[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this game still hold up 14 years later?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: morrowind1.jpg (970 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
morrowind1.jpg
970 KB, 1280x960
Why does this game still hold up 14 years later?
>>
It doesn't, really. I like it, but I don't know how it got big. Even back then, it was incredibly abrasive.
>>
>>331438012
>but I don't know how it got big. Even back then, it was incredibly abrasive

It was never popular like Oblivion and Skyrim was. And its abrasiveness made you adapt to different play styles. Those 2 traits are why it's still good. It wasn't a casualised baby's first RPG
>>
>>331437882

Because you're an autist who can't play anything new.
>>
>>331437882
i find myself having to mod the fuck out of it in order to enjoy it.
and im not just talking about graphics. gameplay tweaks and stuff.
>>
File: 98251913.png (49 KB, 325x324) Image search: [Google]
98251913.png
49 KB, 325x324
>>331438308
>i find myself having to mod the fuck out of it in order to enjoy it.
>and im not just talking about graphics. gameplay tweaks and stuff.

Casual.
>>
>>331437882
Most games still hold up 14 years later. I'd argue Gothic held up better in terms of combat and atmosphere.
>>
>>331438406
>enjoying morrowinds shitty combat system

sorry im not hardcore like you.
>>
>>331439417
>Most games still hold up 14 years later.

This, at least good ones. Good gameplay doesn't really have an expiration date.
>>
>>331439728
Unless they're 2D or early 3D with poor framerate
>>
>>331439858
2D games have held up fine and those early 3D or 2.5D games are often deeper and more intricate than modern games.
>>
File: 7e7.png (313 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
7e7.png
313 KB, 600x432
>>331440048
>those early 3D or 2.5D games are often deeper and more intricate than modern games

dude half presses lmao
>>
>>331437882
>holds up
Hell no, has the most boring laughable combat ever assembled in an RPG (Which is a shame since it's also the TES last to use polearms and throwables). Only rose-tinted autists defend it.

Not to say Morrowind didn't at least have neat worldbuilding ideas that I wish carried over into Oblivion/Skyrim,
>>
>>331440842
>Hell no, has the most boring laughable combat ever assembled in an RPG

Confirmed for low agility pleb.

You just had to learn how to play it right, it wasn't hack and slash like TES IV and TES V.
>>
>>331441061
>enjoying long unreactive fights further hurt by artificial misses
>>
idk why you faggots are arguing about it, combat has never been good in any TES game, dice-rolls or not
>>
>>331437882
The vast majority of the NPCs in this game have literally copy pasted dialogue. And I mean literally. It is actually copy pasted. Even important NPCs still have copy pasted for a lot of their dialogue options.

A lot of the quests are shallow, way more than in Skyrim or Oblivion. In Morrowind you have numerous quests that are just "go collect 5 flowers" and just that. Or quests that want to feel like they have depth, but then fail miserably, such as finding a Telvanni spy on the mages guild only to complete the quest and have the NPC saying "Well, thanks. I'll take care of it from now GOOD BYE".

Fanboys will show up from nowhere and say I'm lying, but I'm really not. All I've said to this point was not opinion, I was just stating how things are. Now my opinion is that the only thing this game has for itself is a somewhat interesting combat system and exploration that is, by no means, more interesting than any other TES game.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.