[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Adventure game has a music themed puzzle >Expects me to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 7
File: 1446851332366.gif (325 KB, 157x178) Image search: [Google]
1446851332366.gif
325 KB, 157x178
>Adventure game has a music themed puzzle
>Expects me to know how to read sheet music
>>
>>331730185
>not knowing how to read sheet music
You are joking, right? No wait, you are baiting me. You must be.
Because nobody who can read and write could be this stupid, right?
I mean come on, it's not a hard concept; higher the note - higher the sound.

Come now.
>>
>>331730868
As much As I'd Love to agree, it's not As black and white As that.

There's notes, half notes All the way to 8th notes, from translations, to horizontal stretching, to shearing and so on.

So.... It's dependant on what OP was reading.
>>
don't know how to read music but recognize patterns and stuff when I hear it
>>
File: image.jpg (462 KB, 2320x2320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
462 KB, 2320x2320
>>331730185
>he can't read sheet music
Christ education really has gone down the toilet
>>
>>331730868
That's not how music theory works, shitposter
>>
i hate those musicians who don't know music notation and claim they aren't missing anything through their lack of knowledge

it's so easy to learn too
>>
>>331731907

it might be inefficient but someone that learns music completely by ear is probably more creative
>>
>>331731992
go ahead and link the research that proves this
>>
>>331731992
and is more useless because you can't make them play something.

>"what's a crescendo? what do you mean staccato? what do these things mean?"

If you're an adult that can't read sheet music, literally kill yourself. Unless your a drummer, then keep it up.
>>
>>331731601
well, It is Christ Education; that started on the toilet.
>>
>>331732274
*tips fedora*
>>
>>331730185

2casual2loom
>>
>>331732151

just saying, that someone that learns by the book is going to be close minded and stubborn more often than not

>>331732217

what's wrong with jazz and folk music?
>>
>>331732217
Or you could just not be a dick and teach them.

I've been in bands with faggots like you, trying to tutor other people to learn scales in the most patronizing way possible.
>>
>>331731992

Or he's doomed to reinvent the wheel
>>
>>331730185
>game has a music themed puzzle
>song plays in 1 room after you trigger a minor event but the actual puzzle is in another room
>the song doesn't play in the actual puzzle room where you have to play the song on a piano that doesn't sound very similar to the song that you just have to remember from the other room

RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That was a fucking stupid puzzle in Undertale.
>>
>>331730868
what if im completley tone deaf and its near impossible to hear how high or low a sound is?
>>
>>331730185
i hate that short movie
>>
>>331732337
you're an idiot.

>>331732402
you can learn and practice pitch recognition unless you're one of those extremely rare people whose brains just can't.

you should learn music. it's very enjoyable.
>>
>>331732337
Nothing.

>>331732356
If I'm joining an ensemble or create one, I expect a standard of competence from my musicians. There's everything that's wrong if you can't read music.

But then again, I'm probably too harsh on you and your garage band.
>>
>>331732494

there's no need to read music to learn music by hearing it, is the point
>>
>just saying, that someone that learns by the book is going to be close minded and stubborn more often than not
>someone actually and sincerely believes this

>>331732498
what do you play, anon? i'm a trumpet and mandolin player.
>>
>>331732451
why
>>
>>331732665
and someone who is serious about playing and learning music yet doesn't prioritize learning music notation is hampering their growth.

it's literacy. learning to share information efficiently doesn't close your mind and cause stubbornness.

refusing to learn closes your mind and causes stubbornness.

learn music notation.
>>
>>331732698
>>331732873
Not the guy you're talking about, but some of my favorite amateur composers/artists have very little formal training, and I still find their shit more interesting than most professional music I listen to these days.
Obviously if they ever go pro they need to learn that shit, but the idea that you need to learn the book stuff first and foremost before you ever start trying things out is... I dunno, I don't feel like finishing this thought.
>>
>>331733046
it has nothing to do with formal training, this is basic training.

it doesnt matter if you want to hire a professional to teach you or do it yourself, you still should do it
>>
>>331732873

i like hearing it. seeing notes... there's no feeling in that, it's robotic and stiff.
>>
>>331733046
do you not realize that your personal taste isn't a good rubric for education of a musician? how does notation stifle creativity? it allows me to write ideas down so i don't forget. it allows me to communicate with other musicians easily.

finish your thought instead of pulling back and avoiding discussion.

>>331733159
i hear the notes when i read sheet music because i've done it for years.
>>
>>331732384
it was a stupid puzzle in FF7 too
>>
>>331733519
>finish your thought instead of pulling back and avoiding discussion
No, it's 3:30 in the morning where I live
>>
>>331733726
2:30 AM for me. don't weasel out. own up to your words.

by the way i'm pulling quotes from the retard posts in this thread and texting them to a friend who attends the curtis institute. he thinks you're all hilariously misguided
>>
>>331733893
Gee thanks, I only made two posts in this thread
Glad to see you cunts would rather laugh at people than encourage growth
By the way, I never actually planned on getting into music, and probably never will if everyone's like you cunts
>>
>>331733893
I agree with your argument, but that friend shit has no bearing on this discussion at all and makes you look petty.
>>
>>331730868
Wow thanks, now I can be a composer!
>>
File: 1430971845471.png (3 KB, 140x141) Image search: [Google]
1430971845471.png
3 KB, 140x141
>>331732274
>implying a christian based education system wouldn't have mandatory music lessons

have you ever heard of hymns
>>
>>331734057
Don't be, everyone in the industry is cunts like >>331733893
>>
>>331734002
What? We're laughing at you, saying that someone who has no theoretical fundament of music is going to be more creative than someone that does indeed understand the field. From the looks of it, you probably wouldn't last long in music if you're so offended by this argument and think music is oh so easy.
>>
>>331731992
Yeah i sort of agree with that. Learning by ear really improves your musical ability, as opposed to just reading the notes.

Also:
Music theory != Notation
>>
>Talks of education in thread
>People seriously think you NEED to learn sheet music
>>
>>331733893

not a musician though i just listen to music... dicked around a few times in mario paint
>>
>>331734172
You're really fucking reaching right now
>>
>>331734184
You absolutely do if you don't want to look like a fucking scrub in front of any trained musician.
>>
>>331734002
>>331734079
i guess i fell for trolls

>>331734036
good. at this point i doubt they're sincere. if they are then maybe embarrassment will lead to self awareness.

>>331734179
reading notes and learning by ear aren't mutually exclusive
>>
>>331734172

That was me, never said that. But... it's possible to learn music and understand patterns by hearing it without having any kind of formal education. There's more to music than standard melody progression hence why I brought up jazz and folk
>>
>>331734330
>embarrassment
From what? Two cunty cunt cunts at a snobby music school laughing at Anonymous posters on the internet?
Do you do this shit all the time?
>>
>>331734406
notation has nothing to do with melody or harmonic progression. most jazz musicians know or knew how to read.

>>331734454
it's very easy to learn. just try it.
>>
>>331730185
Fag
>>
>>331734406
Of course you can, but that doesn't make you more creative than someone who actually understands things like keys and scales that someone with no theoretical background would have a very vague and abstract concept of. Saying someone who doesn't know notation or theory is more creative than someone who does is like saying someone who can't code or model is more creative than someone who can. It's a rather ridiculous concept that doesn't really have any basis in reality. Learning the theory behind music wouldn't stifle your creativity; if anything, it would amplify it. I speak from experience.
>>
>all these idiots who confuse music notation with music theory or formal education

you don't even know how to read english
>>
>>331734586
Did you misquote me? Or is this some kind of subtle meta-mockery?
>>
>>331734676
no. you clearly have some kind of hangup about notation. i'm only trying to encourage you to try to learn.
>>
>>331734586
Coming from someone who has gone to school for music and who has been playing instruments for most of their life, I have met players who cannot read who are far better than some musicians who can. Just because it is easy for one doesn't make it easy for another. My father has played bass for thirty some years, and still cannot read music. Still don't know someone in person who can play bass like him, near as well as him. You're being pretty snobbish iirc lmao.
>>
>>331730185
Every
Good
Boy
Deserves
Fudge
>>
>>331734313
You're a fucking idiot. It's obvious you're only insecure about your actual creative ability, which is why you put a physical skill you know like sheet reading on such a high pedestal.

Truth is, you can teach a monkey to read and write music, in a day. Just give him reference notes.
But actual musical skill takes years to develop, being able to hear music and recognize intervals and chords, playing your instrument well and knowing where the notes are, being able to improvise, compose, arrange etc. All that has got fuck all to do with text reading.
>>
>>331734632

in coding it probably won't compile if there's an error. things can sound good in a variety of ways
>>
>>331734632
I'd just like to say that operating computer software is a completely different ballgame than strumming on an instrument.
Also, hypothetically speaking (I'm not getting to music, mind you) what would happen if I didn't notice any change in my composing techniques before and after extensive theory learning?
>>
>>331734763
some players who cannot read certainly are better players than some who can read due to the fact that most musicians who live can read.

is your father a better bass player than edgar meyer?

all that has nothing to do with the fact that notation is simply a method to share information. not some brainwashing technique as some people itt seem to believe.
>>
File: grand-staff-note-names.png (53 KB, 1000x270) Image search: [Google]
grand-staff-note-names.png
53 KB, 1000x270
>>331734805
Expanding on that.
>>
>>331734172
>From the looks of it, you probably wouldn't last long in music if you're so offended by this argument and think music is oh so easy
And confirmed you're just an arrogant cunt.
>>
>>331734862
You bring two guitarists to a rehearsal. One of them reads, the other can't. They both play great, but when you switch songs and put a new work in front of them one of them gets stumped and needs to hear it first before playing it.

You call only one of them back the next day.
>>
>>331734862
why would you not learn notation if you devote your life to music? what possible reason exists?
>>
>>331734895
You get what I mean.
In the rare occasion that happens, you would probably benefit from knowing how to enhance your compostion with the vast amount of theory you learned.
>>
>When people think that Rhythm Heaven is hard

Can you really not count to 4 and keep a beat?
>>
>>331735083
Not him, but if I ever get into music (which I won't), it'll be purely hobby
>>
>>331735223
You'd be surprised.
>>
>>331735242
even as a hobbyist, notation is super convenient. you can record your ideas on paper or computer, easily share that with others, learn a piece or phrase or idea of music without having to hear it, visually correlate intervals and chords, a lot of oher benefits. and it's a very simple system to learn.

it's just a tool. i don't know why people are hung up about it. it's just as important as good listening skills.
>>
>>331732384
>music volume based on your proximity to the musicbox
>musicbox located in the center of the room
>no matter which way you enter, you can't hear the first note required for solving the puzzle unless you turn the volume up

Seriously, how did Toby fuck up so hard?
>>
>>331730185
>shooting game
>that one fucking driving level

>simple puzzle in an action game
>it is literally the same in every game
>>
File: YzAKQxK.jpg (173 KB, 989x1200) Image search: [Google]
YzAKQxK.jpg
173 KB, 989x1200
>>331730868
>>331731601
>>331732217
>>331732873
>>331733893

>Art majors who are so asshurt that they wasted their life and money on a useless talent
>Have nothing better to do than lecture random people about how useful reading sheet music is

Fucking lmao
>>
>>331735456
I'm not sure I see what you're saying. The statue plays the song when you give it the umbrella, and you can hear the music just fine; it loops
>>
>puzzle involves trying to imitate a piece of music from sound alone
>end up re-playing the music 800000 times trying to get it right

music puzzles were a mistake
>>
i have a group of friends who all were choral singers at some point in life. one of my favorite things to do with them is grab the sheet music for any choral pieces we like and sight read them together.

sure one can be an incredible musician without knowing how to read, but it's much harder to grow as a musician without knowing notation
>>
This thread fucking sucks, I was expecting >greentexting, but got libcucks with useless degrees complaining about useless shit.

>>331735223
>white people
>beat or rhythm
>>
>>331735046
Yes.

>>331735083
It's just a useful skill. An orchestral musican probably has more reason to learn it than a folk musician, or an electronic producer.

It's just that people here are using their text reading skills to be condescending towards others and say things like "you have no place in music". How can that possibly be helpful? If you're confident in yourself as a musician and a person then you don't say dumb shit like that.
>>
I used to be able to read sheet music but not playing any melodic instrument for over a decade made me forgot how it works.

I mean, do you shitters expect everyone to be an active musician?
>>
>>331735505
>>331735731
do people really exist who believe studying music in school is a waste of time?

>>331735775
it's the few people who argued that not knowing how to read actually makes you a better musician. literally arguing that lack of education makes one more capable.

i think most of the posters here would agree that notation is a necessary skill. of course someone can be a good musician without it. but they can learn so much faster if they know notation.
>>
>>331735958
>do people really exist who believe studying music in school is a waste of time?

Are you fucking crazy? Of course it is.

Explain how music notation is helpful for any STEM degree.
>>
>>331735775
You can be a good musician without reading, don't get me wrong.

But you could be so much better by reading.
It really is required if you actually want to study it and not just take it as a hobby. Do you have a place in music? Well yes, probably, but you won't have a place with the big guys.
>>
>>331736048
i got into music cause of school classes. just like you got into memorizing physics formulas you dumb engineer.
>>
>>331735958
>do people really exist who believe studying music in school is a waste of time?

>learning a skill that's completely irrelevant for most high paying jobs
>not a waste of time

Are you going to try to convince me how pottery and watercolors are important skills for my everyday life next you liberal arts degree shitter?
>>
>>331736048
>STEM is the only thing that matters in life

Top lel
>>
File: VGA_2015.png (247 KB, 490x470) Image search: [Google]
VGA_2015.png
247 KB, 490x470
>>331730868
>Anon pretends to know about music
>Concept of Music Theory:
>higher the note, higher the sound.
>THATS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW!
I hope you kill yourself from realizing how much autism your spreading.
>>
File: Nintendo conspiracy.jpg (54 KB, 186x261) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo conspiracy.jpg
54 KB, 186x261
>>331730868
>higher the note higher the sound
>all these butthurt replies
>>
>>331736215
You're right, fuck music. Let's all live in a communist utopia! I have my assigned role as a screw inspector, what's yours?
>>
>>331736268
Look, I'm going to be generous and assume you're well-paid and happy with your useless life choices; but to assert that everyone should learn a highly specialized skill that is useless in MOST careers is insane.
>>
alright libcucks, riddle me this: donald trump doesn't know music notation, yet he's about to become the leader of the greatest country on earth and make it even greater.

how do you explain that?

>>331736423
fuck the idiots in this thread who said that everybody NEEDS to go to college and learn music notation. let me link all those posts:
>>
>>331730185
These puzzles were really fun back in time, because there was no internet, you had to search everywhere, your uncles, your mom, yours friends, you had to search for somebody who could read a music sheet, and this could transofrm into quiet an adventure !
>>
>>331736423
Fuck dude, I know, right? Learning that small section of Ode to Joy on a xylophone was so fucking specialized my deterministic, absolute brain couldn't handle it!

It's fine if all you want to do in life is crunch numbers in an office. No musician in this thread ragged on stem people until you insecure fuckheads came in an attempt to make yourselves feel better about your lives.
>>
>>331736134
Yeah i agree it's a must if you intend to study at a university level, or play in a classical ensemble. Doesn't have much to do with whether it's a hobby or not, since many professional musicians can't read music. Probably because they don't need it as much.

>Do you have a place in music? Well yes, probably, but you won't have a place with the big guys
Now you're bullshitting again.
>>
>>331730185
>fellow musicians want to play music with me
>expect me to know how to read sheet music
>>
>>331733725
It was also optional in FFVII

Any game can have any assbackwards, outside of genre, ridiculously difficult puzzles if it's for optional sidequest stuff.
>>
>>331730185
>not being able to read sheet music

You got me with this b8
>>
>>331736625
Not really. Everyone you hear on the radio can probably read sheet music, Kanye included.
>>
>>331735505
>knowing how to read music must mean I have a useless degree

It was part of my basic fucking education in middle school.
>>
is rebel galaxy a good game?
>>
>>331736865
Me too, but I'm not a delusional idiot like the person I replied to and believe it's an essential skill.
>>
>>331732384
It literally shows you what to do if you stand near the piano for 5 seconds
>>
>>331736957
An essential skill for a musician. How fucking dense and stupid can you be?

No one here gave a fuck about non-musicians before you came in here shouting M-MUH DEGREE!
>>
>>331736957
Look at this illiterate pleb desperate for damage control. See you in the office tomorrow, bub! Hope you're ready for a fulfilling day of staring at pipe flanges.
>>
>>331730185
Outcry / Sublustrum, right?
>>
>>331737016
>No one here gave a fuck about non-musicians before you came in here shouting M-MUH DEGREE!

>Didn't read the first reply of the thread

K
>>
>>331737041
Sure thing, maybe I'll toss a nickel in your guitar case on my way if I'm feeling generous :^)
>>
some epic stem trolls in heah desu friendos
>>
>>331737134
The first reply of the thread, which said you must be trolling if you couldn't read sheet music?

>>331737164
You really think you'll amount to anything in life? That you'll contribute to engineering wonders like the next golden gate or the rocket that will take us beyond Mars? Is this why you come in this thread out of nowhere to feel better about yourself?

We musicians know we won't do much either, but we know we do it for ourselves. Are you doing whatever you're doing for yourself, or because your dad told you you needed to be arbitrarily useful in life and earn lots of money to be successful? You're only fooling yourself.

Enjoy calculating the volume of a screw's head, nonetheless.
>>
>>331737312
You're delusional. Here's a skill you should have learned instead; reading comprehension.
>>
>>331737437
Le epic troll. Enjoy living your dad's life.
>>
>there are people who can't read sheets
American education?
Apex kek.

>there are people who play an instrument (usually guitar) and can't read sheets
Pathetic.
>>
I'm learning to play piano and read sheet music.

It's pretty fun. I want to learn to play the title song from Wind Waker.
>>
>>331730185
Did you not have a music class in middle or even elementary school?
>>
>>331734970
We learned it as "All Cats Eat Garbage" and "Great Big Dogs Fight Animals."
>>
>>331737000
originally it didn't, they added that in an update
>>
I don't understand why this even deserves a thread, reading sheet music is very simple and would take any functioning adult a minute or two to pick up. I also don't understand why people are going on about music theory when the OP obviously refers to notation.
>>
>>331730185
I weep for my country.
>>
>>331736048
>Explain how music notation is helpful for any STEM degree.

That's like asking how knowing the basics of Dynamics helps you play the trombone. They're two separate areas but it's good to have a well-rounded education; colleges make you take several general electives to make your knowledge more well-rounded instead of just focusing on one highly-specialized thing.
>>
>>331731181
>half notes to 8th notes
16th notes? Whole notes?
People are this stupid.
>>
>>331730185
basic music lessons are taught here on the 4th grade.
>>
Can someone recommend what a person who wants to get into music production should start with? What would I need to learn first before downloading a DAW?
>>
>>331731181
>Translations
>Horizontal stretching
>Shearing
Do you actually think these come up?
I implore you to find me one video game puzzle this is more than simple sight reading in a major key.
>>
>>331738875
Don't overwhelm yourself is all i can say. Keep musictheory.net bookmarked.
>>
>>331738672
Engineers learn calc in college and they don't remember half that shit after a few years why the fuck would you expect anyone to remember some useless trash taught in 4th grade.
>>
Is it easy for people to just hear music and know the notes?

Shit like that always screws me up.
>>
>>331738052
If you're old enough to post here middle school was already 5 years ago, let alone if you're older
Who would remember useless information from that long ago
>>
>>331740872
>Who would remember useless information from that long ago

Anyone who paid attention in class?
>>
>>331731181
Stop randomly capitalizing As you autist.
>>
>>331739351
No. Pitch perfect hearing is very uncommon.
>>
>>331741908
What if it happens to be a person who isn't interested in music production? Shouldn't someone like that be pressured into becoming an artist? What a waste.
>>
I don't know, most musicians don't have it and they get by fine. It's not that game changing i think.
>>
>>331743251
meant
>>331742297
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.