[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>dev makes a new game after the last one was over 10 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: original.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>dev makes a new game after the last one was over 10 years ago
>it's full of references to the original
>>
>fallout 4 was so bad we cant even have legit NV threads without them seeming forced

pretty funny
>>
>>331802597
I didn't even ask for an NV thread I was just using it as an example
>>
Why exactly is nv good? the gunplay fucking sucks and the quests suck, the only decent thing about it is the gore and sometimes funny responses
>>
>>331804378
Like everything anon, its all a matter of taste. I guess people say New Vegas was GOAT is because when compared to 3 or 4, it does several aspects better that appeal to them.
>>
>>331804378
>the gore
Hello, Todd
>>
>>331804378
Probably because it was the first Fallout game in years that didn't have a completely fuckawful story, as opposed to the heretical Bethesda developed Fallout Tri.
>>
Great story, better gunplay than 3 and I dunno I like apocalyptic desert wastelands vs nuclear winters honestly. Not terribly simplified as 3 and of course 4.
>>
>>331804378
The characters, exploration, factions and the god tier DLC.
The gunplay is also fine if you edit the game to remove mouse acceleration
>>
>>331804378
it tried it's best to be a true Fallout game despite having to reuse shitty Bethesda-approved assets.
>>
If Obsideon makes another Fallout should they keep 4's in depth crafting? It's admittedly the one great thing about 4 but I feel like it could make Intelligence/Repair overpowered.
>>
>>331804378
wah wah i played NV like a FPS and not an RPG
>>
>>331805503
well, it is a fps
>>
>finally coming around to FO4
>up to about 90 mods
>all of them work like a dream without any issues
>try booting up New Vegas for old time's sake
>wanna try and beat Dead Money
>get about 8 mods from Nexus
>2 of 8 mods cause the game to crash on startup

life is suffering
>>
>>331804378
The quests are good, though. The gunplay is ok, not too terrible. Some guns are really fun, like AMR with explosive and incendiary rounds.
>>
>>331805567
Are there only guns or melee weapons? Or both? Maybe it'd be an FPS primarily if it just had guns but it doesn't.
>>
>>331804378
The gunplay was better than 3, at least. Nowhere near 4, obviously, but not shitting the bed terrible either. For me, it was a combination of the weapon and ammo variety, interesting locales, and solid writing. The Mojave feels like a lived-in place, something that 4 has succeeded at as well far better than 3 ever did. I'm inclined to cut Bethesda a lot of slack on Fallout 3 though, since they came into it having never made a game in that setting before. I don't consider Fallout 3 to be bad, just mishandled. There's sparks of genuine greatness in it that just don't permeate enough of the game to make it feel as well thought out as NV or the first two entries did.
>>
>>331805567
No... it's an RPG, are you forced into first person? are guns forced into your hands? No
>>
>>331805678
>90 mods
Like what? I've been watching weekly MOD shows but nothing really draws my interest.
>>
>>331805751
All of the cowboy action guns were sincerely great. Rolling into the late game with the Guide Gun was awesome if you didn't care about stealthing it.
>>
>>331805843
I like 3 if I make my own stories in it and avoid the actual story and progress through it with my own goals... and with a few mods.
>>
>>331805678
>2 of 8 mods cause the game to crash on startup

literally how????? with mo, loot, and fnvedit tracking mod problems is potato proof. you just click a single button that sorts everything and you're done.
>>
>>331805987
What I like is the variety, as well. I don't really care much about using cowboy guns (I don't mind the frontier themes one bit, though), but there's plenty of high-level guns that are different and good. Used unique pump-action for a bit, with perks and custom ammo, the thing kicked ass, sending enemies flying and all. Now trying out assault carbine and actually liking it a lot - native DT reduction on 5mm means all of its ridiculous DPS goes through. It's like a pocket minigun.
>>
>>331806092
I think that's a reasonable approach. Going off the rails is part of the enjoyment of these games anyway, and most of the best writing was tucked away in the side quests on the fringe of the map, like the Republic of Dave.
>>
>>331806297
>best writing
>Republic of Dave
your post makes my head hurt
>>
>>331806227
The unique assault carbine, All-American, is legit one of the best guns in the game.
>>
>>331805210
I think the crafting system isn't as in depth as it seems, it's like tiers of progressions with some (read: mostly useless) alternative upgrades. If there were truly options it'd be better, but I'm just theory crafting what they'd do.

Mostly unrelated but I really think they'd revert the leveling system to be more in-line with the original Fallout. From what I understand of the modding tools it wouldn't be that hard (and especially not challenging for a team of paid programmers) which could affect the crafting as well!

In F4's current system you basically have a bunch of useless shit and a bunch of necessary shit. And even then the game is a cakewalk if you build certain ways.
>>
>>331806419
I played with All-American too, but AA is a marksman carbine. Better damage, scope, but uses 5.56 and is semi-auto only. They look similar, both being modern-ish AR derivatives, but AC is a full-auto bullet hose and MC is a jack of all trades kinda gun - OK at any range, uses one of the most common ammo types, but doesn't really excel at any role.
>>
>>331806363
There was a lot of legitimate cleverness about the strengths and failings of small scale government in that quest, I felt. There's other examples like the bit with the slavers at the Lincoln Memorial that I really liked too, but as I said, I feel like 3 is the weakest of the 5 titles because Bethesda didn't really come into it with the strongest sense of what they needed to do to make it a good Fallout game, not just a good open world game.
>>
>>331806691
>3 is the weakest of the 5 titles
>5 titles
>>
>>331806582
Dang, you're right. My bad. I do know what gun you're referring to now. I prefer semi-autos to full-autos in NV and 4 though. I'm playing 4 with a damage rebalance mod that makes the double barrel worth a damn past the first 5 hours, and when fully kitted out it'll shred most enemies within range. There's something so satisfying about the heavy BOOMBOOM of that thing sending a pair of raiders' heads sailing across the room.
>>
>>331806908
Should have of the 5 I mentioned earlier, being 1,2,3, NV, and 4. I haven't played Tactics or BoS, so I really can't comment on their comparative quality.
>>
>>331806691
It's a quest about a dude on a ranch who is apparently so bored out of his fucking mind he decides to make some elections among his family. Because surviving the apocalypse is easy, I guess, you just sit there and have lots of free time and shit. There's quite a bit of cleverness in how FNV sets NCR as the "good guy" faction, but as you get to know them closer you realize they're way over their heads and how corrupt and incompetent some of their higher-ups can be. Republic of Dave is just one of those "hey, wouldn't it be wacky if" areas. Not exclusive to FO3 - FO2 had those too, but FO2 also had New Reno with its network of quests.

>>331806912
I guess it's the fact that most autos have a rather large spread in FNV, which makes them feel somewhat random, but assault carbine is accurate and fires really fast so it doesn't feel that bad. I also liked the minigun.

And while my char doesn't have much in Big Guns, I tried playing with some grenade launchers I found. Felt pretty good, so maybe I'll play an explosive character at some point. Grenade machinegun looks sexy.
>>
>>331807316
Grenade launchers with the CASE and CRAFT mods are fucking incredible. 25mm and 40mm buckshot, 40mm launcher proximity mines, timed grenades, solid slugs, and so on.
>>
>>331807316
I want to say his father was the one who got it off the ground, trying to keep order and all that. They do it much better in 4, where the wasteland mentality of might makes right extends to places like Goodneighbor.
>>
>>331804378
>the only decent thing about it is the gore and sometimes funny responses
how's the 8th grade going?
>>
File: 497.jpg (9 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
497.jpg
9 KB, 177x278
>>331805678
>tfw have 90+ mods in new vegas and the game runs flawlessly
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.