[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you pinpoint the exact moment when this franchise jumped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 2570867-603392962_1365921782.jpg (345 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2570867-603392962_1365921782.jpg
345 KB, 1600x1200
Can you pinpoint the exact moment when this franchise jumped the shark?
>>
Likely during Atlantica when you had to fight one, dohoho
>>
>>331632414
The moment they made Aqua.
>>
Deep Dive
>>
After the first game, but then KH2's final boss jumped the shark while it was on fire and did a sick loop de loop afterwards. All of the spinoffs and whatnot were kind of unnecessary.
>>
>>331632414
Game-wise:
>That's not Ansem, it's just some guy going around telling everyone he is Ansem.

story-wise:
The second Sora used the keyblade on himself and made the story complicated as fuck as a result.
>>
>>331632414
I'm still excited about KH3 and all that but I'd say 3D was the true point where I was just completely mind boggled by the retardation of some of the shit they put in that game.

Still great action RPG
>>
DDD, probably. The 'THERE'S ACTUALLY THIRTEEN XEHANORTS' thing is just a new low for the writing.

That said KH3 still looks fun as duck to play and I'm too invested in the characters to stop playing now.
>>
>>331633365
>duck
dumb phone poster
>>
Nanomachines being the answer to anything.
Throat parasites that taught humans language, but also give super powers except never explained at all.
Two of the same character except one is actually the real life you.

Pick your poison.
>>
>>331632980
>An impostor
>revealed as early as the first game
>jumping the shark
Do you consider any plot point straying from "character goes from point A to point B to do task 1" to be jumping the shark?
>>
>>331633286
Pretty much this.

Up to that point, the story was simply "complicated." Now it's as if they've been making things up as they go this whole time.
>>
>>331632414
Chain of Memories
>let's make a spin-off game for a different console
>let's make it a card-battle system
>let's make it an actual sequel and kill off five of the new villains
>let's only vaguely mention what happened in KH2
>>
>>331633365
>THERE'S ACTUALLY THIRTEEN XEHANORTS
Way to either misinterpret or misrepresent the actual plot point.
>>
>>331633365
I did feel fairly betrayed by that and "I'M ALREADY HALF XEHANORT." It made most of my friends who were fans consider dropping the series.

Most of them will probably get 3 anyway, myself included. I want to see what further crazy it can pull out of its ass.
>>
>>331634160
>It made most of my friends who were fans consider dropping the series.
If they didn't see that shit coming the moment Braig had brown eyes instead of Xigbar's golden eyes in the beginning of BbS, that's their fault.

That shit was telegraphed so hard. There's even a punch-in to his (now golden) eye at the end of the game when Aqua asks him "Who are you?"
>>
>>331634262
But seeing someone have golden eyes could have just meant some corruption planted by Xehanort, or that Xehanort was preparing him as a backup body that he could hop to if he ever got Terra's all fucked up.

The fact that they were becoming Xehanort copies wasn't certain until that reveal in DDD.
>>
For me it was Birth By Sleep.

CoM and 2 started going off the deep end, but at least they were moving forwards. Aside from the Ansem switcheroo most of what was introduced didn't really seriously change what had already been established.
BBS is such a clusterfuck, and it changes so much retroactively, and on top of that it ends on a multiple cliffhanger. I got tired playing it halfway through the third route, and I still haven't recovered; I can't bring myself to even try out RE:Coded and DDD.
>>
>>331634438
Re:Coded is largely self-contained. If you don't think you would mind the (surprisingly divisive) genre-shifts that happen between levels, I recommend it. I thought it was a fun little game.
>>
>>331634429
>some corruption planted by Xehanort
You mean like seeding them with a part of his heart?
>was preparing him as a backup body that he could hop to if he ever got Terra's all fucked up
To be honest this is more convoluted than what actually happened.

Moreover, Terra didn't need such preparation. Xehanort simply stoked the flames of darkness inside of Terra (which had already existed naturally).

>>331634438
Re:coded is pretty dang good, and its story is pretty low-key.
>>
I dropped the series when I was a kid after I waited 4 years for KH3 but got a prequel and some shitty DS game, I just couldn't bother.
>>
>>331634675
>waiting for games that don't exist
Fucking why
>>
>>331632414
>Can you pinpoint the exact moment when this franchise jumped the shark?
When?

WHEN

Literally the second the game starts and the theme song plays, because the games themselves are jump the shark incarnate.
>>
>>331634616
See, the only aspect I found shitty about that whole thing was that we were getting 13 Xehanorts, instead of an actual assembled villain team.

But honestly, I didn't even find it that shitty. It was a mild disappointment, really. My use of "betrayal" was probably a bit too extreme. And even now, I'm not sure if the whole "13 darknesses" thing could have been approached better. Most of Org 13 coming back and being "super ebil" again? Fucking Disney villains becoming some number of the 13?

And though I'm largeley agreeing with you...
>To be honest this is more convoluted than what actually happened.
That wasn't the point. I was just arguing that characters simply having yellow eyes doesn't fully facilitate taking the logical step to said characters becoming Xehanort clones.
>>
>>331635349
The opening is pretty fucking nebulous, but saying it jumped there is stretching the definition of "jumping the shark" past its breaking point.
>>
>>331635629
Normally I would agree, but Kingdom Hearts isn't really a new franchise. It's a spinoff of two other franchises. It's Disney and Final Fantasy jumping the shark together into something new.
>>
>>331632414
Deep Drive is probably the correct answer. It was a "this some cool shit" tech demo that they then had to live up to and integrate into the story.

Still the coolest shit I ever saw when I first saw it
>>
>>331636068
That's beautiful, anon.
>>
>>331636075
>tech demo
It was a conceptual trailer for a potential sequel.
They were rough ideas that Nomura had for a sequel (which at the time was only a hope)
>>
CoM, even though I love it.

>Let's make a bunch of sequels but label them like retards so everyone assumes they're sidequels.
>>
>>331636712
CoM was before we even had a defined numbering scheme in the series titles so I don't know why anyone would have thought CoM was anything other than a real sequel, aside from being on GBA I suppose.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.