[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the /v/erdict on the Strider reboot? How is the replay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: strider.jpg (59 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
strider.jpg
59 KB, 500x280
What's the /v/erdict on the Strider reboot? How is the replay value?
>>
I couldn't finish it since there was a bug with the PS4 version they never fixed. For what I did play, the devs put challenge over fun if that's your bag.
>>
It's pretty babby-mode easy, so I don't think the replay value is all that high. Still, the game can hold its appeal through a single runthrough.
>>
Pretty good, I'd say it's a 7.5/10

Replay value is meh. You can do it to get the speedrun achievement and that's it.
>>
It's fun, the core mechanics are solid. You basically follow a map and kill everything while going from place to place. A good game to quickly pop in and get some satisfying gameplay for a bit. Not sure about replay value, but it's several hours long.
>>
For me it started off real strong, but became less enjoyable as the game went on and they introduced different types of plasma and enemies who could only by harmed by specific types of plasma, and all sorts of real powerful abilities trivialized combat.
I felt like the level design got less interesting as the game progressed as well.
Also the bosses are pretty lame.

I'd give it a 7/10.
Would have enjoyed a linear game with the same mechanics and less power-ups and shit much more. Metroidvania structure doesn't really suit Strider, I don't think.
>>
>>331391441
I liked the bosses, but I'd say your opinion is spot-on.
It's a game that properly deserves a 7, though, which means it's enjoyable. Too much completely mediocre crap gets a 7 nowadays which make the score sorta tainted.
>>
Is this game like ninja gaiden for nes but without the hard shit?
>>
It's a poor man's Metroidvania but still manages to be a lot of fun. Difficulty is pretty actually pretty decent; I've been stuck on the tower in hard mode but that should honestly be expected.

I recommend it.
>>
I got bored around 3/4 of the way through and still haven't gone back to finish it. The gameplay seems solid, just not interesting enough.
>>
File: strider-hiryu-hd-bust.png (372 KB, 700x620) Image search: [Google]
strider-hiryu-hd-bust.png
372 KB, 700x620
I just looked at Steam, it's $15 right now. IMO, that's worth it.
>>
strider has an ability the game never tells you about, if you hit a boss fast without getting hit you enter a super mode in which all your normal attacks become charged and time slows down, you can mantain that as long as you keep attacking and not getting hit
>>
>>331392438
That's not just during boss fights, as far as I remember.
>>
File: 1458002278333.jpg (60 KB, 476x687) Image search: [Google]
1458002278333.jpg
60 KB, 476x687
Boring as fuck.
The combat is repetitive to all hell, the "secrets" are unrewarding, the bosses are all the same, the voice acting is arse too.

I
>>
>>331392509
yeah but you hardly fight anything that takes that much damage
>>
>>331392438
That sounds like the mode you go into when you hit an enemy (doesn't have to be a boss) a certain number of times without getting hit. You can see the gauge fill around the kanji at the top left.
>>
It's repetitive. It was kind of cool for the first hour, but the physics combined with the shallow combat and easy difficulty makes for a very depressing game.
>>
I bought it on sale and I couldn't put it down. It's incredibly fast and fluid. It's not the most in depth Metroidvania but it's certainly fun as hell and the level design is pretty good for a Metroidvania. I think a lot of that is mainly due to the gameplay philosophy behind a Strider game forced the devs to make interesting layouts instead of just corridors and shafts.

The one thing I didn't like was the final Plasma type offered nothing unique or good. It was just a shitty unlock key.

If you love speed running, the replay ability is pretty high. I ended up playing this game over and over.

>Fighting Solo the first time
>Having difficulty beating him and avoiding his attacks
>Fighting Solo on my 4th hard mode run
>Chop his ass down to half health before he even finishes his first phase attack and abuse the Adrenaline Mode or whatever for double damage

Game goes right up there with all the other Capcom 2D revivals.
>>
>>331390061

>a western shit studio makes a new game of a beloved Japanese property

What the fuck do you think, faggot?
>>
I hate Metroidvanias. Castlevania was one of my favorite games growing up, fucking loved everything about it, and then Symphony of the Night came out and I have never felt such a soul crushing disappointment from a video game ever. But then I found Strider, which was basically just a super charged hyper fast absolutely fucking insane Castlevania game in a way, side scrolling platform action kick the ass out of everyone in your way with super rad difficult boss fights.

And then this came out. I had heard it was being made by Double Helix so I was already pretty upset. People started to turn around on DH being a bad dev after Killer Instinct, but I never understood why because that game was fucking garbage. So I play this game and I basically watch the second death of a beloved franchise. Like okay I have a personal vendetta against Metroidvania but this shit isn't even a good Metroidvania. Terrible level design with pointless hallways all over the place, bad platforming, the enemies are so fucking stupid you can just autopilot areas, SO MANY HEALTH DROPS THEY MIGHT AS WELL JUST GIVE YOU RECOVERING HEALTH, this is not a Strider game. Fuck this game. As a Metroidvania it's below average and probably fine, but fuck this game forever.
>>
Pretty fun
>>
>>331390061
its a mediocre game, if you like strider stick to the old games.

To this day I tell my friends this game has regen health with how much you get even on hard.
>>
>>331392974
Metroid Prime thread?
>>
I liked it, it plays well and looks nice.
>>
File: tmp_2185-header(3)2106866408.jpg (34 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2185-header(3)2106866408.jpg
34 KB, 460x215
>>331392974

A modern masterpiece
>>
>>331391441
>Metroidvania structure doesn't really suit Strider, I don't think.
The lack of fast-travel in the game was a nightmare for collectibles. Sure, you got it in the end but it was so lackluster that you still had to run through half the damn map.

>>331392429
No.
>>
>>331393106
>To this day I tell my friends this game has regen health with how much you get even on hard

There's no regenerating health
>>
>>331392974

>Capcom Production Studio 8
>Western Studio
>>
>>331393289

The exception proves the rule.
>>
>>331393365
when you kill enemies they burst more health then you can lose so yes to me there is
>>
File: reboots.jpg (1 MB, 1567x1616) Image search: [Google]
reboots.jpg
1 MB, 1567x1616
>>331393070
Pretty good list, but I had to change MM9 and MHX.
>>
>>331393534
Change it back. It was correct before and now it's fucked.
>>
>>331393448

That is a western dev house, you ignorant fucking retard. The same talentless hacks that made garbage like Final Fight Revenge, so they got two chances to ruin the series.

You know nothing about Capcom, fuck off
>>
>>331393312
Is 15 seriously too much for a good but quick game?
>>
>>331393481

That's not regenerating health. They drop a bit of health and you're free to collect it if you're a slow ass piece of shit who plays it incredibly safe.
>>
>>331393108

It was a damn good series man. It may not be 2D, but it was still great.
>>
>>331393289
>tfw the game meant to hype up the reboot was 10 times better than the reboot itself

Rearmed is great but I still think a 3D Bionic Commando game has a ton of potential. Too bad it's never going to happen again at this point.
>>
>>331393605
It's a pretty mediocre game, not to mention it goes on sale often AND was on bundle $1 tier a while ago. Wouldn't recommend at full price at all.
>>
>>331393534
>MHX above MM9

What the fuck are you doing
>>
>>331393618
>slow
dude its hard to miss getting them you have to actievly avoid getting them which would be slower. I never saw the need to upgrade my health they gave so much
>>
>>331393534

I like MHX but it was just a straight up remake that really didn't do anything interesting or different enough to play it over the original. MM9 may have been a MM2 cock sucking nostalgia trip but it at least made a very well polished Mega Man game that brought the focus back to weapon variety and balanced it out to the point where every weapon was fun, unique and useful. It's up there with MMX in terms of weapon balance.
>>
>>331393695
I will fight for the rest of my life that BC09 was a lot better than people give it credit for and it got a lot of unjustifiable hate over shit that doesn't matter. Yeah it has problems, mostly because Capcom Japan completely fucked over the development process and cut the budget for the game, but it's still a really solid game.
>>
>>331393861

The best way I found to get people into BC09 is a multi-player swinging session. Let them mess around for a bit and watch you pull off sweet tricks. They'll get Hooked .

Too bad they shut down the servers.
>>
>>331392198
You're just not hammering that attack button hard enough. Hard mode is easy.
The unlockable color swaps are stupid, there is no new game + mode. Also the text boxes when characters talk are annoyingly big. It was an enjoyable game though.
>>
>>331393961
No kidding. If people actually gave the game a chance, the multiplayer alone would have been enough for people to think it was a great game. That was some of the best online shooter games I've ever played. But sadly people will never get over the new Spencer or Wife Arm.
>>
>>331393779

He is correct. MM9 is cheap deaths The Game.
>>
>>331393831
I wasn't that big of a fan of MM9. I could see that they were trying to make a good Mega Man game, but as I played the levels and realized that at least half of them have minibosses that break up the flow of the stages and shit like the disappearing block gauntlet at the end of Plug Man's stage really grated on my nerves. It felt like they got halfway through development before they just said fuck it and rushed to get the game distributed.
>>
>>331393807

If you're obtaining every drop of health they drop, then you are slow.

Slash, slide or kunai them and move on. Don't stop and slice every single enemy. The beauty of the game comes from the fluid movement and never needing to stop.
>>
>>331394267
>The beauty of the game comes from the fluid movement and never needing to stop.
Until they start throwing enemies with unnecessary amounts of health or which are only weak to one weapon type at you, yeah.
>>
>>331393070
>>331393534

Is UGnG really that good? I thought it was PSP trash
>>
>>331394267
I do slash them and run through them your right about kunai but the game still makes it almost impossible to die.
>>
I think I got it in some Humble Bundle

Is it worth starting?
>>
>>331394267
You don't even need to pick up every single fucking one, there's so much fodder and they drop so fucking many health vials that sprinting through them is not an issue. You don't have to be careful at all and you certainly don't need to stop to pick up all of them for the health drops to be a problem. The game is designed to let you win.
>>
>>331393861
I think that the swinging mechanics themselves were excellent. Probably even the best in video games. It's just everything else that let the game down. The most egregious of which being the radioactive gas invisible walls. It felt bad being reigned in so much when the swinging felt so good.
>>
>>331394487
Do you feel like playing a decent Metroidvania? Then yes, go for it.
>>
>>331394871
I didn't have that much of a problem with it. All of the BC games are linear, I don't see why it's a problem when 09 is. I kinda feel like because of Spiderman people want everything with swinging to be open world even when it doesn't need to be.
>>
>>331394398
The revision that came out in Japan only is really good.
Ultimate is only pretty alright.
The original creator worked on it, if that means anything to you.
>>
Strider 2 is so much more fun. I was playing the reboot earlier and popped in the older ones to see how they were since it's been like 10 years, and holy shit I didn't remember 2 being this awesome. It's easy but it's great in aesthetics and music and stuff.
>>
>>331396303

I disagree heavily. Strider 2's flow is constantly being broken due to the short stages and load times. The compact design leads to some poor and uninteresting level design dye to everything being bite size. Strider 2 is ultimately a weaker because of it.

Osman is what I consider a true follow up to Strider. That is mainly thanks to a majority of the development staff from the original Strider being involved with it.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.