[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it cool to hate this game all of a sudden? Why can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
Why is it cool to hate this game all of a sudden? Why can't people grasp how important it was? Is /v/ really this under aged?
>>
why are you taking anything is douchebags say to heart anyway?
if you personally enjoy something then enjoy it, don't let this shithole taint your opinion.
>>
>>331416357
Not sure if false flag
>>
>>331416357

What was important about OOT ?
Every previous zelda game is superior to it
>>
>>331416357
>all of a sudden

its cool to hate anything nintendo as soon as it releases m8
>>
You can acknowledge the importance of a game but you don't need to like the said game
>>
>>331416576
Basically this. A Link to the Past was a better game anyway.
>>
>>331416503

This is the kind of shit I'm talking about. Are people really this clueless? It's not perfect by any means, but jesus fuck, it's like ''contrarian for the sake of being contrarian'' has formed into this awful, genuine belief.
>>
>>331416627
A link to the past was boring as fuck.
>>
>>331416357
I was like 12 when it came out, I was very poor so it was only the second N64 game I ever had, I had been looking forward to it after reading about it in friends' Nintendo Powers.

It was alright. Idk. It was fine.

Since then I've played through Link to the Past another half dozen times, I've maybe played through Ocarina once more.
>>
>>331416357
the visuals don't hold up today and /v/ is full of mustard fag frame whores.
>>
That's just it. It WAS important but it just doesn't hold up as well as you might think. It's still a fine game, not horribly broken or anything, but it's not the 10/10 masterpiece it was once thought of as. Solid 8/10.
>>
>>331416503

>every previous zelda game was superior to it

are fucking joking m8? zelda II is absolute horseshit, and LA barely scrapes an 8/10.
>>
File: electraonsuicidewatch.png (447 KB, 634x470) Image search: [Google]
electraonsuicidewatch.png
447 KB, 634x470
>>331416357
>Is /v/ really this under aged?

Kids born in 1998 are now 18.

Most of /v/ grew up with PS2/PS3 era.
>>
>>331416503
Being a good game isn't what makes it important.
It had an enormous influence on how people develop 3D games.
>>
>>331416357
Being a contrarian shows how hardcore you are.

Only filthy casuals like popular games.
>>
Most of /v/ really is too young to have played it now.

It's kind of sad.
>>
>>331416357
>posting let´s play shit
yeah skipped im not even gonna talk this title. fucking gamegrumps drone.
>>
>>331416854
This guy gets it. OoTs and super mario 64s influence is still seen in 3d games developed today
>>
File: baby-on-computer1.jpg (25 KB, 406x296) Image search: [Google]
baby-on-computer1.jpg
25 KB, 406x296
>>331416961
>>
I played this a few weeks ago. I liked it, and understand the impact it made on 3d game design, z-axis and all, but I don't see anything special in it.
It's a good game, solid all around, but dungeon design is one of the worst of any 3d Zelda game (only two of them are really great imo), overworld was pretty barren and side quests forgettable mostly.
I still think it's a must play, but is nowhere near the best Zelda games in terms of quality.
Also I think Alttp made more impactful changes to the formula.
>>
>>331417682

But while ALTTP basically defined and finalized the Zelda formula, OoT revolutionized 3D gaming as a whole.
>>
>>331417682
>I don't see anything special in it
If you'd played it when it came out you might have.
>>
>>331417014
except that's made up bullshit
>>
>>331417813
I can understand why, but it shouldn't be a reason to hold it in high regard as a videogame.
As I said, the game is good, but there are many better games, in the same genre and even in the same series.

>>331417862
You might be right, but I don't easily let nostalgia dictate my opinion of a game, so you might be wrong also.
>>
>>331417949
We wouldn't even have GTA3 without OOT, and I can't even begin to imagine what the past 10 years of games would have looked like without the endless tides of open world games derived from GTA3. Ubisoft would be completely unrecognizable as a company for starters.
>>
>>331416357
It probably because of a certain raptor with an ego.
>>
Most influential games of the 80s:
Super Mario Bros
Tetris

Mos influential games of the 90s:
Mario 64
Ocarina of Time

Most influential games of the 00s:
Halo 2
Grand Theft Auto 3
>>
I respect how revolutionary OoT was.
That doesn't mean It is necessarily the best game in the series, because in my opinion it's the weakest of all the 3D Zeldas.
>>
>>331416357
/v/ is contrarian. OoT is popular. Take a wild guess why /v/ hates it.
>>
File: 1456862175603.png (105 KB, 294x306) Image search: [Google]
1456862175603.png
105 KB, 294x306
Look anon, I don't hate it. But as time went on, some parts of the game did NOT age well. Plenty of the game has that timeless feeling, like a fine wine, but in comparison to many games of the time, and many games of the present, it leaves much to be desired. If I was to list a few problems, I guess I would say the following:

>no difficulty modes, meaning that once you've mastered the games combat (which is piss easy) than the game is a breeze. No extra challenge. This is a problem in 2016 because no remake or port has ever fixed it. The most they've done was the master quest, which put in some rather dumb puzzles and didn't do much with the game

>alot of the game's content is cryptic, but not in a good way. There's weird parts of the map and NPCs that kinda go to waste and aren't expanded upon. Like the story between the guy in Kakariko and Anju, and the weird potion witch. It's just left vague for no reason

>massive swathes of the game field are empty and lack content. Hyrule Field is the biggest offender, being nothing mroe than a glorified hubworld which is so useless that the game invents songs of traveling so you can skip going through it over and over. I believe the only thing, the ONE thing, that Hyrule field has of interest is the running man

>cutscenes are unskippable, which is really dumb and intrusive, and kills any desire I'd have to replay the game.

>a good 50% of your items become instantly useless later in the game. Deku nuts, deku sticks, bombchus, etc. I don't even remember the last time I utilized them unless it was for some gimmicky puzzle

Just a few problems.
>>
From a modern context it's still a legitimately good entry in its series and genre, but it's not anything special anymore. I mean that's mostly a "Seinfeld isn't funny" syndrome thing but it doesn't make it less true.

In its day though it completely earned its perfect scores though. Holy shit man when OOT was new.
>>
>>331416357
Its a great game
WW SS TP and MM are just better
>>
File: latest.png (366 KB, 601x883) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
366 KB, 601x883
The game is pretty bad, to be honest. Most of the puzzles in the game really betray the fact that it's an early 3D adventure game. They're mostly simplistic "push this block here".
>>
Some of the gameplay kind of sucks but the dungeon atmosphere is untouched even today. Shit like the Forest and Spirit Temple are just amazing
>>
>>331423208
The forest temple is pretty shit
>>
>>331423208

Alot of the dungeons are pretty terrible though. Dodongo's Cavern, for example, is really just a series of bland corridors. Even the boss isn't that impressive, since he barely feels like he's in 3D. The fight is just a bland 2D experience. Gohma even felt like a better boss, since he utilized both the ground and the ceiling in multiple attacks.
>>
>>331423613
The first three dungeons with young Link are lackluster to say the least.
Adult Link a best, though some of them are pretty underwhelming too (Forest is just too basic to be fun and tedious to explore, Shadow is just bland and too gimmicky with the lens of truth)
>>
>>331423295

nigga thats the best one
>>
>>331423907

I agree with you there, though I will say at least Dodongo's belly had some redeeming features to it. It had a good spatial awareness to it, feeling like a true 3D dungeon. IT had an interesting premise with Ruto, although at times she felt a little gimmicky, and the boss was the first one that really utilized the game's third dimension even moreso than Gohma. Gotta love that Parasitic Salad Dressing: Marinade.

Screw Big octo though. That squid adling turd.
>>
>>331424156
>Dodongo's belly
>Not Jabu Jabu
>>
>>331424306

Oh yeah, that was his name. My mistake.
>>
>>331416854
Thats fine, but the influence a game has on the industry can be separate of ones personal opinion on the games actual quality. I understand how important of a milestone it was, but that doesn't stop it from being a fairly shallow adventure game for anyone who plays video games more than casually.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.