>
>>332067046
Pretty sure he's making fun of the "eyes can't perceive more than 60fps" thing.
>>
>>332067308
>VR seems to be best fitted to relatively complex simulation games that benefit from the additional axis of control and rich options beyond mere twitch skills: driving, flight and space sims seem like the absolute best fit for the platform. But plenty of those will run head-long into the issue of obscured vision on the actual control device, and there is a serious risk that in the long run, VR might prove to be detrimental to complexity of input systems. "Just learn the keyboard layout perfectly" does not really solve the problem: neither me nor most people will be able to really do that.
That may be true, but you should still not need to look at anything in a perfect world
>>
>>332067297

>implying the majority of casuals ready to throw money don't think exactly that
>>
File: 32446573665735.jpg (42 KB, 541x498) Image search: [Google]
32446573665735.jpg
42 KB, 541x498
>>332066198
>>
File: steamVR benchmark.jpg (68 KB, 429x836) Image search: [Google]
steamVR benchmark.jpg
68 KB, 429x836
>>332064929
Can't wait, mine ships in May
>>
>>332067293
>there's no chance for an error.
There is plenty of chance of errors, actually, which is why every single control device in any space shuttle is very explicitly labeled, and there are instruction manuals and schemes on display on ever possible surface. They do memorize their shit, because that is just one more extra layer of safety measures, but that does not mean they don't visually confirm what they are turning on and off too, and they certainly have THE OPTION to do so.
Meanwhile, with VR you simply CAN'T see what you are pressing. And in complex sim games that have a lot of control commands that get used very sparsely (remember, 80/20 rule), it is going to be a problem.
>>
>>332067529
>There is plenty of chance of errors, actually, which is why every single control device in any space shuttle is very explicitly labeled
thats only in case there's a stowaway who needs to land the shuttle
>>
>>332067365
>That may be true, but you should still not need to look at anything in a perfect world
I don't see how that actually answers any of my worries...
>>
File: vove.png (153 KB, 640x363) Image search: [Google]
vove.png
153 KB, 640x363
On a waiting list for the superior headset :^)
>>
>>332067308
>The problem of Kinect wasn't that it was not responsive enough: it was that it was an entirely flawed premise to begin with.
Well, yeah. The problem with that stuff is that you're translating the user's motions to a 2D screen somewhere in front of him. VR motion controls translate them to exactly where he expects them to be. I've seen a video of someone physically juggling the Vive controllers while wearing the headset.
Plus, every time you see someone use VR for the first time, they will at some point reach out and try to interact with a virtual object using their hands. That alone seems like a pretty compelling case for motion controls to me.
Yes, you only have really rudimentary haptic feedback at the moment. But I'm still getting the impression that they offer a natural means of interacting with your VR that's engaging in a different way than abstract controller stuff, simply because your brain is built for it.
>>
>>332067579
>thats only in case there's a stowaway who needs to land the shuttle
No, although that option is one of the factors at play. Stress can do a lot of things to you. Having everything clearly labeled and control manuals available at every moment, and the convention of visually confirming a control device before turning it on are all just layers and layers of safety measures, accounting for every possible scenario.
>>
>>332064929
>Implying I wasnt sent one to review weeks ago
>>
I just want a VR head set that lets me escape reality so it doesnt hurt as much
>>
>>332067703
well none of those are concerns for a home VR device anyways, since like you said its for relaxing in a stress-free environment. so no panicking wondering which button to press
>>
File: no_thanks_oniichan.jpg (118 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
no_thanks_oniichan.jpg
118 KB, 960x540
>$800
>For tech demos
>>
>>332067862
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=31#sort_by=_ASC&category1=998&category2=31&page=1
>>
>>332065075
wait don't they ship in may?
>>
>>332067671
>That alone seems like a pretty compelling case for motion controls to me.
I disagree, since there is no physical feedback worth mentioning. Sure, in the future, if we actually establish meaningful systems that simulate physical feedback, then I'll happily jump on the room-scale hype train, but I think that is actually going to be much more of a physical challenge to solve than the VR was itself.
And I disagree with the last notion. Human brain is heavily evolved for precise fine motor control, and LESS for broad scale motion. Swinging your hands in an arch is less natural way for us to manipulate our surrounding than careful work of the fingertips, and more importantly: OFFERS MUCH LESS OF A PRECISE AND FINE INPUT DIFFERENTIATION. On other words: there is just less things you can do that way. ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY when you consider the inevitable physical constraints of the room. You want a game where you explore MORE than one room of physical space? Well, you are fucked, because since your motion in game translates from physical steps in real world, you would be running straight into wall soon. There is reason why all of the games in LAB are variations on turret segments.

Using full body motion is not more natural way to control our environment (consider the absolute naturally with which we, say, control cars just by as minimal motions as possible), and actually poses increased constraints on what you can do. You can't walk in a straight line for further than your room enables you, for an example.
>>
VR is just a fad. I'ts just strapping a smart phone to your face.
>>
File: socool.png (83 KB, 420x397) Image search: [Google]
socool.png
83 KB, 420x397
>>332068023
THE action RPG
http://store.steampowered.com/app/414510/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1
>>
>>332068023

>3 of these games actually look like they'll be fun in VR

I know it's only the start of VR but come on
>>
>>332067330
we have a winner
>>
>>332068172
>its actually an FPS with rpg elements
>>
>>332067801
I don't mind stress (Elite can be stresfull), but I do mind increased entry-level requirements above CERTAIN threshold. For an instance, I did actually love Elite's control scheme, which took me quite a few hours to learn and "master". I loved how my first landings were actually stressful. I don't mind learning.
But PERFECT MEMORIZATION OF ALL CONTROL INPUT blindly, when I'm constantly switching between joystick and keyboard is just too much: I don't think if I can do that.
And that worries me. Remembering page-up for landing gear and C for cargo jettisoning or whatever is fine: being able to hit them reliably blindfolded is another.
>>
>>332068150
I think you're overstating the importance of physical feedback. Not to say that it's not important, sensory homunculus and all, but you're saying that having motion controls without full haptics is a deal breaker, and I don't think that follows.
And who's talking about "swinging your hands in an arc", or whatever? Look at a video of someone playing Fantastic Contraption or something like Hover Junkers. The whole point of those things is that you use your hands in the game like you would use them in real life. Grabbing things and moving things around are what your hands are designed for.
As for locomotion, sure, that's an issue. But it's an issue in all VR games that don't use a cockpit.

Oh, and using cars as an example of "natural interactions", as in something we evolved to do? Come on. That's just silly. Humans are primates. Your hands and arms evolved to grab things to eat, not to push buttons.
>>
>>332068541
>>332068150
Oh, also, you happen to ignore every single testimony from everyone who has tried VR motion controls. Like, literally, every one. People have had those Vive dev kits for months now.
>>
>strapping a 3DS screen to your face
>VR
>>
No. It's a gimmick. Strapping a screen in front of your fucking eyes ins't my definition of future.

Besides i have 9/10 vision in one eye and 3/10 with the other, so technically that "technology" isn't for me. And i don't even want to imagine how awful VR would be with glasses.

Fuck this shit gimmic. Can't wait for real future, like holograms.
>>
>>332068682
I wish a 3DS screen was even half as good as just a smartphone's
>>
>>332064929
Of course, I'm ready for the future since I'm not a poorfag
Only 9/10 days to go, pretty excited senpai
>>
File: 14576895136862.jpg (53 KB, 600x593) Image search: [Google]
14576895136862.jpg
53 KB, 600x593
>>332068023
>Literally who: the list
>>
>first wave
>no good games
>little support
Im just glad its not my money being wasted on this gimmick.
>>
>>332068840
>so technically that "technology" isn't for me
Stereoscopy isn't the most important part about VR, tracking is.
>And i don't even want to imagine how awful VR would be with glasses
I hear the Vive can be adjusted fairly well.
>holograms.
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
File: GamerGirl.jpg (254 KB, 980x1479) Image search: [Google]
GamerGirl.jpg
254 KB, 980x1479
>>332064929
Why would I buy goggles with lenses for 800$ when I can just build a PC for the same price and play so many more games?
>>
>>332065224
>My concern with buying it right away, which I almost did, is that by the time GAMES come out, they'll be releasing Vive 2 with a better screen
the games are already there and im not talking about the gimmicky ones
all kinds of simulators and games already support this including the following
arma
DCS
most "serious" racing games
basically any game were independent head movement is possible
>>
>>332068541
>but you're saying that having motion controls without full haptics is a deal breaker, and I don't think that follows.
I'm not saying that it's a deal breaker, I'm saying it just drastically limits the actual number of control systems you can emulate. You can emulate, say, driving a car or a hover bike (tough not as satisfyingly as you would do by simply HOLDING A PHYSICAL STEERING WHEEL). You can emulate a gun, though you CAN'T emulate any kind of kickback, which is already a problem. You can emulate operating a turrent.
You can't emulate melee fights, or gunfights with physical knockback. You can't emulate joysticks or similar devices more efficiently than an actual joystick could. Grabbing things will always be an iffy proposition, since you'll never be grabbing anything: you'll be just WAVING YOUR ARMS. And that is a problem. You can do only so much with waving our arms in front of you. You don't feel the physical restriction of the object.

>As for locomotion, sure, that's an issue. But it's an issue in all VR games that don't use a cockpit.
Not really. It's incredibly easy to forget that you are moving forward by pressing a button or analogue stick. Locomotion in seated VR isn't any more of a problem than locomotion in standard video games. Cockpit or no cockpit.

>Come on. That's just silly.
It's actually not silly at all. The control scheme we created for cares was created to reflect our natural needs and preferences for interaction. We did not evolve for driving cars, but we created car-driving scheme to fit within the constraints of things we evolved to do. And human hands evolved for very careful, fine control, for manipulating fine tools. Buttons are just the newest transformation of the tools we used before.
>>
>>332069095
DK2 owner here
>DCS in VR

lol no

it's broken

VR is supported only on paper
>>
>>332069095
Does arma support motion controls?
>>
>>332069220
Come on anon, have a look at those control schemes. Unless you have a keyboard under your toes arma wont work at all.
>>
>>332068639
No, I did not. I've read just about every I could find. None of them adressed any of concerns. They all endlessly gush about how cool the experience of the VR is, and how the motion controls do work as they are supposed to, but none of them actually really said anything that would dismiss my concern about the FUNDAMENTAL CONSTRAINTS FOR THE TYPES OF INTERACTIONS that can be held using room-scale VR.
>>
>>332069220
>Does arma support motion controls?
Depends on what. For camera controls? Yes, it has been supporting those for almost a decade.
But you won't be able to play arma with motion controls only, I can assure you of that.
>>
>>332069218
do tell your experience with it, i got a trackIR5 im preparation for VR as to get used to moving my head around and thus far its pretty usefull
>>332069220
as of right now i dont believe so, however emulating a mouse should be possible
my main concern is the accuracy but also how to handle weapons

>>332069286
you CAN make it work even with stuff like ACE and TFAR loaded
keep in mind the the motion controllers do have a few buttons to use and with a little creativity i can see it working

>>332069493
i think he means in terms of head tracking but even then buttons and stuff
>>
>preordering a gimmick
>>
>>332069197
You're talking about emulating all kinds of stuff like joysticks or whatever, but I think you're missing the point there. The point of motion controls is to let you do interactions that you couldn't do before, not to emulate things you could already have. Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush are probably good examples there. They don't use the tech to try to emulate other tech, they use it do let you do compelling things with your hands. I think your thinking here is limited. Things that aren't compelling on a screen can become so in VR.
Also, gunfights work just fine without recoil, and while melee probably requires a few workarounds, it seems to work pretty well in the Raw Data alpha already.

>It's incredibly easy to forget that you are moving forward by pressing a button or analogue stick.
It's also easy to get anywhere between queasy and motion sick if you accelerate or rotate in VR without doing it IRL. Cockpits help, as do other tricks like turning instantly or limiting peripheral vision, but locomotion in VR is far from as solved as in standard vidya.
>>
File: REEEEEE.gif (253 KB, 447x415) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEE.gif
253 KB, 447x415
>>332064929

>2nd batch in April

JUST KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>332069669
>do tell your experience with it, i got a trackIR5 im preparation for VR as to get used to moving my head around and thus far its pretty usefull

Performance. DCS performance is shitty even on a monitor, in VR it just totally breaks down into sub 50 territory even on pretty good rigs on lowest settings
>>
>>332069938
I'd take a second batch April order any day over a May one.
>>
>>332070073
its DCS, it runs like crap and im expecting it to do so
>>
File: adachi urgh.jpg (26 KB, 232x297) Image search: [Google]
adachi urgh.jpg
26 KB, 232x297
I'm having a gut feeling that I'll regret the 800+tax. So say I regret it, like badly. Don't laugh: Who do I sue?
>>
Yup. The Vive is the only true VR system right now. Rest are gimmicks. People will get bored of the seated gimmick quickly.
>>
>>332070207
On a scale of eagle to obesity, how american are you?
>>
>>332070168
You don't understand, VR performance is so fucking awful it is literally unplayable
>>
>>332069938

>first bathc of april
>my card runs out before april
>have to wait until late may

Feel my pain brah.
>>
>>332070320
My weight has nothing to do with being American. I'll be exercising the right to remain silent.
>>
>>332064929
I have an Oculus preorder that I made the day it went on sale. Still undecided if I want to cancel or not. Hard to tell at this point which one is worth the investment.
>>
Eye tracking seems to be a logical next step, beyond just resolution increases (though that is absolutely necessary).
>>
>>332067319

Why the fuck did you get a Rift? It's a shit system compared to the Vive. Anything the Rift can do, the vive can do and then some. It's better and cheaper.
>>
>>332069869
>The point of motion controls is to let you do interactions that you couldn't do before, not to emulate things you could already have.
But that is exactly fucking pointless. I don't play games thinking "wow, I really wish I had to push my hand out and then backwards instead of pressing "f" when I want to interact with a lever." Wii control systems did not lead to better games or better gameplay mechanics. We don't really need to extend the combinatory options of control systems of mouse and keyboard, with the exception of head-tracking, and even that is worth while in cockpit bound games.
My thinking is not limited. WE HAVE ALREADY BEEN THERE: Wii existed, kinect existed. We KNOW that we don't actually benefit anything by substituting functional input devices with different ones thinking how "novel" it is:
No. Waving your hand around instead of pressing button does not give us new way of interacting with the game space. WE HAD TRIED IT.

Your views of solving the problems with physical feedback on things like guns and melee are laughably naive: guns without recoil means neutering pretty much the single most important aspect about emulating gunfights, and melee is far more difficult than you can imagine (see the utter train wreck of Clank kickstarter).

Yeah, motion sickness can be an issue, but certainly FAR, FAR less of an issue than solving physical feedback or locomotion restraints with room-scale VR.

It's not that I don't think room scale VR does not work, by the way. I just think that unlike VR itself, the room-scale feature is a gimmick that will add VERY LITTLE, as it comes with incredibly tight constraints to the whole system. Because in the end, you will always play a game where you are constrained to a 2x2m platform, shooting a bow, or throwing grenades, or operating a make-believe sling, and that is pretty much it. Ironically the scope of the space the VR can create becomes neutered by the fact that you can't actually move freely in it.
>>
File: Speccy.png (38 KB, 724x491) Image search: [Google]
Speccy.png
38 KB, 724x491
>>332065245
Source?
>>
File: D92WVOp.png (6 KB, 264x149) Image search: [Google]
D92WVOp.png
6 KB, 264x149
>>332070313

Oculus is panicking already. Valve stepped their game up so much. SteamVR now fully supports the Oculus Rift. Facebook wanted the entire VR market for themselves and now Valve is forcing their hand into an open market. A shit storm is brewing...
>>
>>332070572
>WE HAVE ALREADY BEEN THERE: Wii existed, kinect existed. We KNOW that we don't actually benefit anything by substituting functional input devices with different ones thinking how "novel" it is:
>No. Waving your hand around instead of pressing button does not give us new way of interacting with the game space. WE HAD TRIED IT.

You're an idiot to be honest. Can't you see the difference of interacting with motion controllers on a 2D screen and a 3D screen which you are inside? Surely you must realize that it's not the same.
>>
>>332070385
i understand the peformance hits although frankly speaking i plan on playing arma with it
turned based first person shooter here i come

hardware appropriate for it will become will have a decent pricing soon enough
>>
>>332070572
>I don't play games thinking "wow, I really wish I had to push my hand out and then backwards instead of pressing "f" when I want to interact with a lever."
Again, every single time you put a VR headset on someone for the first time, they do EXACTLY that. They reach out for things.
It's the difference between seeing your game on a screen and seeing it in VR that creates the demand for motion controls.

>guns without recoil means neutering pretty much the single most important aspect about emulating gunfights
I can hardly imagine how neutered it must be in regular games, then.
There are tons of videos of people having fun with VR shooting on youtube, going back to hacked together demos in 2014. Are you denying that those exist, or just that the people in them are having proper fun? Evidence is not on your side here, dude.
>>
>>332070704
>Can't you see the difference of interacting with motion controllers on a 2D screen and a 3D screen which you are inside?
No, I don't see the difference. From an actual mechanical perspective, there is no difference. You are restricting the amount of actual input choices to step back and forth through an empty space, and wave your hands around. The space is STILL EMPTY, you are still completely constrained by artificial restrains in your movement, and your input command are still restricted to flailing your fucking hands.
The fact that the projection differs is actually trivial. Yeah, it will look a little more impressive. But the problem of Wii and Kinect was not in how it looked: it was in that the FUNDAMENTAL MEANS OF INTERACTIONS DID NOT LEND THEMSELVES TO GOOD GAMEPLAY MECHANICS.
Yeah. The "wii sport resort" equivalent of a room scale VR will probably be really cool. The virtual bowling and virtual frisbee throwing games will be so much more impressive than they were on the fucking TV screen, but that is not going to change anything about the fact that Wii sport resort is the mechanical apex of the potential of the room VR gameplay options as of now.
Motion control systems make for shit gameplay, and that is really all you need to fucking know.
>>
>>332070572
You encounter a lever next to a computer in real life. Do you press F on the computer to pull the lever? No, you pull the fucking lever, because that's the natural thing to do. The same applies to VR.
>>
>>332070569
>Vive
>Cheaper.
No it isn't.
>>
>>332070704

>I'm retarded and can't possibly imagine what the actual difference between these hypothetical scenarios are

There is no such thing as a 3D screen (that isn't a flickery headache inducing mess). The difference between a stationary monitor and a headset is one has direct analog control provided by your head movements. Otherwise you can still move the controllers along 3 axis.

You must realise you're talking shit right?
>>
>>332070468

You can change your billing information now. Contact HTC support.
>>
>>332071170

What the fuck are you even driveling on about?

Have you tried the Vive pre? If you had you would realize that you make no sense.
>>
>>332071301

Yes, considering you have to order the Touch, the extra camera and pay for shipping again to get to Vives level it's cheaper.
>>
>>332071095
>They reach out for things.
Cool, EXCEPT that is a reflex and is incredibly easy to get rid off, and does not tell us anything about how to make good fucking games.

It does not create a demand for motion controls, it triggers an involuntary reflex that has fuck all to do with game design.

>>332071095
>There are tons of videos of people having fun with VR shooting on youtube,
Yeah, people had fun with Wii the first two hours it came out too for fuck sake. That is not the fucking problem. Can you not read? How is this still not getting through to you:
Motion controls don't make good gameplay. They SEVERALY LIMIT YOUR ACTUAL INTERACTION OPTIONS AND WITH LACK OF PHSICAL FEEDBACK QUICKLY BREAK IMMERSION.
THEY ARE: BY THE MOTHERFUCKING COCKSUCKING DEFINITION OF THE WORD: A GIMMICK.
>>
The resolution is still too low, making the screen door effect really visible.
>>
>>332064929
Buy it, you faggots. Without early adopters it'll die on its ass.
>>
>>332071320

Called 7 times. Their support is the absolute worst support i have ever dealt with. When i told them you can change the billing information they called me a liar. Fuck them.
>>
>>332071383
The extra camera comes with the touch and you don't know how much it costs yet.
>>
>>332064929
Fuck no, as much as I want one, all early adopters will get fucked hard

Hoping there's enough morons who will though
>>
>>332071393
>SEVERALY LIMIT YOUR ACTUAL INTERACTION OPTIONS
How?
>>
>>332067467
sauce?
>>
>>332071190
Sure. Let's sacrifice all other gameplay mechanics for the option to physically wave my hand in a motion vaguely in the direction I would really wave if I was grabbing the lever. Cool.
WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST GAIN, GAMEPLAYWISE?
HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT ACTUALLY BENEFIT THE FUCKING GAME?!
>>
>>332071317
>The difference between a stationary monitor and a headset is one has direct analog control provided by your head movements
The difference in what you perceive goes beyond that. That's the entire point of virtual reality: that at some point, your visual system stops seeing the screen as a screen and starts seeing the stuff it displays as the actual world around you. That's why you get things like the pit experiment they've been doing at universities for years, where people can't bring themselves into stepping in a virtual pit that they perfectly well know isn't there, or people putting down their controllers on tables that don't exist.
>>
>>332071487

>The extra camera comes with the touch

Yes and you have to pay for it.
>>
>>332071560
>How?
How many clearly defined combinations of input can you create on mouse and keyboard?
Now how many can you create by waving our arms around like a spastic retard?
>>
File: f.jpg (11 KB, 277x329) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
11 KB, 277x329
>>332071461

Damn I'm so sorry. I'm already going crazy knowing I'm in the "2nd batch" of April which can be anywhere from the 5th - 30th. I guess we have to exercise our patience.
>>
>>332068284

>i was just pretending to be retarded

No anon, you are retarded.
>>
>>332071693
You know there are buttons and pad/sticks on it, right?
>>
>>332071393
>Yeah, people had fun with Wii the first two hours it came out too for fuck sake
Months. People have had those devs kits for months.
>SEVERALY LIMIT YOUR ACTUAL INTERACTION OPTIONS
They give you a different set of interaction options that hasn't been well explored. The potential for body language in multiplayer alone is huge.
>WITH LACK OF PHSICAL FEEDBACK QUICKLY BREAK IMMERSION.
There is literally zero indication of that happening.

>EXCEPT that is a reflex and is incredibly easy to get rid off,
I think this is indicative of your entire approach here. You see how VR, as a medium, is different from regular vidya, and your immediate reaction is to try and turn it back into regular vidya. The same thinking would turn movies into recorded stage plays or video games into interactive movies.
>>
>>332071693
>clearly defined combinations
What? You seem to be thinking in terms of gesture recognition here. That's mostly horse shit. You use your hands to directly manipulate things in 3D space, not to perform a gesture for the computer to recognize.
>>
>>332064929
Too expensive
Let the crazies with dosh to spare be the first into the money grinder till momentum of common use starts to kick up and the market competition grows enough to push prices to be lower.

So far it seems, and I don't even like PS4 that much, that the Play Station VR will be the one doing the best.
The install base of a one time purchase of a console people already own is a lot more manageable than upgrading a PC or building one for a pricer model.

Whether or not that speaks for the quality of the devices, I don't know. Haven't tried one yet. I just know people who know people who are getting a vive/oculus, and I sure as hell know I'm gonna be around to try it.

PSVR also has the advantage of guaranteeing there being a game for the thing. Whether they'll be any good or not is yet to be seen, same can be said for the others.

I remember posing an idea in a "Hows your game coming along Unity.png" thread of an idea for a game which I just called Rail Shooter, and it was about a multiplayer shooter game that took place on rollercoasters. I heard from someone that is actually happening somewhere, and I'm super happy about that.
>>
>>332071816
>You know there are buttons and pad/sticks on it, right?
Yep. So are ones on keyboard or controller. So we came back full circle and ended up by selling the feature by having limited capacity of doing something other systems can already do better.

>>332071905
>Months. People have had those devs kits for months.
Yes, but that is not what they are showing you in the propagation videos. What those videos are showing to you are people captivated by the sheer novelty of the experience. But novelty, by definition, wears off.

>They give you a different set of interaction options that hasn't been well explored.
Like? How does it offer any different mean of interaction that previous motion controls had not yet explored?

>There is literally zero indication of that happening.
At this point you are just acting like a retard. Of course we know this is a fucking issue, and it has even been addressed by many of the people who tried the damn thing. There is a reason why the star-wars demo for Vive does not feature actual fencing, just a turret segment mini games.

>You see how VR, as a medium, is different from regular vidya, and your immediate reaction is to try and turn it back into regular vidya.
I'm interested in what relevance can VR bring to video games. If it can't do video games well, then I don't think it's worth buying for playing video games. You are claiming it's something "different". I want to know what. You can SEE things differently: yes, but that is a matter of the VR alone. Motion controls define how you INTERACT with the system, and INTERACTIONS are key for GAMES. So yes, I'm logically curious: is this good for games or fucking not. And the answer is: not really. For "something else" than games? Yeah, but that is not the fucking subject matter right now.

>>332072243
Cool. Except no physical feedback, and limiting the interaction space to moving around ghostly images of things. Amazing. How does that make for good games again?
>>
>>332072664
>So far it seems, and I don't even like PS4 that much, that the Play Station VR will be the one doing the best.
In terms of units sold? Absolutely.
It'll all be dwarfed by mobile VR, of course.
>>
>>332065837
Are you me, anon. This is my exact situation. I was worried about having the vive set up in an adjacent room but I'm glad I'm not alone
>>
>>332068107
Nope
>>
>>332072860
>and it has even been addressed by many of the people who tried the damn thing
It has? I want to see that. I always see people who haven't tried VR making a huge issue out of the lack of physical feedback, and I don't think I've seen it done by a single person who has.
>>
>>332072958
Speaking of sales yeah.
I also forgot Mobile VR is a thing, but I can only wonder how limited something like that may come about.
I suppose in the same way that a phone is good for some of the things a PC is good for, which is to say lite user versions of similar shit, but still do the job.
>>
>>332073321
I hear the Gear VR is pretty good, and I'm thinking about getting one because I need a new phone anyway.
>>
>>332064929

>Falling for the first gen meme

I seriously hope you didn't do this.

We'll see how that new Myst games goes and then we'll talk.
>>
>>332072860
>How does it offer any different mean of interaction that previous motion controls had not yet explored?
VR can put your video game hands where your real hands are. That makes it a completely different beast than the Wii or whatever.
>>
>>332069197
Locomotion in seated VR is a problem, anon. I have a DK2, and even after trying it a few hundred times, it's still iffy and often nauseating to run around by pressing w or using an analogue stick.
>>
>>332064929
you guys aren't seriously buying into year 1 VR, right?

like, let's be real here, it's all going to be fucking shit until they smooth out all the problems and a competitive VR industry becomes a real thing

with sony and vive and etc, they are all doing basically the same thing and you'd be a fool to buy one so early on.

wait til facerig tech combines with VR and we get Xrd tier VR graphics
>>
File: foveated_rendering_demo_fove.jpg (44 KB, 1200x603) Image search: [Google]
foveated_rendering_demo_fove.jpg
44 KB, 1200x603
I think I'll wait for the second generation, which will probably have a number of features that'll immediately render the current shit obsolete:

-Higher resolution displays, so you'll see further
-Eye tracking & foveated rendering (pic related): only the areas you are looking at are rendered at full resolution, everything else is rendered with less detail because you can't see it that well anyway. Saves tons of processing power.
-Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation (possibly): Stimulates your inner ear to trick you into thinking you're moving, can reduce or even eliminate motion sickness. Samsung have shown off that they're developing something for this. This shit means that even mainstream vr titles will be able to use good old control stick locomotion instead of unimmersive teleportation based bullshit.

The controller market and tracking solutions and stuff will also have improved by then. Hopefully Oculus will ditch that evolutionary dead-end known as constellation cameras and go with valve's magical laserbeams.
>>
File: VirtualReality.jpg (64 KB, 658x412) Image search: [Google]
VirtualReality.jpg
64 KB, 658x412
>>332073585
>>332074032

I looked at first gen HDM's in a different way.

For the past 5 months I've been looking for a good 1440p gaming monitor. The only good ones where the G-Sync Asus and Acer ones. But their prices where ~$1000(CAD) average. I waited for the price to drop but it never happened. Then I saw a video of SteamVR and Virtual Desktop and my mind was blown. I can have a private virtual monitor along with Steam's VR games. It's not all that bad for 1st gen considering the Vive's total resolution is 2160x1200.

I recommend watching this video to bring your hopes up on VR and its capabilities/compatability:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjE6qXd6Itw
>>
How long do you think it'll take some autismo to make a shitty columbine simulator?
>>
>>332064929
I don't make enough money, sadly.
>>
>>332074163
I really doubt GVS is coming in second gen. Yeah, Samsung has that prototype or whatever, but electroshocking your nerves is some fucked up stuff. I doubt people will want to take any kind of risk with that.
What I can see happening, though, is full body tracking by computer vision.
Which you need cameras for.
>>
>>332074167
Dude, stop right there. If you expect your virtual monitor to have a higher perceived resolution than what you already have standing on your desk, you will be disappointed.
>>
>>332071573
little caprice
>>
>>332074686

Yes I'm aware that its really 1080x1200 and lower clarity but the experience stays the same. A small sacrifice for a virtual world.
>>
>Buying first gen tech
Thank you for your expensive beta test
I'll buy when it's cheaper and polished
>>
>>332074913
It's also spread over a much larger part of your field of vision, that's the real problem. The viewing angle on a monitor is something like 60°, these have like 110°.
>>
>>332075218

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMCe4LESKE

I watched this guy use it and he says it's pretty good. He's able to read, watch videos/livestreams (while reading the chat) and play games with no problem. I think the only problem that people are going to have with it is the low resolution.
>>
>>332075218
>>332075582

Oh and I forgot one important thing; You have to have mastered touch typing. If you can't touch type then using Virtual Desktop is extremely uncomfortable.
>>
>>332075827
Does make you wonder if tracked VR keyboards with capacitive keys will become a thing.
>>
>>332073152
>It has? I want to see that.
Just look up the RPS review of the Star Wars VR demo that came out few days ago.

>>332073616
No, that actually does not change anything, sadly. I have to go now, so this really is up to you figuring the issue for yourself sooner than later. All I can tell you is: if you have at least a little bit of common sense, you postpone buying a Vive by several months.
>>
File: 1376930597644.jpg (53 KB, 475x533) Image search: [Google]
1376930597644.jpg
53 KB, 475x533
>>332070512
>American
>Exercising anything
>>
File: kek.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>332076229

>No, that actually does not change anything, sadly.

https://youtu.be/iWproPHhHd0?t=10m42s

If it's all the same bullshit how does he flip the controller and catch it in VR so accurately?

>It's just a gimmick bro
>>
File: a.png (712 KB, 1042x677) Image search: [Google]
a.png
712 KB, 1042x677
No, but next week I'll go to Akihabara and try it with Muv Luv.

The lines will probably be extreme.
>>
>>332076630
Do you know anything about that demo? I've never heard of it before.
>>
>>332076735
No, it just says you'll be in TSF. Once I get home from it, I'll make a thread most likely, so just wait for next Sunday. Well, if I'll get to try it. Considering the lines will be long, I'll probably go few hours in advance to line up.
>>
>>332073585
>there will be a second gen if no one buys the first gen

Sounds like a logical fallacy to me.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.