[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game worth buying if I love 2D fighters, haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: pokken_tournament.jpg (166 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pokken_tournament.jpg
166 KB, 1280x720
Is this game worth buying if I love 2D fighters, haven't played Pokemon since emerald, and hated the Soul Calibur games?
>>
>>331859274
Download the demo and find it out.
>>
>>331859274

it's a nice little fighter. it's not much like Soul Calibur in my opinion. also here's a bit of a learning curb to it, but you can have some insanely fun matches and it gets addictive
>>
File: Old Shrug.jpg (15 KB, 274x220) Image search: [Google]
Old Shrug.jpg
15 KB, 274x220
Tough call.

Soul Calibur is kind of irrelevant, and it depends on how you feel about Pokemon, there's no advanced knowledge required, it's just designs, ultimately. If you don't like 3D arena combat like Naruto Ultimate Ninja, that makes up roughly half the game, and the other is solid 2D fighting.
>>
There's a demo
>>
>>331859434

>3D arena combat like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm

why do people keep saying this?

I finally got my hands on the game and not only does field phase end insanely quickly usually but it plays totally differently - mosly by virtue of the fact that one good smack, ranged or otherwise, will end it
>>
>>331859274
If you're a pokemon fan and enjoy arena fighters like Naruto but not as broken, then you'd enjoy this game. Only if you like pokemon though, if you're not a fan don't bother
>>
>>331859637

It's still part of the game, and certain characters are more suited to getting into it, and you can just as easily go back to field mode with a grab.

Also, Naruto comes to mind because it's the only game I can think of for even a visual comparison.
>>
>>331859434
>Naruto ultimate ninja
You're retarded.

>>331859274
Try the demo or watch some gameplay. The field phase is fairly unique (all it shares in common with NUNS is 3D movement), and the 2D gameplay is very reminiscent of Bloody Roar
>>
>>331859609
>There's a demo
>>331859363
ty
>>
>>331859908
europe only
>>
It's Tekken-lite. Literally.
>>
File: 1393305805614.jpg (19 KB, 500x404) Image search: [Google]
1393305805614.jpg
19 KB, 500x404
>>331859960
>>
>>331859274

it's fun

not sure it has the same depth as most 2d fighters, but it certainly has it's own flavor

it's kindof a different animal though, i can at least say it's a good time, maybe not your cup of tea though
>>
File: wat.png (205 KB, 433x276) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
205 KB, 433x276
>>331859995
It plays absolutely nothing like Tekken in any capacity in either phase.

>>331859274
Retards who haven't played it (or tekken for that matter) will tell you it's a mix of Naruto and Tekken. They couldn't be more wrong.

Besides the controls and mechanics being nothing like either of those games they are mostly wholly unique. The attack triangle is a departure from traditional fighting game mechanics and the way the game is played is very character and matchup-dependent.

Even just watching the game might give you a better idea about how it plays but until you get your hands on it you still won't understand.
>>
>>331859430
>learning curb
>it's a doggy dog world
It's learning curve
>>
>>331860370
This is how I know you're a dumb shit. Not only was it made by the Tekken team but every Pokemon has, literally, moves pulled from Tekken characters right down to frame data and animations. Entire stages were pulled directly from Tekken and dressed up in Pokemon imagery.

It's Tekken-lite in every capacity.

So, no, you're a fucking retard.
>>
File: 1445403232226.jpg (88 KB, 729x590) Image search: [Google]
1445403232226.jpg
88 KB, 729x590
>>331860370
>The attack triangle, literally ripped straight out of DoA, is a departure from traditional fighting game mechanics

Everything else you said is spot on though
>>
>>331860707
They have the moves, but how the pokemon themselves navigate and control, as well as how moves are executed render the tekken references visual only, as the game plays nothing like tekken.
>>
>>331860707
>made by the tekken team
Doesn't make the games similar, 'tard.
>moves pulled from tekken characters
Yes, pikachu has EWGF. Guess what: animations are less important than mechanics.
>duh stages!
You mean the meaningless set dressing?

Yeah, see, people who actually play fighting games understand that mechanics are what make the game, and Pokken plays nothing like Tekken. Go home, shitter.
>>
>>331860597

honestly i was probably gonna keep saying it until somebody corrected me

thank you
>>
>>331860707
Jesus you're retarded.
They have little Tekken references in the visuals but the gameplay has nothing to do with Tekken other than both being fighters that exist in a 3D space.
>>
>>331859274
Its an arena fighter akin to bloody roar and gundam extreme vs. with 2D fighting like street fighter and the old marvel fighting games

You'll recognize most of the cast since 60% of them are gen 1 and 3 pokemon
>>
I've had a lot of fun with it. Haven't played with randoms though, just with friends. The fact there's like no execution barrier on moves and it's just timing/spacing/strategy is refreshing, plus the netcode's amazing. I've actually been able to like, immediately react to stuff with those two things working together.
>>
>>331860707
Jesus Christ kid, no. It plays NOTHING like tekken. Not even close.

You made a comparison to a game you know nothing about and got called out on it. Stop sperging.
>>
>>331860060
Get cucked, Amerifat
>>
File: 1457311174565.jpg (79 KB, 500x621) Image search: [Google]
1457311174565.jpg
79 KB, 500x621
>>331860370
>>331860707
The game obviously has Tekken influences, between the animations, the juggle and wall splat-heavy combo system, and the style of the stages, but the core gameplay is not a 3D Fighter.

Field Phase is totally free-movement, where you can move your character in every direction while jumping and attacking. The closest thing to it is those 3rd-Person action anime games like Naruto, but it's still far from that, considering it's almost entirely a ranged game during that phase. It's more about stage control and well-placed/well-timed approaches.

Duel Phase is a 2D Fighter with a skewed camera angle (designed for two players on two different screens). You can't sidestep or anything like it Tekken, so it's not 3D in its mechanics at that time. The actual mixup game is also totally different from most fighters, as it balances things with a Rock/Paper/Scissors system using Attacks, Grabs, and Counters, which is honestly my favorite way I've seen a game balance a dedicated Block Button.

It's honestly pretty simple to pick up, but you're going to need to learn all of your moves as well as find out which set of assist Pokemon fit your style the best. After that, though, it's a very good, fun game.

Machamp main reporting, by the way. Thought I was gonna main Blaziken and PikaLibre since the former has been my bro forever and the latter because I'm a big fan of wrestling, but then I realized Champ is just Zangief and immediately made him #1. I also like the Cubone/Diglett assists with him.
>>
>>331860370
>>331860707
>>331859995
It doesnt play like tekken because its not fucking tekken holy shit
>>
>>331862914
Living without refugees is cucked. Sweden go.
>>
Calling it Pokken was such a fucking mixed blessing

on one hand it makes people's ears perk up and primes them give it a chance as an actual fighting game

on the other hand it's only superficially like tekken (or at least, not enough like it for some people), pissing off the people who went in expecting, you know, Pokemon tekken

(but thank god it wasn't that, that would've been dumb as hell)
>>
>>331860707
>moves pulled from Tekken characters right down to frame data and animations
im gonna need a source and something more viable than "go look for yourself". I know Harada worked on both tekken and pokken, can you name anyone else? if you can't give a single source on the frame data bit im going to have to imply you're completely full of shit and dont even understand anything about frames in fighting games
>>
>>331859274
it's like tekken x naruto without the good parts from either game
>>
File: I'mma find you.png (114 KB, 263x298) Image search: [Google]
I'mma find you.png
114 KB, 263x298
>>331859274
>and hated the Soul Calibur games?
>>
>>331865832
this
The name sounds good, but faggots are shitting on the game because it doesnt play like Tekken, instead of praising/hating the game for what it is instead for what it could have been
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.