[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what would Rare be like today if Microsoft never bought them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
what would Rare be like today if Microsoft never bought them?
>>
Less shitty
>>
>>331574563
Slightly less shitty. Many of the talented employees left before the split anyway.
>>
Probably fantastic.

>quirky and funny games on Wii which use the controller well
>VC games everywhere
>KI, perfect dark, new DK 64 on Wii U
>>
More furry girls
>>
Dead. Nintendo's executive meddling would have eventually caused a bunch of canned projects and they wouldn't bail Rare out and would likely then dissolve them unfairly.

Similar sort of thing happened with Project H.A.M.M.E.R
>>
File: Best Christmas Ever.jpg (28 KB, 256x187) Image search: [Google]
Best Christmas Ever.jpg
28 KB, 256x187
>>331574563
You know whats interesting? Rare covered Nintendo's ass big time during the N64.

The released 10 games during that period. Thats insane. So if say, OoT got delayed, Rare was there to cover the slack.

People like to say Retro is the new Rare, but thats not even close to true given Retro's output and quality.

Also, fuck me, I want Diddy Kong Racing 2 so badly.
>>
>>331575992
>Donkey Kong Racing never
>>
>>331576119
Thats less of a blow.

I just really loved DKR, the idea of a hub you can just screw around in is so cool
>>
File: 1456421488081.png (4 KB, 303x243) Image search: [Google]
1456421488081.png
4 KB, 303x243
>>331574563
Still making slow motion Mario 64 rip offs with tumblr-level puns all over the scripts.
>>
File: +5+.png (1003 KB, 875x808) Image search: [Google]
+5+.png
1003 KB, 875x808
>>331574563

They would be on the same place studios like Retro are now.
On life support.
>>
>>331576641
I'd be okay with that, there are no Mario 64 rip offs any more

I had a lot of hopes for Hat In Time but that shits never coming out
>>
>>331574563
Why did Luigi turn into Zelda?
>>
>>331575992
Got it as a christmas gift too. Holy heck, that was amazing.
>>
>>331574563
Reminder that Viva Pinata was made with a huge budget and then didn't make money back before microsoft ran them into the ground

Viva Pinata was an idea conceived wholly by RARE and they would've run with it had they remained independant too; it might now have killed them then and there but even though it's a success in the fans books it sold like shit because it has aesthetics for a 6 year old audience
>>
>>331579130
sad, viva pinata was a fun game
>>
I picture a life of Rare keeping with Nintendo. They would have kept releasing memorable gems. And only Rare could use the DK license with creativity and charm. It's a shame, really.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.