[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if we can't tell the difference between VR and real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: 1445584047704.jpg (45 KB, 540x361) Image search: [Google]
1445584047704.jpg
45 KB, 540x361
What if we can't tell the difference between VR and real word? Can it happen?
Explain me /v
>>
Anything can happen Anon, you just have to believe.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
It's entirely possible to "hijack" all sensory nerves leading into your brain, as well as all motor nerves leading out, such that your entire reality can be faked by a sufficiently advanced computer. We don't have the technology to do this, but there's not really anything that suggests it's impossible.

If whatever program you're "trapped" in is perfect enough, it would be completely impossible to tell you're in a simulation.

But, we probably won't have this technology for a few centuries at best.
>>
>>331824738
What you are asking is basically what immersion is. You will always know it is not real.. but your brain will let you believe it is.
>>
File: 1452299380189.jpg (82 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
1452299380189.jpg
82 KB, 401x372
>>331824738
What if we are in VR right now?
>>
If everything going on right now is VR, fuck the server host for not making my avatar a girl.
>>
>>331824738
It won't happen any time soon
>>
>>331824738
When it comes, I predict there will be severe negative psychological, physical and social implications with it.
Because it'd be akin to a drug. Like, actually a trip.
>>
What is the difference between VR and the real world?
>>
>>331824738
Not possible, VR is currently too primitive

It is literally nothing but having a monitor on your face
>>
Doesn't the Oculus Rift ship on the 28th? How long does it take to ship
>>
File: when-you-see-it-02.jpg (45 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
when-you-see-it-02.jpg
45 KB, 480x360
what happens if you die in vr?
>>
>>331825263
So as long as we cant touch, taste, smell and there are pixels we are fine?
Also body movements and our sight will be different so does it also support your theory?
>>
>>331824738
that remind of the story about a guy who fell asleep while he was playing a VR game, when he woke up inside the game he said that the game felt extremely real for a few seconds that he could feel the enviorment and the heat of the sun and things like that
>>
>>331825443
>you've been in the VR your whole life
>It's finally time to leave
>Have to get accustomed to a whole new way to control your body
>A whole new array of senses
>Awareness on a whole new level
>Reality is much more complex than it seemed in the vr
>>
>>331825670
>>331825670
If you die in the game, you die for real
>>
>plug into full senses VR
>It tricks your brain into experiencing whatever you want
>You don't even feel hunger or pain or malnutrition because it overrides that with whatever you're experiencing in the VR world
>You can plug in, but you'll die in three days without water and not even feel it.

Would you /v/?
>>
>>331825762
So would it be 3 vr days too or is my perception of time different there?
>>
>>331825762
It would never be released to the public
>>
>>331825731
OP here I am not talking about SOA bullshit. I am talking about what if I dont give a fuck about life threatining dangers in real life, like touching hot stuff, cars, jumping etc.
>>
>>331825846
>Tricks your brain into experiencing whatever you want
It could be 3 days, 3 seconds, or even 3 years
>>
>>331825924
I'd do it if it made me not scared of niggers
>>
File: 1403579233940.jpg (43 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1403579233940.jpg
43 KB, 250x250
>>331824738
Read Descartes.
No, we can't.

>>331825443
If it's possible, even with future technology, to make a simulated world, chances are we are just living in a simulation.
>>
>>331826000
yeah exactly I am talking about inception bullshit.
>>
File: 1439837659392.png (593 KB, 1281x722) Image search: [Google]
1439837659392.png
593 KB, 1281x722
>>331824738
Inevitably there will be one mentally unstable faggot who will end up killing someone because his damaged brain couldn't differentiate reality from vr and the old men in charge of western media who don't understand anything not from their generation will use it to campaign against VR technology and try to ban it.

The cycle will begin again.
>>
No as vr tech gets more realistic real life will git more realistic
The progression of tech is unstoppable
>>
File: lf.gif (612 KB, 500x233) Image search: [Google]
lf.gif
612 KB, 500x233
>>331825924
o yeah i see what you are saying

like what would happen if someone gets used to respawning everytime they die in a VR game to the point where he forgets that shit could kill him in real life

yeah that could happen
>>
there is anecdotal evidence that some people are displaying symptoms of depersonalization disorder.

it's not so much that they can't tell current gen VR apart from reality but more that they're not sure reality is real.

it's somewhat troubling. expect a lot more of this stuff. if you have kids/younger siblings definitely keep them away or severely limit their exposure to vr headsets for awhile at least.
>>
>>331826598
Sounds cool. Maybe i'll hate myself less if I start thinking my life isn't real.
>>
>>331825762
There would be almost no reason not to do this if you're a loner. The only danger I can think of is being attacked in real life.
>>
>>331826598
I could see that. VR gives you a taste of what is possible, and makes you wonder if simulating reality is.
>>
>>331825707
There are more senses than the five most people are familiar with, many of which are simply way too difficult to simulate in a manner where you can't tell the difference between real life and VR.

Hearing and vision are not terribly difficult to simulate. Smell has some methods that are being developed. Taste isn't horribly important for a VR setting, but is a pretty massive challenge anyway.

But then there's touch. You could maybe make some fancy gloves that simulate basic sensations in your hands and feet, but full-body?

Proprioception is another one. Even with 100% accurate body tracking, what happens if you push against a virtual wall? It doesn't move, maybe your avatar's hands collide against the wall, but your real hands keep going and you're conscious of that. Could be simulated with an exoskeleton that restricts movements at appropriate times, but how much would something like that weigh?

Equilibrioception prevents fully immersive VR from every becoming an at-home thing. Like, imagine a VR racing game. It would feel so fake because you wouldn't feel the speed, or the g-forces when taking a turn, or the impacts.

tl;dr you have a ton of senses. 100% immersive VR pretty much requires a brain-in-a-jar approach.
>>
IF YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE YOU DIE IN THE GAME
>>
>>331824738
We already live in a VR
>>
>>331827829
Oh yeah and all of these senses interact with each other (see: motion sickness, which happens when your vision and equilibrioception disagree with each, i.e. on ships and cars). So if something is even slightly off, you'll be aware of it very quickly.
>>
>>331824738
There's pain sensation and even a sense of URGENCY.
The only difference is that it isn't actually happening.
>>
File: 1458536916450.png (637 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1458536916450.png
637 KB, 854x480
I'll know it's VR if girls are talking to me.
>>
>Are we in the Matrix?

Yes OP, we are. Fucking wake up
>>
SNEAKING MISSIONS 60
WEAPONS 80
VR...
>>
This NEET simulator isn't very fun.
>>
There was a movie that addressed this.

I don't think we'll see technology in our lifetimes that can fool us to the point we can't really tell anymore. It will however get advanced enough to fuck with our minds when we're not playing games occasionally.
>>
>>331825443
but I have a bad stomach ache right now
Why would I willingly give myself a VR stomach ache?
>>
>>331828206
so there is a god. atheists BTFO.
>>
>>331825443

Sometimes it feels like it. Today I feel like I have brain glitches. The weirdest goddamn sensations ever.
>>
Every year a few soldiers die in live combat exercises.
>>
>>331826093
Descartes is a fucking hack of a philosopher.

After "cogito ergo sum" he fucked up his reasoning ability entirely and proclaimed that a bunch of bullshit was true.
>>
>Thanks to the VR training I did on board the Discovery.
>Sneaking mission 60, Weapons 80
>that speech about video games preparing people for war in mgs4
Why did MGS1, MGS2, Ghost Babel and MGS4 focus so much on VR missions?
>>
>>331827829
I remember that Oculus was looking at tech to mess with the inner ear to make you feel the sensation of moving without actually doing so.

Then there's also the more fantasy "Full Dive" scenario where the computer intercepts the messages from the brain to the body and vice versa to have you actually be in a virtual reality.

Inner ear tech isn't that far off, but is less reliable. Full Dive requires actually understanding how the fuck the brain works and creating things to mess with it reliably.
>>
>>331825443
One day we'll all wake up on a mass colony ship after it finds a hospitable planet for us to settle on. Mark my words.
>>
>>331829254
I'll was only referring to Descartes for the whole dream argument stuff to make a point that if the VR is good enough, no, you wouldn't have any way to know it's VR.
>>
>>331825759
Sensory overload would turn brains into mush pies
>>
The odds are skewed in the favor that this all is a simulation.
Humanity has 3 options: we either die out soon, we get to the point where we can simulate AI and underutilize/ban it, or we allow it to proliferate to the point where we can put AIs into a virtual world. If we have one, why not two, why not ten thousand virtual realities? As the physical species makes more and more simulations, the probability of our shared "reality" being the real one drops to zero.
>>
>tfw I'm getting more and more tempted to spend 1.6k on a new setup just for VR

After watching that new virtual desktop trailer it's getting harder and harder to resist.
>>
>>331830648
I've read a paper that said the exact same thing, it was quite an amusing read. However, there's a question lingering. Does it matter? Why if this was really a simulation? Does life lose meaning?
>>
>>331830839
I suggest playing your backlog and emulating all the gems from the past first.

Hardware only gets cheaper.
>>
>>331827829
This.

Our brain has seriously redundant, extensive and persistent reality checks. The only thing that could really trick something as complex as a brain is the brain.

We operate so dexterously and effortlessly to begin with as an organism because of not only the connections between all these simultaneous senses and systems but the frequency of the background accounts of minute changes in our environment.

The only time this myriad processing is subdued, not disabled but willfully ignored temporarily, is during sleep and even then your brain is only humoring the situation. Lucid dreaming is a thing because even at rest we are still questioning our reality subconsciously.

/v/ at your own risk do light reading of studies on dissociation, dementia and derealization where the brain malfunctions. At its worst the brain can be confused but it is never completely convinced. It runs on doubt in order to operate at all. The most advanced wizard of Oz curtain show couldn't stop that unless it also shuts your brain off too.

At which point it's directly interfering with things discreetly involved with maintaining consciousness and regulation of involuntary actions that keep you alive. So I guess you could say it would be lethally immersive.
>>
>>331830927
No. It's the same shit. Just because life might be artificial, it's the same life we've been living and have only known.

For instance, I never understood when sci fi deals with themes of artificial intelligence learning about their artificial existence and going through some sort of crisis. It's still the same shit regardless. You are still conscious. Being artificial changes nothing. Same can be said about human life.
>>
>>331831165
>lethally immersive

That sounds like it should be the name of a fucking fantastic album.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.