[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have new computer able to play AAA games on top settings, yet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: latest[1].jpg (81 KB, 639x762) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
81 KB, 639x762
Have new computer able to play AAA games on top settings, yet playing games from the 90s.

Pic related is what I'm playing
>>
File: blood - zombie shootan shotgu.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
blood - zombie shootan shotgu.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>331657908
well that just proves that you're a smart player.
The modern AAA titles suck major ass.

I've spent most of my time with AA games, older classics, and mods in the past 5 years.
Webm quite related, finished this babe for the first time couple months back.
>>
>>331657908
No love for Duke Nukem?

Post your fav pc games
>>
>>331658995
I don't think I ever had more fun playing fps than with Blood
>>
File: Stunts map editor.gif (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Stunts map editor.gif
27 KB, 640x480
>>331659036
>Post your fav pc games
uhh... from the top of my head:

Doom -games
Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior 3D
Half-Life -series
Quake 1 & 2
Serious Sam -series
STALKER trilogy
FEAR + expansions
Portal 1 & 2
Far Cry 1
Crysis 1 + expansion
Max Payne 1-2
Worms: Armageddon
System Shock 1 & 2
Fallout 1 & 2
Killing Floor
Red Orchestra 2 + RS
Warcraft 3 + TFT
C&C: Red Alert 1 & 2
Witcher 1
STUNTS!
>>
File: dq8ps2_wallpaper_002[1].jpg (204 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
dq8ps2_wallpaper_002[1].jpg
204 KB, 1024x768
>>331658995
Yeah but I could have just played all these games on a toaster. If not for the ability to play ps2 games in like 5x resolution with AA and all that good stuff I would feel like I wasted my money. Just got to rhapthorne on this
>>
File: CoP AK pretti.jpg (508 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CoP AK pretti.jpg
508 KB, 1920x1080
>>331659329
I always find the idea of finally being able to play some of my older favorites with everything maxed out, with mods and forced extra AA/AF if needed, and still keep high framerates reason enough to upgrade once a decade.

I'm still running my 2011-built i5 2500+8GB+560ti set, and no game yet has been unplayable on it. I guess we can thank consoles and the huge amounts of cheap multiplat titles holding back the progress.
>>
>>331659720
What is the best fairly modern game I could get into? I'm pretty new to pc gaming. Something that will actually utilize my specs.
>>
>>331659720
Also I don't know anything about modding
>>
File: stalker guide v1,42.png (1 MB, 1536x1250) Image search: [Google]
stalker guide v1,42.png
1 MB, 1536x1250
>>331660027
assuming you haven't already tackled it, the STALKER trilogy. Easily one of the most /v/-core PC exclusives everyone talks about all the time.

Consult this Starting Guide,
then see the /vg/'s huge Stalker General for more tips and links: >>>/vg/stalker

Play in the release order. Start with no mods - only latest patch, OR get the full "Starter Pack" first; these contain bug-fixers and light visual mods that can help performance as well.
Leave big overhauls for later playthrougs. Avoid the "Complete" -mods. Always play on MASTER difficulty for best realism and atmosphere, and disable crosshair.

Don't give up in the beginning! The starting gear sucks ass and first area may be a bit boring.
>>
>>331660248
>MASTER difficulty
Enjoy your human-tanks eating almost full clip.
>>
Every single Windows-running device I ever had got this installed at some point.
>>
>>331660248
Is there any downside to pirating it? I don't really want to pay 20 bux for a game from 07
>>
>>331660589
muh nigga
>>
>>331660625
Of course no, nobody plays multiplayer.
>>
File: 51QWZY5X4ZL[1].jpg (62 KB, 423x500) Image search: [Google]
51QWZY5X4ZL[1].jpg
62 KB, 423x500
>>331657908
been 17 years and I still can't stop playing
>>
Well Duke Nukem 3D is a great game that is timeless. Get some Doom and Heretic/Hexen on that shit too, OP.
>>
>>331657908
Play the 2013 Shadow Warrior. It's great, but requires a meaty rig to run it correctly, even the XP version.

Seriously, my prvious computer could run perfectly any game i had, AAA or not, except that one.
>>
File: The 3 Stages Of Stalkan 2016.jpg (636 KB, 986x897) Image search: [Google]
The 3 Stages Of Stalkan 2016.jpg
636 KB, 986x897
>>331660568
>Enjoy your human-tanks eating almost full clip.
way to show you know jack shit about anything STALKER related. The HIGHER the difficulty, the MORE damage everything inflicts. This means you die faster, but so do your enemies.
METRO 2033 pretty much copied this idea later on, and no wonder, since the team behind it had some old GSC devs on board.

>>331660625
Nope. The old devs won't get a single cent out of the purchases, and by pirating you tend to get the original 1.0 release versions, that you can then patch to anything you want, which can be handy in case you want to try some big overhaul mods.

That being said, I've easily put thousands of hours to all 3 games during the years. 20 bucks is quite a deal for such titles, and the series goes for sale every other weekend.
>>
>>331660568
>I have no idea what I'm talkng about
>>
>>331661067
>Play the 2013 Shadow Warrior. It's great
That game was fucking awful. Literally stains the original SW3D.

You also must've had super shitty PC to not be able to run that thing. AMD card?
>>
Currently playing Ultima Underworld 1 right now and it's fantastic.

I haven't played/bought a modern AAA or indie game in months and have been spending my time playing older DOS games.
>>
>>331660625
Funny, considering how I'd much rather pay the 20$ for some 1998 games than anything else made in the past few years.
>>
>>331657908
Same really. I can play pretty much anything but keep going back to old 2.5D shooters.

They're just that much fun.
>>
>>331662379
Well, it's because they're actually games instead of movies that you "play."
>>
>>331661363
Not him but I agree.

I played SW2013 first, got bored near the end and dropped it.

Played Shadow Warrior and finished it, then finished both expansions.

Seriously the new one is an insult to the original. The guns are weak as shit, the areas are mostly arenas, the "secrets" are pretty lame, and the enemies got so fucking bullet sponge-y near the end. The new Lo Wang wasn't even as funny as stereotypical old man Lo Wang.

Also did we really need that RPG upgrade system nonsense?

I wouldn't mind it if the game was called "Blood Ninja" or "Deadly Warrior" or whatever, I just don't see why they had to use the name Shadow Warrior then being almost nothing like it.

I dread to think what a Blood reboot would fucking be like.
>>
>>331662784
Doesn't help that Blood 2 was a total shitheap anyway.
>>
>>331662491
That and there's so a lot of user made content for old FPS games, so there's more to them than just the campaign.
>>
>>331662784
>RPG upgrade system
this right here is one of the biggest cancers ruining shooters nowadays. Alongside with regen-health and weapon limits.

I hate D44M already since it's already confirmed to have that shit as well.
>>
was the remade Sin episodes any good?
>>
>>331662940
I loved Doom for this. There's so many amazing user made level packs/weapon mods etc. that you can almost never stop playing it. Same with Quake and Duke 3D, but Doom still has the most I think.

Also Chex Quest is the shit.
>>
>>331663164
Personally I got bored with it because it was too easy, but it did have some pretty good levels
>>
>>331663280
Did you play it on it's equivalent of Ultra Violence? But also remember that it was made to be played by kids after they got the CD in a cereal box.
>>
>>331658995

If I had a dollar for every FPS I played with gargoyles as enemies.
>>
>>331658995
Can you easily play Blood on newer Windows systems yet? I haven't heard of any source ports or such.
>>
>>331662784

Well
>Would be BLOOD in capital letters
>Dynamite bundles would work like grenades, no other options for it
>Tommy gun would be replaced with an M4 or some military shit like they did with Serious Sam
>Heavily toned down gore because casuals
>RPG upgrade system
>Deep and detailed pitchfork combat system
>>
>>331663046
>regen-health
I like the compromise where you have few independent regenerating parts of bar like in MoH: Airborne or AvP 2010. So you may faceroll in some cases but still depends on medkits. Either this or being able to keep some kits with you.
>>
>>331663402
Yeah I know, but I just wish someone made an extra difficulty for that, like a monster multiplier or something
>>
>>331663560
>>Deep and detailed pitchfork combat system

Wouldn't mind that
>>
File: BLOOD burning cultists.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
BLOOD burning cultists.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>331663560
>Can you easily play Blood on newer Windows systems yet?
DosBox is still the only way to play it, unfortunately. The dumbfucks who currently own the IP still haven't released the source-code, so source-ports are a no-no.

That being said, I played through BLOOD and its fan-made DeadWish expansion just fine on W7 x64 couple months ago, using DosBox. Yeah, I had to learn how to do that disk mounting jazz to get cutscenes work, and played on 320x400 resolution (seriously), but overall it wasn't anything too hard or annoying.
>>
>>331664657
I think Kaiser (guy who did Doom 64 EX and Powerslave EX) is working on Blood. Read something about it on /vr/
>>
OP here, just bought some games on steam that were on sale

RE4 HD
Serious Sam HD 1&2
Grim Fandango remaster
>>
>>331667339
Fun fact: You can play Serious Sam TFE through Serious Sam TSE. Just select the "Egypt" levels in TSE and you'll play through the first game's campaign.

I recommend doing it this way since TSE has way more mods avaliable for it anyway
>>
>>331668418

What the fuck?
>>
>>331665404
i didn't know about that powerslave EX thing. but why has the creator taken down the links?
>>
AAA games suck.
>>
>>331669183
probably cos copy rights
>>
>>331669353
Hate to sound like a hipster, but I agree.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.