[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have a serious conversation for once, /v/. What do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: consider-the-following.jpg (24 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
24 KB, 600x451
Let's have a serious conversation for once, /v/.

What do you think overall about the videogame industry, from the AAA to the indie, in its current state? Do you think that the governments of the countries which host a large amount of game producing companies and developers should step in and take more control over the matter? Do you think that the gaming industry has gone rampant without much regulation and violated consumer rights? Or do you think that national governments have intervened too much already and that they should scale back the regulations they have on the industry? Is the gaming industry under a heavy threat of censorship and government propaganda?

I want to see what you have to say about it. This is inspired from a thread I saw earlier today and I figure it would be interesting to generate a discussion about the legality of what's going on with videogames right now and whether the overall consensus is that there's too much or too little being done about them.

And yes, I suppose I could post this over on /pol/, but it would probably get shat on over there moreso than here.
>>
I'd hope that there would be some interest in having a discussion about this. It seems like something important to talk about, given how /v/ loves to pretty much shit on other political issues regarding games such as SJWism and generational culture.
>>
>>331982612
I'd love to lurk on a thread like this. but everyone here is a fucking retard.
>>
>>331982612
What in the gaming industry do you think is so bad that it would warrant government intervention?
>>
>>331982612
>from the AAA to the indie
>Implying there's anything inbetween
Gaming died when the AA games died.
>>
>>331984709
That's why I'm asking. It's just a sort of gauge on how /v/ feels about the video game industry and if it's the government that's violating consumer rights, the industry that's violating consumer rights, or if things should remain in a status quo in their current state, suggesting that consumer rights aren't at jeopardy right now.
>>
>>331984946
Season passes and microtransactions aren't nearly bad enough for the government to intervene, that's the worst thing I could think of in the industry right now. I thought that I might have missed something else going wrong if people were even considering gov intervention as a possibility
>>
>>331985240
Well, when I say government intervention, I suppose I mean legislation or court rulings providing regulation against the video game industry.
>>
Laws and the general intelligence levels of consumers are ill prepared to face the ultrajewing that new technology and payment options enable. Companies are already circumventing gambling laws with the locked crate bullshit Valve came up with, and the last ten years have basically been escalating ways to scam people out of their money via deception, mental gymnastics and peer pressure. Unless people suddenly get a lot smarter, which they won't, things will continue to get worse. Can you think of a "mature" movie that is supposed to be taken seriously, that is split into piecemeal and being held hostage by pre-orders and "micro"transactions? Video games are basically the only industry where the distribution method enables unbelievable greed and where the consumers are too fucking stupid to stop putting up with it.
>>
>>331985327
>I mean legislation or court rulings providing regulation against the video game industry.
I know, what else could it mean?
>>
>>331985327
>Regulating harmless entertainment
For what purpose?
>>
>>331982612
>Let's have a serious conversation
>Video games

At least do like every other unhappy man and go discuss about politics.
>>
>>331982612
At least in the US:

Stop jewing out on public schools, then we'll have less retards, then we'll have better vidja.

That easy, really.
>>
>>331985487
I just wanted it to be clarified. I don't imagine cases such as arrests for game company CEOs or something unless someone fucked up really badly.

>>331985576
Dunno. You tell me. I want people to actually express their opinions on the state of the video game industry. I want to harbor intellectual discussion about what people think of current industry practices and government laws/regulations.
>>
>>331982612
>What do you think overall about the videogame industry, from the AAA to the indie, in its current state?
All shit, AAA killed medium sized devs, the indie sector refused to step up and become the new medium dev and instead is now producing low quality knock off mobile store tier crap.
>Do you think that the governments of the countries which host a large amount of game producing companies and developers should step in and take more control over the matter?
What the fuck? Of course not, goverment should not interfeer with industry.
>Do you think that the gaming industry has gone rampant without much regulation and violated consumer rights?
Consumers don't have rights, and no, companies have done nothing to the point where it has violated any tenets of a functioning market place. Everything they have done has been rewarded and encouraged by the casuals
>Or do you think that national governments have intervened too much already and that they should scale back the regulations they have on the industry?
What the fuck are you even talking about? I know of barely any countries that have any fucking regulations on this industry specifically, only the most general laws that might apply to it.
>Is the gaming industry under a heavy threat of censorship and government propaganda?
No, anyone who thinks this is either retarded or they actually live in some shithole dictatorship that doesn't matter in the scheme of things, video games or not.
>>
>>331985470
So do you never buy DLC or piecemeal content or are you just as "fucking stupid" as you claim everyone else is?
>>
>>331986052
Well fair enough. Any regulation applied to the vidya industry should be the same as applied to other entertainment industries. While it's easy to call out games for e.g. excessive levels of violence, it's not really more than most other mediums.

CEO arrests though? For what? Shirt DLC practices? They might suck, but I don't think they're illegal.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.