[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went wrong? his games used to be so good...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
what went wrong? his games used to be so good...
>>
>>331685772
I consider him to be gamings George Lucas. The only reason he succeeded in the first place was because he got lucky and happened to have a team of cool people put together a bunch of amazing shit, then he got a big head, ditched all the people that corrected for his natural batshit tendencies, and now he thinks he's hot shit despite the fact that he never actually had any exceptional talent.
>>
>>331686272
I think this is the case. He's a brand at this point, but it's clear whatever he had that made Double Fine good is gone.
>>
Here's a list of the past 5 games he personally and directly worked on:

>Broken Age
Trash

>Double Fine Happy Action Theater
Casual shit for kids

>Costume Quest
Decent little XBLA game, witty, amusing and fun for a while

>Brütal Legend
Good game even if it has flaws

>Psychonauts
Excellent

Then you add in Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle.

I don't know man, he made a blunder with Broken Age but aside from that his track record has still been pretty great if you ask me.
>>
>Friend bragged about how he got to meet him at GDC
>Ask him why he didn't kick him in the balls
>UGH SO PROBLEMATIC WHY WOULD I DO THAT PSYCHONAUTS 2 MAN PSYCHOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAUTS TWOOOOOOOOOOO

San Francisco poisoned his mind

I loved Psychonauts and Full Throttle but that doesn't make this man any less of a fucking hack and a bastard
>>
I played his older games recently. The humour is really dated. I didn't even crack a smile.
>>
>>331688502
If Psychonauts 2 is good I will eat my fucking words, but I'll also be REAL surprised.
>>
File: dsadsa.png (294 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
dsadsa.png
294 KB, 500x500
>>
>replayed Day of the Tentacle, just because I put ScummVM on my phone
>have a fucking great time, never need to look anything up, one of the tightest adventure games ever fucking made even with its time-travel premise and swapping items back and forth, great style, great writing, really great music
>remember sometime while playing it that Tim Schafer is a complete turd now

Why does everyone good in this world die, kill themselves, or turn into a worthless asshole?
>>
>>331687403
>he made a blunder with Broken Age
Blunder is an understatement. While the first Broken Age was much better, the second one was a huge disappointment.

Asking for $400k and then needing over 3 million (then running out and needing more), is a huge red flag, especially when a lot of the assets from part 1 were reused. That, and the length and plot of the game were far worse than last time.

Between this and the way he acted out with Kotick and his GG jokes, it's clear he's just a jackass who got lucky.
>>
>>331689291
My god, you losers are still salty about the GG joke? Grow the fuck up already.
>>
>>331687403
>Casual shit for kids
Opinion obliterated

Go fuck in a fire, faggot
>>
>>331689652
>
Are you okay, anon? There isn't a statute of limitations on pointing out general fuckery. If you do stupid shit, you gotta learn to hantz the bantz. Otherwise, you're just a shitter with nothing to substantiate your shitty existence.
>>
File: orig_1333136017.jpg (42 KB, 447x611) Image search: [Google]
orig_1333136017.jpg
42 KB, 447x611
Iron Brigade was a great game. Oh wait... he didn't direct that.
>>
literal ideas guy
>>
I don't know. Most of his latest games were kind of bad, but Psychonauts is great.
>>
>>331688923
>even with its time-travel premise
but anon, that design choice is what make the puzzles so great
DOTT wouldn't be the same game without that mechanic
>>
>>331692269
I wasn't saying the puzzles were good in spite of them, I'm saying they managed to be so good despite time travel being a concept so easy to FUCK UP.
>>
>>331692401
What are other games with time travel that don't fuck it up with nonsense while also not playing it safe? Shadow of Memories comes to mind.
>>
>>331692862
I can't think of a whole lot, most games with time travel either treat periods of time like theme parks, or they get so convoluted and full of holes that there may as well not even be a story.

Maybe Chrono Trigger?
>>
>>331688923
>le "take the science book and read it to the horse so that he falls asleep to steal his teeth to put on a dead fuckilng mummy in the future so he wins a human competition" meme
fuck off with your obtuse puzzles they weren't even funny.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 643x558) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 643x558
>>331685772
>Psychonauts 2 will have a forced GamerGate joke
>>
>>331692862
>>331693117
The second season of Telltale's Sam & Max has an episode with time travel puzzles, Chariots of the dogs, and is brilliant.
Also it has a senile Sam of the future repeating cliché phrases of adventure games like "I can't use those things together"
>>
File: 2675469-8419024878-chris.jpg (40 KB, 637x346) Image search: [Google]
2675469-8419024878-chris.jpg
40 KB, 637x346
>>331685772
>what went wrong?

he contracted CRoberts' Disease
>>
>>331693319
>multiple characters mention how the book could put someone to sleep
>one of the categories to win the human competition is "Best Smile"
>horse keeps his dentures in a cup while he sleeps

All of that makes perfect sense in context.
>>
File: Yoshio-Sakamoto.jpg (196 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Yoshio-Sakamoto.jpg
196 KB, 400x600
>>331686272
>I consider him to be gamings George Lucas
I'm pretty sure Sakamoto fits that role way better.
>>
>>331694654
Also you can talk with the horse about how great his smile is.
People who said old lucasarts puzzles are obtuse are retardeds who don't even pay attention to the clues.
>>
>>331687403

Brutal legend was good for the first 15 minutes then for whatever reason it turned into a 3rd person tower defense game
>>
>>331686272

This, although George Lucas is much better at actually completing projects. Schaeffer is just an idea guy.
>>
He's essentially a fraud
>>
>>331694713
No one fucking cares about metroid or ur opinions on other m you little faggot
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.